Breaking the Meta

Roysourboy

Me and my friend have decided to see how we could break Fates metagame, because all characters can get almost any skill through streetpass tutoring(children characters can get every non dlc skill in game i believe). So this is what we have come up with so far:

Galeforce

Copycat Puppet

Warp

Household Cure

Breaking Sky

Galeforce-after killing, move again

Copycat Puppet-you split your unit, basically meaning you attack twice per turn until you die

Warp-you can teleport and move again to any ally on the map(if you kill an enemy after warping, galeforce procs and you can move again)

Household Cure-if you survive an attack, you can move than use elixir to heal then attack again

Breaking Sky-skillx3/2 to add half of enemies Str/Mag to your attack(most 20/20 units have about a 30-50% activation rate for this)

some strats for this skill set

Warp>Heal

Heal>Kill enemy>Galeforce>Warp>Staff

Kill enemy>Galeforce>Staff

clone Warps unit>9 units Warp in

Kill enemy>Galeforce>Warp

you have 4 inventory slots for weapons/staff because of elixir but anything else is customizable

and only females can get warp, others need to find another skill

any ideas for improvement or comments?

Edited by Roysourboy

and only females can get warp, others need to find another skill

Actually, if you wait for several turns without killing the boss in the witch DLC, two witches in guard stance will appear. One of the witches in the guard stance will have a warp scroll which can be used on any unit lv 35 / 15 (promoted) and above.

Actually, if you wait for several turns without killing the boss in the witch DLC, two witches in guard stance will appear. One of the witches in the guard stance will have a warp scroll which can be used on any unit lv 35 / 15 (promoted) and above.

Warp is a level 25 skill but you need to be level 35 to use the scroll? I wasn't aware scrolls had a level requirement

Edited by NekoKnight

Warp is a level 25 skill but you need to be level 35 to use the scroll? I wasn't aware scrolls had a level requirement

Yep. It's kind of annoying that you have to be ten levels higher to use the warp scroll than if you got it via level ups, but at least it's available for all characters.

Well as long as we're talking about breaking the metagame, I have a suggestion:

[spoiler=The Team]

Kamui (it is vital that Kamui be fed ALL the boots)

Golden-Kite Warrior

Skills: Galeforce, Flamboyant, Warp, Breaking Sky, Swallow Strike/Line of Death

Azura

Songstress

Skills: Warp, Special Song, Filler, Filler, Filler

Kanna

Holy Bowman

Skills: Warp, Copycat Puppet, Witch's Poison, Breaking Sky, Flamboyant

Two Falcon Warrior Rally Bots

Shared Skills: Copycat Puppet, Warp

Rallies: Spectrum, Strength, Skill, Speed, Luck, Movement

[spoiler=Now that's strategy!]

Step 1: Do the buffs (Rainbow Elixirs, Copycat's ETC)

Step 2: Use rallies

Step 3: Pair up one of the Falcon Copies with Kamui

Step 3: Move Kamui towards the enemy as far as possible (12 spaces using boots obtainable from IK, 14 if you get the other two from Ranking)

Step 4: Split the pair up. Warp Azura next to Kamui and refresh.

Step 5: Move Kamui forward again without pair-up. You can move 27 tiles with the maximum number of boots, so you should be able to attack now.

Step 6: Attack the most important target. Rally-bots, Azuras, the hardest-hitting crit machine they've got, Galeforce users, whatever. If you use a brave bow, you should be able to get the kill. Especially if you use Speed asset and Swallow Strike for 4x hits.

There are two options from here.

Step 7(1): Warp away if there isn't an opportunity for a good follow up. The Falcon Puppet that wasn't used for pair up should be able to use a rescue staff on Azura and the puppet used for pair-up will be between 12-13 spaces from the enemy, so they shouldn't be able to reach it. Repeat steps 2-6.

