[Spoilers/Theory] Robin's true father?

Fleyr

For this theory, I'll use default Robin's(the one in Smash 4) as reference, since that's the "deafultest" look possible.

Hey there!

So recently I've noticed something while playing FE13, and it kinda shocked me when I realized it.

We all here know that most children in FE13 inherit their father's hair color, right?

And since Robin's hair color is up to the player, most children can have any of the selectable hair colors.

Now, very later in the game, we discover that Robin is the child of Fauder/Validar, and that becomes quite the plot point, as it explains how Validar managed to make Robin kill Chrom at the very beginning of the game.

He was controlling Robin through his blood, which was related to his own.

But here's what I noticed.

Robin and Validar do not share their hair color at all.

...Quite shocking, I know.

This can mean a few things:

1) Robin could not actually be Validar's child​

Which seems quite an idiotic thing, since the game explicitly tells otherwise to us, but bear with me for a bit.

I think that Robin was some random kid that Validar kidnapped and ended up brainwashing said kid to believe that

he was their real father.

Maybe he saw the potential Robin had to be Grima's Vessel and decided to seize the opportunity, so as to not take

risks.

Eventually, something happened to Robin, and that something triggered their memories.

That and finding out that they had been lied to the entire time made them flee from Validar's reach, only to be found by

GimRey (That's what I'm calling the Robin from the future, who decided to accept being the vessel. Thanks shadowofchaos.)in Ylisse and have their memories disabled until later in the game.

The shock from GimRey and their memories made Robin faint, only to be found later by Chrom, Lissa and Fredrick.

When Validar controlled Robin, it simply was controlling using Grima's power to seize a good vessel for Grima.Since the fell dragon wanted that too, he lent Validar some of his power, so that he could be reborn as GimRey.

Now there might be a few errors within this theory, especially the fact that Robin never seems to mention that, nor does

Validar or Aversa.

Or the fact that this game seems to love plotholes.

But it has enough evidence to make it at least plausible, so I guess it's up for you to decide if you'll believe it or not.

Now, onward to "thing" 2.

2) It's just a silly plothole, and I should stop thinking too deep.

Don't forget that we are still talking about FE13, and it's tightly-written story.

This seems to be enough evidence to break the theory too, so yeah.

Or maybe...

3) They may use this not-resolved plotline to make another game in Ylisse that follows Awakening.

Which seems likely too, since Awakening revitalized the franchise in the West and is the best selling in the series.

Who knows?

Like point 2, I won't delve too much into this, as it is real-life speculation.

Endgame

I'd like to invite you guys to share your thoughts in this thread, be it evidence, criticism or any kind of commentary.

After all, this is why people like to come to SF...right?

I don't know if someone else already posted something like this, but if they did, sorry in advance.

I hope we can spark some nice discussion out of this!

And who knows what will happen in the future, right?

Thank you for reading until here!

Have a nice day!

YBU0b9F.jpg

Edited by Fleyr

Children don't always inherit their hair color from their father. FeMorgan gets her hair color from her mother.

If Morgan is an exception to the rule, why can't the Avatar be one as well?

That is what I was think myself. It could all be down to the avatar's mother that gives them their hair colour and not Validar. Granted Robin looks nothing like Validar. If anything Aversa looks closer than Robin.

That said the theory makes no sense when Robin is said to be "bred" implying that Validar is their father.

First, not every child will inherit their hair color from their father. Female!Morgan will always inherit her mother's (and also grandfather's, in the case of a third gen Morgan) hair color. So I would think Robin's hair color (other than black, I guess) would come from their mother and if your theory is right, then that most mean that Chrom, Lissa, and Emmeryn are only half siblings due to the fact that their father must had blue or blond hair.

Second, why did you mention Severa at all? She has nothing to do with this theory (that I can see, anyway). Unless you meant Severa and Robin's supports which doesn't mention Robin's past at all.

Third, Robin being Validar's child is the only reason why they can become Grima's vessel in first place and at the end of the day, is the sole reason why Robin was born. Robin needed Grima's blood to become Grima's vessel, and where did Robin get Grima's blood? From Validar.

I must apologize if I seem rude but I don't think this was very a good theory, like at all.

Edited by December Knight

Morgan's default hair color is pink, according to bugged Streetpass teams. According to this, Robin's canon dad should be someone with pink hair, no?

Anyway I don't think it's that big of a deal because if it was true, it would explain nothing about the story, and the purpose of theories is to, well, explain stuff. There's also the whole thing where Grima's blood had to be refined through centuries, and I doubt some random kid would suddenly have that.

Here's a theory of mine:

Apotheosis!Anna is the main antagonist all this time, while Grima is not. It makes sense because she is the hardest boss in the game!

I agree. I believe she orchestrated the plot of Awakening. After all, more war=more money! Oh yeah, and she even ruined the kids' home universe cuz they scammed her or something...

