Vanilla Lunatic Chrom Solo Playlog/Guide

32 members have voted

1. 1. How valuable do you think Avatar is in Lunatic/Lunatic+?

• Absolutely necessary, can't clear either mode without them
    • Necessary for Lunatic+, not for vanilla
    • Almost necessary for Lunatic+, very helpful in vanilla
    • Very helpful in Lunatic+, average in vanilla
    • Average in Lunatic+, below average in vanilla
    • Below average in Lunatic+, a detriment in vanilla
    • A detriment in both difficulty modes, better off without using them

I've noticed that most high-difficulty clears revolve around either a Chrom/FAvatar duo through most or all of the game, or quadruple Galeforce inheritance using Chrom/Sumia and MAvatar/Cordelia. I've decided to investigate the Chrom/FAvatar route, but without Avatar. In other words, Chrom solo (hence the title). The rules:

• In battles where the preparation screen is available, only Chrom may be deployed. When other characters are forced to be deployed, such as Avatar in Ch.23, not having preparations yet or joining after preparations, they may be used as seen fit (I recommend minimizing their use so Chrom gets maximum EXP).
  • DLC is allowed, but I won't be using it. It makes the Archer/Sniper part of the class path easier, so I won't judge.
  • Grinding is allowed, and I will be using Risen skirmishes and Spotpass teams for this purpose.
  • All Renown is allowed (I'll be using 1020 starting).
  • Event tiles are allowed.
  • Deaths are allowed, because if they weren't Chapters 5 and 6 would be impossible.

I've routed this on Hard, using a class path of Lord 20->Cav 10+->Archer 10+->Sniper 15+->Bow Knight 15+->Great Lord 15+->Great Knight 15+->Paladin (Final class) and capped all stats but Mag at the end of it (For what it's worth, Mag was 10 at Endgame). A note for people willing to try this is that if you want a good turncount you will need to spend about half of your total budget on throwing weapons. Also, during the Archer/Sniper part of the class route, you will want to spend most of your time in skirmishes on maps where enemies can be bottlenecked, like the Longfort (Ch.3) and the Border Pass (Ch.5). Paralogue 3 (if you're willing to sack the villagers) and Chapter 8 are also good spots for these classes (but if you're using Par. 3 for this, only do it as a Sniper).

Edited by Sodium Hydroxide

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun keeping Emmeryn alive in Cht.6. People have tried true Chrom solos before on Lunatic, and that's always the point where they fall apart. Also have fun fighting Lunatic Risen with solo Chrom. And fighting Grima without being able to double. And getting boxed in as an Archer and having nobody to kill the dudes surrounding you.

Nobody cares about turncount when doing this, feel free to abuse as much as possible.

Robin/Chrom and Quad GF are designed for nogrind, by the way. Wireless and DLC allow you to get away with more or less anything, unless you actually lack the manpower to do it.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Well, thanks for that, Czar. The idea is to pump Chrom so full of levels that enemies tink him, and while it worked on my Hard routing I might need Vulneraries, Concoctions or even Elixirs to clear the skirmishes. Also, the idea of Archer skirmishes is to kite the Risen so that they only approach you from one end of a one-tile-wide chokepoint, like in the top-left corner of the Farfort if there are no fliers. That's how I cleared Chapter 8 in the routing (Promoted to Sniper mid-map), because of the desert limiting the melee's movement and the fact that the Steel Bows I'd picked up from drops were enough to one-round the Mages (Might have to rethink a lot of things, huh?). In addition to that, I am only doing exactly enough grinding to go from Archer to Sniper by the end of Chapter 8, and to Bow Knight before Chapter 9.

A properly positioned Chrom could probably aggro all the C6 enemies into fighting him if he doesn't care about murdering Gaius and has enough offense to one-round everything with Javelins. Achieving the latter will likely require getting an Anna Master Seal and making him a Great Lord, though. Also, he's definitely not going to have the stats to get tinked by stuff from ~C20, onward, if not sooner. Grima is going to be a terrible war of attrition where you very likely won't have the burst damage to kill him in between the turns where healer mooks don't spawn.

Mages are pretty squishy even on Lunatic, I doubt you'll have too many troubles with them later on.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to give Chrom enough exp to do that, because even with everything capped by Cht.21 enemies are capping stuff too, and you're looking at 50-70 Atk on everyone- he only has 40/40 defenses, and not enough Spd to reliably dodgetank at all without a support or any EP +Avo skills (Outdoor Fighter on its own won't cut it, and that doesn't work in Cht.20, 21 and 23 anyway).

