Is it just me or are a lot of units really useless in this game?

The prepromoted of the wolfguard are actually very powerful as they have super growths. But yeah, this game doesn't shine for the balance of units (both power and diversity).

This game tried way too hard to bring everyone back. This is why so many units show up out of nowhere with a tacked-on intro line.

Michalis and the Wolfguard are easily the worst offenders.

Oh right, got the wrong game. But the wolfguard still as good growths, I think?

OK growths, but they have bad bases for high levels, which makes them pretty bad.

Edited by Jave

This game tried way too hard to bring everyone back. This is why so many units show up out of nowhere with a tacked-on intro line.

Michalis and the Wolfguard are easily the worst offenders.

Eh, the Wolf Guard was in the original. I thought not being allowed to rerecruit most of them in the original FE3 added to the tragedy/realism, and I liked that their personalities were fleshed out more in FE12 through their recruitment conversations and other extra dialog.

Eh, the Wolf Guard was in the original. I thought not being allowed to rerecruit most of them in the original FE3 added to the tragedy/realism, and I liked that their personalities were fleshed out more in FE12 through their recruitment conversations and other extra dialog.

I know that. I meant bringing them back as playable characters, which really makes no sense for the Wolfguard since they're established to be super loyal to a fault.

Roshea being the only who defects made sense back in FE3 since he was the youngest and it was established he sensed something wasn't right with Hardin.

Edited by Jave

I really wouldn't put on them on the same level with Michalis. The recruitment convos and the fact that you have to essentially work your way up their 'hierarchy' to persuade all of them justify it well enough and make sense to me.

The rest of them just remained out of battle in FE3, so making them recruitable wasn't a change to anything that existed already, just an addition to it. They're just not elaborated on any further.

Michalis getting killed off in FE3 makes less sense to me, it's basically a repeat of what happens to him in SD which just stuck out to me as unfitting given the change he underwent character-wise and I fail to view it as "getting redeemed" or whatever people interpret into it. I also like having a free silvers unit that I can use without any trouble.

Edited by Gradivus.

Yeah, Michalis living in the first place after FE1/11 was pretty weird, and then him just randomly dying after giving you starlight was pretty weird anyway, I think it's cool they included him. I'm more dubious about characters like Leidan, Belf, Malice. Dice etc who are just like YEAH WE'RE HERE TOO.

The cool thing about Book 2 was how some of your former friends were now your enemies. The remake gutted most of that, and while I still generally like the Shadow Dragon feel of everything (vicariously reclassing units is a lot of fun) I thought those decisions made the story a lot less compelling. By all rights the people of Macedon should have had Michalis hanging from a rope.

Mind you I only played the remake in Japanese but I've heard that disappointment with the story presentation is a fairly common complaint.

The cool thing about Book 2 was how some of your former friends were now your enemies. The remake gutted most of that, and while I still generally like the Shadow Dragon feel of everything (vicariously reclassing units is a lot of fun) I thought those decisions made the story a lot less compelling. By all rights the people of Macedon should have had Michalis hanging from a rope.

Mind you I only played the remake in Japanese but I've heard that disappointment with the story presentation is a fairly common complaint.

I dont think the story is terrible. It just has had a lot of effort put into it excluding the fan translation added stuff, its more refined. But at the same time the new stuff didn't quite smooth into the refined content they added. Just my opinion but I think the story is better written in 12 than 3. The biggest complaint for the most part is MU's involvement which to some just killed the feel.

I think a major reason for why a good chunk of the cast is really outclassed is because they still have their FE3 bases, despite FE12 having much higher stats, although there are exceptions, and of course some of your units get the benefit of that 7 chapter long prologue.

Its super apparent on difficulties like Lunatic.

Oh right, got the wrong game. But the wolfguard still as good growths, I think?

Pretty much everyone in this game has good growths though.

Edited by Jedi

They could have added the full Wolfguard to appear in C20 but not had them recruitable except Roshea IMO. That'd have been fantastic. Perhaps if you somehow spared all of them a la FE6 Douglas then they'd appear in the ending too.

