Let's struggle with Pokemon Leaf Green

nyanza

Well, I haven't played vanilla Leaf green/Fire red in a long time and I wanted to lp something so I guess it's decided.

It's not like I've mastered the game so I won't be doing any hardcore challenges but at least to make things more interesting I would like you to give me an average team to beat the game with. Here's how it will go. I will take the first 6 suggested pokemon with different type. If there's two of the same type, I will just take the 7th one instead. Don't make me use things like Kakuna and Magikarp though. Also, if most of the team is available later in the game, I will use some other pokemon in their place 'till I get them.

Blastoise, Pidgeot, Butterfree, Pikachu, Dugtrio, and Nidoking. You should have the bases for all your Pokemon before Mt.Moon, shouldn't be too hard to beat the game with (though you can beat the game with just your starter if you focus-train them), but they're also not "great" Pokemon to make it too easy either. Since you can get them all fairly early you have to train them all and can't rely on catching one at higher levels to skip ahead and get a usable Pokemon with no work. It's actually a fairly balanced team I mean it has issues against Ice, but Blastoise has that covered resisting it and all if need be, but move choice can let Pikachu cover it and while weak Nidoking and Dugtrio can use Rock Attacks. With this team there is also built in Cut, Surf, Fly, Strength, Dig (for convenience), and Flash so all your basics are covered.

Edited by Dwlr

My idea was to get 1 suggestion from a person but that'll take too long anyways.

If i take Pidgeot and Ninetales from the upper posts and add Electrode, Tentacruel, Muk and Primeape, can we count it as an average team? I mean, they're not bad pokemon but are generally underused because of far superior ones from the same type as them. Maybe Primeape is from the top tier fighting pokemon in LG/FR but in my opinion all of them are pretty even in terms of usefulness and I just selected him because of his early availability.

I guess anything below that will be using the likes of Beedrill, Persian and Onix which would cause me too much anal discomfort.

Maybe you could try Sandshrew or Clefable(this might depend on your luck on mt moon though...)

Parasect could replace muk, that way Sabrina doesn't cause too much trouble if your going with tentacruel, muk and primape.

Hypno is kind of average...(I always forget about him lol)

My idea was to get 1 suggestion from a person but that'll take too long anyways.

If i take Pidgeot and Ninetales from the upper posts and add Electrode, Tentacruel, Muk and Primeape, can we count it as an average team? I mean, they're not bad pokemon but are generally underused because of far superior ones from the same type as them. Maybe Primeape is from the top tier fighting pokemon in LG/FR but in my opinion all of them are pretty even in terms of usefulness and I just selected him because of his early availability.

I guess anything below that will be using the likes of Beedrill, Persian and Onix which would cause me too much anal discomfort.

Since only damage matters in-game Muk is quite good. Electrode gets fair use or rather did as a lead so I wouldn't call him underused comparatively. There's nothing terrible about Tentacruel in his tier either. Golem gets no use due to his typing, use him in your team. Butterfree is actually decent with Compound Eyes and access to the Powders though the Powders are a waste in-game. You could always go Mr. Mime, you get one early from trades and you don't see him to often with the better options even in his tier. Lightball Pikachu > Electrode IMO, gets less use (at least the generic one does, Cosplay Pika gets more use) and works much better in game than Electrode thanks to much higher attacking stats

You could always do a team with all the Pokemon that come with unique (or Semi-unique) items, you know you want to use Farfetch'd with his almighty Stick.

Farfetch'd @ Stick

Muk @ Black Sludge

Pikachu @ Lightball

Marowak @ Thick Bone

Ditto @ Metal Powder

Chansey @ Lucky Punch

I will use the already selected team and if it turns out too easy, for the next lp of r/e/s which I plan doing I will take something shittier.

Let's start.

[spoiler=Part 1 - The usual stuff and first two members of our team. That was fast edition]

Let's start.

We, of course, we'll be a lovely young lady.

14uu8tl.jpg

The starter I selected was Charmander. Like I said, I may have to use it for a bit and the other two would make the first two gyms too easy. We beat our rival and did some of the old guy's dirty work. Then he gave us his old pokeballs and we caught our first two comrades - Pidgey and Mankey. They have Rash and Sassy natures respectively which is not the best I could hope for but I won't be catching more for better stats/natures. If my luck decides to fuck me up, so be it.

2ymhurs.jpg

I also got Ratatatatata and Spearow for the pokedex.

For now we'll leave our rival alone and will got to the next city through the Viridian forest. Meanwhile, he'll just wait for us in the fucking bushes, I guess.

And I actually have always wanted to use Poliwhirl. May happen.

[spoiler=Part 2 - Brock is rock hard]

We went through Viridian's forest and on our way we beat some trainers for exp and also caught Weedle, Caterpie, Pikachu and Metapod. I didn't bother to wait for Kakuna to show up though. That way Pidgey and Mankey gained some levels and we went back to beat our rival. He always has his starter and Pidgey in that battle and they always have only their normal attacks so the outcome was pretty obvious.

Then we finally went to the first gym where we had to deal with rock type enemies.

15poa2p.jpg

And that guy wants her on top. Sir, that girl's like 12. Chris Hansen would like to have a word with you, why don't you have a seat right over there?

ie1ba0.jpg

Oh, you too.

hu3915.png

Your rock-hard willpower? Let me guess what else of yours is hard...

5catf6.png

...That's right! Your pokemon!

Anyways, Mankey didn't have difficulties beating his Onyx and Geodude after he learned his first fighting moves so we got all of Brock's money and are going ahead.

qwyaf4.png

Some weirdo stopped us though. Apparently, he wanted to give us running shoes which our mom sent. Yeah, so he traveled to this town and decided to wait for us right on that spot.

t6uhw7.png

Those are just some of the trainers that we'll face next time.

