Help with a more unique playthrough

Ninian157

So, after taking a long break from Awakening (since August 2015) I've decided to pick up the game again. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna play on Normal just to breeze through the game, or go through Hard as a warmup for the higher difficulties. Now comes the problem of pairing everyone and planning everything. I decided to have change some things up, like certain pairings and use some of my less used characters more. Don't have dlc.

First of all, the Avatar. I plan on going with a MaMU with the name Camus. I am going to have him end up as a Paladin and marry Cordelia. I only know he will have Luna and Aegis. No plan on asset/flaw and other things. Also, does anyone know what hair color looks the most like FE11's Camus' hair color (or Sirius)?

With Cordelia I'm probably have her finish as a Falcon Knight. Seeing how I'm not doing an optimal run, I thought about running Sol/Armsthrift/Galeforce/Lancefaire/Bowbreaker. Thoughts?

I plan on having Severa and Morgan end up as Bowknight and Hero, not being set on who gets which class. They will inherit Galeforce and Luna. Ideas for other abilities? How I wish Bowknight was better, but I'll still use it.

My biggest change will be pairing up Chrom with Sully. I rarely use Kjelle, even though I like her, and this will fix that issue. As mentioned earlier, I don't plan on having this run be optimal. I will keep Kjelle as a General, even though they suck, and have her inherit Aegis. Since I plan on having fun I might run something like Pavise/Aegis/Aether/Deliverer/Astra. I know Donnel gives her Galeforce, but I'm limiting my Galeforce use. For Lucina I thought about Aether/Rightful King/Aegis/Swordfaire. Not sure what her last skill would be. Thinking about Vantage/Lethality/Lancebreaker/Astra.

For the remaining characters I'll go with pairings I like, and the parents of children I'm not interested in will be paired with who's left. Going to list my current pairings below. Open for changes, either because the children will suck or the pairing isn't that great.

Lissa-Vaike (I want a blonde Swordmaster Owain)

Tharja-Gaius (Nearly always go with this)

Nowi-Kellam (Great support, tank Nah)

Sumia-Stahl (I like this pairing, plus Stahl seems to work with a lot of children)

Cherche-Gregor (Funny support)

Olivia-Lon'qu (Great pairing)

Brady, Yarne and Laurent I don't care about. Might go Miriel-Ricken so I get another magic user. I also thought Olivia-Frederick and then have Lissa-Lon'qu. Still debating on it. I'll worry about the children as the game progresses. Feel free to leave ideas for them though.

That was a long post. Thanks for any help in advance though. In the meantime I'll try to figure out the optimal for my wannabe Camus MU.

Edited by Ninian157

Since you're playing on Normal/Hard and don't particularly care about optimization, you can mostly do whatever you want, though there are a few things in there that won't work.

First, there's not enough exp to get Cord all those skills, since you're not using the DLC- you'll need to grind a lot on Risen to get them all.

Second, enemies have really low Def on Normal/Hard, so Luna will be doing pretty much nothing. Combine that with low Skl from being at a low level, and you'd see a much bigger average damage increase from a Faire skill, or even Str+2. If you just want to see the skill cut-ins, forge up some Killer weapons, grab Anathema and the like, and go for Sol or Ignis instead.

Third, Bow Knight is actually really good on higher difficulties. Its special advantages won't help as much on Normal/Hard, but it's definitely not bad.

Finally, Sumia cannot marry Stahl.

I don't know why I thought Sumia could marry Stahl. My bad. I suppose it will be Sumia-Frederick or Sumia-Henry then.

Suppose you're right with Luna. Well, I might go Tactician(10)->Mercenary(10)->Hero(10)->Paladin. Then I would end up with something like Armsthrift/Sol/Defender/Aegis/. I've no problem grinding a little bit through Risen battles. What would a good skill be for the last slot?

Actually, what is the best way to get a good Swordmaster Owain? Lon'qu or Vaike?

What exactly makes Bowknight strong? Mounted unit with range and being able to use swords?

What would be a good asset/flaw be for my MU!Paladin? +HP/Spd/Str / -Lck?

Finally, if I would play on Lunatic, which I eventually will, would I need to change anything major? Things like skills, pairings, asset/flaw etc.

Still trying to figure out the optimal hair color for my Camus MU.

Edited by Ninian157

Suppose you're right with Luna. Well, I might go Tactician(10)->Mercenary(10)->Hero(10)->Paladin. Then I would end up with something like Armsthrift/Sol/Defender/Aegis/. I've no problem grinding a little bit through Risen battles. What would a good skill be for the last slot?

