Sakurai, do you smoke crack?

marth2600

...What?

Roy is no longer cloned from Marth, and Lucina was originally an alt that was made her own character because it was easy to just give her Marth's animation with different damage.

So yeah there's nothing wrong with it.

The fact that you're assuming Roy is just another Marth makes you silly.

Meanwhile, Lucina was literally originally an alternate outfit for Marth. If she wasn't made into her own character with slightly different stats (albeit I would have liked her to be more different.), people probably would have complained, saying Lucina should've been her own character. It is a lose-lose situation no matter how Lucina was included.

Edit: Meanwhile from my understanding, Corrin was not Sakurai's decision.

Edited by Nexas

Uh, Roy is at least a semi-clone. Not a total clone like Lucina, but he's not totally original like Ike, Robin, and Corrin. I never approved Roy's re-addition and I never will. I don't approve of Lucina being in the game either (and not simply because I don't like her). It's not just bias either, because I actually prefer Roy over Marth.

Still, saying "3 Marths" is an exaggeration and making a whole thread on it is kind of dumb.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, Corrin was literally Nintendo/IS going to Sakurai and saying "You remember how you put Roy in Melee to advertise Binding Blade to Japan, well now do the same thing, but with Corrin for the US".

3 Marths is very wrong, especially since Marth and Roy only share 3 specials and that's it, and every other move is completely different.

Lucina, as stated above, is an alt turned full character like Dark Pit and Doc Mario, and I'm okay with this, because I like Lucina.

Edited by MCProductions

A bit late to the party, aren't you? I mean, Roy was released all the way back in June 2015.

Anyway, they succeeded in making Roy even more diverse from Marth then he already was. And calling Lucina a separate fighter just because she occupies her own slot is giving her too much credit anyway. That's like if there was a slot for a character who plays exactly like Lucario, except his attacks don't get stronger when he takes damage.

Edit: Anyway, all of that is a moot point no matter how you look at it. Roy is a DLC character and Sakurai designed the DLC system in a way that respects the customer by making the game feel complete no matter what you buy. So as much as it makes me usually cringe when people cry "Don't like it, don't buy it", in this case it actually applies as far as I am concerned. Roy is only in your Smash game if you actually buy him. And the game uses no psychological tricks whatsoever in order to make you want him. If you do want him, it's because of the quality of the product itself.

Edited by BrightBow

I never approved Roy's re-addition and I never will.

I personally wanted Roy to return since the first game he's ever appeared in is SSBM, promotion purposes or not.

[spoiler=Thoughts on Corrin, minor Fates spoilers]

Meanwhile, the problem I have with Corrin being a promotional character is that his game is already out, even if it's just in Japan. Also, if you're going to promote a character, don't spoil their final weapon, that's just outright dumb design. Yes, they did it with Roy too, but his sword looks generic enough for a prince type character, that most people wouldn't really suspect a thing. Now people are going to play Fates being like "Where the fuck is my chainsaw sword?"

Of course, the other reason I'm annoyed is more of a personal reason, being that I'm just plain not hyped for Fates.

I personally wanted Roy to return since the first game he's ever appeared in is SSBM, promotion purposes or not.

[spoiler=Thoughts on Corrin, minor Fates spoilers]

Meanwhile, the problem I have with Corrin being a promotional character is that his game is already out, even if it's just in Japan. Also, if you're going to promote a character, don't spoil their final weapon, that's just outright dumb design. Yes, they did it with Roy too, but his sword looks generic enough for a prince type character, that most people wouldn't really suspect a thing. Now people are going to play Fates being like "Where the fuck is my chainsaw sword?"

Of course, the other reason I'm annoyed is more of a personal reason, being that I'm just plain not hyped for Fates.

maybe they could just assume that it's like Ike's Ragnell, and it comes later in the game?

[spoiler=We already have five Marths]VEBWKzS.jpg

Luigi is literally the only non-Marth.

Edited by Euklyd

[spoiler=We already have five Marths]VEBWKzS.jpg

Luigi is literally the only non-Marth.

What are you talking about, that's fifty five Marths!

And yeah Chrom being not there is just fine. I'd rather not have three FE13 characters.

Personally, now that Roy's decloned, We've got someone for every console FE's been on (Marth = NES/SNES/DS, Roy = GBA, Ike = GCN/Wii, Robin = 3DS) and I think having just those four works fine. Lucina can stick around if she wants because she took like no effort to make, though I'd rather her be a Jugdral/Magvel charcter (Seliph, Lief, or Eirika, specifically) since FE13 already has someone.

