Which Fire Emblem characters would you like in Super Smash Bros. 5?

NewDisplayName

What "Fire Emblem" characters would you like in Super Smash Bros. 5?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which veteran(s) would you like in SSB5 (more options possible)

• Marth
    • Ike
    • Robin
    • Lucina
    • Roy
    • Corrin
  2. 2. Which newcomers (which appear in more than two games in the main series) do you want for SSB5 (more options possible)

• Tiki
    • Anna
    • The Pegasus Sisters (Catria, Est, Palla)
    • Camus
    • Jake
    • The Black Knight
    • Other (who?) ...
    • None of these
  3. 3. Do you want an lord / protagonist from an older game? (more options possible)

• Alm
    • Celica
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Lyndis
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Micaiah
    • Sothe
    • Chrom
    • Azura
    • None of these

But they are an issue. And they'll continue to be an issue for decades. Ask anyone if they'd like a Smash Roster with every prexesting character and every character they could ever want and they'll no doubt say yes. Unless they're just naturally vindictive towards certain characters (in which case you could probably sway them pretty easily by saying you'd be able to beat them up).

You're missing my point.

The situation I'm describing is that if Sakurai reaches a point where he can add an extra character who is a veteran (because a newcomer would require extra work), which won't affect the planned release of the game nor anything else that's already in the game.

Think back to Melee when Sakurai stated that prior to the release of the game he had enough time near the end to add either a unique newcomer or six clones. In the end he went with the clones, but he also could have called it quits right then and there and not add anyone else. THAT'S what I'm talking about. If extra characters can be added to the roster without affecting anything else, is there a benefit in choosing to add nothing?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what your saying. Like I said, I don't think anyone would oppose to having their cake and eating it. If that were the case. It just isn't.

Thank you.

That's all I was saying.

Well, I wouldn't be butthurt or anything if Lucina and Roy were kept (if Corrin, Ike, Marth, and Robin also stay). Unless they were chosen over other characters that I like that were considered. Like, if Sakurai said "I think I'll make Lucina unique instead of add Dixie Kong" I'd be really disappointed.

Jave, wouldn't you feel the same if Inklings were in Dixie's place in that sentence?

Edited by Anacybele

Marth, Ike and Robin with the rest of them being cut.

aren't you that guy completely salted by Corrin and Bayonetta

Corrin is easy to be mixed about but lol at not liking our goddess Bayonetta

so should I take that suggestion to rend the Fe characters in half seriously? I'm leaning no.

Well, I wouldn't be butthurt or anything if Lucina and Roy were kept (if Corrin, Ike, Marth, and Robin also stay). Unless they were chosen over other characters that I like that were considered. Like, if Sakurai said "I think I'll make Lucina unique instead of add Dixie Kong" I'd be really disappointed.

Jave, wouldn't you feel the same if Inklings were in Dixie's place in that sentence?

I don't think you can equate decloning a character with adding a newcomer. Both would require plenty work, but with the veteran you don't have to build a 3D model from scratch. Also, assuming Sakurai would want to bring in Splatoon mechanics for Inkling (something I wouldn't put past him), she'll likely end up a character who would require extra work to develop than your average newcomer.

Because of that, I can assume that if Sakurai chose to declone Lucina (something I'm not against for) over adding in Inkling, it would be because Sakurai simply couldn't do the latter.

Add literally every FE character ever to the roster, I want to see the salt

Real answer: Keep everyone, and add Tiki and Chrom so he gets his chance

If we're adding another GBA lord, I'd go with Lyn over Axe Marth and Lance Marth any day.

My dislike of Leif aside, I feel would be the best choice for a Jugdral rep, so add him if we truly need one

In short:

Marth

Ike

Roy

Robin

Lucina

Corrin

Tiki

LynMaybe

LeifBIG maybe

Lyn's good for representation because you can claim she represents the Myrmidon class, one of the most staple classes in the series with plenty of characters, skills and unique weapons to draw inspiration from.

Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Kamui as veterans. Don't like the idea of them cutting a unique character, and Roy shouldn't be cut again. Lucina isn't necessary though.

Newest FE lord as newcomer.

Lyn, Ephraim, or Micaiah as newcomer that will never happen. But I would be fine with Sigurd, Leif, or Hector too.

Anna, Tiki, and the Black Knight as assist trophies.

I would love to see to the Black Knight as a playable character, I voted for him in the last ballot.

As for returning characters, I don't really play the game too much, but I would like to see Ike back. I'm not too bothered about the rest, although it would be nice to see Micky playable.

Edited by General Zelgius

I'm always a little late to the conversations.

Yeah if we were to get a Jugdral character, I feel that Leif would be the best. He's a popular character, at least among Fire Emblem fans, and he could represent Jugdral and the SNES era of the series. He does use a sword and Sigurd would probably be more unique, but Leif just seems like he'd be the better choice.

And I see people adding actual reasons for their lists, so for me:

Lyn: Significance due to being the first protagonist audiences outside Japan were introduced to in an official FE game and could represent the introduction of the series to western audiences (meaning the first FE game westerners got to play, not meaning the introduction from Marth and Roy in Smash Bros.), could follow Little Mac and be promoted from an Assist Trophy to a playable character, could be unique among other swordsman due to her quick-draw fighting style, could represent the Myrmidon/Swordmaster classes.

Ephraim: Unique due to wielding a lance and not a sword and would most definitely have a unique style because of it, could represent the lance-wielding characters and classes of the series.

Micaiah: Unique due to being a pure magic user, could represent the magic-wielding characters and classes of the series.

Honestly, Micaiah is not high on my priority list. I would not at all be very disappointed or upset if she was never made playable, or if another character was chosen over her (like Leif for instance, or another future FE protagonist, or Lyn and/or Ephraim!). I only list her because I think it'd be cool to have a pure magic-using FE protagonist, and she'd be the best choice in my opinion. However, I also think Robin does a good job of representing magic despite not being a pure mage due to his sword. So...I really wouldn't be upset if she never made it in. She's really just a big "it'd be kinda cool" character on my list.

And I of course want all six veterans to return, for various reasons.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

I'm always a little late to the conversations.

Yeah if we were to get a Jugdral character, I feel that Leif would be the best. He's a popular character, at least among Fire Emblem fans, and he could represent Jugdral and the SNES era of the series. He does use a sword and Sigurd would probably be more unique, but Leif just seems like he'd be the better choice.

And I see people adding actual reasons for their lists, so for me:

Lyn: Significance due to being the first protagonist audiences outside Japan were introduced to in an official FE game and could represent the introduction of the series to western audiences (meaning the first FE game westerners got to play, not meaning the introduction from Marth and Roy in Smash Bros.), could follow Little Mac and be promoted from an Assist Trophy to a playable character, could be unique among other swordsman due to her quick-draw fighting style, could represent the Myrmidon/Swordmaster classes.

Ephraim: Unique due to wielding a lance and not a sword and would most definitely have a unique style because of it, could represent the lance-wielding characters and classes of the series.

Micaiah: Unique due to being a pure magic user, could represent the magic-wielding characters and classes of the series.

Honestly, Micaiah is not high on my priority list. I would not at all be very disappointed or upset if she was never made playable, or if another character was chosen over her (like Leif for instance, or another future FE protagonist, or Lyn and/or Ephraim!). I only list her because I think it'd be cool to have a pure magic-using FE protagonist, and she'd be the best choice in my opinion. However, I also think Robin does a good job of representing magic despite not being a pure mage due to his sword. So...I really wouldn't be upset if she never made it in. She's really just a big "it'd be kinda cool" character on my list.

And I of course want all six veterans to return, for various reasons.

IIRC Leif was also considered to be the 2nd Fire Emblem character in Melee, but Roy was chosen instead because of his fire theme, and to promote Binding Blade in Japan, so Leif was actually closer to being in Smash than people realize.

I'll never understand why would anyone want characters cut. Like, I don't see a single valid reason.

