Persona Q - Best Party Members

Radiant head

Okay so I bought this game a while back but didn't have time to play it until now. I'm in the P4 route, and just wondering if anyone else with experience knows what the best party members are, and what the general metagame logic is? I heard Naoto is game-breaking, and the P4MC is a jack of all trades/master of none, but besides that, I have no clue what to look for in a party

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think Zen (and Rei) are pretty useful in a strategic way. I always use them.

I'll list who I have in my team at the moment (I change it quite often, oops) if that helps at all:

P3/P4 protag, Mitsuru, Yukari, then Zen and Rei.

Besides Naoto (who is amazing af), you should probably consider using both protags at any given point in time; they're both really good and the P3 protag can be either used as a frontliner or a backliner bc he's actually pretty good at being a magedude. Also, Mitsuru with the Mag-Str swap ring is pretty solid as a frontliner.

edit: The reason Naoto is so good in this is because Hama/Mudo skills are actually really good in this game. With hama/mudo and impure reach, the rate of success is ridiculously high and you can also benefit from impure reach by giving her a bunch of circles like poison circle or toxic slice. Poison damage can be really helpful, especially against FOEs that might be tedious to kill otherwise.

Edited by Ciarre

Physical is king in PQ. Magic costs a ton of SP (Dynes cost 48 and Ma-Dynes cost 64) and SP pools aren't the greatest not counting sub-personas. Characters (besides Zen/Rei) have anywhere from just-under 100 (Junpei, Kanji, and Chie) to the 160s (Yukiko and Yukari).

[spoiler=Tier List]qFmBn74.jpg

It doesn't really matter that much to be honest in regards to team setup except for the later FOEs and secret bosses though. I personally did have a pretty much entire physical team though in the P3 route with Junpei, Shinji, Koro, Ken, and P3MC. Shinkuuha was everyone's best friend until endgame (maybe, I might be remembering wrong and they still have it).

Also I prefer Fuuka as a Navi because she is a great healer and generally the only one you need.

Edited by Konnor97

Like everyone said before physical is better than magic in this game, that being said, I would recommend having at least one mage in the party, either Yukiko or Yukari.

Rei and Zen may seem useful at first, but one could say they are the "Jeigan" of this game.

Also, it's best that you level up both of your leaders, for a certain...optional battle.

As for your battle navi, it really depends on your fighting style but both Rise and Fuuka are useful.

Edited by Water Mage

Physical is king in PQ. Magic costs a ton of SP (Dynes cost 48 and Ma-Dynes cost 64) and SP pools aren't the greatest not counting sub-personas. Characters (besides Zen/Rei) have anywhere from just-under 100 (Junpei, Kanji, and Chie) to the 160s (Yukiko and Yukari).

[spoiler=Tier List]qFmBn74.jpg

It doesn't really matter that much to be honest in regards to team setup except for the later FOEs and secret bosses though. I personally did have a pretty much entire physical team though in the P3 route with Junpei, Shinji, Koro, Ken, and P3MC. Shinkuuha was everyone's best friend until endgame (maybe, I might be remembering wrong and they still have it).

Also I prefer Fuuka as a Navi because she is a great healer and generally the only one you need.

I have many issues with that tier list

I have many issues with that tier list

I didn't make it. I have a few issues with the list as well. I can't even vouch for it that well considering I've only used 1/4 of the characters.

Edited by Konnor97

Okay yeah it's pretty ridiculous that physical attacks can have magic elements embedded in it without costing you sp, so physical seems like the way to go.

I finished You in Wonderland with MC, Chie, Yosuke, Kanji, and Naoto. I let Yosuke do the healing, because even though that's the niche of Yukiko, it helps a lot to be able to heal in early in a turn. Now I have to assemble the team from both games.

Thanks everyone.

1. The combat is sort of similar to devil survivor - closer to that than main Persona. The main difference is the primary/secondary demon system. The dungeon crawling is just straight up etrian odyssey.

2. You'll get more out of the fan service in this game if you've played 3 and 4. Chronologically this game takes place during the time of both games (explained in the game).

You don't need to play P3 or P4 if you don't want to. PQ only talks about background info from the other games, not the main plot.

I played PQ last year and i beat it 100%(defeated Theodore, Margaret, and Elizabeth) on the hardest difficulty.

As for party members, let me tell you that magic is not as good as it was in the main persona games. I recommend physical attacks and crits instead as they can bring the enemy down.

Best:

Akihiko and Chie are crazy with multiple critical attacks. Their ultimates boost their crit rates and crit dmg. They are also super fast so they will most likely go first.

P3MC and P4MC's special buffs are amazing. (If you're playing for the first time, please use both characters and have them both reach level 50 at least. You'll thank me later)

Naoto has Hama/Mudo which means mobs are cake. Also a very good at inflicting status ailments.