Late Plegia 1 and early Valm, you will be able to achieve invincibility through stats, mainly because enemy Skl doesn't increase by much on Lunatic, but everyone's toting big early SIlvers with no Hit. Especially when overleveled and not facing Lunatic+'s Hawkeye, you'll be seeing nothing but 0 listed from Cht.7 (assuming Falchion on a mountain) to 11-ish. That doesn't last, though, because enemies will eventually get Hit+10/20 and hackforges, and even with a pairup you really can't dodgetank hitrates 40+ above normal without a breaker, or WTA and a very significant Spd stat.

On Hard, a true Chrom solo is definitely doable, but there are a few reasons why it doesn't prepare you for Lunatic. Lunatic enemy density is much, much higher- kiting will almost never work as a strategy (Cht.3 is one of the places it does, so take advantage of it there). Enemies lategame can't be snowballed away from- Cht.8-11 is generally considered to be a lull in the difficulty where you can train and prepare your team without needing to stuff anyone to stay alive, and Cht.17-25 (especially after 20) is a test to see how well you did with that chance. Finally and most importantly, Grima is insanely tough and could curbstomp a solo Chrom, even without taking the mooks into consideration- you're looking at a 90 Atk Ignis (2HKO without Aegis) and about 10 damage per swing of Falchion (non-Luna), and you can't double him.

The main issue with Cht.6 is the Thieves, Chrom has to choose between staying in the center where he can kill them, or leaving the left side exposed, and Panne will quickly crumble there alone. If one of them makes it to the door and opens it, it's game over. A strat you could try if it was a TAS would be to RNG-manipulate Marth into dodging everything (she never takes 100 listed, iirc), but that's not going to be feasible here.

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, January 6, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, January 6, 2016 - No reason given

Mages are pretty squishy even on Lunatic, I doubt you'll have too many troubles with them later on.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to give Chrom enough exp to do that, because even with everything capped by Cht.21 enemies are capping stuff too, and you're looking at 50-70 Atk on everyone- he only has 40/40 defenses, and not enough Spd to reliably dodgetank at all without a support or any EP +Avo skills (Outdoor Fighter on its own won't cut it, and that doesn't work in Cht.20, 21 and 23 anyway).

Late Plegia 1 and early Valm, you will be able to achieve invincibility through stats, mainly because enemy Skl doesn't increase by much on Lunatic, but everyone's toting big early SIlvers with no Hit. Especially when overleveled and not facing Lunatic+'s Hawkeye, you'll be seeing nothing but 0 listed from Cht.7 (assuming Falchion on a mountain) to 11-ish. That doesn't last, though, because enemies will eventually get Hit+10/20 and hackforges, and even with a pairup you really can't dodgetank hitrates 40+ above normal without a breaker, or WTA and a very significant Spd stat.

On Hard, a true Chrom solo is definitely doable, but there are a few reasons why it doesn't prepare you for Lunatic. Lunatic enemy density is much, much higher- kiting will almost never work as a strategy (Cht.3 is one of the places it does, so take advantage of it there). Enemies lategame can't be snowballed away from- Cht.8-11 is generally considered to be a lull in the difficulty where you can train and prepare your team without needing to stuff anyone to stay alive, and Cht.17-25 (especially after 20) is a test to see how well you did with that chance. Finally and most importantly, Grima is insanely tough and could curbstomp a solo Chrom, even without taking the mooks into consideration- you're looking at a 90 Atk Ignis (2HKO without Aegis) and about 10 damage per swing of Falchion (non-Luna), and you can't double him.

The main issue with Cht.6 is the Thieves, Chrom has to choose between staying in the center where he can kill them, or leaving the left side exposed, and Panne will quickly crumble there alone. If one of them makes it to the door and opens it, it's game over. A strat you could try if it was a TAS would be to RNG-manipulate Marth into dodging everything (she never takes 100 listed, iirc), but that's not going to be feasible here.

This is suddenly looking much, much more fearsome. I'm just gonna hope that I can figure something out when I get there. Further advice would be appreciated, but not, I think, necessary. I was able to clear Endgame Hard with Skill +2 (With DLC that'd be All Stats +2)/Rightful King/Aether/Luna/Hit +20 (With DLC I'd put Aggressor), but if I'm 2HKO'd by Ignis I'll definitely need both Aegis (over Hit+20 maybe, since I think I need both damage procs?) and Elixirs. In addition, I could probably reclass back to Bow Knight for an increase in Skill and, thus, Aether/Luna/Aegis activation rates, but that makes Chrom less bulky without Aegis. Therefore, being a Bow Knight reduces reliability, and I believe everybody reading this topic wants reliable clears. I'll get back to it later.