Here are our pokemon right now:

28bs1mv.png

(Here's the part where I found out I forgot to heal Mankey after the fight with Brock so I guess we'll be returning to the pokemon center first)

[spoiler=Part 2 - Brock is rock hard]

We went through Viridian's forest and on our way we beat some trainers for exp and also caught Weedle, Caterpie, Pikachu and Metapod. I didn't bother to wait for Kakuna to show up though. That way Pidgey and Mankey gained some levels and we went back to beat our rival. He always has his starter and Pidgey in that battle and they always have only their normal attacks so the outcome was pretty obvious.

Then we finally went to the first gym where we had to deal with rock type enemies.

15poa2p.jpg

And that guy wants her on top. Sir, that girl's like 12. Chris Hansen would like to have a word with you, why don't you have a seat right over there?

ie1ba0.jpg

Oh, you too.

hu3915.png

Your rock-hard willpower? Let me guess what else of yours is hard...

5catf6.png

...That's right! Your pokemon!

Anyways, Mankey didn't have difficulties beating his Onyx and Geodude after he learned his first fighting moves so we got all of Brock's money and are going ahead.

qwyaf4.png

Some weirdo stopped us though. Apparently, he wanted to give us running shoes which our mom sent. Yeah, so he traveled to this town and decided to wait for us right on that spot.

t6uhw7.png

Those are just some of the trainers that we'll face next time.

Here are our pokemon right now:

28bs1mv.png

(Here's the part where I found out I forgot to heal Mankey after the fight with Brock so I guess we'll be returning to the pokemon center first)

Haha, no one's hotter than Brock, whose eye's sparkle like diamonds! The dialogue was more charged than I remember xD

I hope the playthrough goes well for you!

[spoiler=Part 3 - Mt. Moon]

So we beat all the trainers on the way and got to the mt. Moon's entrance.

wqvrlx.jpg

But before we entered it, I had other job to do. I couldn't afford repels before but now I'm rich after all the battles on the way here. So we went back and bought some of those.

Also, we caught a female Nidoran.

eq8me1.png

And a Jigglypuff too.

2quungg.png

And in the cave itself we caught Geodude, Paras and Zubat, the last of which I forgot to take a screenshot of.

o9qwlg.png

33cb0y1.png

Then we went to the lower level and found this guy.

301oox0.png

We beat him with no effort and took the item in the pokeball which I don't remember what was and also the one hidden in the rock which was an ether.

2ykksgz.png

Then we got a moon stone from a pokeball. It's actually rare and I don't think you can buy it in the shops.

2enu5hj.png

And almost at the end of the cave, where the fossils are, you can get another one hidden in the rock. So you could evolve both Nidoran and Clefairy immediately if you wanted to.

fdrsdd.jpg

Also there's some tough guy that's like "Everything is for the stronger, gtfo" and after you beat him he's like "We are all brothers, let's split it in half, Amen". Come on Mankey, just kick his whiny ass already.

Anyways, I got that fossil. I don't remember which one what pokemon was. I won't be using it though, that's for sure.

2chkti9.jpg

We got outside the tunnel and finally got to Cerulean city.

2drdt13.png

I quickly ran to the pmarket and bought some pokeballs so I can catch Sandshrew in the grass right outside the city.

2ywshoi.png

Oh, and THAT bike shop.

2cz2047.png

Yeah, try to sell a fucking bike to a kid for a fucking million. Way to go, Paul.

That "Nigga stole my bike" song would sound really harsh in the pokemon world, you know?

And we got to some old man's house that gave us some item that I will probably never use.

x3bku9.png

And now we have some things to do. We could go battle our rival and the other guys at the bridge or just go straight for the gym. I think it would be wiser to do the first as at the moment I have a fighting type, a fire type and Pidgey so I probably won't do too well against Misty. With a bit of training though, thing might work out.

20zeiiq.png

Also, how is the image size? I just use the original resolution. Are they too small?

Edited by nyanza

[spoiler=Part 4 - Preparations for the second gym]

Pidgey was one level away from becoming Pidgeotto so I decided to train it a bit and make it tougher and cooler.

2nu6gxe.png

2hpltmd.png

So we headed towards the bridge and guess who was there? Yes, the same fucker that's basically everywhere in the game.

2q8y5jk.png

And that's actually the first battle against him that could be troublesome for you depending on what pokemon you have available. He has a 17lv Pidgeotto (cheater), about the same level Wartortle and Ratatatata (good that he didn't cheat for Raticate too) and 16lv Abra that knows only teleport so if you fail against it, you know there's something wrong with your strategy.

I had 18lv Pidgeotto, 17lv Mankey and 12lv Charmander which is usually just about enough. He always starts with his Pidgeotto so I threw Charmander in the battle with hope that he'll burn him and cut down his physical damage. Didn't work out but at least he landed two hits which had him at about 70% health and my Pidgeotto finished the job with two quick attacks. Then I sent Mankey against Wartortle and two karate chops had him down. He didn't even get a chance to attack, he used screech or something on his turn. One karate chop was enough for Ratatatata too. And then we somehow won the furious battle against Abra. He almost destroyed us with his teleport ability, I tell you.

After the battle he smelled us as usual and ran away. Or so we thought...

2vczvwz.png

He was like "you're so worthless so I'll give you that". Adorable. Tsun tsun~~

So this bridge is famous with it's team of 5 unbeatable guys or something. Come on, you guys know you're failures when two kids just come and beat you all for like 10 minutes.

And when you get to the last guy, you get the prize. It's a nugget that you can sell for a lot of money.

2ql5rvd.png

But here's a thing. The dude actually gives you the prize while you talk to him before the actual fight. So if you lose you just go there, get the same dialogue and get the thing again. And you become rich. Don't know if that was for the US version or the Japanese one though. Forgot to try it and already saved after it.

