Soleil Support Changed in NA/Europe Localization + Shara/Syalla Name Change

stahl_gaius_fan

"Nintendo has issued a statement saying its upcoming Fire Emblem Fates will not contain a scene that involves "gay conversion or drugging" between two characters."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fire-emblem-fates-controversial-scene-changed-for-/1100-6434035/

+

Shara/Syalla's name has been localized to Rhajat.

Edited by eclipse

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet they are, thank God I don't use either of those services.

I use Facebook a lot (barely any Tumblr)

But they keep coming up with dumb reasons why it should've been kept (some even nonsensical)

So I just sit there

Agreeing with NoA on this one

Honestly, good. That support was super iffy and uncomfortable. Things like censorship and changes are going to happen no matter what, so purists should just grin and bear it.
Makes me wonder if they've changed anything else about Soleil, though. I know there were some aspects of her that were super iffy as well. Something about harassment? Because I want to go into Fates as blind as possible regarding dialogue etc., I didn't check for myself.

I'm perfectly fine with censorship. If something absolutely needs to be changed like Lin's outfits in Xenoblade X or Soleil here, then more power to them. Fatal Frame's outfits look better in the localised version.

The only issue I've ever had with censorship is Xenoblade X's is the removal of the fundoshi. It was the only skimpy male armor in the game and got censored when stuff like the bunny bikini went untouched for the girls. Let the guys run around in thongs please

At least Fates has relatively similar fanservice using Odin. That makes me happy.

I'm perfectly fine with censorship. If something absolutely needs to be changed like Lin's outfits in Xenoblade X or Soleil here, then more power to them. Fatal Frame's outfits look better in the localised version.

Same, I'm fine with censorship. Heck part of me WANTS this game to be heavily censored, but I understand why some don't want it to be.

It's innaccurate to call this censorship. People were pretty vocal about no liking the support, even if half of the anger lacked context.

It's more like a response to criticism than anything.

I don't like censorship in cases where things are dumbed down, lose emphasis on their original meaning, or are changed due to a presumed cultural unfamiliarity that might confuse others.

This, however, was a dumb conversation, and the game is slightly less dumb thanks to its exclusion.

It's innaccurate to call this censorship. People were pretty vocal about no liking the support, even if half of the anger lacked context.

It's more like a response to criticism than anything.

This.

Thank goodness. I was never really bothered by it, but being the only gay Fire Emblem fan most of my friends know, I got tired of people shoving articles about the support in my face. I understood why people were so bothered by it though, so I think NoA made the right call. Of course the thing that actually bothers me about Soleil is unlikely to get fixed here. I hate that she's a walking talking example of queer bating and it'd be great if they actually gave her female S support options to fix that, but no way that's happening.

In this case, I can agree with censorship. I'm worried for a repeat of stuff like Tharja's Harvest Scramble, however, where they censor or change something that didn't need it in the first place, and, in doing so, didn't even make it better, only worse.

Oh thank goodness, that support has already caused sooo much drama, I'm relieved that they're changing it. The purists are pretty effed up in terms of what they are supporting. I'm actually quite disappointed with the original writers for Fates, Japan REALLY dropped the ball and hired a whole mess of scumbags, or at least that's the general vibe I get. I have high hopes for the translation, as NoA usually makes the dialogue fairly charmimg, original content changed or not.

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

Oh thank goodness, that support has already caused sooo much drama, I'm relieved that they're changing it. The purists are pretty effed up in terms of what they are supporting. I'm actually quite disappointed with the original writers for Fates, Japan REALLY dropped the ball and hired a whole mess of scumbags, or at least that's the general vibe I get. I have high hopes for the translation, as NoA usually makes the dialogue fairly charmimg, original content changed or not.

Well that's a little far. I doubt there's many purists wanting it 1-to-1 because they like drugging women or anything.

I haven't read Soleil's supports, but I did hear about the drugging/conversion implications. Honestly, disregarding censorship or not, I find that a support with those themes in it rather vulgar and tasteless. I have no qualms at all.

I still don't understand WHY Soleil wasn't the lesbian option. -_-

Well that's a little far. I doubt there's many purists wanting it 1-to-1 because they like drugging women or anything.

You're right, pardon me for making such a broad generalization. It's just the folks who are throwing a tantrum over this change specificially that make me smh. I'm on Tumblr a lot and the fandom over there is usually pretty chill, but things are a bit chaotic with this new info ahaha

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

Why would he sneak magic powder into her drink when he could just sprinkle some on a cloth and cover her mouth with it?

...This change is probably for the better. Imagine if NoA wrote a support conversation where Soleil gets over social anxiety in a way that makes sense and players could relate to. It would take considerable effort on their part to not improve on the original text.

You're right, pardon me for making such a broad generalization. It's just the folks who are throwing a tantrum over this change specificially that make me smh. I'm on Tumblr a lot and the fandom over there is usually pretty chill, but things are a bit chaotic with this new info ahaha

Tumblr is kind of where the backlash took off, doesn't surprise me it's also the most opposed to the change

I haven't read Soleil's supports, but I did hear about the drugging/conversion implications. Honestly, disregarding censorship or not, I find that a support with those themes in it rather vulgar and tasteless. I have no qualms at all.

I still don't understand WHY Soleil wasn't the lesbian option. -_-

It wasn't conversion, it was this anime as hell "I love girls so much I literally can't function around them" was impeding her in battle.

The drug was to get her more used to being around women so she could fight.

Or so one of the many interpretations go, I wish I knew Japanese so I could make my own conclusion.

Like many have stated above, I am complete alright with this change and would actually prefer this change to happen. Despite her being attracted to woman, drugging someone is quite vulgar and intense for a support conversation. Generally, I'm alright with the censors because they are put there for the intended audience, such as adding more pixels to the Bravo Bikini in Bravely Default.

Good or bad, they are trying to maintain a good image. Adding this drugging into the game could of turned people away or keep the game away from the younger audience.

I think they probably made the right choice to change it, but I'm no judge.

I hope we can tackle this topic with some tact. Pretty please, people.

Edited by Shuuda

Who knew spilling kool aid powder into a drink would cause a huge riot. The support is whatever. Character change for sure. She likes both but prefers women more. A girl picking up dudes, father and daughter persona is probably what they will do, Soleil with guy lover skill. I like her and Opehlia because father personality. Over all to the point, this does not effect me.

Edited by Radiance

I knew this would be changed. The way this support sounded to me when I heard about it was just EW NO. Thank you, NoA. Now I just wish you could cover up Camilla's panties and massive cleavage. Because dumb as hell design.

I knew this would be changed. The way this support sounded to me when I heard about it was just EW NO. Thank you, NoA. Now I just wish you could cover up Camilla's panties and massive cleavage. Because dumb as hell design.

Eh, I see no reason to change Fates' character designs, they look just fine to me.