C6 should be manageable if Chrom hangs out near the left corner with Javelins. The Thieves prefer to fight rather than open the door, so as long as something is in attack range (even if their buddies are all body blocking), the Thief will choose to fight Chrom. Chrom's position would cover the middle staircase, where all but one Thief come from. So I guess it'd come down to Marth surviving long enough to take down the lone Thief from the right. It may be possible to shift Chrom to intercept, but that might leave him too far out of position. He also needs to be able to one-round everything, otherwise any Cavs or Dark Mages he fights at the corner can end up in range of attack Emm from the left passage and if that happens, the jig is up.

The difference between Hard and Lunatic Grima is extremely severe. Your only real hope is to clear out 90% of the mooks before engaging Grima (the reinforcements spawn in pretty small increments compared to what's on the map at the start), then hoping you can get enough high-risk PP dodges and Aether/Luna procs to burst Grima down before the next wave that contains healer(s) spawn. Granted, you may have a little bit of leeway with some of the healers that spawn in the south, as, despite their high Mag, their Physics usually can't reach on their first turn in. Still, expect to reset a lot to get the map to cooperate.

Eclipse, you're not helping. Anyway, I'll have only 5 maps (Ch.3, Par.1, Ch.4, Ch.5, Ch.6, in the order I'll do them in) before Chapter 7, where I can sit on a Mountain with Falchion and get 0 listed hit from pretty much everything (The Archers should be able to hit him, but still at a low chance) so the Elixir loss shouldn't hurt too much. inb4 Ch. 6 throws that statement in my face by mass-attacking me with Cavs and DMs that get killed and thus allow more to attack. I'm considering getting out of Lord before level 20, though, since I plan to use the Renown Second Seal after Ch.4 to Bronze Lance Ch.5, but at level 9 after Ch.2 I might not reach level 20, which I did get to on my Hard routing. I am getting better levels than in the routing, by the way: I had similar stats at level 11 in that run. Also considering going Great Knight for Endgame for more Str/Def, but lower Res/Skl/Mov (If the game would just be clear with whether Grima hits Def or Res the decision would likely be much easier). Either way, the likely skillset is Skill +2/Aether/Luna/RFK/Aegis (basically massive procstack).

And while I'm typing this up, KTT, the master of playing without resets, basically tells me to reset. All is lost how about Chrom solo as your next resetless challenge, hm?
EDIT: Looked at enemy data and found that I'd be getting doubled by Grima if I go Great Knight. Most definitely not doing that then.

Now, can somebody please tell me if I'm supposed to see the Chapter 2 boss have 11 displayed Hit on Chrom when he was equipped with Falchion, plus a C Fred support paired up, while sitting on a Fort?

I told you enemies have Hit issues due to their "upgraded" weaponry. Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't do so forever.

Cht.5 is packed with Wyverns, having to do it with a Bronze Lance sounds extremely painful. It might be necessary if you want Javelins for Cht.6 though (have you considered trying to train Lances in Cht.4? You're probably too weak, but it's not that different from where you'll be for Cht.5).

Or, since you're rolling with wireless anyway, you could just Streetpass yourself an Arms Scroll. Consistency obviously isn't going to be a factor here if you keep going, so why not?

I'll tell you why I won't Streetpass myself an Arms Scroll: It's not possible since I only have 1 DS and 1 copy of the game. Plus, despite allowing event tiles and Anna shops, there are certain factors I would like to be repeatable and consistent, like my general strategies (for Endgame especially), and weapon levels are one of them. That said, I would allow a Renown Arms Scroll if there was one (since I'm allowing all Renown awards) but there's not. Currently debating marriage options - Female Avatar would be obvious, for a Naga's Tear and lots of Wyverns, except that I forgot and made a Male Avatar. Of the other potential child paralogues, the only one I have experience soloing is Inigo's, although I almost soloed Cynthia's once (Levin Sword Merc MAvatar when everybody else either flew or sucked. On Hard, by the way.) Sully's is also impossible due to me getting 0 support points with her because Fred is too good. Of the possible ones (Cynthia's, Inigo's, Brady's) the most likely is either Inigo's (because I pair Chrom with her for the whole map and there's no support point cap) or Brady's (if I manage to get her to live long enough to pair onto Chrom and then get enough support points with her for C support in Chapter 5). Because I pair with Kellam in Ch.3, there will be no Sumia marriage (Sorry to the people that like that).