Here in the grass besides the bridge you could catch an Abra. It's one of the best Psychic tipes but only knows teleport at that point and is a bitch to catch beca use there's nothing else that it could use. There are several ways to get it. 1 - just throw pokeballs at it and hope it works. I personally don't like to waste any. 2 - Use pokemon that blocks running away. I don't have one. And 3 which is my favourite - just put him to sleep with something. If you selected Balbasaur as a starter or got Butterfree from the Viridian forest then just use sleep powder and catch it.

2hoahqf.png

We continued beating some people.

o08fw0.png

Get a hold of yourself, woman. Cheating is no good, ask Christy Mack.

14c9ykh.png

Oooh, so that's the guy. Well, too bad your girlfriend prefers me.

You don't need cut to get the item behind the dude. You just have to make him see you and battle you at exactly the same place as me in the screenshot. If you get closer to him, he'll block your path.

And finally, we got to Bill's house.

2q3p28h.png

And he's a pokemon and want our help to become human again.

wl6f03.png

So after we help him, he give us a boat ticket which allows us to continue the game.

9s5e7q.png

But look at him. Those manly eyebrows. His existence by itself probably makes women wet. I guess that's the reason Misty's gym is the water one. So she could be like "yeah, somebody splashed some water on my thights". Great cover.

This is how our pokemon look right now:

et9y0j.png

With a little luck and some potions I think we'll be able to do fine against Misty.

I decided to show the battle against Misty as a video instead with screenshots and comments. And I will probably be doing the same for every important one from now on (against gym leaders/rival/other important guys/e4).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8aNzWfbs9w

I also wrote most of the next part but accidentally refreshed the page and floosh. I'm furious right now so I'll probably do the update tomorrow.

I would recommend showing a lot more than you are. Any snarky things to say about dialogue? Any scenes from battles? In my LP, I showed all boss fights but not normal trainer battles. The key thing to remember here is that people want to watch you play, not read you describing what you did. Of course, I'm hardly an LP expert, and you should take my advice with a grain of salt, but it's my advice nonetheless.

Edit: The video format is a nice idea, but I would recommend having commentary in these videos. As some more advice, I would recommend you use the captions to tell a story. Chorocojo, pretty much the god of Pokemon screenshot LPs, was great at this; he'd create a character, and then all of his commentary would be in character. You can even make that character yourself, but, trust me, we want to see you play the game, not just the game. Don't be afraid to make yourself part of this!

Edited by blah the Prussian

I'll try to make it better. It's just that everybody's already played the game and I would guess it's not really fun for people to watch all the stuff the unnamed characters have to say. I've done video lps with voice commenting and it's really harder to make things like I want to with just text and screenshots. It's either too much or less content, too serious or whatever.

Anyways, thanks for the tips and I'll try to improve and make things more interesting.

[spoiler=Part 5]

Now that we dealt with Misty and Bob, we can finally go through the house that was robbed.
33wbd4g.png
On the other side of it we are stopped by another rocket grunt.
qno369.png
Of course, no difficulties here. As we go outside the city, we stop in the grass to catch a Meowth. Right next to the caretaker.
x1il49.png
But the road's closed. So we take the alternitive one - through the small building that is connected to some tunnel. Inside that building there's a girl that trades a male Nidoran for a male one in Leaf Green and the opposite in Fire red. I know there are a lot of Nidoking fans out there so if you play LG, you could trade it and have the 50% exp bonus.
s46lq1.png
We get to the other side of the tunnel where more guys wanting a pokemon battle await us.
126fic2.png
Probably both. That's the harsh truth.
We finally get to Vermillion city and the first thing we do is go to the pokemon center of course.
2ykmc0x.png
Where we meet that woman who happily gives us an item. And a good one on top of that. It's the VS seeker - it lets you battle the trainers on the road again. So you can become rich and farm exp from the easy ones that give more money. I'm too lazy for that though so I never actually use it.
And right outside the pokemoncenter there's a hidden item. It's in the sand right where I am standing.
izpxzd.png
Then we go through the houses around the city. In one of them there's a fisherman that will give you an old rod which you can use to catch the legendary Magikarp. And nothing else, I believe.
ameblc.png
And in another house there's an old guy that wants to tell you some old boring story.
oz8yb.png
Just lie to him that you'd like to hear it and he'll give you a bike voucher. Damn, that's worth a million.
avsolf.png
There's a lot going on here so we start with the less important to do. We go east and battle the trainers that have gathered there.
5wxmit.png
We also catch a Drowzee in the grass there.
sqp204.png
After we beat them all we continue and the next thing I always do here is to buy some repels and go to Diglet's cave. Why, you'd ask. Well, there's tons of Digletts in there as you probably would guess but there's also a Dugtrio which is always around level 30 which is most probably higher than your pokemon. And here's the electric gym so we could use him as a last resort if something goes wrong.
But if you don't want to go through hundreds of thousands of millions of Diglets before getting a Dugtrio you could just use repel with a pokemon above level 20-22 and just wait for it to come out. It could take some repels though, be patient.
2edsc9z.png
16atrgn.png
We still can't go to the gym as there's a fucking tree that blocks our path and I guess is too hard to get around or get through the fence. So we head towards the dock and SS Anne with the ticket we got from Bob.
6hhsoh.png
There's tons of rooms. We start with going down the stairs and taking the hidden hyper potion in that bucket.
11abds9.png
And then we beat the trainers. There are a lot of water types so if you have a Pikachu you'll have no problems here.
And in one of the rooms there's a nice girl which offers us her bed. It basically works as a pokemon center.
o6eanc.png
We get to the kitchen where we get a pretty obvious item from a pokeball and three hidden berries.
xbakp5.png
2nuq7py.png
nxv239.png
And you know what happened? Mankey got to level 28 and evolved into Primeape. Now he's even more angry than before.
34t9ac5.png
adkfu8.png
That happened right before the battle with our rival. Which was pretty pathetic, to be honest. His guys gained almost nothing while ours are like 10 levels higher than the last time we met. That won't be the case anymore though. Pretty sure the next time his will be as high as ours. Anyways, here's the battle but it's pretty pointless.
So we get to the captain and looks like his back hurts. And what do you do when your back hurts and you see a stranger kid? That's right, make her rub it. Holy shit.
20787q9.png
Well, if you actually do it, at least give her an award. He did.
2ch54j9.png
That's the move cut which we can use to cut the tree next to the gym. And that's what we do. We go heal our dudes and get right to the job.
149vwup.png
The trainers in the gym aren't hard but there's that bullshit puzzle that you need to go through. You just need to find the two bins that turn off the electricity. But it takes ages to do so.
waksa8.png
fatu6p.png
We finally go through and are ready for battle.
2r21usl.png
And the battle was actually shorter than the electricity thing. I don't see the point of even showing a video but here it is anyway.
And after we got the badge now we've done almost everything we could in that city. In one of the houses there's a girl that trades Farfetch'd for a Spearow. So I caught one more Spearow and gave it to her. Just for the sake of getting it in the pokedex.
2gxobqv.png
Then we saw this shady looking guy. He wasn't there before, what could he want?
nq1uz8.png
Looks like there's one of his clones on road 2 and he had to tell us. I guess we'll be going there then.
dr576g.png
The way's right trough Diglet's cave.
We get to the other side and first check out the house that is right in front of the cave. There's a guy that can give you a Mr. Mime for an Abra.
2v0zf2t.png
We continue and finally find the clone
s2yyq8.png
Yeah, I have 180.
9asnx1.png
And after that we are finally done with Vermillion. Now we can return to Cerulean. Where I also catch Bellspourt as I forgot to do so the last time around. It's right where Abra is.
mmwlj.png
And we also get the bike. I never use it but it's worth a million, why not to get it.
24g60ph.png
There's nothing to do anymore in Cerulean too so we head east towards the tree that we can cut now...
vnefjn.png
Guess who forgot the fucking Meowth though? That's right, meee. So we get back to the pokemon center, take the Meowth that we teached cut and now we can cut the tree.
And there's the usual road with trainers that have Ratatatatatas and stuff. There's also the move Aerial Ace in a pokeball.
On the end of the road there's a grass.
99qhqh.png
And in that grass lives our next team member. Voltorb.
21f0ip.png
It's 16 level with a shitty impish nature. Great. He also doesn't know any electric attacks so we teach him the Shock Wave move that we won in the third gym.
29uyv7c.png
5tujpj.png
And finally we get to the pokemon center that is close to the road. We heal our guys and also see one more of those clones.
5frns3.png
He gives you an everstone which stops your pokemon from evolving. Oh yeah, let's give it to Tentacool when we get him.
And it's worth nothing so you can't even sell it.
And the next time we'll be going in that rock tunnel, I guess.
64qxra.png