If we get a Magvel character, it'll probably be, and imo should be, Ephraim. He doesn't use a sword like the entire current FE Smash cast... And Smash doesn't even have a character that uses a lance/spear.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, Corrin was literally Nintendo/IS going to Sakurai and saying "You remember how you put Roy in Melee to advertise Binding Blade to Japan, well now do the same thing, but with Corrin for the US".

I take it that you have some sort of proof to back that statement up, right? It's just that I'd like to see it myself, instead of taking it as read from a third party such as yourself.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

If we get a Magvel character, it'll probably be, and imo should be, Ephraim. He doesn't use a sword like the entire current FE Smash cast... And Smash doesn't even have a character that uses a lance/spear.

The main reason I said Eirika, apart from personally liking her character more, is that in context of my statement she/Seliph/Lief would replace Lucina as a clone. Thus, they'd have to be reasonably able to be made by cloning, most likely of Marth. Ephraim wouldn't reasonably be able to be made as a clone because of the Lance.

I take it that you have some sort of proof to back that statement up, right? It's just that I'd like to see it myself, instead of taking it as read from a third party such as yourself.

On Marth & Roy: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Interviewer: As for the rationale behind wanting to add Marth, was it because you felt that out of Nintendo’s many franchises, Fire Emblem is one that should be included?

Sakurai: That is a big part of it, and in terms of character diversity I did want more variation in terms of sword-wielding characters. I thought in comparison to Link—who’s more of a strong, direct swordsman—someone with finesse, a swordsman who relied more on technique, would be a lot of fun. On top of that, when we narrowed the possibilities down to the popular franchises of the time, we felt some restrictions. So among the possibilities, Fire Emblem was a franchise boasting multiple popular titles, and I thought there was more than enough value in including a character from Fire Emblem. So, in the next installment, Super Smash Bros. Melee, I had decided to include Marth at the start. Then, while thinking about a potential clone character, Roy came up. His game was in development at the time, and so he was added.

On Corrin (to an extent): http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-inclusion-of-cloud-corrin-and-bayonetta-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter.

The main reason I said Eirika, apart from personally liking her character more, is that in context of my statement she/Seliph/Lief would replace Lucina as a clone. Thus, they'd have to be reasonably able to be made by cloning, most likely of Marth. Ephraim wouldn't reasonably be able to be made as a clone because of the Lance.

And the main reason I said Ephraim, apart from personally liking him way more, is that he'd be very unique because of the lance. I didn't say anything about clones. I'm also personally not a fan of clones. I'm a quality over quantity person.

Edited by Anacybele

And the main reason I said Ephraim, apart from personally liking him way more, is that he'd be very unique because of the lance. I didn't say anything about clones. I'm also personally not a fan of clones. I'm a quality over quantity person.

I did though.

Lucina can stick around if she wants because she took like no effort to make, though I'd rather her be a Jugdral/Magvel charcter (Seliph, Lief, or Eirika, specifically) since FE13 already has someone.

Ephraim would take far more effort if he were to replace Lucina. Eirika would not.

I did though.

And your point is?

Ephraim would take far more effort if he were to replace Lucina. Eirika would not.

So? The effort would be worth it. We'd get a different, unique, and more interesting character instead of yet another boring clone.

yet another boring clone.

this is just another incorrect opinion

i still fail to see what people saw in chrom that would be better than robin.

And your point is?

So? The effort would be worth it. We'd get a different, unique, and more interesting character instead of yet another boring clone.

To replace a character, it has to require the same amount of effort as the replaced character. Replacing Lucina with Ephraim is more work than replacing her with Eirika/Seliph/Lief as clones.

Lucina takes a clone slot. Ephraim would take a regular slot

this is just another incorrect opinion

lolwut? I'm not allowed to think clones are boring?

To replace a character, it has to require the same amount of effort as the replaced character.

Again, lolwut. There's no rule stating this. Stop pulling crap out of your arse. Seriously. Also, I don't believe in "slots" anyway. I believe this hypothetical scenario with Ephraim would be much like Ike and Roy in Brawl. Ike had priority because he was the newcomer and unique. Roy would only get in if there was time, but there wasn't. Ephraim would be the newcomer in this case, Lucina the one added if there's time, which there could very well not be.

Edited by Anacybele

the real question is why would they look to 2005 for a new FE character in 2021 or something

I mean c'mon now

that'd be like Pokemon getting Blaziken in Smash 5: timed as to where they'd be almost entirely irrelevant