Sully isn't impossible, as you just need one support point, which amounts to one battle fought together. If you're really determined, it's not tough to find a spot in C1 or C2 where Sully can soak a hit with Chrom behind her. You'll probably get more mileage out of the promoted enemies in Inigo's chapter, though, and Olivia's really easy to get the support points with.

And no, I'm not telling you to reset. I'm saying there's a very real possibility that the game will force you to reset by murdering Chrom, given that he faces some seriously bad odds.

Your Paladin Chrom has the following stats:

HP: 80+5

Str: 43+2

Mag: 30

Skl: 41+4

Spd: 41+2

Luk: 46+2

Def: 41+2

Res: 41+2

This gives him 88.5 Avoid, 91.5 Hit and 22% Crit. This gives him 63 Attack and 171 Hit with Exalted Falchion, 55 Attack and 161 Hit with the Spear and 52 Attack and 166 Hit with a Short Spear (assuming neutral weapon triangle). He has a 32.5% chance to proc Aether and a 55% chance to proc Luna, should that fail.

Enemies will have the following stats:

• General (Spear): 176 Hit, 62 Attack, 23 Spd
  • Berserker (Toma): 157 Hit, 74 Attack, 37 Spd
  • Paladin (Slvr Lan): 186 Hit, 61 Attack, 34 Spd
  • Sniper (Longbow): 194 Hit, 57 Attack, 34 Spd
  • Great Knight (Slvr Axe): 173 Hit, 64 Attack, 27 Spd, 29% chance of Luna
  • Assassin (Kil Bow): 205 Hit, 56 Attack, 44 Spd, 5% listed Crit (up to 15% with a Sorc nearby); Chrom can't double
  • Griffon Rider (Hammer): 181 Hit, 55 Attack, 36 Spd, a good argument to not go Great Knight; can also spawn with Lancebreaker
  • Hero (Slvr Axe): 195 Hit, 61 Attack, 38 Spd
  • Bow Knight (Slvr Bow): 187 Hit, 56 Attack, 35 Spd
  • War Monk (Slvr Axe): 166 Hit, 59 Attack, 35 Spd; heals Grima
  • Swordmaster (Slvr Swd): 208 Hit, 62 Attack, 46 Spd, 21% chance of Astra (random; Swordfaire is the guaranteed skill); Chrom can't double
  • Wyvern Lord (Slvr Axe): 173 Hit, 67 Attack, 30 Spd, guaranteed Swordbreaker
  • Trickster (Levin): 171 Hit, 51 Attack (vs Res), 40 Spd; Chrom can't double; heals Grima
  • Warrior (Slvr Bow): 188 Hit, 67 Attack, 29 Spd; guaranteed to spawn with Counter and may attack with its axe if Chrom's got a lance out
  • Dark Flier (Thoron): 181 Hit, 56 Attack (vs Res), 39 Spd (potentially 41); Chrom can't double
  • Sorcerer (Mire): 140 Hit, 55 Attack (x2), 26 Spd; 52% chance of Vengeance (guaranteed to have), can randomly have Anathema; can more or less be ignored for 10+ turns, as it'll keep attacking with unforge-able Mire, dealing a whopping 2 damage. Beware when the Mire breaks, though...
  • Valkyrie (Rexcal): 183 Hit, 54 Attack (vs Res), 41 Spd, spawns with guaranteed Demoiselle, which may actually cause Chrom Hit issues; Chrom can't double; heals Grima
  • Sage (Bolg): 180 Hit, 63 Attack (vs Res), 33 Spd; heals Grima
  • Falcon Knight (Beast Killer): 200 Hit, 57+34(!) Attack, 42 Spd (potentially 44); very effective against Chrom; heals Grima

Right off the bat, we can tell that Chrom basically isn't going to dodge anything other than the Waste and Mire tomes. The wimpiest enemies do about 10 and the heavier hitting ones will do closer to 24, with the Falco bringing a disgusting 48 damage. This means Chrom is going to have to depend on Aether to both survive and free up his PP action. Enemies with axes or near Valkyries are can also cause him Hit issues. Chrom can't double a good number of the faster enemies, either. Especially troubling is that he can't double the Falco, who is by far the most scary for him. This is further complicated by the fact that other Physic units will heal her, meaning Chrom is going to get into trouble if they start trading blows for a prolonged period of time (he can bring his own Beast Killer, but then he won't be able to counter at 2 range, missing out on potential Aether procs). Of other note is that Great Knights also have a meaningful chance of doing huge damage to Chrom. Assassins can also crit for 39.

