To those who started/only played with Awakening...

Together We Ride

Well yeah, of course. If they're willing to pay for them or emulate them. Just I don't understand why people have a problem with emulating. Even if you feel bad about it, use it as a trial to see if you like the game and if so hunt down a copy and buy it yourself. If you don't own the systems fair enough I should say.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, of course. If they're willing to pay for them or emulate them. Just I don't understand why people have a problem with emulating. Even if you feel bad about it, use it as a trial to see if you like the game and if so hunt down a copy and buy it yourself.

That's pretty much what I do. I'm just saying I have seen people who either don't know emulating is an option, or flat out refuse to do so for whatever reason.

I fucking loathe all of you awakening casualsIn all honesty, I do think that it's a shame that a lot of people come to forums like these with no intention of playing the older titles and solely to talk about Awakening (and likely Fates), but it's expected. I would like them to at least attempt to play them, and if they don't like them, then it don't matter.

Went back and played older games, still prefer Awakening and to a much larger degree Fates.

What then? I haven't played FE1 or Gaiden but I've played at least an hour of every other game. I've beaten 7-11.

Hmmm i see. I do agree that Awakening's localization script is charming as hell. (i just wish they applied that to the world and narrative) My issues with Tellius' narrative are relatively small compared to that list. The issues i have are the how the big plot bomb reveals are handled. On closer inspection, Micaiah isnt that bad of a character. (and reminds me of a bit watered down version of Daenerys Targaryen) Radiant Dawn is also another game where you can jump through a lot of weird gameplay hoops and get narrative goodies out of. (although i only recommend doing that stuff on second playthrough, where you actually get the whole story, and on easier modes)

Micaiah has plenty of moments that make you roll your eyes, from her insane popularity to talking to gods to her super special powers, but Ike suffers from a lot of the same problems, which is why I'll never understand how people can hate on Robin and Chrom and then praise Ike in the same breath.

Still, unlike in other games with Mary Sues or characters with far too many Mary Sue tendencies like Fates and Dual Destinies, Micaiah is at least called out on some of her choices.

However, I'm not going to try to change your mind about something, obviously. Everyone has different opinions and that's fine, I just don't understand where the massive hate against Awakening comes from since the series' stories were never good, and the writing actually jumped in quality in Awakening. I guess it's inevitable, since Fire Emblem was much more of a niche series until Awakening, and to some, opening the flood gates to "filthy casual" is just unacceptable. Again, Shin Megami Tensei has the same problem with Persona.

Micaiah has plenty of moments that make you roll your eyes, from her insane popularity to talking to gods to her super special powers, but Ike suffers from a lot of the same problems, which is why I'll never understand how people can hate on Robin and Chrom and then praise Ike in the same breath.

Because Ike actually made mistakes in PoR and nearly suffered many defeats, his brash attitude almost got his sister killed early on, if Shinon didn't show up, as well as a number of other occasions. Chrom makes mistakes, but they never cost him anything, unlike say Sigurd or Leif who have to struggle through their plots till the end, Robin meanwhile has some cool moments, isn't what I'd call a sue until like say the plot starts focusing on them, the final arc, they become way too important out of nowhere.

I'd also say Tellius, Magvel and Jugdral are probably the strongest in terms of lore/storytelling etc, and while Elibe is simple it actually works, Awakening is just a total mess in the narrative, maybe if it had actually gone with a plotpoint introduced in Mystery of the Emblem (You know the game that its actually partly tied to) with how the Dark Dragons work, we'd have had a more cool plot with it connecting to Marths stuff. Instead of ripping off the Cell Arc from Dragon Ball Z, and other odd choices.

But as it stands, Awakening is the weakest outside of Gaiden in terms of story/lore or anything. (That i've played). Like FE stories overall aren't the best, but they are far from the worst I've seen.

Because Ike actually made mistakes in PoR and nearly suffered many defeats, his brash attitude almost got his sister killed early on, if Shinon didn't show up, as well as a number of other occasions. Chrom makes mistakes, but they never cost him anything, unlike say Sigurd or Leif who have to struggle through their plots till the end, Robin meanwhile has some cool moments, isn't what I'd call a sue until like say the plot starts focusing on them, the final arc, they become way too important out of nowhere.

I'd also say Tellius, Magvel and Jugdral are probably the strongest in terms of lore/storytelling etc, and while Elibe is simple it actually works, Awakening is just a total mess in the narrative, maybe if it had actually gone with a plotpoint introduced in Mystery of the Emblem (You know the game that its actually partly tied to) with how the Dark Dragons work, we'd have had a more cool plot with it connecting to Marths stuff. Instead of ripping off the Cell Arc from Dragon Ball Z, and other odd choices.

