Making Of Fire Emblem: Tharja Concept Designs

Uchu~

After receiving my copy of the 25th Anniversary Of Fire Emblem book, I flipped through it just looking at the pictures planning to translate and read it later, and I came across the page with some concept artwork for Fire Emblem Awakening characters, Tharja included. I found her two original concept artwork, and I thought it was interesting.

I'm sorry for the low quality of the picture, as I took it with my phone. I am quite glad that they chose to change the design of Tharja, that design does not look as if it would have made Tharja as memorable as she is now. What are your thoughts on the original concept artwork for Tharja?post-17225-0-30803700-1451512342_thumb.jpeg

I'll edit this post with a way better format for the pic later, once I have access to my PC again.

Ah, thanks for the edit! You saved me some work.

I've just seen it in the making of fire emblem, since I haven't bought knights of Iris (just going to wait for the English version next year).

The other design, next to the one that's also present in Knights Of Iris, I'm not sure if it's another design of Tharja but I believe it is. That one seems to be a never before seen design if it is.

Stalker and creepest character...yeah, nice one IS...really don't like those types.

I think it's supposed to be "hot" because they liked the fact someone's actually paying attention to the player. Like, "hey im terrible with girls but this hot anime chick is all over me". Surprisingly, she's the most popular FE13 female character.

I think it's supposed to be "hot" because they liked the fact someone's actually paying attention to the player. Like, "hey im terrible with girls but this hot anime chick is all over me". Surprisingly, she's the most popular FE13 female character.

According to the Japanese popularity poll back in 2012, Tharja got third most popular in the female category, stalking directly behind female Robin (2nd place). Lucina got 1st place for the female category.

According to the Japanese popularity poll back in 2012, Tharja got third most popular in the female category, stalking directly behind female Robin (2nd place). Lucina got 1st place for the female category.

Main character bias states that Tharja is in fact best grill

Perhaps. But there are much more creative (and less offensive, and more geographically correct) ways of making something attractive than making it wear less.

Posted · Hidden by Balcerzak, December 31, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, December 31, 2015 - No reason given

Perhaps. But there are much more creative (and less offensive, and more geographically correct) ways of making something attractive than making it wear less.

Yeah, but she's not exactly memorable in a good way...

She's only extremely popular do to her choice of clothing. That's supposed to be 'hot' but to me its not really that appealing.

Nah, the lady beside Tharja in your pic is Miriel, which was also in KoI.

KTSBTtT.jpg

Oh, they didn't have Miriel labeled as a number and it was close to Tharja but now I can tell thats Miriel.

I actually like her concept art more than the final design. I think I like the one that's wearing the black long sleeve shirt best, probably because it reminds me of my first f!MU.

That was the one I was thinking of myself :D:

Tharja is only popular because she's sexually appealing. If they had went with the more modest and subjective concept design you posted, I doubt so many people would excuse or fetishize her behavior. :p

I will say though that I really like the other design shown in KoI. She looks a bit more motherly or mature. Not that I would want a mother figure to be the kind of person Tharja is, though.

I personally believe the concept tharja design has its charm. However in the picture from the 25th anniversary book she looked like a guy to me. (Suprised miriel looks identical to her concept art when tharja is so different.)

Edited by Mackc2

I personally believe the concept tharja design has its charm. However in the picture from the 25th anniversary book she looked like a guy to me. (Suprised miriel looks identical to her concept art when tharja is so different.)

It could be a case of the writers not knowing what Tharja was saying and that Miriel was speaking as clear as day :D: the best writers have their characters "talk" to them.

Tharja is only popular because she's sexually appealing.

Since when is that kind of dress appealing, though? It's basically a big, fat beacon advertising impending disloyalty! That's supposed to be a turnoff!

Suprised miriel looks identical to her concept art when tharja is so different.

Concept art is made at all stages throughout the design process- the more different Tharja art could be older than the Miriel art, or it could be an indicator some artist spent more time revising her. I do recall some translated interview somewhere where one of the lead devs said Tharja was his favorite character...

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Seeing as Lucy & Robin are the Top 2 (wasn't Robin 1rst in male category?), I can see that.

I love Tharja's humor. She's funny in a macabre way. She's not just a hot body IMO.

You have to admit, being hot sums up 70% of the equation. And when I say "hot", I mean "scantily-clad with a bod". You know, in case you were wondering~

Burnt to a crisp, sure. But not before having her skin destroyed by sunburn- that mesh isn't blocking anything. And after that, she'll get freeze-dried, since deserts are cold at night. That lone cape is not going to keep away frostbite.

If you wanted to strand someone in a desert with absolutely no chance of survival, it's pretty hard to think of anything worse to make them wear. The cape is likely heavy too, and there's even exposed metal touching the body- I bet that gets nice and toasty as well. Not to mention, stuff- especially metal- expands when it gets hot and contracts when it cools, so it could get a little tight at night, and cutting off circulation won't make you any warmer. It might even siphon off some heat then too. Yessirree, Tharja is dressed for desert suicide.

Now, if you want to see someone who actually is dressed for a desert, look at Libra. Oversized, baggy white clothes that reflect the sunlight with minimal skin contact, leave as little exposed as possible, and are well-ventilated yet thick? Pretty hard to beat that.