As for the theory, meh. I think Robin would probably resemble their mother much more.

CZ Yoshi, I thought the official art showed it was brown?

Children don't always inherit their hair color from their father. FeMorgan gets her hair color from her mother.

If Morgan is an exception to the rule, why can't the Avatar be one as well?

Sorry, I forgot to put "most" in that line, which is strange, since I actually wrote this down on paper first, but thanks for reminding me!

And yes, he could, but the whole thing about the hair color became kinda weird with Inigo and Owain being included in Fates.

Curiously enough, Aversa and Robin seem to share the same hair color, and they are stated to not be related by blood at all. Could white hair be a Plegian sorcerer thing? Henry also seems to share that trait.

Yes, it could, but that would leave Tharja out.

That is what I was think myself. It could all be down to the avatar's mother that gives them their hair colour and not Validar. Granted Robin looks nothing like Validar. If anything Aversa looks closer than Robin.

That said the theory makes no sense when Robin is said to be "bred" implying that Validar is their father.

Yes, Robin could be an exception.

First, not every child will inherit their hair color from their father. Female!Morgan will always inherit her mother's (and also grandfather's, in the case of a third gen Morgan) hair color. So I would think Robin's hair color (other than black, I guess) would come from their mother and if your theory is right, then that most mean that Chrom, Lissa, and Emmeryn are only half siblings due to the fact that their father must had blue or blond hair.

Second, why did you mention Severa at all? She has nothing to do with this theory (that I can see, anyway). Unless you meant Severa and Robin's supports which doesn't mention Robin's past at all.

Third, Robin being Validar's child is the only reason why they can become Grima's vessel in first place and at the end of the day, is the sole reason why Robin was born. Robin needed Grima's blood to become Grima's vessel, and where did Robin get Grima's blood? From Validar.

I must apologize if I seem rude but I don't think this was very a good theory, like at all.

I really feel bad about forgetting that "most" right now.

I mentioned Aversa because she is shown to be rather close to Validar in the main storyline, so maybe she could know something.

Yes, they must have Grima's blood to become the vessel, but if Validar went through generations of "purification" of said blood, it would explain his physical traits, like his height for example, which is not shared by Robin either, and since that might be an effect of the blood, I doubt he would make his child with any woman that didn't have the pure Grima blood, which would make her share those traits with Validar, and consequentially pass them onto Robin.

That means Validar isn't the only person with rather pure Grima blood, leaving the possibility that some other member of the Grimleal could have even purer blood, and that Validar was merely coordinating Robin's birth, manipulating the parents to get the best blood, and then implanting the Grima mindset on Robin once he was captured.

I think said members were hidden away by Validar, so that he wouldn't lose his position as the leader of the Grimleal.

Don't worry, I didn't take you as rude.

And this is all just pointless speculation for possible plot points for a likely direct sequel.

Morgan's default hair color is pink, according to bugged Streetpass teams. According to this, Robin's canon dad should be someone with pink hair, no?

Anyway I don't think it's that big of a deal because if it was true, it would explain nothing about the story, and the purpose of theories is to, well, explain stuff. There's also the whole thing where Grima's blood had to be refined through centuries, and I doubt some random kid would suddenly have that.

I didn't know that.

Could you please post the source? I'm rather curious now.

And yes, it isn't that big of a deal, I just really like to waste my time thinking about pointless stuff.

Edited by Fleyr

You can test it yourself! Just open your Avatar Logbook, find an Avatar recruited through Streetpass with the opposite gender of the one you're currently using, and check their pairings on the bottom screen. If they have Morgan recruited and paired, s/he'll show up there with pink hair.

Edit: actually, here's a direct screenshot of what he looks like.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Wow, I had no idea it showed up like that.

You can test it yourself! Just open your Avatar Logbook, find an Avatar recruited through Streetpass with the opposite gender of the one you're currently using, and check their pairings on the bottom screen. If they have Morgan recruited and paired, s/he'll show up there with pink hair.

Edit: actually, here's a direct screenshot of what he looks like.

Edited by Fleyr

Curiously enough, Aversa and Robin seem to share the same hair color, and they are stated to not be related by blood at all. Could white hair be a Plegian sorcerer thing? Henry also seems to share that trait.

Phila isn't plegian

Phila isn't plegian

She's obviously Phil-egian.

And wow, I didn't expect the whole "Gim-Rey" thing to stick. Haha.

Though I think they are Fauder/Validar's child.

The chances of Robin being Grima's vessel without specific breeding for it sounds very... unlikely, or at least at the surface.

Edited by shadowofchaos

She's obviously Phil-egian.

083c460eb8.jpg

And wow, I didn't expect the whole "Gim-Rey" thing to stick. Haha.

Though I think they are Fauder/Validar's child.

