Pairings that make the more sense

Enaluxeme

This may not be the first topic of its kind, but please bear with me.

I recently found this topic, which has a similar goal to what I had in mind for a bit: trying to figure out what father makes more sense for every child character. I wouldn't say "canon", for every pairing could be considered canon, but basically... Yeah. So instead of necroing that topic I opened this.

What we are looking at to determine a good father-child combination is mainly their supports and in general all the supports of the child to see if they inherited some quirk that can be linked to a specific father. Also interaction between parents during scenes is important.

Other than that we can see that starting class is important too in 2 prominent cases: Lucina inherits his father's lord class, while Morgan inherits either his/her non Robin parent's class or starts as tactician.

I would skip Chrom as he is obviously paired with Sumia. Someone, TheBakonBitz included, may complain saying that Chrom should marry Olivia, but let's just skip it for now and leave it last if there are problems pairing Sumia and Olivia.

TheBakonBitz provided enough proof for Lissa x Lon'Qu = Owain and Tharja x Gaius = Noire, the former for the arrows that keep targeting Lon'Qu for some reason (also Owain is the only myrmidon/swordmaster in the game who doesn't hail from Chon'sin, so a myrmidon father makes even more sense) and the latter for Noire's liking of sweets and her father's stealing abilities.

I want to add my personal favourite: Sully x Kellam = Kjelle. There are an awful lot of things Kjelle inherits from Kellam: class, physical prowess (hinted in many different supports), ability to disappear and possibly the big armor she uses for training.

• Owain: Hey, Kjelle? You want me to take care of this helmet, or... Heh... Should've known. She's gone again. I'm doing her a favor, and she leaves all the work to me? That's gratitude for you! Sometimes I don't know what to do with that girl... She obviously loves this old set of armor. Why won't she give the poor thing a name? Doesn't even have to be a good one. It's the spirit of the thing that counts. I'm probably wasting my time here, but I can't bear the thought of Kjelle being hurt. But if I can't be there to keep her safe, I can at least make sure her gear is! Hold her close, armor. Smother her with all your shiny, steely, plated goodness. Tell her all the things that I dare not. Tell her how much I...love her.
  • Kjelle: You what?!
  • Owain: K-Kjelle? Is that you? But I don't see you anywhere. Where did that... Aaaaaaah!
  • Kjelle: ...I'm here. In my armor.
  • Owain: But I thought you'd left! Why are you hiding in there while I'm out doing all the work?!
  • Kjelle appears
  • Kjelle: I wanted to make sure you wouldn't slack off if I wasn't around to watch you.

Also Sully is one of the few who aren't startled by Kellam appearing and disappearing, and being a pretty overwelming woman she would make the more sense out of their paired ending.

I'm also thinking about Virion!Yarne, but that probably needs some discussion. And I have a theory for Morgan's mother that I'll probably share later.

Pairings until now:

• Chrom x Sumia (Olivia?)
  • Lissa x Lon'Qu (Vaike?)
  • Tharja x Gaius
  • Sully x Kellam
Edited by Enaluxeme

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrom/Sumia: The pair favored by canon. It also makes way more sense for Cynthia to attach herself to someone she thought was Chrom if Chrom was her dad (assuming Chrom died when Cynthia was very young)

Vaike/Lissa: Owain's personality is basically Lissa's and Vaike's combined airheaded-ness along with Vaike's ego and Lissa's hyper-ness.

Lon'qu/Olivia: Both vassals of Basilio's, both super shy, and it makes it so that the child of the two shyest individuals in the army is a huge flirt. Perfect.

Virion/Cherche: Pairing a lord and his lady knight is a Fire Emblem tradition.

Everyone has their ships. I personally like Kellam with Miriel more than with Sully, but that's not the point of this topic and posting lists of names will not bring us anywhere.

Please everyone, give some sort of proof for every pairing, and let's discuss them one by one.

Those are the pairings that make the most sense to me. But in terms of parent/parent, not in terms of parent/child. Discussing how it makes sense parent/child is, in my opinion, silly. The supports between the kids and their fathers are generic, and I don't see any trait any child has that can be linked to the father, only the mother. But...

Cynthia followed a bandit she thought was Chrom, makes sense especially if Chrom is her father.

Owain is like a combination of Lissa and Vaike in terms of personality.

Laurent and Gerome's personalities remind me of Frederick and Lon'qu's, respectively. I could also see Inigo being Lon'qu's son, but Gerome makes more sense to me.
It makes sense for sexist Sully and her even more sexist daughter to be with the lady's man Virion, it's the kind of irony that many games seem to hold in romantic pairings.

And the rest really don't have much to add to anything that could link them to a father.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Chrobin, I feel it "fits" the story.