But as it stands, Awakening is the weakest outside of Gaiden in terms of story/lore or anything. (That i've played). Like FE stories overall aren't the best, but they are far from the worst I've seen.

He does blame himself for Emmeryn's death though which was partially his fault for letting her go, but then again, it was her stupid decision to do so, so I can definitely see why that isn't enough. And sadly, like I said earlier here, I haven't played the non-localized games so I can't comment, but I've heard a lot of good things about Genealogy of the Holy War.

As for Ike, while it's true what you say, is almost constantly praised for his brash attitude almost as if the game is telling you "see this, kids? This guy is the shit". I also can't get over how bad his ending is, leaving everyone and everything behind (a tired trope in and of itself), but also abandoning his sister for no reason despite claiming he never would.

I guess I'll see what everyone has to say a few week after they're done with Fates; that's going to be incredibly interesting given my opinions of the game's narrative.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the worse stories you've seen? The serious contenders for Fates aside from FE7 is Other M and Dual Destinies for me. I'd count the Sonic games, but they're about a mutant blue hedgehog running fast, so I feel like it'd be cheating.

Edited by Thane

Out of curiosity, what are some of the worse stories you've seen? The serious contenders for Fates aside from FE7 is Other M and Dual Destinies for me. I'd count the Sonic games, but they're about a mutant blue hedgehog running fast, so I feel like it'd be cheating.

While it's definetly not even close to the worst plot in videogames (It's just one of the worst that i've played), Fallout 3's idea of Good and Evil are... somewhat shallow.

Edited by OakTree

Awakening didn't really rip off the Cell saga considering "future child goes back in time to save parent or avert bad future" isn't that uncommon of a plot. Space Quest IV had it too and it predates the Cell saga in the Dragonball manga.

Edited by angienessyo

As for Ike, while it's true what you say, is almost constantly praised for his brash attitude almost as if the game is telling you "see this, kids? This guy is the shit". I also can't get over how bad his ending is, leaving everyone and everything behind (a tired trope in and of itself), but also abandoning his sister for no reason despite claiming he never would.

Hey, I hate Ike's ending too, for the same reason you do, pretty much. But that doesn't make me hate him or his games. I still love him to death and love PoR and RD to death. :P

Also, I don't remember Ike being praised for his mistakes. Greil planned to hand out punishment to him for the bandit kidnapping scenario. When he got pissy with Sanaki, the senators blew up at him and later on, Soren and Titania pointed out his bad behavior to him. And so on.

Edited by Anacybele

While it's definetly not even close to the worst plot in videogames (It's just one of the worst that i've played), Fallout 3's idea of Good and Evil are... somewhat shallow.

never mind the whole "we all wanna turn on the water purifier so lets go to war over it" thing.

and ofcourse without broken steel, you can't send in another person to do it.

I started with Awakening, then played the GBA titles and I'm currently playing Shadow Dragon.

I've liked all of them, but for different reasons. Awakening put so much emphasis on how all your units are individuals, it made me want to learn how to play better and more carefully so I could keep them alive. The game has so many little conveniences I enjoy, but the maps are pretty boring. I liked how Sacred Stones has a smaller cast and I think the game looks simply lovely. I really liked battling against the monsters in that game. Blazing Sword's three lords were compelling to follow and Binding Blade was a nice challenge, although this is where I got sick and tired with unlocking the supports and therefore didn't learn much about the characters. Shadow Dragon is quite good, not the prettiest game but it's fun to play.

The stories haven't really interested me. I always stop caring about Awakening's story around the halfway point, but it's entertaining enough. I guess that's what I can say about other games too. I have to admit though, I'm not a big story person. As long as there are small moments and characters to care about, I'm satisfied.

I like how this series has varying and vibrant art styles (seeing Kozaki's art for Awakening was what urged me look up info about the game and he's still my favorite, but Fire Emblem has had so many lovely art styles!), the music is superb and the games just look really nice... And the gameplay is so much fun, which surprised me since this genre was so unfamiliar to me. I guess I'll always like a Fire Emblem game as long as it's fun to play. Fun is good. Fates looks like it will be a lot of fun, but so do some of the older games I haven't yet played...