Step 7(2): Attack again. This time though, the priority target is any powerful ranged attackers they might have (Bow and Magic users). They don't tend to be very bulky, so even with half-strength, you should be able to kill (especially if you're attacking four times and/or have Line of Death). Proceed to step 8.

Step 8: Warp in both Kannas and have them either kill an enemy unit if possible, or pin them in place with the range-3 bow and Witch's Poison. Assuming optimal conditions and results, this should leave them with only a single attacker on their turn (this includes if they have Puppets, as whatever affects the original or the clone affects the other, so both will die or be frozen).

Step 9: Wait for the enemy to finish their turn. With only one free to move (or even alive) unit, they'll either have to choose between killing Kamui or Kanna and if they have Galeforce, you still have four Falcon Warriors and a Dancer (I don't believe that Azura clones are capable of dancing, so there's no point sticking copycat puppet on her. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Step 10: Finish them off. Whether or not you use the Kannas or Galeforce Kamui, Azura will be able to warp in and give you three attacks with which ti finish them off.

Step 11: Season your food and drink with the salt and tears of your enemies.

Step 12: Realise that you've created a monster

Step 13: Pick a God and pray that the strategy doesn't catch on

Step 20xx: Watch as it does

Step ???: Drink yourself unconscious over guilt for ruining Fates' multiplayer

Step 15: Realise too late that everyone might talking about PVE and feel like an idiot.

Edited by Phillius

Yep. It's kind of annoying that you have to be ten levels higher to use the warp scroll than if you got it via level ups, but at least it's available for all characters.

That's kind of lame. I was hoping to make a Grandmaster Kamui with Warp but if you need to be level 35 to use it, that's pretty much the last few chapters only.

That isn't actually break the meta if you think about. Copycat Skill and Warp skill are incredibly overpowered in StreetPass battles if you know how to set your map and equip well and know how Copycat works (note that getting the Copycat skill is pretty easy in comparison to getting the Easy Life/Extravagance skill). A "break the meta" would be something unconventional in your team composition. Galeforce is strong, but the skill has been heavily nerfed when it comes to Attack and Guard stances (not to mention, it's much harder to obtain now either getting two Dark Pegasus scrolls for free, or doing an somewhat difficult DLC for unlimited Galeforces).

An example of a "break the meta" would be something more of line of an all Maid team (which is something I will be doing after completing Conquest and Birthrights runs in Relevations). The reason an all Maid team is break the meta because theoretically, you have both offensive (debuff from the shurikens/daggers) and utility (staff healing) that would be difficult to deal with, but your My Castle team composition isn't as diverse since your units will be attacking with only shurkiens/daggers, which can easily be countered with bows and axes (an ideal My Castle composition needs to be diverse).

Edited by Dark Paladin X

wow i didnt know about this

thanks

Edited by Roysourboy

Ok so im looking at skill scrolls in the game

most are unreleased, but some dlc classes have them

luckily this makes warp available to all units

proximity shot would be a given for an archer

attack and guard stance would be amazing

Edited by Roysourboy

What. Seriously? Oh, that's just nuts.

Damn, I didn't know that... But Warp is so broken, not sure if I want to break the game on my knee like that.

Well as long as we're talking about breaking the metagame, I have a suggestion:

[spoiler=The Team]

Kamui (it is vital that Kamui be fed ALL the boots)

Golden-Kite Warrior

Skills: Galeforce, Flamboyant, Warp, Breaking Sky, Swallow Strike/Line of Death

Azura

Songstress

Skills: Warp, Special Song, Filler, Filler, Filler

Kanna

Holy Bowman

Skills: Warp, Copycat Puppet, Witch's Poison, Breaking Sky, Flamboyant

Two Falcon Warrior Rally Bots

Shared Skills: Copycat Puppet, Warp

Rallies: Spectrum, Strength, Skill, Speed, Luck, Movement

[spoiler=Now that's strategy!]