[spoiler=Part 6 - New team member]

So it's time to decide who needs to learn flash. Guess who did it?

Fecking Meowth. I guess cats can shine somehow, I don't know.

If you realize you don't have pokemon that can learn it, go to the grass behind the pokemon center and just catch a voltorb.

Anyways, our Meowth made the place brighter and now we can continue through the cave.

16jjakl.png

33vd7de.png

Here's a funny story. The first time I played the game it probably wasn't clear enough for my simple mind that I have to use flash and just went trough the cave in the dark. It took me like 2 hours. And actually most of the people I know did the same.

There's a repel in a pokeball close to the entrance. It's something you should always have with you. Most of the wild pokemon give too less exp and show up too often in caves to just go without repel. It's painful when you have to run from a fight every 2 second.

kbdu6v.png

There are also some new kinds of pokemon in that cave which we can catch and add to the pokedex.

or8e15.png

jhevt3.png

And the rest is just boring cave with not that many unavoidable trainers.

Though, there's actually a move that your pokemon can learn here.

10zmteb.png

It's a rock attack which should be pretty obvious. It's an okay attack, I don't need it for now but may return to get it in the future.

Then we find an max ether which is always good. Don't use the ethers by the way. You shouldn't even need them before end game actually.

9050d1.png

There's a pearl too. I think it's an item for sales, just like the nugget we got some time ago from that rocket grunt.

s3fqmh.png

And after dealing with some more pretty average trainers with Ratattatatatas, Pidgeys, Onixes, etc. we get to the exit.

2zp3uhu.png

And when we come out...

2r404mx.png

"Oooh, the player has just finished fighting with tons of fuckers in the cave, why not place some more outside of it, pretty sure he'll appreciate it" <--- Pokemon director right there. Thanks.

We leave them alone for now so we can heal first.

And we get to Lavender town.

sgljiv.jpg

The first thing we do after healing is going to the grass to west where we can catch our next official team member.

hw0a3o.png

And it's the fire type Vulpix.

2j0z8ko.png

It evolves into Ninetales when exposed to a fire stone. It's a pretty good pokemon but the thing is there are many other really good fire types that make it seem bad for some people. Ninetales' speed and special defense are awesome and the other stats are about average. Really falls behind in terms of raw power compared to Charizard, Magmar, Arcanine, Flareon all the fire legendaries etc. but is probably my favourite fire type in LG/FR.

Vulpix learns flamethrower at lv 29 so that's when we will evolve it.

Then we go to the pokemon tower where pokemon's spirits wander.

287kiev.png

At that point we still can't do everything in the tower as we have to do some other thing first. But what we can do is kick our rival's ass.