Actually, what is the best way to get a good Swordmaster Owain? Lon'qu or Vaike?

What exactly makes Bowknight strong? Mounted unit with range and being able to use swords?

What would be a good asset/flaw be for my MU!Paladin? +HP/Spd/Str / -Lck?

Finally, if I would play on Lunatic, which I eventually will, would I need to change anything major? Things like skills, pairings, asset/flaw etc.

Still trying to figure out the optimal hair color for my Camus MU.

If you're willing to promote Robin into a Grandmaster, you can have him learn Ignis, which is known to be a great skill for raising damage output.

If you want to copy Spotpass Camus somewhat, go with +Spd/-Lck. Otherwise, +Str/-Lck is an excellent alternative considering that you're a physical class. +Str/-Def isn't a bad one either for maximum strength without dropping Speed, and that Defense loss in the long run wouldn't matter too much in Normal/Hard mode since you're grinding. +HP/-Lck isn't the worst possible choice, but there are better Asset/Flaw combinations since your final class is Paladin and you plan on marrying a rather physical-oriented unit (Cordelia).

For Lunatic though, you'd probably want +Spd/-Lck, +Def/-Skl, or +Def/-Lck if you don't have DLC since the game pretty much discourages you from grinding if you don't have DLC.

Hard to say about Owain to be honest since he's generally better off as a magical unit. From what I've heard, Stahl would be the best dad for a more physical/mixed Owain.

[spoiler=About Owain in Fates]

Owain actually used a Levin Sword in the Invisible History DLC while he was still a myrmidon.

I might go Lunatic from the start, you know just to give myself a good kick. Never played Lunatic before so I will enjoy it.

Fewer first gen units? Fine with me, since I really only use them to get stronger 2nd gen. Though I do still like most 1st gen units. How about this?

Chrom-Sully

MU-Cordelia

Cherche-Gregor

Lon'qu-Olivia

Sumia-Frederick

Tharja-Gaius

Isn't like the cap on units usable 12 (+/- something) on most maps? I'm not 100 % sure on that one anymore.

Should I use Lissa? Would lack any healing else besides using items if I don't. If I do I thought about on having her pair up with Stahl.

Should I use Nowi? I do like Nah, and usually have her father be Frederick. But, I personally really hate her Paralogue and often just save it until I have a Mire tome and don't care about the exp. I know that I've done it normally, but the walls are so annoying.

I'll keep using the 1st gen units for quite a few chapters obviously. Is the optimal time to recruit the children once the parents got the skills you want to pass down or should levels/stats also play a factor? I tend for the most part to just wait to get the skill I want, since at that point they're quite strong.

I'm aware of Owain being a better magic user, but I always liked his mymidon class. If I would want a magic Owain, would his best father be? Henry?

Will either go with +Spd/-Lck or +Def/-Lck. Anyone got experiences with both? I will probably go speed, unless someone brings up a good argument in +def's favor.

No, it's not about deployment cap, it's about the fact that Lunatic gets harder the more you bring. You'll see what I mean if you make it far enough for teambuilding to have an effect, it's very unforgiving. I would not advise using more that four first gen units (including Chrom and Robin) if you don't know what you're doing. That means in the short term, not just until you get the kids.

It's possible to use (a lot) more, but you have to go about it in a way that feels very unnatural to people who mostly are familiar with Normal and Hard (and RPGs in general, for that matter).

I'm most likely going to go with Hard first, before I try taking on Lunatic. I will eventually learn the pain of Lunatic.

Man, Lunatic is pretty easy.

Why did I say that?

Because Lunatic+ is HELL.

For Magic Owain, I probably would either suggest Libra or Henry, as both have great magic, But if you wanna go for strength Owain, probably use Vaike, MaMu, Stahl and Lou'qu. Lou'qu is a personal favorite, so keep in mind if you want a Owain that crits every time WHILE using Vengence.

Enemies' thoughts: Welp I'm ded.

Lou'qu is a personal favorite, so keep in mind if you want a Owain that crits every time WHILE using Vengence.

Lon'qu!Owain doesn't have Vengeance, nor does Lon'qu give Owain any +crit skills. How are you doing that?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

But if you wanna go for strength Owain, probably use Vaike, MaMu, Stahl and Lou'qu.

Despite the fact that Owain is meant to be a physical unit (as far as his character goes), he may as well be better off as a magic unit because Lissa's -2 Str mod is a let-down. Also, Vaike!Owain is probably terrible because he doesn't get any procs and the rest of his mods are below average... : /

Edited by Formerly Colm