He does blame himself for Emmeryn's death though which was partially his fault for letting her go, but then again, it was her stupid decision to do so, so I can definitely see why that isn't enough. And sadly, like I said earlier here, I haven't played the non-localized games so I can't comment, but I've heard a lot of good things about Genealogy of the Holy War.

As for Ike, while it's true what you say, is almost constantly praised for his brash attitude almost as if the game is telling you "see this, kids? This guy is the shit". I also can't get over how bad his ending is, leaving everyone and everything behind (a tired trope in and of itself), but also abandoning his sister for no reason despite claiming he never would..

But it doesn't change Chrom as a character and as soon as Gangrel is dealt with he doesn't really focus on her ever again, shes nonexistant from his character as a whole. He doesn't struggle with anything in the game whatsoever after he avenges her death.

Ike nearly gets merc'd by the laguz as well, if his father hadn't been in the Beast Kingdom when he was born, Ike's "subhuman line" would have probably screwed him out of getting any help whatsoever. Its through other people that Ike succeeds, not his own actions until he eventually starts going back to Crimea where he has learned through all of his mistakes over the course of the game. He loses several times to the Black Knight through said Brash attitude.

Worst stories I've seen? Certainly not Fe7 for sure. But lets see, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, The last arc of one of my favorite RPGs of all time Star Ocean Till the End of Time, Pretty much anything bioware has done since the first Dragon Age (there are exceptions but... What happened). Kingdom Hearts is getting super messy too.

Edited by Jedi

Worst game story? I hand that to Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.

I also look at Xenosaga. Xenogears and Xenoblade (havent played X yet) are brilliant narratives (especially Xenogears), but the Xenosaga trilogy is just ass on a cracker because of how sloppy it got during the second installment.

But it doesn't change Chrom as a character and as soon as Gangrel is dealt with he doesn't really focus on her ever again, shes nonexistant from his character as a whole. He doesn't struggle with anything in the game whatsoever after he avenges her death.

This is almost correct. Chrom keeps Emmeryn in mind when hes doing junk in Valm, but with how the game brings it up, its almost useless and why bother. Because Chrom is literally doing the exact opposite of what Emmeryn wanted. Emm was all about pacifism and uniting through peace. Chrom goes in and roflstomps Valm and Walhart while many casualties pile up. (including Say'ri's brother.) The way the game frames this, it makes me wonder if Walhart and Gangrel had the right idea. I also find Emmeryn disgusting for a lot of reasons and this is a massive failing on Awakening's part. We are supposed to think her noble and in the right. We are supposed to think her martyrdom is the correct course of action. But you know what actually is? Its Emmeryn basically giving up and not growing from her experiences as a ruler. Other characters in other FE games have actually been chastised for the same actions as Emmeryn gets praised for. In Radiant Dawn, this is the entire point of Part 2 with Elincia. She tries to resolve civil conflict through the actions of others and trying not to "harm" the people. Plus the uprising there was because of her supposed inaction with Daein's reformation, and her alliance with Gallia. Because Elincia grew a pair, (and some cunning on Bastian's part in the end) she was able to stave off a full scale civil war. Emmeryn just flung herself off a cliff and nothing was resolved. Great storytelling. :/

Worst game story? I hand that to Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.

I also look at Xenosaga. Xenogears and Xenoblade (havent played X yet) are brilliant narratives (especially Xenogears), but the Xenosaga trilogy is just ass on a cracker because of how sloppy it got during the second installment.

This is almost correct. Chrom keeps Emmeryn in mind when hes doing junk in Valm, but with how the game brings it up, its almost useless and why bother. Because Chrom is literally doing the exact opposite of what Emmeryn wanted. Emm was all about pacifism and uniting through peace. Chrom goes in and roflstomps Valm and Walhart while many casualties pile up. (including Say'ri's brother.) The way the game frames this, it makes me wonder if Walhart and Gangrel had the right idea. I also find Emmeryn disgusting for a lot of reasons and this is a massive failing on Awakening's part. We are supposed to think her noble and in the right. We are supposed to think her martyrdom is the correct course of action. But you know what actually is? Its Emmeryn basically giving up and not growing from her experiences as a ruler. Other characters in other FE games have actually been chastised for the same actions as Emmeryn gets praised for. In Radiant Dawn, this is the entire point of Part 2 with Elincia. She tries to resolve civil conflict through the actions of others and trying not to "harm" the people. Plus the uprising there was because of her supposed inaction with Daein's reformation, and her alliance with Gallia. Because Elincia grew a pair, (and some cunning on Bastian's part in the end) she was able to stave off a full scale civil war. Emmeryn just flung herself off a cliff and nothing was resolved. Great storytelling. :/

What I find funny as heck is that Walhart LITERALLY calls Chrom out on this. I believe his exact words are "She spouted some nonsense and leapt off a rock". Heck, Gangrel says that he and Chrom are very similar, so I wonder what the writers were trying to tell us about dear old Chrom in the first two arcs. I guess he really is his father's son. Granted, I like Awakening's story for FE standards, even if I don't consider it good compared to games I actually play for plot in terms of storyline.

