I finally decided to join the forums. Not only because I want to know and talk to the people in it, but also to help improve the quality and design of its members' game-related projects.

You see, I'm not really interested in learning ROM hacking or using FEXP myself, but I certainly enjoy watching YouTube videos related to it. More than a few hours have gone into Klokinator's, Markyjoe1990's, MageKnight404's, Mangs' and other people’s channels.

The games tend to be funny and enjoyable. Some even have nice visuals and interesting mechanics. But to be completely honest, I feel the overall quality of them is... well... lacking.

Sometimes the writing is appallingly bad. In other instances, the graphics leave much to be desired. And on the worst cases, the game isn't fun to play at all.

It seems most of these problems arise from the lack of experience and/or attention to detail from the creators, who in most cases are new to the world of ROM hacking/coding/game development.

That I can understand and forgive for two reasons:

First, because working on a project for fun and personal satisfaction is an experience we can all relate to and agree with. If you get no enjoyment from an experience and only remain because someone else says so, it becomes a chore. And, unless you're somehow getting paid for doing it, there’s really no reason to continue.

Second, because condemning a person for being a beginner is not only unreasonable and unfair, but it's also entirely hypocritical. Every human being starts without knowledge or direction. The community surrounding this person is responsible for providing the resources and information needed to develop one's abilities. A healthy environment full of polite and genuinely interested people is what makes all its members grow and become better. That’s how the great people of history and the societies they built came to be. We all need to start somewhere, and I believe sites like this forum serve that purpose very well.

Beginners can make mistakes when starting, as long as they learn from the experience. We expect them to do so.

However, there comes a point where inexperience becomes sloth. And that shouldn’t be excused.

Intentionally refusing the knowledge when being provided, working on a lazy, unclean and unfocused manner and being uncommitted to a project that already has the interest and following from other people, who have shown support since the beginning and are hoping to see progress, just because "it's easier that way” is completely unacceptable.

This community has provided top-quality content in the past, rivaling that of teams with higher budgets and more sophisticated resources. I believe its members are capable of great things if they commit to the task and get organized.

But there's a negative reputation, deserved or not, that follows almost every Fire Emblem fan game. The gaming community at large looks at hackers and fan game designers as amateurs, people without aim or focus that work on a whim, who are only wasting potential on another company's intellectual property when they could be working on their own.

I disagree with those who think that way. Productions that serve as a tribute to an already existing franchise have just as much value as a completely original game, not only because they're capable of having all the elements of a quality product, but also because they help newcomers hone their skills and reach a higher level of performance in whatever craft they're working with.

We, as a community, must work to change this negative way of thinking and show everyone that we're capable of doing great things.

I hope the day comes when a Fire Emblem fan game is not seen as lesser form of entertainment when compared to the original, but as it’s equal instead.

For now, all I can offer to the people in this forum is advice and support when requested or needed. If you wish to discuss something with me or want feedback on your project, please, let me know.

Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.

Edited by Alex Suárez

Intentionally refusing the knowledge when being provided, working on a lazy, unclean and unfocused manner and being uncommitted to a project that already has the interest and following from other people, who have shown support since the beginning and are hoping to see progress, just because "it's easier that way” is completely unacceptable.

I'm confused. I'm assuming you're referring to some cases of these things actually happening, but have you really all the information of things behind the scenes? Things don't simply fall into place, and hackers are (generally) doing this as a hobby, not for commercial gain, so I think it is completely acceptable to assume they might not be so devoted to focusing and knuckling down for a project that might take a majority of their time. You even acknowledge this previously.

But there's a negative reputation, deserved or not, that follows almost every Fire Emblem fan game. The gaming community at large looks at hackers and fan game designers as amateurs, people without aim or focus that work on a whim, who are only wasting potential on another company's intellectual property when they could be working on their own.

I disagree with those who think that way. Productions that serve as a tribute to an already existing franchise have just as much value as a completely original game, not only because they're capable of having all the elements of a quality product, but also because they help newcomers hone their skills and reach a higher level of performance in whatever craft they're working with.

We, as a community, must work to change this negative way of thinking and show everyone that we're capable of doing great things.

Why, exactly, in regards to changing? Those people are probably going to look at fan games the same way regardless. I'm not opposed to seeing the community grow but I hardly think we need to change other people's opinions about the Fire Emblem fan game community, nor have I really seen any supposed negativity or even much awareness of it to begin with.

Edited by Tryhard

Welcome to the forums, Alex Suárez.

Your introduction topic is more for talking about yourself, what you typed out would be a good topic for people to mull over in the romhacking forum.

So, is there anything about yourself that you can tell us? Why is Path of Radiance your favorite Fire Emblem, for example.