Who Else Thinks

GrayClouds23

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I wish all unmounted units had shove and mounted units had canto. Judgral!Capture sounds neat but I'd prefer a more toned down version of it.

While I used it on occasion, I don't think the old rescue was a very good system. It left the rescuer vulnerable because of the stat reductions, so you had one unit who couldn't fight at all and another that was fighting sub-optimally. Additionally, rescuing was limited by the characters' con (some units couldn't be rescued at all) so it was even more hamstrung as a mechanic. The new system actually makes the rescuer stronger and is the perfect skill for the cavalier class. It also works in conjunction with pair-up. It's a pretty logical evolution of the mechanic.

Edited by NekoKnight

Personally, I wish all unmounted units had shove and mounted units had canto. Judgral!Capture sounds neat but I'd prefer a more toned down version of it.

While I used it on occasion, I don't think the old rescue was a very good system. It left the rescuer vulnerable because of the stat reductions, so you had one unit who couldn't fight at all and another that was fighting sub-optimally. Additionally, rescuing was limited by the characters' con (some units couldn't be rescued at all) so it was even more hamstrung as a mechanic. The new system actually makes the rescuer stronger and is the perfect skill for the cavalier class. It also works in conjunction with pair-up. It's a pretty logical evolution of the mechanic.

This, literally just this.

Yeah but how much does that mean practically? If it's a way different (especially when it's in a negative way) then you're not going to say "yay, rescue and shove back" anyway

You know what's funny, I HAVE seen people say that, and they even acknowledged the new method, which is why I thought to mention it here.

I personally think the old Rescue system worked very well in conjunction with Canto. And the stat reductions should indicate that it was ultimately intended to be a means to get a squishier unit out of enemy range or transport a unit with lackluster move from point A to point B, not an effect to be facing hordes of enemies under. That's not to say the current system won't work sufficiently in a world of Pair Up, of course, but I don't really see it as that much of an evolution rather than just a completely different take on the concept.

The intention of the system is to save a unit from harm, so I should very hope that it doesn't make the rescuer stronger. There's a reason it's called 'Rescue'.

I highly disagree. The stat penalties were what made Rescue so interesting. Rescuing is actually very strong and has a lot of tactical applications: it's not only good for saving a unit from danger but it's also handy for things such as transporting units across the map and getting to key locations (such as a Lord to the seize spot) quicker, and you can do rescue chains the way you can kind of do pair up exchanges. It's an extremely powerful mechanic in the right hands, which is why the stat penalties were good: it meant you needed to put some thought in when rescuing and pay more attention to unit placement. The con limitations were also good for differentiating characters too in terms of rescuing ability; it buffed Shin's usefulness and really helped Shanna out since they could pick up the most units, giving them some special utility. Making a Rescuer stronger makes the mechanic pretty overpowered since there's no drawbacks.

The intention of the system is to save a unit from harm, so I should very hope that it doesn't make the rescuer stronger. There's a reason it's called 'Rescue'.

That's still the primary function. The unit in harms way gets rescued.

I highly disagree. The stat penalties were what made Rescue so interesting. Rescuing is actually very strong and has a lot of tactical applications: it's not only good for saving a unit from danger but it's also handy for things such as transporting units across the map and getting to key locations (such as a Lord to the seize spot) quicker, and you can do rescue chains the way you can kind of do pair up exchanges. It's an extremely powerful mechanic in the right hands, which is why the stat penalties were good: it meant you needed to put some thought in when rescuing and pay more attention to unit placement. The con limitations were also good for differentiating characters too in terms of rescuing ability; it buffed Shin's usefulness and really helped Shanna out since they could pick up the most units, giving them some special utility. Making a Rescuer stronger makes the mechanic pretty overpowered since there's no drawbacks.

I see we're equating inconvenient to "interesting". The Rescue skill has all the same tactical purposes of the old, minus the arbitrary limitations and stat penalties.

The new!Rescue isn't overpowered for a few reasons. 1. It's a skill so unless you are re-classing, only your cavaliers will have it. 2. The stat ups you get aren't necessarily going to be good for the rescuer. It will be small comfort if your Cavalier gets +Mag from his new Dark Mage buddy. 3. A unit with rescue has to be unpaired if they're going to be available to rescue. 4. Unlike games with Canto, once you use Rescue, your unit can't retreat further that turn.