Edited by Irysa

One thing I noticed about this game, that's quite different from other Fire Emblem games, is that it practically picks who you're going to use for you. There's Marth and the My Unit. One is the lord and the other is the lord for the entire prologue so he'll be so over leveled it would be idiotic not to use him for the entire game. Then there is Malliesia. The only healer you have till halfway through the game. Then there's Sirius, Minerva, Merric, and Julian who are necessary if you want to wake the four princess' in the final chapter. Feena is the only dancer in the game so if you want a dancer she's necessary too. Palla(and catria to an extent) will be overleveled by the time you get her since she levels up so much having to protect the village that Julian's in in chapter 3 so it would be idiotic not to use her too. Same goes for Ogma when he and Sirius are surrounded by bandits.

The way this game is set up makes it feel like just about every character other than small bunch just "there". I'm personally fine with it, but it really makes me wonder what they were thinking with this.

Actually, a lot of the units do have improved bases from their FE3 counterparts (e.g. Astram, Sheema). It's just that their improvements are so lame that people assumed that they didn't change anything at all.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I noticed about this game, that's quite different from other Fire Emblem games, is that it practically picks who you're going to use for you. There's Marth and the My Unit. One is the lord and the other is the lord for the entire prologue so he'll be so over leveled it would be idiotic not to use him for the entire game. Then there is Malliesia. The only healer you have till halfway through the game. Then there's Sirius, Minerva, Merric, and Julian who are necessary if you want to wake the four princess' in the final chapter. Feena is the only dancer in the game so if you want a dancer she's necessary too. Palla(and catria to an extent) will be overleveled by the time you get her since she levels up so much having to protect the village that Julian's in in chapter 3 so it would be idiotic not to use her too. Same goes for Ogma when he and Sirius are surrounded by bandits.

The way this game is set up makes it feel like just about every character other than small bunch just "there". I'm personally fine with it, but it really makes me wonder what they were thinking with this.

I draft this game. Which means that there's a lot of stuff in here that doesn't align with my experience.

- Healers: Wrys comes in Chapter 3x, and Yumina comes in Chapter 4. If you're super-desperate, you can reclass someone to staffbot (with male class sets combined, Cord can go curate).

- It isn't necessary to train any of Sirius/Minerva/Merric/Julian. Of these, only Julian doesn't get a ten-move option, as Merric can be insta-promoted and reclass. Once you convince one of the four to join your side, you can use the various staves to make things work (Rescue/Again, to be precise).

- While Palla/Catria are really good, it's possible to beat the game without them. . .and on something that's not Lunatic, it's not a huge struggle, either.

- Though everyone in Chapter 4 that's already on the map is free to use in drafts, they can all be safely set to the side after that mess of a chapter. Chapter 6, on the other hand. . .

So that cuts down the "mandatory" units to Marth, MU, and Feena. Which isn't a bad spread at all.

Now, as for the useless units. . .a bunch of 'em were added in because they didn't exist in FE3 (I'm thankful because I happen to be fond of a few of them), but I think the developers had Normal in mind.

Most characters got their stats raised. Just not enough to keep up with the enemies on higher difficulties.

It's weird how the units with unaltered stats tend to be the ones who already had bad stats in the original game, like Yubello or Rickard. Sure, let's buff Julian but leave his already weaker brother completely unaltered.

Edited by BrightBow

At least in this game Wolf and Sedgar didn't hog all the growths like they did in Shadow Dragon.

Still, the units in this game only really pale in the harder or hardest of difficulties. Even some like Darros who join rather late aren't too shabby - though they need some stat boosters or Rainbow Potion to really keep going.

• 2 weeks later...
I think a major reason for why a good chunk of the cast is really outclassed is because they still have their FE3 bases

Heh Wolf and Sedgar had the most awful stats back in FE3, when you fight them their base stats are all 8 if I recall right. Mostly due to them using generic unit stats and hunters/horsemen had garbage growths (10% growths in all stats save RES (0%) and HP (60%))