Well, Thane, I'll speak for myself now: while I love some FE stories even if they are far from perfect, I mostly play FE for the gameplay, therefore even if the story is crap (like FE7, where I mostly enjoy the characters and go "lolwut" at the cutscenes, even if I like the writing translated by Alexander O Smith), I enjoy it overall, I care for my units because they either are likable enough or strong pillars of my team, I get touched by certain events even if they are babby tier emotional writing, et cetera., because it's not my main focus and it's a very good dessert for the main course.

For example, FE6 is very bland, with short cutscenes and an unimpressive main character, but over all, it explains almost everything, everything works alright, nothing is particularly off, the gameplay is awesome (for me), so in the end I am satisfied with it, and I still like Allen and Lance even if they are literally "We will protect Roy cuz we are loyal Royal Guards", or Clarine even if she is just a snob princess, or Saul even if he just your typical idiot perv, etc., because first it doesn't feel pretentious, second the gameplay puts my units in such stakes I end up caring about them regardless.

What I said pretty much works for all of the FE games whose plot I like, with of course their own issues and problems and strenghts. It has always been good enough (sometimes better, like Tellius, which for me has the best stories; plus Jugdral is an exception to all things I just said, it probably needs its own post), regardless of the actual quality. Also because the games never were too exaggerate, they never felt like they overdid it. It all worked and tied up things well for the gameplay.

But Awakening for me was so bad I could not excuse it. It's one of the worst plots I have ever read in my life, surpassed only by Other M.

The reason why is because of the three arcs very loosely and badly linked together, and because some of the events really insulted my intelligence, more than some of FE7's, more than Blood Pacts, more than Ashnard's "lol I'm mad".

The witty suger coated false-epic writing only made things worse. It all feels like a string of dumb events one after another... plus every FE had a bit of basic world building once, Awakening lacks even that and it always feels like units are always ready for dumb anime banter ever between terrible wars. It doesn't feel like the wars in Awakening are terrible at all. And Chrom, and Frederick, and Emmeryn, and Validar, and Gangrel, and the player worship, oh God.

What ruins it all is how much it overdoes it, it puts so much pathos on shit shonen-tier things,

The best part about Awakening's plot was the story DLC "Future of Despair" whatsitsname, "Futuro Anteriore" in Italian. It felt like an actual story with stakes, with serious characters, with better threats, etc, not a bunch of bad little episodes that are supposed to be all part of the same story.

I think all of that is not forgivable and while in other FEs I don't tend to skip the story, with Awakening, I always skip it; it's so bad it's a hindrance.

A game that gave me a similar feeling but much worse was Yakuza 2: a sound game, a perfect sequel gameplay-wise, but the story not only was over the top anime tier (more than the first, even!), it denied everything the first game talked about. Therefore it ruined the whole experience.

ps: regardless of everything I just said, I still value plots in story driven RPGs and JRPGs a lot. In fact, I am extremely critical of bad JRPG stories.

pps: Loki Laufeyson, Xenogears is AWESOME!!!!!!!

--

I am proud of all of you guys who played the older games. I have nothing against newer fans that won't play them or dislike them, but I surely do dislike the ones that talk shit about them and say crap like older games are not relevant... and who knows if they are trolling or not. Youtube is usually pretty serious in its dumbness, and I have received a lot of flak for being against Awakening or Fates (when I was polite and I did not attack fans), got called an elitist, heard shit like "It sucks because I can't marry Lyn!" and so on.

But I feel like Franky will now reprimend me for believing in shitposting. Ouch.

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

What I find funny as heck is that Walhart LITERALLY calls Chrom out on this. I believe his exact words are "She spouted some nonsense and leapt off a rock". Heck, Gangrel says that he and Chrom are very similar, so I wonder what the writers were trying to tell us about dear old Chrom in the first two arcs. I guess he really is his father's son. Granted, I like Awakening's story for FE standards, even if I don't consider it good compared to games I actually play for plot in terms of storyline.