Yes, new!Rescue is stronger than the old, but it takes up a skill slot and is only naturally acquired by one class.

Edited by NekoKnight

That's still the primary function. The unit in harms way gets rescued.

I see we're equating inconvenient to "interesting". The Rescue skill has all the same tactical purposes of the old, minus the arbitrary limitations and stat penalties.

The new!Rescue isn't overpowered for a few reasons. 1. It's a skill so unless you are re-classing, only your cavaliers will have it. 2. The stat ups you get aren't necessarily going to be good for the rescuer. It will be small comfort if your Cavalier gets +Mag from his new Dark Mage buddy. 3. A unit with rescue has to be unpaired if they're going to be available to rescue. 4. Unlike games with Canto, once you use Rescue, your unit can't retreat further that turn.

Yes, new!Rescue is stronger than the old, but it takes up a skill slot and is only naturally acquired by one class.

The unit gets rescued at no downside to the rescuer. That is a huge issue. They should get stat penalties.

That's incorrect. Rescue was good precisely because it had downsides and tradeoffs associated with it.

I don't see how blatant power creep and stat inflation are good for the series, nor do I see any value in mechanics that don't involve real decision-making. And there's almost no decision-making associated with Pair Up.

I for one am glad Weapon Weight and Con are gone. Same with Biorhythm. I always felt those features were just there to give the player more stats to keep track of, without really adding to the game's difficulty.

Ditch kids unless developers can NOT shoehorn them in for the sake of it *cough*Fates*cough*

Marriage is okay, but I'd like Avatar creation to get some improvements. I also miss a lot of gameplay mechanics from older games, most specifically Radiant Dawn. Ledge mechanics were AWESOME. And I liked affinities. I also don't approve of weapon durability or weapon weight being gone.

Oh yeah, things like face-rubbing and the forced sexual/ridiculous designs really need to go and stay gone. Also, destroying a unit's armor or ripping their clothes in battle is okay, but having their clothes fall off ENTIRELY is just wtf and disgusting. It's actually possible to make a unit naked (I saw a clip by accident and I still regret it). The dress-up thing is ridiculous too, unless there's someway it can actually be helpful/interesting.

My Castle in general seems really neat though.

So yeah, I honestly would like FE to go back to being a little more like the older titles, with a few newer features staying.

I would agree with most of this, although I would like to see the departure of marriage (post game in the ending descriptions I don't mind) and the avatar creation.

If we have to get custom avatar again--I'd rather not, but given how much people in general like them and from a business perspective it's unlikely they'd remove it, I would like more impactful choices and some level of branched endings, as well as just go all the way on customization and increase the number of options in face/hair/builds as well as custom default outfits.

Because fuck, I recognise some people like that thigh gap and I respect that, but that's not something I'd ever let an avatar of mine wear, so the best solution is just give some options--or maybe change outfits on reclass for the avatar in the default portrait. I'll gladly go for the shura outfit!

But seriously though, choices that matter, or how (well) you play certain maps ended up affecting the branch of story path (like allowing the map objectives to not be complete in a turn-limited chapter), the route you pick doesn't mean you necessarily win, etc

Not necessarily branching for every little thing because that's a hell lot of writing, but some branching would be cool

Because fuck, I recognise some people like that thigh gap and I respect that, but that's not something I'd ever let an avatar of mine wear, so the best solution is just give some options--or maybe change outfits on reclass for the avatar in the default portrait. I'll gladly go for the shura outfit!

They did this a bit for the FE12 Avatar, which I thought was cool. If future games let you choose your starting class, or even if they don't, class outfit themed starting portraits would be awesome. Alternatively, just change our portrait whenever we reclass. Dread Fighter portrait, ahhhh yeeeah.

They did this a bit for the FE12 Avatar, which I thought was cool. If future games let you choose your starting class, or even if they don't, class outfit themed starting portraits would be awesome. Alternatively, just change our portrait whenever we reclass. Dread Fighter portrait, ahhhh yeeeah.

That's exactly what I'm thinking of, haha