Conquest's Normal difficulty

Hi people.

My super casual friends would like to buy Conquest instead of Birthright (although I've been trying to lure them into the special edition to save money, but that's another thing).

They only play Awakening on Normal/Casual and don't put much thought into what they do.

Therefore, I'm kind of afraid they will not enjoy Nohr and can it as a worse game, a shit game, you name it. I don't want them to think that because it looks like such a fun game, even if it might be harder.

So, question: how hard is Conquest on Normal? Comparing it to other difficulties from the series will help me understand too, if you want, but I'd still like to know more details and such.

Other question: will they be able to be brought into the harder game like Awakening brought them into itself? Or will it hurt?

I am ready to help them, of course.

Before you might ask: one of them would like to have all versions, therefore she might get Birthright instead, but the other really doesn't like Hoshido and is head over heels for Leon, Lazward, Niles, Odin, and loves cavaliers/paladins, so she is set on Conquest.

So it's pretty much set they will get the harder game no matter what.

Playing on Normal/Casual is pretty much a cakewalk. The levels are designed in a way that makes the chapters not only harder but more fun too, in my opinion, with a range of different ways you can tackle them. If they play on Casual I doubt they'd mind a few units dying over the course of the game because some situations and even whole chapters can be tricky for people who may be under levelled/not very good with strategy/ used to Awakening, but overall granted they again would be playing on Casual so it's very achievable and can be really fun.

From what I've heard from what other people have said, people have said that Conquest on Normal is similar to Awakening on Hard or even Lunatic.

Considering that there are three difficulties at the start which are Easy, Normal and Hard, playing Conquest on Easy might give your friend an easier time than if they were to play on Normal.

Edited by carefreejules

Hi people.

My super casual friends would like to buy Conquest instead of Birthright (although I've been trying to lure them into the special edition to save money, but that's another thing).

They only play Awakening on Normal/Casual and don't put much thought into what they do.

Therefore, I'm kind of afraid they will not enjoy Nohr and can it as a worse game, a shit game, you name it. I don't want them to think that because it looks like such a fun game, even if it might be harder.

So, question: how hard is Conquest on Normal? Comparing it to other difficulties from the series will help me understand too, if you want, but I'd still like to know more details and such.

Other question: will they be able to be brought into the harder game like Awakening brought them into itself? Or will it hurt?

I am ready to help them, of course.

Before you might ask: one of them would like to have all versions, therefore she might get Birthright instead, but the other really doesn't like Hoshido and is head over heels for Leon, Lazward, Niles, Odin, and loves cavaliers/paladins, so she is set on Conquest.

So it's pretty much set they will get the harder game no matter what.

I don't know much about statistics, but Conquest is supposed to be more like older Fire Emblem games (meaning no outside grinding & such), so it might be harder. But statistic wise, I don't know. But Birthright or Revelations would be for more casual gamers.

Normal/classic is more of my thing than hard/classic. That map with Takumi sending unit after unit after unit got annoying real fast, and was too much for the level of my party members at the time. Normal/Classic makes more sense to me.

Also why cavaliers if I may ask? They feel underdevloped in this game for some reason. Magic users seem to be the go to class for Nohr imo.

Edited by GrayClouds23

From what I've heard from what other people have said, people have said that Conquest on Normal is similar to Awakening on Hard or even Lunatic.

Considering that there are three difficulties at the start which are Easy, Normal and Hard, playing Conquest on Easy might give your friend an easier time than if they were to play on Normal.

There is no easy mode, unless you're counting Phoenix mode. The difficlties are Normal, Hard and Lunatic, with Normal being the lowest.

Normal is pretty comparable to Awakening hard, I guess, in that it's very manageable and accessible, but it's nowhere near Awakening Lunatic.

I had reservations initially about playing Conquest because I'm not the best at strategy games even though I've been a long-time FE game, but even I managed to beat it on Hard/Classic.