Virion/Sully, Both do want to protect others, and their "colors" together make Kjelle's purple. Kjelle looks at her future past self a little too much like Virion stares in the mirror too much...

EDIT: I feel like there's more, but ugh, I can't seem to come up with 'deeper' reasons.

Cherche/Minerva They're always together and Cherche remained single for so long...

I like a bunch of ships, but I don't feel the 'canon' just yet.

And of course, Carvantes and his mustache! SEE HOW HIS MUSTACHE TWIRLS IN THE WIND!!!

Edited by ChickenWings

Cordelia x Inigo

Severa's mom has got it going on

She's all I want and I've waited for so long

Sev', can't you see, you're just not the girl for me

I know it might be wrong but

I'm in love with Severa's mom

Anyway back on topic, as far as "canon" pairings... I still think there isn't really anything really canon.

I do remember Henry!Owain had a different conversation during his support with his dad.

Of course, the support between the parents must make sense too. However, considering the father/child supports is most certainly not silly, as some make absolutely no sense, like Yarne accusing Lon'Qu of talking too much with other women.

Regarding Vaike x Lissa, it's one I considered too. Honestly both Lon'Qu and Vaike make sense. I just went with Lon'Qu for the Chon'sin myrmidon problem and that little scene with Lissa when you recruit him (which is basically the only one not involving Chrom x Sumia). Since both are good candidates, let's see if one of them is needed somewhere else.

For Lon'Qu x Olivia, I want fo point out that Lon'Qu isn't shy at all, he has gynophobia caused by a traumatic event. Still, it's a pairing worth considering, as Inigo starting with a killing edge is most suspicious for a mercenary.

Anyway, this topic is going out of control quickly, so I propose to slow down a bit.

Let's start by the pairings in the first post, does anyone have a problem with then or a different opinion he/she can back-up (aside from Vaike x Lissa)?

Lissa x Vaike (explains why Owain has a screw loose)

Olivia x Virion (dancing partners)

Outside of that you can for the most part get the official art hair colors through pairings

Maribelle x Libra

Cordelia x Gregor/Ricken

Miriel x Gregor/Ricken

Sully x Donnel/Lon'Qu

Tharja x Donnel/Lon'Qu

Sumia x Frederick

Cherche x Stahl (leftover)

Chrom x Femtar (I seem to recall Morgan having Blue/Black hair)

Nowi x Maltar (Green haired Nah with Green Hair Male Avi)

Panne x Henry

Edited by Dwlr

Hair color isn't a good way of choosing pairings as many children just can'have the right ones: Severa has a brighter red color than Ricken and Gregor, there are no grey haired fathers for Cynthia and Inigo, no green haired father for Nah and Morgan has dark hairs (I suspect it references his/her granpa Val).

I kinda understand Vaike and Lissa, though...

Doesn't Owain admit he only acts nutty so he can keep his comrades' spirits up?

I honestly believe Frederick/Lissa makes more 'sense' than Lon'qu/Lissa, though it'seems mostly because they have more 'close' interactions.

Hair color isn't a good way of choosing pairings as many children just can'have the right ones: Severa has a brighter red color than Ricken and Gregor, there are no grey haired fathers for Cynthia and Inigo, no green haired father for Nah and Morgan has dark hairs (I suspect it references his/her granpa Val).

Cynthia has brown hair not grey and Virion is pretty much Inigo's hair color. The dark blue on Chrom is pretty close to Morgan's art. You can't hit the bright red for Severa, but red is still red. It's not the best indicator sure, but if you're trying to argue 'canon' you forsure can't argue any of them that give massively wayward hair colors either and to me several of them seem pretty fitting to me as well.

Cynthia has brown hair not grey and Virion is pretty much Inigo's hair color. The dark blue on Chrom is pretty close to Morgan's art. You can't hit the bright red for Severa, but red is still red. It's not the best indicator sure, but if you're trying to argue 'canon' you forsure can't argue any of them that give massively wayward hair colors either and to me several of them seem pretty fitting to me as well.

... Wat?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/6/6d/Inigo_%28FE13_Artwork%29.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20130524032649

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/8/89/Morgan_%28FE13_Artwork%29.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20130507235047

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/c9/Cynthia_Artwork.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/275?cb=20150923130342

Morgan's hair color is closer to Say'ri then Chrom

Chrom x Oliva: For many of the reasons stated in the previous thread but also because Inigo is the only other second child to have the mark of the naga. His is in his right eye which is the opposite of Lucina.

Tharja x Gaius: Another one that i agree with for many of the same reasons.

Sully x Kellam: Another one that i agree with for many of the same reasons as the OP.

