Why does Jill suck so much?

When did you promote her?

She gained no HP and like two strength.

Jill's problem is her earlygame. She has low base strength and "only" 45% strength growth.

But with average strength growth, forged axed and beastfoe she should be able to oneshot a cat.

She starts a bit and fragile in part 1, but becomes Imo the best unit in endgame, because she has the best caps besides reavers.

I go even further to say that she's the best unit in the game.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

You should also be careful on leveling up units a lot through BEXP. It's usually better to give them enough BEXP so that they start chapters with 80 EXP (and thus level up as soon as they kill an unit).

That said, Jill should be a great unit despite BEXP dumping, but if you promoted her on a low level and gave her levels through BEXP dumping, then I can see why she sucks now.

She's also only in second tier when your Dawn Brigade should be hitting third tier by now. Not many units can put up a fight when they are basically 20 levels below what they should be. Reminds me of this Let's Player that was using Seth in Ch19 and said "he was really starting to suck now". Then he leveled up...to level 2.

If you didn't level up the chapter 1 units enough then it becomes really hard to play chapter 3

Jill is one of the best units in the game if you don't use master emblems and get her to her third stage, on par with Haar

Youre not using her well, lol. Jills easily a Top 5 candidate for best in the game. Some even consider her the best next to Haar.

She starts a bit and fragile in part 1, but becomes Imo the best unit in endgame, because she has the best caps besides reavers.

Jill starts showing her true worth way before Endgame, but probably not until later Part 1.

Youre not using her well, lol. Jills easily a Top 5 candidate for best in the game. Some even consider her the best next to Haar.

Jill starts showing her true worth way before Endgame, but probably not until later Part 1.

Honestly I meant "best" of all playable beorcs.

I agree that a well leveled and invested Jill can own in part 3, also in 1-F with a forged axe.

Jill's problem is her earlygame. She has low base strength and "only" 45% strength growth.

But with average strength growth, forged axed and beastfoe she should be able to oneshot a cat.

I go even further to say that she's the best unit in the game.

Calling her "best in the game" is overselling it, IMHO.... For someone to be the best in the game they'd need to be good from the word go, which Jill... kinda isn't (without transfers, at least).

She's the best for me regarding on her caps, the fact she's flyable and she's the lifesaver pretty much for the DB.

Out of those, you gave me only one legit argument (flight), whereas the other two... aren't so much (especially caps, since yeah).

FE10 is a caps focused game though. It's end game relies on having capped stats, considering the bulk of the endgame enemies are close to their caps. It's late game plays out a lot like FE12.

Compare FE10's lategame to one of the GBA games and you'll see what I'm getting at. Caps don't matter in GBA games because the enemies consistently have low stats, but enemy stats are rather high in FE10 and so caps matter a lot more.

FE10 is a caps focused game though. It's end game relies on having capped stats, considering the bulk of the endgame enemies are close to their caps. It's late game plays out a lot like FE12.

Compare FE10's lategame to one of the GBA games and you'll see what I'm getting at. Caps don't matter in GBA games because the enemies consistently have low stats, but enemy stats are rather high in FE10 and so caps matter a lot more.

Even so, growths are relevant for much more of the game than caps are, not unlike every other FE game.

There aren't any characters except MUs/Avatars, Sigurd, and maybe Seth who are your best characters in every single chapter they're available. Jill doesn't start the best, but she ends the best and even in Part 1 when she joins, she has utility through being a flier and her stats are still decent, so it's not like she sucks. Her competition for best in the game are Haar and Ike, who are both around mostly in easier chapters where all your units are good. Haar isn't very good in the tower and Ike isn't mounted. You have royals for the tower, but the tower is easier with a larger amount of good units than a fewer amount of super-units.

Jill's the kind of character where, while her initial stats are mediocre, she has the highest resource payoff in the game (you can see this put to action pretty well in a speed run). If you give her a lot of your stat boosters and BEXP, she undisputably becomes the best up there with Haar. No other character gives this much payoff as she does. And due to how bases and BEXP works in this game, you can just dump your resources into her the chapter she joins, and she instantly becomes a slaughterhouse.

I think it's a bit silly to put so much value on caps in FE10. While yes, with BEXP, most character will be hitting all their important caps, they only really matter in the 4-E chapters, which is 5 chapters of a >40 chapter game. It's also a part of the game ruled by the royals. However, Jill (and Haar) can still contribute a lot in these chapters because laguz royals don't have 1-2 range access, and our two wyvern riders do (and they fly).

I think it's a bit silly to put so much value on caps in FE10. While yes, with BEXP, most character will be hitting all their important caps, they only really matter in the 4-E chapters, which is 5 chapters of a >40 chapter game. It's also a part of the game ruled by the royals.

Exactly why I called out MITP on putting emphasis on Jill's caps.

There aren't any characters except MUs/Avatars, Sigurd, and maybe Seth who are your best characters in every single chapter they're available. Jill doesn't start the best, but she ends the best and even in Part 1 when she joins, she has utility through being a flier and her stats are still decent, so it's not like she sucks. Her competition for best in the game are Haar and Ike, who are both around mostly in easier chapters where all your units are good. Haar isn't very good in the tower and Ike isn't mounted. You have royals for the tower, but the tower is easier with a larger amount of good units than a fewer amount of super-units.

True. In fact, I agree with pretty much everything you said. That said, I still think Haar's better just by virtue of being more immediately useful and more survivable.

Just do what I do... Focus on leveling up.....pfft (yeah right)

Just hack it with Gecko os codes, more detailed :BASE EXP level her up to 15 or so and you"re Done

PS: I just read the first post

didnt bother to find out where the converse was going.

Edited by Ryu Hayabusa

I guess my Jill got RNG screwed then. Tauroneo was basically carrying my team in Part 3's Dawn Brigade chapters because of a shortage of ''good'' units there was like only 5 competent units including tauroneo,sothe(though he's starting to get weaker)Micaiah(Who isnt allowed to cross some line in the chapter I mentioned) and Volug(Who gets wonderful level ups for some reason,but he cant be everywhere at once.) Zihark (who gets murked by Tiger laguz anyways) Keep in mind that Im a casual player,so my teams in FE games may not be the best.

Laguz have pretty poor growths in general.

Transformed Volug is a great wall for the DB in part 3.

Furthermore he has earth affinity. Support him with Nolan, Zihark or Fiona and he'll become a dodgetank. In 3-13 you should give him Tauroneo's resolve, because the enemies have 15% higher hit / evasion, because they benefit from Ike's three authority stars.

Jill would be awesome in Micaiah's group in part 4 for the desert chapter.

Since she turned out very badly it's up to Naesala and Haar, I guess.

The peggies can do very well too with triangles, if you've trained them. Only beware of cross(bows).

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

yup, thats the thing in fire emblem, even supposed top tier gods will be trash if they slept on the wrong side of the bed.

Lord Percival and Lady Palla would like a word.

^ Experience for the corpse.

Seriously promoting Laura without using a masterseal until part 3 is pretty much impossible for me except I want to do a heal-grindfest.

Ironically it's easier to train her in higher difficulties, because in easy mode you don't need to heal.

In hard mode she still only reaches about level 10 in the end of part 1.

FE10 was the last FE part, healers got default experience.

Thankfully it changed after that with the degressive experience model.