30rr414.png

The battles with him are still easy at that point as before that moment we had two pokemon. But now we got our third and fourth and will catch the other ones pretty soon and they all be at a pretty low level. So they'll steal most of the experience from battles and his pokemon will start to catch up with our Pidgeotto and Primeape. My pokemon are usually 38-42lv when I get to the e4 and I guess that will be the case this time too as Vulpix, Voltorb and the other guys that we need to catch will have to take most of the exp for the next few gyms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3gC_EihCI0

[spoiler=Part 7 - Training Vulpix and doing stuff]

So now that I've got Vulpix it's time to train it up a little. It got most of the experience from the trainers on our way.

xct934.png

s5dbtz.png

sw9vgn.png

30x98k9.png

atp315.png

snifxl.png

14184eo.png

And now it's level 22. Only 7 more to go.

Oh, by the way. Cool stories time. Wanna know where Voltorb fainted from poisoning?

Right fucking there.

29qcolz.png

The way to Celadon is blocked again so we'll have to go through some tunnel one more time.

98516p.png

rtnecw.png

And that's where we got.

ncjso.png

Pretty sure there's nothing new in that grass so we just leave it alone and enter Celadon.

2060br7.png

And there's a lot going on here.

First we follow the hidden path behind the pokemon center. It's not really that hidden but whatever.

o5s2lu.png

mwxvfb.png

And we get to that building.

10yp5ba.png

Go up to the last floor and you can get a free Eevee. I fecked up the screenshots so I can't show it.

2na8vft.png

Next we visit that mansion.

2mcu89x.jpg

There's a nice old lady inside who gives us a tea.

slhfzr.png

You can give it to the guards that block your way between cities as they're thirsty and then you'll be free to go around. It was that easy? Really? Why didn't they just sent one guy to buy some drinks? And how the hell all of them that are probably miles away from each other drank the tea?

ic3ig0.png

So now we have more options for our next destination but we aren't done with Celadon and that's a priority for now.

That's a short part, sorry about that. But the next one will compensate.

[spoiler=Part 8]

We went back to route 9 to the trainer with the two Beedrills. They give decent amount of exp (over 600 each) and are pathetically weak so that was a great chance to get a few levels for our Vulpix.

o91cqkW.png

Then we return from where we stopped the last time and go into the big Celadon store.

OBAK2Us.png

There are different things for sale on each floor but we know exactly what we want from here. We go to 4th floor where you can buy the elemental stones for evolution. And buy 1 fire as we don't need any of the other. Now we're ready for Vulpix's evolution when it learns flamethrower.

e7awI3U.png

WOS9KME.png

Then we go west of Celadon. But the path is blocked by a sleeping Snorlax which we still can't wake up.

gP1ymU6.png

2lAYpo1.png

What we can do, though, is cut that tree and look what's there.

LHH7rVA.png

Glhk2yV.png

More trainers, what fucking else.

We beat them and move on.

GPQCZB3.png

And on the other side there's a house. Let's check it out.

8f9rZ3h.png

VrxbaDV.png

She gives us HM02 which is fly. It's an okay flying attack for battles but it's main use is traveling around faster.

1x2Pwrg.png

And now I think we're ready for the Celadon gym. The trainers there use grass types so it shouldn't be too hard as we have Pidgeotto and Vulpix. And Vulpix is the one I plan using for all the battles. But first, there's an unexpected guest outside the gym.

GEllVy7.png

Anyways, like I said, the chicks around the gym weren't much of a threat. All of their pokemon went down after one or two embers by Vulpix.

0LBEqIB.png

And Vulpix got to level 29. Which means we can finally evolve it as it learnt flamethrower.

sfUaMFH.png

cdcsgiI.png

oM58StH.png

tJ9qbNt.png

Great. Now we have a real fire type. Which will really help against Erica.

lUmz984.png

With the now evolved Ninetales it wasn't that hard. Victreebel also luckily paralyzed Ninetales early so her pokemon couldn't do their bullshit and put it to sleep or poison it after that which would be worse.

And one thing left here is to clear the rockets' hideout. So we go to the game center.

WUeV3Lz.png

And then to the poster.with the dude in front of it. After we beat him, he basically shows us how to open the path.

wxaS1Bd.png

CcyQ3Qo.png

And we go down the stairs.

CcyQ3Qo.png

There isn't much going on on the first floor. Just some guys to beat and some random items.

LPNJ0Qt.png

LPNJ0Qt.png

We go down again.

k8rUMim.png

88NNSZd.png

And we stumble upon some puzzle.

TgVkSHh.png

Well, not really a puzzle. If you know the directions and can follow the fucking arrows, you'll be fine.

And we get some items while going around.

BnYBEfy.png

OJJy5zf.png

i0dfhQD.png

And finally we're done with that.

JeA73ll.png

First we go upstairs and beat that guy. There's nothing else there. Must be pretty lonely for him.

Dy8cMKM.png

But our Voltorb hits level 30 and evolves.

7JaBdwP.png

mV3wmkF.png

XzqbtwP.png

Now we have a badass pokeball.

We go back to the elevator.

gOrVMwL.png

But we need a key. And can you guess where it is?

No, it's not in Sinnoh but it's still far enough to frustrate me.

We go back to the beginning and go one more floor down. I think I was supposed to go there first. Whatever.

OcoplYS.png

RC3eaWZ.png

And that stupid thing again.

IFeY0yr.png

At least we get a rare candy. Always nice to get one.

Sre5bMN.png

And we also get black glasses.

XcTpchF.png

It makes dark type attacks more powerful. Guess who doesn't have any of these.

We take the stairs.

EEoYl70.png

drxImKK.png

And we beat one more rocket guy.

RA4qM7e.png

Come on dude. You're more worthless than the plants over there beside you. They probably would've guarded the key better.

eF1AhVR.png

Now we can use the lift.

wSqhcLB.png

We need to go to 4th floor. Where two more grunts await us.

BItpT7i.png

We beat them and they kindly open the door for us.

Inside we find some yakuza looking dude with angry eyebrows.

CsAqOVc.png

Turns out it's Giovanni - the rockets' leader.

Meowth had a really important role in the fight. He's awesome.