Good:

Kanji has alot of HP, reaches Attack cap the fastest and his special skills increases attack even more! Learns Matarukaja(can be stacked with his ultimate)

Aigis is super cool tank with highest defense + Orgia Mode. Literally super strong.

Shinji's ultimate provides AoE which is perfect. 98 cap strength and 2nd highest Def too. Give him skills where his damage is boosted when he performs last.

Ken has highest luck(better than Naoto) in the game which means he can be a 2nd Naoto with the right subpersona. Learns samararecarm. Perfect Support/healer (just watch his hp)

I guess~:

Junpei has low stats but has AMAZING skills. idk it's up to you.

Koromaru Highest Agility which is perfect for his ultimate skill. Add-on attacks are always nice, but his str isn't much (He does learn masukukaja though~)

Mitsuru's ultimate is a physical skill which means you need an accessory to actually use it. (It removes binds from the enemies tho so why even bother) She's also magical which means she sucks

Yosuke has terrible luck so watch him die alot due to status effect. He'll most likely go first so use that to your advantage.

Zen/Rei has no subpersona, so if you don't like more slots to train then... kudos. Can only heal or buff characters from the same row. Their attacks don't gain their -dyne skills until like lvl 60~

You must really like this character:

Don't use Yukari or Yukiko unless they're your waifu or whatever. So much SP consumption(You'll notice that they won't last long when dungeoning and you'll have to backtrack alot), I'd rather use SP on things other than casting agi or garu. (If you do plan on using them, you gotta waste a reverse accessory to make them decent compared with other characters.) Magic is Yukari's only good stat, and magic is dumb.

If you even want to just use them as a healer, they're too slow to even use it which means by the time it's her turn, everyone is probably dead (Yukiko doesn't even learn media)

Don't even think about Teddie his skills are useless and his stats are stupid.

Despite my dumb tier list, use whoever you want. With the right tools you can make anyone viable.

Edited by ChocolaChao

I was using Yosuke as a healer because I like being able to spam media quickly. Should I switch him out for Junpei?

My P4 route right now is P4MC, P3MC, and Yosuke/Junpei in the front, and Naoto + Aigis in the back.

After the snorefest that was P4G, I'm enjoying the difficulty of this game. Sort of reminiscent of Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor. The main struggle for me is money. After healing and buying items, the Compendium just may as well not exist with my remaining funds. Also I seem to have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to fusing the secondary Personas. Does anyone have some basic tips for that?

Edited by Radiant head

I haven't played the game in like forever, but I remember Naoto being broken and Aigis tanking shit for days. Yu is very balanced but doesn't pack that much of a punch, while Minato is more of a glass cannon and should therefore be kept in the back; both are incredibly useful, however, as they learn Heat Riser and Debilitate, respectively.

Zen and Rei are incredibly useful due to their (relatively early obtained, I believe?) skill that lets them regenerate energy when walking around in the labyrinth, making sure you've always got spells of many types available.

Are you at labyrinth three yet? God I hated that place.

I was using Yosuke as a healer because I like being able to spam media quickly. Should I switch him out for Junpei?

My P4 route right now is P4MC, P3MC, and Yosuke/Junpei in the front, and Naoto + Aigis in the back.

After the snorefest that was P4G, I'm enjoying the difficulty of this game. Sort of reminiscent of Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor. The main struggle for me is money. After healing and buying items, the Compendium just may as well not exist with my remaining funds. Also I seem to have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to fusing the secondary Personas. Does anyone have some basic tips for that?

Yosuke's pretty cool as he has like the second highest agility stat in the game, so if you need everyone to be healed quickly, he's your man.

There are a few skills that you can get from subpersonas that can regenerate SP as you traverse through the dungeon, although I'm not sure which persona has it (or what the skills name are lol)

Edited by ChocolaChao

Thanks.

One more question - how do I decide between Rise and Fuuka for crawling and combat? I mean I know whose voice id rather listen to, but just wondering if there are more tangible factors at play.

Depends on your playstyle and party, to be honest.

If you prefer constant healing, the Fuuka is better, but if you want to control turns and who attacks when you need to, the Rise is your choice.

Both are pretty good however.

Edited by Water Mage

Thanks.

One more question - how do I decide between Rise and Fuuka for crawling and combat? I mean I know whose voice id rather listen to, but just wondering if there are more tangible factors at play.

It's pretty much preference. Fuuka is full of healing skills, at once and over-time, while Rise has more offensive-support that lasts a single turn, with allowing your guys to go before enemies, lower skill cost, or not take damage. Neither have skills in regards to dungeon crawling, so that's entirely preference.

Edited by Konnor97

Thanks.

Personally, I'd rather have a healer. I use alot of physical attacks which consumes plenty of HP, so Fuuka is pretty handy.

Fuuka as a combat navigator and Rise as a labyrinth navigator for me~

Edited by ChocolaChao