The chances of Robin being Grima's vessel without specific breeding for it sounds very... unlikely, or at least at the surface.

I almost thought this was a joke when I read Gimrey at first

Edited by Elieson

I mentioned Severa because she is shown to be rather close to Validar in the main storyline, so maybe she could know something.

You mean Aversa I guess (Severa is Cordelia's daughter, and has nothing to do with Validar if memory serves)

Edited by Sartek

For this theory, I'll use default Robin's(the one in Smash 4) as reference, since that's the "deafultest" look possible.

there's your problem. the entire point of avatars is design customisation and the game pays exactly zero heed to their default appearance beyond the creation screen. there's a reason 13 and 14 go to such lengths to keep their avatars' heads hidden in any scene that can't be easily generated with portraits or battle models, after all. when you're designing a character who's the father of a customisable avatar, you know going in that no matter how much you push a default build that might match the father's hair colour, there's going to be a fuckton of people who choose every other hair colour so your attempts to carefully match are boned no matter what you do, so the odds are very good that they did not give the slightest shit about validar's hair needing to match avatar colours for this reason. after all, kids have different hair colours from their parents all the time

the decision was almost certainly more practically minded rather than being intended to cast doubt on the parentage thing, and it's certainly not a basis to question information that the game explicitly feeds you about the avatar and validar. fe13 is many things, but being tricky and deceptive with these revelations really isn't one of them

Hair inheritance in the 2 generation system is a product of having something easily programmable and reproducible, so the player knows exactly what they're getting (most of the time, bald characters is always interesting to find out)

Actual real life genetics don't follow that to start with, and anime genetics outside of needing a programmable and reproducible way of inheriting hair have even less rules.

there's your problem. the entire point of avatars is design customisation and the game pays exactly zero heed to their default appearance beyond the creation screen. there's a reason 13 and 14 go to such lengths to keep their avatars' heads hidden in any scene that can't be easily generated with portraits or battle models, after all. when you're designing a character who's the father of a customisable avatar, you know going in that no matter how much you push a default build that might match the father's hair colour, there's going to be a fuckton of people who choose every other hair colour so your attempts to carefully match are boned no matter what you do, so the odds are very good that they did not give the slightest shit about validar's hair needing to match avatar colours for this reason. after all, kids have different hair colours from their parents all the time

the decision was almost certainly more practically minded rather than being intended to cast doubt on the parentage thing, and it's certainly not a basis to question information that the game explicitly feeds you about the avatar and validar. fe13 is many things, but being tricky and deceptive with these revelations really isn't one of them

On the other hand, as you actually bring it up...

Validar being the adoptive father, because I imagine cult members giving up their child to the leader would be seen as a "heroic" sacrifice, which could have the genetics required for the resurrection of an Evil Dragon...

would explain every instance of all the hair colors, no matter what you pick at the creation screen.

Validar is the father and Grima obviously changed his hair color for reasons.

Doesn't Donnel have his mother's hair color? I mean sure they don't show the father, but that's something and like mentioned Em and Lissa have different hair colors from Chrom. Hair color seems just like a convenience to show lineage when they want to and an easy way to determine the hair color of the children to produce a variety of different looking children instead of making every father result in the same color hair color for the children character.

On the other hand, as you actually bring it up...

Validar being the adoptive father, because I imagine cult members giving up their child to the leader would be seen as a "heroic" sacrifice, which could have the genetics required for the resurrection of an Evil Dragon...

would explain every instance of all the hair colors, no matter what you pick at the creation screen.

And give the single-handed most frightening theory yet. That and maybe it could explain why Robin's mother got afraid about their fate...well could be the same if she were Validar's actual wife as well...(as to why anyone would marry Validar is beyond my understanding *shudders*)

Arranged marriage probably. She probably didn't have a choice.

Or maybe Validar was actually a good husband when he wasn't thinking about religion. With Robin being such a perfect vessel and everything, Validar may have gotten a bit busy.

Doesn't Donnel have his mother's hair color?

I think so. But she looks old enough that it could be naturally grey as well.

The Grimleal are a breeding cult, Validar could have had a hundred wives for all we know.

I'm quite sure the devs weren't intending it to be extrapolated that way, though.

Or maybe Validar was actually a good husband when he wasn't thinking about religion. With Robin being such a perfect vessel and everything, Validar may have gotten a bit busy.

It's possible.

On a side note there was a fan fiction out there that suggested that Robin's mother was a very bright sort and that Validar thought she'd be perfect (to produce Grima's vessel) but she said no to his initial proposal so he threatened to murder her entire village if she didn't marry him. Including her parents or something to that affect. She basically was forced into marrying him to protect her family (and by extension her friends). Intially she rejected Robin and took him/her to spite Validar. Of course somehow Robin gets tactician training between being taken away from Validar and being found by Chrom and the shepherds.