Choosing between Barth or Bors HM

Hey people,

So at the moment I am on chapter 12 and managed to raise a decent team. However I am having difficulty choosing between Barth and Bors mainly due to how exp gains work in HM as well as their relative lack of usefulness in comparison to cavaliers. Currently Bors is at level 14 with the following stats-

Str-11

Skill and Speed-7

Luck-10

Def-15

Res-0

Barth on the other hand, is lvl 9 with the following stats-

Str-10

Skill-6

Speed-5

Luck-2

Def-14

Res-1

Considering Barth is only lvl 9 with his current stats perhaps to some people picking him would be a no brainer as he looks a bit promising. However based on other forums and guides I have read, training either him or Bors considering their stat growths let alone the number of axe enemy units in HM is more stress than one would otherwise like lol. Thanks in advance for any help offered, and Happy New Year!

Both of them are pretty bad, especially in HM. Barth's skill and speed are generally pretty bad, both in base and growths, so he's going to struggle to hit and tends to get doubled by pretty much everything. If you're intent on using one, go for Bors, but be warned that neither are going to do terribly well.

What about hit points? Assuming you have an average Bors he should be 6-7 points ahead of a base level Barth, in which case he would be superior in every relevant metric. A fully trained Barth might have higher raw strength and defense, and he may even be slightly more appealing than training up Bors from base back in chapter one, but considering you've already experienced the worst Bors has to offer I wouldn't be overly concerned with whatever theoretical late game advantages Barth might have, if any. Your Bors is considerably better right now, and depending on how many other Knight Crest users you've got I might advise just promoting him right away. The Knight promo gains will do wonders for his suvivability in the chapters to come.

Yeh I'm not gonna lie the number of times Bors has died prior to me getting to chapter 12 is pretty mad haha. Heck even Barth and Wendy got killed off 3 times on thechapter they appeared because I forgot about reinforcements that appear near them and overestimated Barth's defence lol. Considering I still have a spare angelic robe and speedwing may use them for Barth, but that will utimately depend on his stats when he gets to Bor's current level (if I even get the opportunity/decide to train him depending on how things look after this chapter). At the moment I have decided to give Alan the current Knight Crest I have in possession since his stats are more rounded and a fair bit better than my lvl 20 Lance. Was planning to give it to Bors by chapter 10 but his current stats progress along with the number of axe units encountered in recent chapters has convinced me otherwise lol. Truthly my only reason to train either is just to have a strong defense unit in cases where I need a human shield as I have had to deal with too many situations where I had to choose between units that need urgent healing. May likely post Barth's stats at lvl 14 to get more opinions before final decision is made should I decide to train him. Thanks for opinions shared so far.

• 2 weeks later...

What about hit points? Assuming you have an average Bors he should be 6-7 points ahead of a base level Barth, in which case he would be superior in every relevant metric. A fully trained Barth might have higher raw strength and defense, and he may even be slightly more appealing than training up Bors from base back in chapter one, but considering you've already experienced the worst Bors has to offer I wouldn't be overly concerned with whatever theoretical late game advantages Barth might have, if any. Your Bors is considerably better right now, and depending on how many other Knight Crest users you've got I might advise just promoting him right away. The Knight promo gains will do wonders for his suvivability in the chapters to come.

Yeh you are right and even on lvl 14 Bors is still superior being 3 points ahead after training Barth

Do you really need an armor knight? If you need someone durable Miledy and Perceval does that job fine and brings a lot more to the table, unless you really like them as characters or something and trying to challenge yourself by not using the best units.

So in the end decided to dump Barth due to him having next to no improvement stats wise after 5 lvls minus 3 points in strength and 2 points in defence (what a regretful waste of experience smh). Suffice to say Bors has turned out alright with the following stats as a lvl 2 General

Str-17

Skill-10

Speed-14 (inclusive of 1 speedwing)

Luck-11

Def-21

Res-3 (Will consider getting 2 or 3 talismans to improve this)

Move-7 (inclusive of 1 boots)

I forgot to add another major reason why I wanted a general was due to me going through the Sacae route (on hard mode I might add) which apparently is merciless if you don't have units with decent defence or speed, with me lacking a little in the former.

• 2 weeks later...

Sacae's difficulty is really overstated

Never really had trouble wiping house with Percival/Miledy/Rutger--Miledy with Delphi takes negligible damage if at all from nomads and tanks Wyverns just fine. The Generals' offense will never match Miledy's without extreme RNG, and they just simply won't ever be as versatile as her. She's very durable as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Sacae's difficulty is really overstated

Never really had trouble wiping house with Percival/Miledy/Rutger--Miledy with Delphi takes negligible damage if at all from nomads and tanks Wyverns just fine. The Generals' offense will never match Miledy's without extreme RNG, and they just simply won't ever be as versatile as her. She's very durable as is.

I hear you on that. I myself had to use Percival as well for two levels of the Sacae section. Ironically for me Zeiss turned out a bit better than Miledy so used him more. True on the versality and strength. Tbh I think I got a little lucky with my Bors, the only issues he really had were skill and resistance. Even his speed was reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They're just not very good, for a normal mode run go ahead and use them, I usually play normal so I can just mess around and use whoever and all that, so I've used them a couple times, I'm pretty sure I've never kept with Bors to endgame because he just didn't really do anything. Bors is too well rounded I guess you could say and he doesn't really excel at a whole lot and I usually don't get very lucky with his level ups either. Barth for me fills a sort of niche for a physical super tank to a really crazy degree so as long as there aren't magic users I can just place him in a chokepoint with a killer lance and slaughter armies without taking any damage whatsoever. Don't use either though in hard mode, it's not worth the struggle at all.