And we're done with the guy. We'll meet him again, that's for sure but for now we can go back to the pokemon tower as we took the silph scope away from him.

ssQIbX5.png

There's a fog and you can encounter pokemon like in the grass and caves. There's only Gastly here.

We beat some chicks (they may not be actually, it's what they look like though).

8gco2s8.png

s99FNb2.png

6ZzR9DK.png

And we get to some pure place that heals our pokemon.

EwSxuO5.png

0Q9hJR6.png

And we also get a cleanse tag which is like a worse version of a repel when held by your main pokemon. But at least you don't pay for it.

omSVNhy.png

Then we continue fighting those creeps.

n8EndwD.png

KcO5Q1e.png

rHsPZw5.png

And we get to the ghost.

WAwemQ2.png

If I came here before getting the silph scope I wouldn't have been able to continue. But now we identify it with the item and find out that it's actually a Marowak. Which we fight.

v0wgyg4.png

LkiWnkX.png

pWmlqrA.png

And we find those guys. Damn, they're everywhere.

oBSwsNV.png

What are they even doing guarding the poor old guy.

AE6JIId.png

After we beat them and save mr Fuji he welcomes us to his house.

L9aFbeg.png

And gives us the pokeflute.

ESexBwg.png

We can use it to wake up the sleeping snorlax that block two of our possible paths and either defeat them or catch them.

The screenshots for the next part are ready too but I'm too tired to write at the moment so I'll do the update tomorrow. We'll be getting our final 2 team members in it. And also we'll be having our toughest gym battle so far.

Also, for those who don't know, Youtube has an option to speed up videos which can make mine more watchable as I don't speed them up.

[spoiler=Part 9 - Our team is full now and Koffing is a bitch.]

fSQ4VeP.png

Now that we have the pokemon flute, we can wake up the sleeping Snorlaxes. We go south of Lavender. There are bunch of fishermen along the way so if you already have an electric or a grass type, that's a good training spot. In my case Electrode will get some exp as it falls behind the others at the moment.

FiBHQDM.png

Minfzgc.png

celCLEX.png

v3TNhOl.png

vcq9iN6.png

And we get to the Snorlax.

mLx8lqK.png

I don't plan on using it so we just beat it as it's too much of a pain to catch it just for the pokedex. And there's one more anyway so if I decide to catch it, we can do that later.

rjsIbdM.png

We continue and get to a house which we visit.

58DEbka.png

There's a fisherman that gives us the super rod.

6lmE8LU.png

uDvoF1I.png

If you still don't have a water type that gives you a plenty of options. We won't be using it to catch a water type. What we'll be using it for, though, is catching a Grimer. At that point the only place we can do that is the small pond in Celadon.

8xWRtJi.png

Pretty strange place for a Grimer but whatever. It has a 1% chance to show up and I actually spend more than half an hour in trying to get the bastard.

But in the end, we caught ourselves our 5th team member.

KBomLG9.png

It comes at a pretty high level too and I won't have to babysit it so it is ready for use.

Grimer evolves into Muk at level 38. But here's a thing. Grimer learns sludge bomb at level 43. Muk does at 49. Most likely it won't be getting to 49 before beating the elite four but I want the attack. So the everstone will come in handy here and I'll be using it to stop Grimer from evolving until he learns sludge bomb.

We go back to the water path and continue.

M81qjOM.png

N0rS2Fa.png

farlUfN.png

And we stop in that grass.

tsLFHym.png

Where we catch a Venonat for the pokedex.

WrKVl3Z.png

And then more trainers. They're not fishermen anymore.

BAAETjc.png

x5ld6SP.png

xc3PI2H.png

jfXs7rX.png

Here's a grass too and I checked out what's there.

pdQrAh2.png

Weepinbell which we don't have. Catch it.

J2yzQQr.png

Then I actually decided to skip the other guys and save the exp for later when I'll be able to decide who will need it most. Maybe our water type will come at a lower level so some trainers will help.

Kk1KIzz.png

And we're finally in Fuchsia city. There's a gym here, there's a safari game and there's some pretty good items and moves and here we'll get the chance to catch our next team member too. So a lot of stuff to do.

iiXZ6ne.png

First we meet one more fisherman who gives us the good rod.

esaNVBL.png

And we go straight for the safari game.

1g9rXza.png

HTBhJh6.png

I don't think it's possible to do everything in one go here. I usually go twice. The first time our priority is getting surf and getting as many as possible pokemon and items. And when we come back we'll do whatever is left.

We start by catching a female Nidoran which I already had but I'm a retard, Doduo and Nidorina.

Rck092R.png

jMs5X8h.png

T8My6fI.png

Then we just follow the path.

wMvYMqq.png

TxTwmst.png

Then we find a quick claw. It gives you a 20% or something chance to go first even if slower. Sounds good but in practice it's rarely useful and is usually an item that I give to a pokemon that I can't give nothing else.

NUI19Xk.png

4JfFKQG.png

4oXpPxC.png

6Kn7j8h.png

We also find golden teethe which will be useful later.

SLJkTaE.png

OOKe2lO.png

And we finally get to the place where we can get surf.

TpPk220.png

QoLN2Jd.png

HTpW3qj.png

And now that I got surf, it's possible to catch a Tentacool. I don't have any water types that can learn surf though so first we go catch a Goldeen.

5qQpFIo.png

Okay, now le-

7fbMgxD.png

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---!!!!

Okay, time for a gym battle I guess.

BjOHmL5.png

There are poison guys there, some of them have psychic types too. Really annoying foes, had to go back to the pokemon center a few times before even reaching Koga.

But we finally get to him.

9p6SJcI.png

It's time for duel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zN8Aa4sp4w

Ninetales was the mvp here. Tough battle against bulky pokemon with annoying moves some of which being 10 levels ahead. The fucker even used selfdestruct. 2 fucking times.

