Help with Dolphin settings

Azz

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but any ways...

I recently got Dolphin and a PoR rom since I no longer have a functional hard copy.

However, when I ever I try to play the game, it runs at between 45%-low 50%. Really the only time it runs around 100% is when I am on the main menu.

Basically, I am wandering what settings I should use to have the game running at its best.

My specs are:

Windows 10

Processor-Intel® Celeron® CPU N2840 @2.16GHz

Ram-4 GBs

64-bit

My Dolphin version is 4.0.2

I don't know much about computers and if I need to post more specs, just say.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, with a lowish spec Celeron processor, you're probably not going to be able to get the emulator to run much faster. A couple of things you can try are:

1) go to configure, and under options, select "Enable Idle Skipping." This will give you a small speed-up and probably won't cause any crashes in PoR; I don't think you have a dual core, so you can't enable that option.

2) You haven't provided the specs of your graphics card, though I doubt they are very good since it wouldn't make sense to pair a high quality graphics card with a low end processor. If you are using a laptop, however, there is a chance it may have 2 graphics cards in it. Windows sucks at recognizing which software needs the better graphics card, so you might want to right click the program and configure stuff under "Run with graphics processor:"

3) With the specs you posted, I'm guessing that you upgraded your laptop to Windows 10 (instead of having it come default with the computer). Unfortunately, Windows 10 puts a much greater strain on your PC than something like 7 or 8, so you might actually experience faster play time if you downgrade to whatever version of Windows you originally had. However, you obviously have to weigh the costs and benefits of doing this based on the other stuff you do on your computer, and it is unclear whether or not you'll get a huge speed up from this.

4) Oh, I almost forgot: if you are using a laptop, make sure that (under Power Settings) you are set to High Performance instead of Power Saver, for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps!

Here are my graphic card specs if needed:

Name-Intel® HD Graphics

Approx. Memory-1792 MB

Thanks for the help again.

Also just one question, I right click the program but no option to 'Run with graphics processor' came up. Is there anything I need to do to let me do this or, because it did not show up, am I am not able to?

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, gameplay has improved a ton, now it is a steady 75-80%. Though, and I don't mean to be picky, but my sound is very laggy

Edited by Azz

Yeah, no problem.

Also just one question, I right click the program but no option to 'Run with graphics processor' came up. Is there anything I need to do to let me do this or, because it did not show up, am I am not able to?

You're right, that's probably just because you don't have 2 graphics cards. This was just a "shot in the dark" suggestion on my part.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, gameplay has improved a ton, now it is a steady 75-80%. Though, and I don't mean to be picky, but my sound is very laggy

Good to see that things improved! Just wondering, what changes were you able to make? Also, with the graphics card specs you gave, I imagine that you might experience a slowdown when doing thigns like casting Fire/Elfire and the like (Dolphin will have a tough time rendering them compared to swinging swords/axes)

I'm not sure how to improve the sound :(

The main changes I made were the things that I was able to do that you suggested and I simply just lowered some things that I found were suggested online for lower grade computers.

As for sound, that is fine. I just turn down the game volume and listen to my own music.

Yeah, when casting spells, the game tends to slow down, but I have animations off so it is not as big a deal.

Thanks again though!