And that's all just the mooks, which you're going to have to clear out as quickly as possible. I've listed my rough data for the reinforcements below. I think they loop after T12, but I can't remember for certain. Also, I've bolded the healers.

T2 - N (Pal, Wyv, Ass, Gen)

T3 - NW (Hero, Sage, Monk, SM), S (Monk, Ass, Hero, GK)

T4 - N (Gen, Wyv, DF, Ass), SE (Trick, GK, Zerk, GR)

T5 - S (Valk, Hero, Falco, Pal)

T6 - N (GK, Ass, DK, Snip)

T7 - NE (BK, Grif, Hero, Wyv), S (Wyv, Gen, Snip, Snip)

T8 - N (Valk, Snip, Grif, Valk), SW (Falco, DK, Wyv, Sorc)

T9 - S (Monk, Gen, Pal, Hero)

T10 - N (Gen, BK, Snip, DF)

T11 - NW (Snip, Trick, Valk, DK), S (Falco, Monk, Ass, Wyv)

T12 - N (Sage, Pal, Monk, GK), SE (DF, Valk, Gen, War)

Assuming you can time things perfectly, you've got a 2-3-turn window where Chrom can fight it out with Grima without worrying about healers reversing all his efforts.

Of note for Grima's stats is: 27 damage (80% chance of Ignis for 47), 45 Spd (so Chrom can't double without a Brave weapon), 53 effective Def (after Ire) and a whopping 110 Avoid (also after Ire). There's also an 80% chance of Pavise, which halves Chrom's damage yet again. The result is a pretty sketchy 61 listed Hit (69.97% True Hit), but 93 Attack with the Exalted Falchion. Assuming Chrom actually hits all attacks, he'll deal 10 damage with a non-proc hit, 16 with Luna and 26 with Aether. This gives Chrom the daunting task of landing 4 consecutive Aethers (or lucking out and hitting an Aether on the 20% chance of non-Pavise for a whopping 52 damage, but that's hardly reliable, with a 4.5% chance of the entire scenario actually occurring), so somewhere in there, Chrom is going to need to do a PP attack instead of Elixiring, in order to take Grima down before a healer arrives. This is a problem because if Chrom is taking 47 damage per hit, he's 2HKO and attacking on a PP is going to expose him to 3 hits without healing. Add to this that Grima's Hit is 177, meaning 89 listed Hit (97.69% True Hit), which Chrom is very unlikely to dodge. While there's a 20% chance of him only taking 27, this is also very unreliable. Getting Aether procs on mooks might be a thing, but Sol can be sketchy in this role, never mind a Skil/2% proc. In addition, Chrom will be especially vulnerable to 2-range mooks while trying to melee Grima to death, giving him even fewer Aether opportunities.

In short, winning is very statistically improbable, never mind without ever being forced to reset. You're probably going to have to take some very serious risks to make the most of your limited windows of attack. If you want anything resembling reliable, Chrom is probably going to need Limit Breaker.

Eclipse, you're not helping.

I'm VERY sorry for not validating your opinion, but sit down and think about what's coming up:

- Chapter 2 still falls under "everyone's deployed".

- Chapter 3 either requires recruiting Kellam or missing a Javelin (which won't be sold until Paralogue 2/Chapter 7). At least Chom gets nice bonuses for pairing with either Sumia or Kellam. You'll be taking multiple archer shots whether you like it or not, and Chrom will be at WTD against several things. If you allow Spotpass, you can get away with not recruiting Kellam, but he's kind of in your way, and he makes a decent pair-up for this chapter.

- Chapter 4 is a solo which will either require more turns than normal, because of mages and Hand Axes, or some serious Levin Sword use (don't remember if Renown is unlocked here or not; if not, you're stuck with KOing them one at a time).

- Chapter 5's required units are in an inconvenient spot, and unless you're confident that you can get up that mountain in two turns, one, if not both of them, are dead. You'll also need to be able to ORKO some magic-users with the Levin Sword, or you'll be delayed further.

So unless you're confident that you can literally dodge everything, even with WTD, you'll want that Elixir. Once Chapter 5 is over, you can buy them. However, I don't know how tight your money will be, especially since I'd imagine you'd want to make use of the forge, so the less you have to spend, the better. Not keeping that Elixir in your inventory was a tactical blunder, no matter how you cut it.