Phoenix Mode is a thing. I believe you can change difficultly and mode while playing, so they can try on higher modes/difficulties first and change it if it's too hard.

Yes, and of course this as well.

Changing difficulties as well as modes might serve your friends well if they want to test the waters a little and maybe go down to Casual or Phoenix.

I really doubt that normal/casual will be like hard/classes at Awakening, honestly. The only one issue you had with awakening was that you needed to grind, they repaired a little lvls of enemies at certain chapters however remember you can't use every character in Nohr, this is suicide. Using very few pick from the start as a leading units, when you know you'll USE them can give you nice boost to those characters until others will join. If your friend will stick to few characters he want to use early and later on so she should be fine. Remember as well every royal from nohr except Elise are promoted which helps supporting weaker characters~

Honestly, i think most of the people there didn't played the game yet, so it's hard to tell if it's true. If this one friend want to buy one path anyway, she can wait few days after relese to see if this is true, right?

Im not sure, but some say its the same as early game hard mode in Awakening. Either way, it looks like its gonna be a good time.

yeah, this can be at least early cause for late you needed to grind~

Tell them to play at Normal/Phoenix difficulty so that they don't have to worry as much about dying so easily.

If they start with Classic, they can lower it to Casual or Phoenix midway through the playthrough, but they cannot raise it back up again (ex. went from Classic to Casual mode; cannot go back to Classic mode; can go from Casual to Phoenix mode, but cannot go back to Casual or Classic mode). Just something to keep in mind.

Tell them to play at Normal/Phoenix difficulty so that they don't have to worry as much about dying so easily.

If they start with Classic, they can lower it to Casual or Phoenix midway through the playthrough, but they cannot raise it back up again (ex. went from Classic to Casual mode; cannot go back to Classic mode; can go from Casual to Phoenix mode, but cannot go back to Casual or Classic mode). Just something to keep in mind.

Well, this have it's uses, Phoenix mode is extremely usefull for grinding (in nohr you have to have dlc obviously), good thing to prepare for pvp or just maxing characters, however i wouldn't recommend this story-wise.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Phoenix mode to anyone initially, which is why in-game difficulty lowering is very useful. I would say only recommend it if they're having too much trouble on Casual and literally cannot complete full chapters because all their units are dying, which unless they are TERRIBLE at fire emblem (and I mean seriously terrible), won't happen.

Normal Conquest just takes a little more prep and thinking than Normal Awakening, that's all. It's more comparable to older games like FE7; not too challenging and quite forgiving, but easy to make mistakes that might cost you a unit (of course this can be rectified with Casual mode). There will be easy bits and hard bits.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Phoenix mode to anyone initially, which is why in-game difficulty lowering is very useful. I would say only recommend it if they're having too much trouble on Casual and literally cannot complete full chapters because all their units are dying, which unless they are TERRIBLE at fire emblem (and I mean seriously terrible), won't happen.

Normal Conquest just takes a little more prep and thinking than Normal Awakening, that's all. It's more comparable to older games like FE7; not too challenging and quite forgiving, but easy to make mistakes that might cost you a unit (of course this can be rectified with Casual mode). There will be easy bits and hard bits.

Yeah, i'm bad imo at FE games (Cordelia and Mirabelle chapters guh), but i'll do hard mode for every path even if i'll repeat those few times. I like challenges in FE, honestly :D

From what I've heard, a lot of the annoying skills are removed on normal (counter archers, snake venom ninjas).

As for the second part: how much do they like grinding and *sigh* 2nd gen?