RIGHT? In fact, when i really paid attention to Walhart's speech to Chrom, thats when i decided i liked him. In fact, its the same exact reason why i really love Gangrel. Even though their motives were very basic and actually kinda dumb because of how they are never really expounded on. Those two at least tried to call a spade a spade.

Well, Thane, I'll speak for myself now: while I love some FE stories even if they are far from perfect, I mostly play FE for the gameplay, therefore even if the story is crap (like FE7, where I mostly enjoy the characters and go "lolwut" at the cutscenes, even if I like the writing translated by Alexander O Smith), I enjoy it overall, I care for my units because they either are likable enough or strong pillars of my team, I get touched by certain events even if they are babby tier emotional writing, et cetera., because it's not my main focus and it's a very good dessert for the main course.

For example, FE6 is very bland, with short cutscenes and an unimpressive main character, but over all, it explains almost everything, everything works alright, nothing is particularly off, the gameplay is awesome (for me), so in the end I am satisfied with it, and I still like Allen and Lance even if they are literally "We will protect Roy cuz we are loyal Royal Guards", or Clarine even if she is just a snob princess, or Saul even if he just your typical idiot perv, etc., because first it doesn't feel pretentious, second the gameplay puts my units in such stakes I end up caring about them regardless.

What I said pretty much works for all of the FE games whose plot I like, with of course their own issues and problems and strenghts. It has always been good enough (sometimes better, like Tellius, which for me has the best stories; plus Jugdral is an exception to all things I just said, it probably needs its own post), regardless of the actual quality. Also because the games never were too exaggerate, they never felt like they overdid it. It all worked and tied up things well for the gameplay.

But Awakening for me was so bad I could not excuse it. It's one of the worst plots I have ever read in my life, surpassed only by Other M.

The reason why is because of the three arcs very loosely and badly linked together, and because some of the events really insulted my intelligence, more than some of FE7's, more than Blood Pacts, more than Ashnard's "lol I'm mad".

The witty suger coated false-epic writing only made things worse. It all feels like a string of dumb events one after another... plus every FE had a bit of basic world building once, Awakening lacks even that and it always feels like units are always ready for dumb anime banter ever between terrible wars. It doesn't feel like the wars in Awakening are terrible at all. And Chrom, and Frederick, and Emmeryn, and Validar, and Gangrel, and the player worship, oh God.

What ruins it all is how much it overdoes it, it puts so much pathos on shit shonen-tier things,

The best part about Awakening's plot was the story DLC "Future of Despair" whatsitsname, "Futuro Anteriore" in Italian. It felt like an actual story with stakes, with serious characters, with better threats, etc, not a bunch of bad little episodes that are supposed to be all part of the same story.

I think all of that is not forgivable and while in other FEs I don't tend to skip the story, with Awakening, I always skip it; it's so bad it's a hindrance.

A game that gave me a similar feeling but much worse was Yakuza 2: a sound game, a perfect sequel gameplay-wise, but the story not only was over the top anime tier (more than the first, even!), it denied everything the first game talked about. Therefore it ruined the whole experience.

ps: regardless of everything I just said, I still value plots in story driven RPGs and JRPGs a lot. In fact, I am extremely critical of bad JRPG stories.

pps: Loki Laufeyson, Xenogears is AWESOME!!!!!!!

--

I am proud of all of you guys who played the older games. I have nothing against newer fans that won't play them or dislike them, but I surely do dislike the ones that talk shit about them and say crap like older games are not relevant... and who knows if they are trolling or not. Youtube is usually pretty serious in its dumbness, and I have received a lot of flak for being against Awakening or Fates (when I was polite and I did not attack fans), got called an elitist, heard shit like "It sucks because I can't marry Lyn!" and so on.

But I feel like Franky will now reprimend me for believing in shitposting. Ouch.

All of this, tbh. Except the part about the faux-epic writing, because i really liked how things came off with the text and tone of it. They used a lot of great medieval-isms that i mostly found in George RR Martin stories. When playing Awakening, and i pay attention to the story, i always feel like im on the wrong team. My MU just wants to walk off. (i symbolize this with marrying characters like Aversa, Gangrel, and Walhart.)

Xenogears is the bee's tits, alright. That game SCREAMS for a remake. It needs it so badly, and i wait for the day.....