Edited by eclipse

Currently debating marriage options - Female Avatar would be obvious, for a Naga's Tear

Capping stats isn't really a problem you'll run into if you make it that far. Res is the only one that might be shaky (not counting Mag, obviously) but you should still get it there with the amount of exp present.

OK, Eclipse, thanks for the tips, but I think I should be able to work around no Elixir until I can buy them - I did just clear Ch.2, after all, despite it being at the cost of all the Vulneraries I brought in to there and Stahl's life. Not to say that it doesn't make it harder - it most certainly does - but I don't think it's quite as bad as you're implying.

If I had made and married a Female Avatar, I wouldn't just get a Naga's Tear: I would also see lots of Wyverns (aka Falchion bait), however there would also be a ton of Mages and Thieves going everywhere, so it's not quite pure gold. In addition, not all enemies are promoted, making Morgan's paralogue inferior to Inigo's and Cynthia's on EXP count.

I might end up extending this into a multi-run thing like KTT did with L+ resetless and see if I can, with plenty of assistance, optimize strats enough to go deathless.

Yes, and Cht.2 also allowed you all your units. You haven't even gotten to the Chrom part yet.

I still don't think exp will be an issue. You'll cap all your stats and get all your skills regardless.

One thing at a time- first, just focus on getting as far as you can.

I think we've had enough strategizing about the late chapters for now. Also, eclipse, you were right about how hard the Elixir loss would hit. I'm going to edit out my clears and restart, using similar strategies (but not the same because I want the Elixir).

[spoiler=Premonition/Prologue attempt 2]If you can't clear Premonition, go find out what gaming is on Google or something because you clearly don't know.
For Prologue, on turn 1 have Fred (with an equipped Chrom pairup) blick the left Myrm. They'll weaken some Barbs on Enemy Phase, or kill them outright if there's a Dual Strike. Lissa moves 1 tile down and 1 right, and Avatar pairs to her.

Turn 2, move Fred out of the Mage's range and swap to Chrom, who should equip Falchion. Lissa/Avatar stays out of enemy range.

From here, just ensure that Chrom gets as many melee kills as possible, and Avatar/Lissa stay out of the Mage's range. Chrom can take one non-critical hit from him, and he will ignore Lissa because of higher Res, but you need Fred to kill him.

Between waves 1 and 2, fully heal both Chrom and Frederick, ensuring that Chrom picks up the event tile (I got WEXP) unpaired.

To start wave 2, put Chrom (with Fred pairup) into the attack range of only that wave's left Myrm. Have him retreat, using Vulneraries and hitting on enemy phase, until there's on opening to Fredstomp the Mage. Take it, then feed Chrom all the surviving melee.

Fully heal both combat units again, and make sure that Chrom is unpaired when he takes the 2nd event tile (18 EXP). After that, unequip Fred, pair him onto Chrom again and use Avatar's Bronze Sword to kill the boss. You shouldn't need any healing while doing this.

STATS AFTER PROLOGUE:

Lord level 3, 11 EXP

21 HP, 8 Str, 2 Mag, 8 Skl, 8 Spd, 6 Lck, 8 Def, 2 Res

D Swords +1 attack

ITEMS AFTER PROLOGUE:

48 Bronze Sword uses, 35 Rapier uses, 45 Thunder uses, 20 Silver Lance uses, 27 Heal staff uses, 5 total Vulnerary uses.

[spoiler=Chapter 1, attempt 2]Have Fred pair onto Chrom. Chrom should wait on the Fort event tile (30 EXP), or attack the Fighter left of there if he doesn't 2HKO it. You need at least 1 point of Str over base for the 2HKO with a Fred pairup, but if he gets HP+5 you're not 2-hitting him unless you switch to Fred. Equip Falchion and the Silver Lance either way. Lissa fullmoves down, Avatar placing themselves 1 tile above her.
Turn 2 Player Phase, have Chrom finish the Fighter he engaged on Turn 1, then hope that Hammertime's ~35 displayed hit doesn't connect on enemy phase because if it does he's dead from the other Fighter, the Mercs and maybe the Archer. Have Sully pair onto Lissa, while Virion TRADES AVATAR THE ELIXIR before pairing onto them. Have Lissa move 1 tile left and all the way up, dropping Sully left. Avatar should do the same for Virion.

Turn 3, have Chrom Vulnerary. the northern group should bait the Archer up towards them, by having Virion support Sully on the edge of his attack range (preferably a Woods tile). If a Fighter went north after them, kill him first.