I found Conquest on Normal to be really easy but challenging for the first time. I reset in Chapter 16 and decided to try it out on Hard and that fit more of my style. You do have the option of switching the difficulty whenever you want(IS was really afraid they balanced Nohr like shit but it was done well imo)

I was also using a +STR/-DEF Kamui cause I didn't read the Kanji correctly if that means anything lmao. Oh and Secondary class Wyvern rider but never used it

Edited by MitoRequiem

as someone who has played through conquest on normal here are my thoughts

it's easier and harder at the same time with a late game difficulty spike

it's easier than awakning because

you know when a dual strike and guard will occur

weapons don't break

no more ambush spawns on hard and lunatic (thank Naga!)

it's harder because (I'm not complaining about these)(I acctually like them)

there are turn restrictions on some maps

there is this one chapter you have to break pots which modify your stats

better weapons have higher penalties for using them

one last thing.

Most of the difficulty for me came from not knowing any japanese. so I made it artiffically harder on myself due to a language barrier

so I imagine that it will be easier in my native language

weapons don't break

it's harder because (I'm not complaining about these)(I acctually like them)

there are turn restrictions on some maps

there is this one chapter you have to break pots which modify your stats

better weapons have higher penalties for using them

one last thing.

Most of the difficulty for me came from not knowing any japanese. so I made it artiffically harder on myself due to a language barrier

so I imagine that it will be easier in my native language

But this chapter with pots is amazing, also it's one of those chapters you can choose how to end it lol

Thank you everyone for the help.

I forgot Phoenix mode was a thing, fora while, hehe.

To reply to individual questions:

->Why does one of them like cavaliers?<-

She has a love for knights in shining armor, she finds them cool. For example, she likes Saber and Gilgamesh from fate/stay Night.

->Do they like grinding?<-

For support grinding, I think they do, but since they never bothered trying anything else other than normal/casual, I don't think they used it to power level their units.

->Do they like children?<-

Yes. One said she was not going to buy the game if it didn't have children, or if she couldn't marry Leon.

More things I might add:

They play mindlessly as in, they don't look at the battle stats menu before attacking, at least one of them does so.

The other, I am not sure, she might be a bit more accustomed to it, therefore she might look at the hit% and enemy range etc, but I've never seen her play the game. Plus, she talks to me more about hair eugenics than anything else lol. They don't care about passing down skills, too.

Therefore, I'm afraid a game like FE7 ENM might truly shake their view of FE. I fear that, at least one of them, will have too much of a hard time (she hates having a hard time), and thus might be disappointed... true, there is still Phoenix mode, but they thought it was kind of stupid.

You see, it's because the maps this time really have to have thought put in. I hope they will still find it fun even if it requires more thinking than usual.

I hope they keep in skinship because they'll love it.

Didn't read much of the above.

Comparatively speaking, I'd say the game is about as hard as ...I dunno, FE10 Normal?

Maybe slightly less difficult at times, and slightly more difficult at times (FE10's difficulty isn't consistent throughout in my opinion, while Conquest is)

weapons don't break

Isn't it Normal and Hard only?

Don't read every comment in a forum thread so excuse me if I'm repeating anything.

Being the meh player I am I find Normal on Nohr pretty challenging. It's much more difficult than Awakening, I'd have to say. My main points I'd make are weapon triangle actually matters, there is no random world map grinding, and units can be pretty tough at times.

(although I've been trying to lure them into the special edition to save money, but that's another thing).

Special Edition doesn't save money it's the same cost.
(rounding up) 40 base game + 20 other route + 20 Revelation = 80 usd, and the special edition costs the exact same.

Don't read every comment in a forum thread so excuse me if I'm repeating anything.

Being the meh player I am I find Normal on Nohr pretty challenging. It's much more difficult than Awakening, I'd have to say. My main points I'd make are weapon triangle actually matters, there is no random world map grinding, and units can be pretty tough at times.

Special Edition doesn't save money it's the same cost.

(rounding up) 40 base game + 20 other route + 20 Revelation = 80 usd, and the special edition costs the exact same.

It's alright! Thank you for the info, it's helpful.

I believe SE might save money over here, but I am not sure.

in some ways it's saving money. you don't have to use up SD card space. if you use a lot of space in general, then you might be forced to get a bigger/new card sooner. also, "save" money from the free artbook and stuff~