But now we can finally use surf and catch ourselves a Tentacool. It can be found almost everywhere, I personally flew back to Pallet to catch it there.

QawyNVU.png

27 level. Not too bad. It has jolly nature which gives it more speed. Which is good but it also lowers its special attack which is not good at all as it's not really that powerful to begin with. It will be a shitty Tentacruel but it will be our shitty Tentacruel. So no worries.

Here's how our final team looks like.

i15wush.png

Finally full. Pidgeotto, Grimer and Tentacool will evolve but generally that's our final group.

Edited by nyanza

[spoiler=Part 10]We already have 40 kinds of pokemon caught so before anything else we go get our prizes from the professor's lackeys.

The itemfinder can get you some items that are hidden.

FBcmcDf.png

And the amulet coin doubles the amount of cash you get after a battle. The pokemon that holds it just has to appear in the battle.

aIrXjoN.png

And after we get the items we can finally go and wipe out the rockets.

QNKbgSt.png

There are tons of doors around. You can use the portals to go about anywhere but it's hard to keep a track on where each one sends you. So it's easier to just get the key first and then go around.

To do so, go to 5th floor.

3CiqwDX.png

XQFJHsp.png

Then in that corner.

EmhbDAd.png

Use that teleport and and then once more to come back but that time on the other side of it.

FuuXHZa.png

gADv3O2.png

Then just follow the way to the pokeball in which you can find the card key.

G7SAoRg.png

And now that we have it, we'll come back to the second floor and will check everything on each floor.

We fight some guys along the way.

r3nhxMY.png

Z0022iM.png

We check what's behind that door.

WIpy7Yg.png

And that lady offers us the move thunder wave. Which we don't need.

rMi5HPj.png

Behind the other door there's only a battle.

dBp9jh5.png

ryxt1k4.png

But something really cool happened.

hyKZp2l.png

gy5sulC.png

Holy shit, look at how badass that thing is. Now it can molest schoolgirls with its tentacles.

And more battles.

nHaRlte.png

Next floor.

KFjTfwL.png

And next battle.

wpIrQei.png

Let's go there.

YLZHAns.png

i5qxO5t.png

Nothing interesting.

uR1o60u.png

Next floor. And tons of battles.

tk1Wpcv.png

2j8ddls.png

gHYh8Po.png

AQq55kE.png

5uX09UZ.png

qX5Zy0E.png

And we found some items here. I didn't take screenshots so I don't remember what they were. But probably nothing interesting.

jVJtg69.png

SLauwqe.png

AcVo19b.png

Next floor.

BYKfngw.png

1t1iopo.png

mri4qP2.png

6vAXNC1.png

And next floor.

AuG1Osu.png

xebnLzp.png

yYfrnaV.png

BEn8Dqv.png

k4cmzFx.png

70svnVd.png

Neext one.

aSKU7s6.png

u4d7Y23.png

0ImHAoI.png

KiVVmgB.png

And there's a girl. That offers you to rest. Accept, trust me.

S2zS7Aa.png

jVqRjnI.png

Behind that guy there's a teleport.

OW8TdqZ.png

Which takes you to that one.

Std0F9t.png

Which takes you here.

ukLvtFS.png

Oooh, we know that guy, don't we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9yGvedVlQ

Only his Alakazam was a problem. I sent in Tentacruel despite his weakness so I can lower his defense with acid but I actually defeated him with it. Really easy battle.

And you can receive a Lapras. I'm pretty sure that's the only place you can get it. It's one of the better pokemon for in-game use with its ice/water type, above average defenses, perish song and ability to learn psychic, thunder and thunderbolt.

90cM2au.png

We unlock one final door.

XCFST5z.png

And here he is.

zeFfVWM.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeH0PBexuac

By mistake I started with an unhealed Electrode. Then I sent in Ninetales to lower Nidorino's attacking power by burning it. And then finished it with two flamethrowers. Rhyhorn has a x4 weakness against water so Tentacruel wiped him out with surf. Then I mistook Kangaskhan's type. It's actually a normal. So I changed to Primeape. Who finished the job with one hit. And for Nidoqueen I went once again for the burning. That mixed with confusion and Ninetales' flamethrowers was enough to beat it.

And the old man gave us a masterball.

AeuAzRc.png

I have 4 more parts ready before fighting the elite four. So the lp will probably be finished in the next week or so. And we'll see afterwards if I'll continue with the postgame.

Edited by nyanza

[spoiler=Part 11]

Now that the rockets are out of the way, we can enter the Saffron gym. The trainers there use psychic types and the leader is Sabrina.

XKuNSiI.png

It's probably clear by now but I'm not in a good position against psychic types with my team. So I will fight only Sabrina. There are tons of other trainers but you can skip them. Here's how.

Use the only teleport in front of you when you enter the gym. Shouldn't be hard.

pwcY1vL.png

aXeZ1ry.png

Then take the upper one.

61Jn1Ew.png

Then the one in left of you.

jqCvria.png

Then Dawn. (awww, you get it?)

jqCvria.png

Dawn again.

lNYKq5U.png

And you're there. Without fighting any of the trainers.

RJ8dO55.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6_T-gLLidg

Alakazam was just too strong. So I had to bring the secret weapon - Kaboom.

Also in one of the houses that you couldn't visit before there's a person that will give you psychic. Great attack, too bad nobody in my team can learn it.

bQY2REw.png

ieuk88Q.png

After that we go back to Fuchsia to do whatever's left. In one of the houses there's an old guy. If you give him back his golden teeth (which we picked up earlier in the safari) he gives you the hm strength. It's used to move boulders around and it's not bad in a battle either - 80 power with 100 accuracy.