Turn 4, Vulnerary again. Northern group kites the Archer west if possible, otherwise put both pairs just outside attack range. Heals up if on the 'Fighter-went-north' variation.

Turn 5, only the Boss and Archer are still alive, Boss is sticking to Chrom, Archer rushing the north group. Start kiting the Archer around the edge of the map. Chrom should wait on the Fort again if he's not at full HP, otherwise attack the Boss with the Bronze Sword and an unequipped Fred. On the 'Fighter-went'north' variation, both will be on Chrom, Boss attacking from northwest and the Archer from due south. Move the scrubs around to bait and kite the Archer.

After this, it's a matter of just kiting the Archer, making sure that the Elixir stays in Avatar's inventory so you don't lose it, and milking the remaining foes for as much EXP as possible. I picked up the 2nd event tile (Fred support) before starting my final attacks. While kiting the Archer, I accidentally got the Boss after the scrubs as well, and had to sacrifice Lissa. Virion, Sully, and Avatar all survive.

STATS AFTER CHAPTER 1:
Lord level 6, 47 EXP

22 HP, 11 Str, 3 Mag, 11 Skl, 11 Spd, 8 Lck, 10 Def, 3 Res

D Swords, about 5 attacks from C

ITEMS AFTER CHAPTER 1:

94 total Bronze Sword uses, 35 Rapier uses, 3 Vulnerary uses, 45 Thunder uses, 3 Elixir uses (yay!) 38 Iron Bow uses, 48 Bronze Lance uses, 19 Silver Lance uses

Got Chapter 2 done again for everybody reading this (which might not be many after I had to restart).

[spoiler=Chapter 2, attempt 2]If you're following the strategies laid out in this playlog, you should have a Chrom/Fred C support available. Take it, since you might need the extra point in each of Str and Def.

When the actual Chapter starts, make sure that Chrom has the Elixir by the end of Turn 1 Player Phase. If not, have Avatar (who should've been carrying it) trade it to Chrom, then pair onto Stahl. Pair Chrom onto Fred, and assign the others partners as you see fit. I had Vaike pair up with Virion, and Sully go alone for now, outside of previously stated pairs.

Have Fred take the Bronze Sword Chrom was carrying and attack the Mountain Barb with it (does 12 or 12*2 damage, depending on if Chrom has 10+ Speed or not, Barb has 31 displayed hit for 10 damage, 46% Dual Strike). The others should prepare to move to the bottom-left corner and up the left side of the Mountain. I did this by leaving Vaike where he was, Virion behind him, while Stahl sits 1 left and 2 down from his starting tile, Avatar hiding behind. Sully runs 5 left and 2 down. On Enemy Phase, Fred will hit some things on the left side, with possible kills, and other enemies move around. You want them to be in a position where you can kite the ones not going after Chrom and Fred.

Turn 2, have Stahl fullmove left and drop Avatar further left. Have Miriel pair onto him. Vaike takes his axe and sits just inside enemy range. Sully moves to the northernmost 'safe' tile she can reach. Only after all of this does Fred run towards the left Fort and switch to Chrom. Enemy Phase, Vaike and Virion both die (It's good, Chrom has the Elixir!) and Chrom engages some enemies. More go after the south group.

Turn 3, have Chrom move to the nearest Woods and Vulnerary. Avatar pairs onto Sully, who moves north and slightly east. Stahl moves where Sully was and drops Miriel north. Both of those two will die on Enemy Phase, and Chrom will kill some things by the Fort.

On Turn 4, Sully and Avatar should fullmove to the right. Move Chrom outside of enemy range and Vulnerary again. Enemies go after Chrom.

Turn 5, move Chrom onto the nearest Fort. Sully should move right if by doing so she can escape enemy range, otherwise left. Enemies go after Chrom, who engages two of them with another two lagging behind.

On turn 6, fullmove Sully down. Chrom should polish off the enemy he has the worst weapon triangle relationship with, under the constraint that he can't leave the Fort he's on. Have him repeat the treatment until the whole lower wave is dead. Sully and Avatar (and any other surviving scrubs) should move towards the lower left corner, where they can be unnecessary for the rest of the map (the rest of their lives, for all I care, I'm not deploying them for the rest of this run).