Step 1: Do the buffs (Rainbow Elixirs, Copycat's ETC)

Step 2: Use rallies

Step 3: Pair up one of the Falcon Copies with Kamui

Step 3: Move Kamui towards the enemy as far as possible (12 spaces using boots obtainable from IK, 14 if you get the other two from Ranking)

Step 4: Split the pair up. Warp Azura next to Kamui and refresh.

Step 5: Move Kamui forward again without pair-up. You can move 27 tiles with the maximum number of boots, so you should be able to attack now.

Step 6: Attack the most important target. Rally-bots, Azuras, the hardest-hitting crit machine they've got, Galeforce users, whatever. If you use a brave bow, you should be able to get the kill. Especially if you use Speed asset and Swallow Strike for 4x hits.

There are two options from here.

Step 7(1): Warp away if there isn't an opportunity for a good follow up. The Falcon Puppet that wasn't used for pair up should be able to use a rescue staff on Azura and the puppet used for pair-up will be between 12-13 spaces from the enemy, so they shouldn't be able to reach it. Repeat steps 2-6.

Step 7(2): Attack again. This time though, the priority target is any powerful ranged attackers they might have (Bow and Magic users). They don't tend to be very bulky, so even with half-strength, you should be able to kill (especially if you're attacking four times and/or have Line of Death). Proceed to step 8.

Step 8: Warp in both Kannas and have them either kill an enemy unit if possible, or pin them in place with the range-3 bow and Witch's Poison. Assuming optimal conditions and results, this should leave them with only a single attacker on their turn (this includes if they have Puppets, as whatever affects the original or the clone affects the other, so both will die or be frozen).

Step 9: Wait for the enemy to finish their turn. With only one free to move (or even alive) unit, they'll either have to choose between killing Kamui or Kanna and if they have Galeforce, you still have four Falcon Warriors and a Dancer (I don't believe that Azura clones are capable of dancing, so there's no point sticking copycat puppet on her. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Step 10: Finish them off. Whether or not you use the Kannas or Galeforce Kamui, Azura will be able to warp in and give you three attacks with which ti finish them off.

Step 11: Season your food and drink with the salt and tears of your enemies.

Step 12: Realise that you've created a monster

Step 13: Pick a God and pray that the strategy doesn't catch on

Step 20xx: Watch as it does

Step ???: Drink yourself unconscious over guilt for ruining Fates' multiplayer

Step 15: Realise too late that everyone might talking about PVE and feel like an idiot.

...Yeah, I think multiplayer game balance was an afterthought.

...Yeah, I think multiplayer game balance was an afterthought.

Not necessarily. Trying to make balanced multiplayer for what was up until now a single player game was already going to be a pain in the ass. Especially considering that Nintendo doesn't really have a good history when it comes to multiplayer balance (SSB and Pokemon come to mind). Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to enjoy the multiplayer mode, but I think it'll share quite a few similarities to Pokemon in that you have to put a lot of effort into the team and only use certain strategies or you'll get curb-stomped.

I've just realised that Warp and Copycat Puppet are Fates' equivalent of weather teams.

Aren't boots single-use only? In that you can only use ONE on ONE character? You can't give them two or more?

Really? Well in this video (itself an example of how broken Fates' multiplayer is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3UTu5aZxM

If you skip to 7:08 you'll see that the Holy Bowman Kanna has a movement of 9 (With Rally Movement in effect). Unless they increased the base speed of some classes, then I'm pretty sure that means you can use multiple boots.

Edited by Phillius

Aren't boots single-use only? In that you can only use ONE on ONE character? You can't give them two or more?

No. My Birthright White Blood Kamui has 8 MOV. You can use them all on one unit if you want to.

You might want to, too, since Boots only give +1 MOV now.

Edited by gayserbeam

No. My Birthright White Blood Kamui has 8 MOV. You can use them all on one unit if you want to.

You might want to, too, since Boots only give +1 MOV now.

The strategy lives on! Not sure if that's a good thing or not though...