I mean, I can see that sometimes characters get cut due to technicalities or time constraints and said cut characters are low on the priority list.

But if every condition is met for a veteran to be in, why would anyone want said veteran cut? It makes zero sense.

Balance in the roster as was mentioned before and moveset disparity. Tekken 3 was excellent for it's time because it cut so many veterans with overlapping movesets or fused said movesets back into newcomers or existing cast members. There's no real need for Roy and Lucina in a game with Marth. If Marth wasn't so iconic to FE as a whole I'd just ditch him and Roy for Lucina + tipper. Given that their only sizeable difference is where the sweetspot is for their moves you could even have them be alt costumes for the same character in all honesty. Considering Lucina is effectively a gimped Marth right now and is way way weaker, Lucina would have been served better that way. Ike and Corrin are great ideas.

This might sound like a peculiar or unsound choice in and of itself but I wouldn't mind Henry in. All his crow imagery and usage of spells, murderous behavior, it'd make for a great on-screen personality. We already have Robin, I suppose, but he's way less funny. Lyn is a great choice. For Manaketes it'd be a toss up between Nowi and Tiki for me, but Corrin looks to be one too.

Balance in the roster as was mentioned before and moveset disparity. Tekken 3 was excellent for it's time because it cut so many veterans with overlapping movesets or fused said movesets back into newcomers or existing cast members. There's no real need for Roy and Lucina in a game with Marth. If Marth wasn't so iconic to FE as a whole I'd just ditch him and Roy for Lucina + tipper. Given that their only sizeable difference is where the sweetspot is for their moves you could even have them be alt costumes for the same character in all honesty. Considering Lucina is effectively a gimped Marth right now and is way way weaker, Lucina would have been served better that way. Ike and Corrin are great ideas.

This might sound like a peculiar or unsound choice in and of itself but I wouldn't mind Henry in. All his crow imagery and usage of spells, murderous behavior, it'd make for a great on-screen personality. We already have Robin, I suppose, but he's way less funny. Lyn is a great choice. For Manaketes it'd be a toss up between Nowi and Tiki for me, but Corrin looks to be one too.

I don't know why but upon reading this my mind instantly went to the No More Heroes Henry rather than the much more on topic Fire Emblem Henry.

IIRC Leif was also considered to be the 2nd Fire Emblem character in Melee, but Roy was chosen instead because of his fire theme, and to promote Binding Blade in Japan, so Leif was actually closer to being in Smash than people realize.

Are we sure about that? I know Sakurai talked about Fire Emblem being put in Smash Bros. in the 25th anniversary interview, but I don't remember him mentioning Leif. I know he said that Marth was originally supposed to be in the original Smash Bros. (along with Pit and King Dedede, I think?), and he talked about Roy a bit, but I don't remember anything about Leif. Unless this was something he said years ago?

Are we sure about that? I know Sakurai talked about Fire Emblem being put in Smash Bros. in the 25th anniversary interview, but I don't remember him mentioning Leif. I know he said that Marth was originally supposed to be in the original Smash Bros. (along with Pit and King Dedede, I think?), and he talked about Roy a bit, but I don't remember anything about Leif. Unless this was something he said years ago?

It was something he said years ago in a 2002 Famitsu interview. Also Wario, Wolf, and DeDeDe were considered for Melee as well, but were scrapped, at least until Brawl.

Looks like someone hasn't actually played Roy in Smash 4 and instantly assumes he's 100% like he was in Melee.

Also I see someone is a fan of the Soul Calibur 5 method of cutting tons of fan favorite characters, adding in new ones to replace them.

Hector/Eprahim and Black Knight

We need a non sword user and/or an antagonist in the roster and these are thw most well known of each type in the western from Fire Emblem. Their Final Smash could actually be a mastery skill from PoR/RD. For Eprahim it could be Sol, Hector would get Colossus (increase in attack for 15 seconds and it would end with a powerful blow in the end) and Black Knight's Eclipse (Great Aether on the ground).