I don't know, the writing in Awakening never bothered me. (even if it has a bunch of problems) I still consider it to be one of my favorite games ever, flaws and all. I appreciated the lighter tone. But I imagine part of why I really love Awakening is because the game lets me really get to know the characters, so I favor that over the story itself. Having played RPGs and such since I was about 7 years old, it's really been there done that on games that all take themselves really seriously. I totally understand why people would be against all the fluff, but as I've gotten older I've come to really appreciate moments in games that make me giggle or go "awwww!". (with all the little stresses in my life, I like games to make me feel feelings)

The lack of humor/fluff/character interaction in the older games hasn't bothered me, but I definitely haven't gotten as attached to the characters. I couldn't tell you most of the characters' names in the games I've played unless they were a main character or had something super memorable about them. I don't see that as a flaw, I know a lot of people play Fire Emblem and are only focused on the gameplay or general story. But I personally like getting to know the characters, which is why I've leaned more towards the newer entries in the series.

--

Don't worry, I've seen the eliteists, and you DEFINITELY not among them. You may dislike Awakening and Fates, but you don't say they "ruined" or "killed" the series, you just hope for something you like better next time. The Eliteists I've seen and encountered are VERY bad. To the point that they won't ever accept people like me who started with Awakening but played the older games, and I'm somehow still an "Autistic loser who only cares about his waifu". These people are pretty much the reason I stick to Serenes for FE discussions. Considering I actually do have Autism, specifically Aspergers, but that is part of the spectrum, these perticuler eliteists managed to offend me on multiple levels

I haven't been impressed by Fire Emblem stories in any of the games, so I just consider it a non-factor tbh. In fact, some of them deserve to be picked apart for being below average, but somewhere along the line I realize I don't give a shit because it's Fire Emblem and it keeps on doing.

Edited by Tryhard

Don't worry, I've seen the eliteists, and you DEFINITELY not among them. You may dislike Awakening and Fates, but you don't say they "ruined" or "killed" the series, you just hope for something you like better next time. The Eliteists I've seen and encountered are VERY bad. To the point that they won't ever accept people like me who started with Awakening but played the older games, and I'm somehow still an "Autistic loser who only cares about his waifu". These people are pretty much the reason I stick to Serenes for FE discussions. Considering I actually do have Autism, specifically Aspergers, but that is part of the spectrum, these perticuler eliteists managed to offend me on multiple levels

You've had people actually say that shit to you? Good gods, man, im really sorry thats happened. Thats really dickish and i really wish the fandom wouldnt resort to such nastiness. Ive encountered some really foul stuff being said to me and to others about the new game. Its so unfortunate people get that gross. /pat

You've had people actually say that shit to you? Good gods, man, im really sorry thats happened. Thats really dickish and i really wish the fandom wouldnt resort to such nastiness. Ive encountered some really foul stuff being said to me and to others about the new game. Its so unfortunate people get that gross. /pat

Unfortunately yes, but thankfully SF is very good about keeping discussions tame, so this is my kind of forum.

The lack of humor/fluff/character interaction in the older games hasn't bothered me, but I definitely haven't gotten as attached to the characters. I couldn't tell you most of the characters' names in the games I've played unless they were a main character or had something super memorable about them. I don't see that as a flaw, I know a lot of people play Fire Emblem and are only focused on the gameplay or general story. But I personally like getting to know the characters, which is why I've leaned more towards the newer entries in the series.

Odd, one of the main reasons why I prefer the older titles to Awakening is because I felt they did a much better job with character interaction (excluding the ones without supports), but I'll admit that Awakening was certainly more into the fluffy humor.

Now that I think about it, something that all FE titles suffer from is that lack of character interaction across the cast within the story. Granted, this is probably unavoidable just given how large the casts are... although surprisingly enough, I think Radiant Dawn did that best job at that. If only their supports were as good as it's predecessor...

Edited by Together We Ride

I think this is the reason why Awakening might still be my favorite FE. I like having an opinion of every unit I have, and the game makes sure the characters express themselves constantly. I found that pretty enjoyable and it definitely made me care about them even more. I remember this one time when I was playing Blazing Sword and during unit selection I saw a name I couldn't recognize. I had no idea who he was, when he joined or what was his deal. It was such a shame! I suppose I could get to know him when I play the game again...

Sacred Stones is my other favorite, since the cast was a bit smaller and I made sure to unlock as many supports as I could (gods they were tedious to get...). The cast felt pretty memorable too, but I'm not sure if that was because of the supports or not.

Character interactions aren't the only things I enjoy about Fire Emblem, but I do like them a lot when they are available.