Vaike x Cherche: During Vaike and Gerome support conversion Vaike mentions Chrom a lot which is something i did not see him do with the other children that i had him with in the past (Note that i have not seen all of Vaikes conversations with his possible children so feel free to point out something if i am wrong).

Vaike: I been thinkin': we're father and son... Perhaps it's time we started actin' like it. Lucina calls Chrom "Father," right? Maybe you should try that with me?

Gerome: You may look like my father, but you are not the same man. My father is dead and gone. ...You are a stranger.
Vaike: Ouch! That was pretty cold, friend. (And Chrom wins yet again...) Look, I know your true father is gone, and I know ya must miss him greatly. ...But I thought maybe our relationship could help heal that wound.

Gerome: It matters not. Minerva says you are family, and I am thus duty bound to accept you. I'm... I'm sorry I treated you so poorly. ...Father.

Vaike: ...Did you just call me Father?
Gerome: Don't get used to it. ...Minerva, to me! We're leaving!
Vaike: W-wait, Gerome! Son! Say it once more! Say it in front of Chrom!

They also have a very similar hair style, not color.

Now a lot of the evidence for the next ones will be coming from the DLC Future Past. I know that it may not be the best evidence since it is DLC about a parallel world but i still think it can offer us some insight about the children that we normally wouldn't get.

Cordeila x Gregor: First off this support is just amazing and secondly did you ever wonder why Severa's starting class is a mercenary? In Future Past Severa says that she became a mercenary because of her father.

Severa: I loved you so much, I decided to be a mercenary like you when I took the field. You were my model of strength! When you died, you robbed me of more than just a father. Don't you get it?

Maribelle x Frederick: Brady's bad speaking habits are one of the things that Maribelle hates and its suggested that Brady does it because he is rebelling but its a little weird for a kid to rebel against just one parent right? Well in Future Past we see that it is both parents that Brady is rebelling against.

Frederick: Yes, in fact. I see Maribelle and I raise a very perceptive son. ...Your tone could use a bit of refinement, but I'm willing to overlook that.

Brady: Can it, Sir Nosy! You'd rebel too if you had to grow up with two meticulous parents.
Frederick: Is that why you talk like that? You're "rebelling"?
Brady: Yeah. My ma and pop were way too overprotective. But I know they did it out of love. I wish I hadn't fought back so much. Now I'll never get to see them again... Sometimes I wish I could visit the next world just to say I'm sorry.

Nowi x Donnel: Now this one has a little less evidence than the other ones but i still think it is pretty important. Nah and Donnel conversation in Future Past revolve around Donnel's famous stone and that Nah has had it with her since Donnel has died. This stone is really important to Donnel and shows up in his support conversations and i think its interesting that Nah is the only one of his potential kids to have the stone.

These last two have really little evidence for them but i thought i should mention them just in case.

Sumia x Henry: First off this is another support that everyone should see at least once. Now as far as evidence for this paring goes it simply comes down to process of elimination. Sumia is one of the two characters that cannot marry every character and since i have already married her other possible husbands above (beside MRobin) that just leaves Henry. I still love this couple despite the lack of evidence and Cynthia's happy attitude might be because of Henry.

Lissia x Libra: Another support that i like but the evidence is more based on Fates than awakening.

In Fates Owain shows up again but his base class this time around is a Dark Mage rather than a Myrmidon. He would normally only have this class if his father was Robin, Henry, or Libra. Since i already have Henry married and since we dont know the real gender of Robin that just leaves Libra.

I dont really have any evidence for the other children and just picked there fathers based on skills or what i would prefer like Miriel x Virion.

@Cquel: someone has to check the same conversations in different pairings. If they change than they aren't good proof; if Severa can say that she wanted to be a mercenary like her father Ricken and Vaike was too strict with Brady then you are right.

@Radiant head: totally right, I hate that pairing DX

I don't think there are any pairings that make absolute perfect sense. And this was probably done so some pairings don't seem entirely more canon than others (even Chrom x Sumia doesn't make perfect sense when you take the arguments people have made here for Chrom x Olivia into account, like Inigo being the only possible second Chrom kid to confirm having the Naga mark. He resembles Chrom quite a bit too). Everyone should just have their preferred pairings and that's that.

Edited by Anacybele

Well given that this game has almost every possible S-support (for opposite gender), and how every said S-support has a variation of crushing, I'm not that surprised.

The older (by a lot) person is probably more accountable in this situation.

The Morgan in your pic is the son of Chrom, of course he has the same hair ._.

I realize that posted it to show that it's close to the official. Blue isn't a far cry from black and blue is on occasion used as a substitute for black for shading reasons.