Then we go to the safari again so we can collect what we didn't the last time and also catch some more pokemon.

igqjFdo.png

sDKnPmJ.png

59QNOTD.png

DWHiJeF.png

vqedgT8.png

e92GRNv.png

wQoeCTL.png

And now that we're done with pretty much everything, we can leave Fuchsia. There's only one way.

rHVuR0C.png

We meet some more trainers on the way. There are tons of water trainers here so if your electric type's falling behind that's a good place to train it. I missed most of them as they don't give much money. And where the fuck do they keep them anyway?

WUEItO8.png

Vwz21jV.png

3xVvKAa.png

And we got to some island. But not the one we wanted.

nOTPxwp.png

UuDWTGV.png

Yeeeah, it's time for everyone's favourite - caves. And not just some cave. THE cave in which you spend 30 minutes trying to find the exit.

3shrLvz.png

3tK9ZbA.png

n3aDKZY.png

Also, in the cave chills (daaamn, I'm on fire today 8) ) the first legendary bird - Articuno.

gkspR9r.png

It's a beast as you would expect from a legendary. But at least for now we won't be catching any of these.

After literally spending more than 30 minutes I actually found the exit.

V5O9yEK.png

But before going out I let my repel fade out and caught a bunch of pokemon for the pokedex.

xSlzUp8.png

0s6Ob2r.png

XVwCeYS.png

VZObYEz.png

So it's time to surf again.

2l5lVzL.png

uxyoJHy.png

And we reached our destination.

J2i3Um4.png

[spoiler=Part 12]

Will we get our 7th gym badge?

DS6Z3nA.png

Nah. How are the guys inside even alive if it's locked? Looks like they won't come out any time soon so we'll have to solve the problem.

We go to the lab.

dCGHsGg.png

And in one of the rooms there's a guy that collects fossils. You can give him the fossil that you received ages ago right at the beginning of the game and he'll give you the pokemon later.

i86vKVj.png

ayfWjPD.png

Also, here I remembered that we already have caught 50 kinds of pokemon so I flew back to Fuchsia for a while to get the exp share.

VnB6JrO.png

Really bad timing to give it to you, just like the fossil.

Pokemon guy 1: Hey guys, I think we fucked up. We give the player a level 5 pokemon right before the end of the game for a fossil that he received at the beginning.

Pokemon guy 2: No probs guys. We'll just give him the exp share when he catches 50000 kinds of pokemon and he'll give it to the pokemon of the fossil.

Pokemon guy 1,3,4,etc.: Great idea!!

We go back to that island and visit the only place that's left - the mansion.

LNeushW.png

9wSG0xU.png

We catch a Raticate because we don't have one.

Wy9nUTM.png

And there's a really easy puzzle with switches. Just be sure to take all the possible items before activating some switch.

Vo33hkY.png

GWmonQp.png

And there's some scary hole.

B8u3lvL.png

The right one leads you to the place that you came from. And the left want, which you should choose, gets you here.

unObVwC.png

We go down the stairs.

SIFGejP.png

We get tm14. Which is Blizzard and I think it's the strongest ice attack in that generation. Not that accurate though.

1yXfo6G.png

Then we get a secret key. Could it be the key for the gym?

kzhGrrc.png

We also get one more really strong attack - tm22 Solarbeam. Nobody can learn it though.

And there's nothing else that we can take from here. So we just use the escape rope and finally go to the gym.

hsE77dT.png

It has a pretty interesting concept. There are doors after each trainer. You can either beat him or answer a question on that machine behind him to open it. I decided to fight all of them because Tentacruel was a little low on levels. And we finally get to the gym leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMzSBAhPOrM

Really easy battle for Tentacruel. Arcanine lived with like 2 hp at the end and actually defeated our Tentacruel but fainted by the recoil of its own attack. So that's a seventh gym badge for us.

Also Pidgeotto finally evolved into Pidgeot while fighting all these trainers.

9bTJRiF.png

PVgv57S.png

And when we go out of the gym we have an unexpected guest. The angrybrow womanizer Bill.

ZY8Akw5.png

MD60Kto.png

dO3JGxC.png

Fine, whatever.

nSh7k6u.png

He takes us to some island.

LFmoSMa.png

And then makes us do his dirty work.

cRuqFy3.png

Okay, let's go to two island.

CiQX1oW.png

We find the guy that we are looking for but he also gives us more work to do.

V6G3MyQ.png

He lost his daughter or something. On another island. Really good dad.

We go there and we find a whole bunch of bikers. And we have to fight aaal of them.

1lw39Uq.png

At least they're not that hard.

There's only one way to go so we follow it and hope that we'll find the girl.

IHy3QBf.png

JEVWG9Z.png

Then we enter some forest.

uxE5mq9.png

Where we catch ourselves a Hypno.

Hv0HkNu.png

And we finally find her.

GHwKEge.png

ftYbXXC.png

sYqHF8C.png

rAaCl4r.png

rAaCl4r.png

And then we have to fight 30 level Hypno. Not too hard considering the ones in the grass right beside it are like 10 levels higher. I think you can catch it too but we already caught one so it's pointless.

Jxag4kL.png

TPnsL9B.png

Give me money to buy a bike.

hGuIY5f.png

Well, that's fine too.

Now we can go back to the angry eyebrow.

TDtSJdR.png

q9m5OoN.png

And he takes us back. But now we can go to the islands any time by taking SS Anne in Vermillion.

Also we spent a lot of time doing all that stuff so let's check out the fossil guy.

3nY923a.png

EaeDwiZ.png

What are you doing here Kabuto? Go fight Naruto or something.

And we have nothing more to do here so we leave the island.

svYWp7A.png

Again, there are trainers on the way but I try to avoid them.

And we get to good old Pallet town. And we get attacked by a wild Ratatatata.

1L8ZCLh.png

Thank god we got away safely!

And the leader in Viridian is finally back so now we can get our 8th and last gym badge.

QQJTxzT.png

I decided to not be lazy for once and I'm posting everything before the elite four. But there's a limit for the images in one post so I'll split it in two post with two parts each.

Edited by nyanza