After the lower wave is dead, fully heal both combat units on the Forts, and have Chrom pick up the event tile unpaired (WEXP). Also trade all items Chrom isn't immediately using, like event tile items and the healing items (You can trade and heal on the same turn) to Fred, so you don't have to discard one of the Iron weapons. Start the 2nd wave by having Fred sit just outside of enemy range, then run all the way to the upper-left Fort, equip the Silver Lance, switch to Chrom and have him wait, Falchion equipped. The mook Barbs get 18 displayed hit on the Fort without Gamble. Mercs get 61, Soldiers 66, Boss gets a paltry 13. It should be easy to Fort tank the mooks, then finish off the Boss in your own sweet time. I didn't trade Fred the unused items, and had to discard the Iron Lance due to a full inventory. I didn't pick up the 2nd event tile to avoid further loss.

STATS AFTER CHAPTER 2:

Lord level 10, 20 EXP

26 HP, 13 Str, 4 Mag, 14 Skl, 13 Spd, 11 Lck, 12 Def, 3 Res

B Swords + 1 attack

ITEMS AFTER CHAPTER 2:

35 Rapier uses, 40 Iron Sword uses, 35 Bronze Sword uses, 48 Bronze Lance uses, 45 Thunder uses, 3 Elixir uses, 1 Vulnerary use.

Optimization for your second wave strat: trade anything you're not immediately using with Chrom to Fred. This goes for healing items too, as Chrom can trade and use in the same turn. This should allow you to keep the Iron Lance instead of throwing it away, meaning either extra weapon uses for Chrom when he gets to a class that can use lances or a bit of extra cash from pawning it off.

Thank you for that, KTT. If I have to restart again, I'll remember to do that - I'll also edit that into my Chapter 2 entry so that if this attempt succeeds and I edit all my clears into the OP that'll be there.

I did notice a small amount of money in my eshop this morning ($1.05 AU - yes, I'm Australian), so I Fredstomped Normal/Casual up to the Outrealm Gate to see if I could afford Rogues and Redeemers 3 (That's Limit Breaker, right?). I'm $1.60 short of the very cheapest map, unfortunately. Rest in peace, Endgame reliability.

RaR3, despite not having Grima to deal with, has enemies significantly stronger than Endgame- everyone's capping all but one or two stats, everyone has a full skillset (lots of procs, and everyone has at least one Breaker), and good weapons. It's not really the kind of thing you'd do to make things easier (though if you did do it, it would help a lot).

Even if you did get LB though, it'll mostly just let you double Grima- he'll still be tough as nails and you'll have to count on Aether procs and failed Pavises to do any real damage.

By the way, when you write up player movement directions, are you taking random enemy movement into account? Because that's a very real thing to deal with when making repeatable strats.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Yeah, Limit Breaker is R&R3. What other maps do you have? If you've got Yore 3, you could take All Stats +2 for a marginal improvement in reliability. If you've got Bloodlines 2, you could try working Dread Fighter into your class routing for Aggressor, then running a Brave Bow Sniper with it.

If you stack Bowfaire and Aggressor, that gives you 66 Attack on EP and 76 Attack on PP, but with two attacks that are only halved instead of quartered. The end result is 6 damage for a non-proc hit, 19 on a Luna hit and 25 with Aether on EP, then 11/24/35 on PP. This gives you a lot more flexibility on making the damage benchmarks, at the cost of enemies being able to get a lot of easy cheap shots in (on the other hand, retaliating against 2-range with with a brave weapon has a better chance of Aether heals). There's also the advantage of a +5Mt/+15Hit Brave Bow giving 10 more Hit overall than the Exalted Falchion (assuming Bows A), not to mention 6 more Skill (Sniper has 8 more Skill than Paladin, but this skill setup gives up Skill+2), resulting in 80 displayed Hit (92.20%). There's also the increased proc chance to consider.

Even without Aggressor, though, if Chrom can score 6 Lunas, Grima will die.

The only problem with going bow strats is that a Sniper can't deal with melee at all, so some really funky messing with mechanics will probably be required. I'm thinking going in as a level 10 Paladin (or as close to as possible... with all the mook killing, he can probably get away with being level 8), clearing out the mooks as best he can, then Second Sealing 2 tiles away from Grima. This means no Elixir for Chrom on that turn, though, which might be an issue. If he can survive that, though, he can use an Elixir on the next turn and, should he survive that EP, he can then try to finish Grima off on the next PP.

EDIT: Oops, had the Attack too low by 1. I'd originally done the calculations with Bow Knight, until I realized Sniper had better damage and hit chance prospects. Fixed now.

Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Depending on when you do go archer, you actually might be able to go bow knight in the same chapter (thus being able to deal with 1 range). I do think that Sniper is pretty implausible--perhaps you can go sniper second seal when you are in the appropriate tile against grima (but that also has problems like never getting bowfaire).