Soleil Support Changed in NA/Europe Localization + Shara/Syalla Name Change

stahl_gaius_fan

To continue beating a dead horse, yes, the support needed to be changed as its base form was off-putting and creepy. I just wondered what they have come up with to replace it.

Eh, I see no reason to change Fates' character designs, they look just fine to me.

Some people, such as myself, enjoy studying warfare and tactics during the time period that Fates and pretty much every other fire emblem game is based on. While I, and most others, are willing to accept some... inconsistency with reality in terms of armor, Camilla's is a bit out there, even for a fantasy game.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I see no reason to change Fates' character designs, they look just fine to me.

So a woman with a lot of cleavage on huge breasts and strutting around in panties looks just fine to you? Yeah, well, some of us don't want to be grossed out or seen playing while she's on the screen and then have someone notice and go "wtf are you playing?!" Because that would be embarrassing.

Knight: It's not so much anything offensive, it's that I find it disturbing and gross...

Edited by Anacybele

I showed my mom the Camilla cutscene. She found it confusing and weird, and then asked me if Camilla was the bad guy.

Heh, I question the creators. Guess it fits persona? Idk but I will just play the game and ignore it, btw this got off topic so lets go back to Soleil. Heh.

Edited by Radiance

So a woman with a lot of cleavage on huge breasts and strutting around in panties looks just fine to you? Yeah, well, some of us don't want to be grossed out or seen playing while she's on the screen and then have someone notice and go "wtf are you playing?!" Because that would be embarrassing.

Knight: It's not so much anything offensive, it's that I find it disturbing and gross...

You could take that pretty far though; I'm sure some people don't want to be seen with the anime-based characters altogether; shall we blur out all character portraits and mute the voices just so that somebody somewhere can feel they're not seeming 'uncool' in public?

You could take that pretty far though; I'm sure some people don't want to be seen with the anime-based characters altogether; shall we blur out all character portraits and mute the voices just so that somebody somewhere can feel they're not seeming 'uncool' in public?

Really doesn't bother me. Just want my game. May sound blunt but hey, it could be worse. Like Soleil, sure might be weird, but not game breaking or anything.

I showed my mom the Camilla cutscene. She found it confusing and weird, and then asked me if Camilla was the bad guy.

Well, obviously not everyone will react the same way, I just gather that most people, my parents included, will react the way I posted. My parents did have similar reactions to things I was looking at in the past that mistakenly gave them the wrong idea.

This makes me thankful I live on my own and my parents no longer bat an eye at my weird anime stuff haha I just posted a photo of a figure from Kill la Kill on Facebook and my mom was the first one to like it.

Well, obviously not everyone will react the same way, I just gather that most people, my parents included, will react the way I posted. My parents did have similar reactions to things I was looking at in the past that mistakenly gave them the wrong idea.

To be fair, I do see your point about how certain things in Fates could be, uh, questionable to people who are watching you play. Personally, I find hot springs and Fire Emblem Amie more embarrassing than the Camilla cutscene if someone were to catch a glimpse of what I was playing.

I've seen MUCH worse, and honestly I find her design while a bit much in terms of fanservice, it isn't anything I have trouble looking at, unlike 50% of RD's character designs and literally the entirety of SD.

Back on topic tho, yes the support very much needed to be changed.

I don't agree with censorship, but for real the support conversation made me cringe. I am glad they are changing it. It was probably one of the worst support conversations I have read. I hope this in turn builds up Soleil to be an actual character.

I don't agree with censorship, but for real the support conversation made me cringe. I am glad they are changing it. It was probably one of the worst support conversations I have read. I hope this in turn builds up Soleil to be an actual character.

I agree. I usually want as little censorship as possible, but this support just made no sense and really shouldn't have been included in the first place. No matter what someone's views on Soleil's character are (cause I'm sure there are some people who are of specific religions who believe it was totally normal), we should all be able to agree as people that drugging someone is not a good thing to do (even if the person doing it does it without malicious intent).

I agree. I usually want as little censorship as possible, but this support just made no sense and really shouldn't have been included in the first place. No matter what someone's views on Soleil's character are (cause I'm sure there are some people who are of specific religions who believe it was totally normal), we should all be able to agree as people that drugging someone is not a good thing to do (even if the person doing it does it without malicious intent).

Yeah, that was some strong fruit punch powder. It is a video game so it's not life changing or anything. Support was ass anways so I am glad for that change for sure.

Edited by Radiance

Can't say I'm happy about this turn of events.

First, the minute I read the support, I knew it was going to be changed. I mean, the writing was so bad it was downright insulting, and NoA has changed less offensive stuff in their localizations (like the original Ewan x Amelia in FE8). In the end, I honestly didn't care if Nintendo did anything to this convo, I'm going to only play and review the US release and if the convo is shit there, I will review it as it deserves.

But if Nintendo was planning to change this, I wanted them to just edit it and for us not to find out until the game was out, you know, like it's normally done with this stuff. But after all the people complained and NoA released a statement on how they are removing the offensive stuff, now we have the anti-censorship purists raising the pitchforks and torches at NoA. A classic "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, which is REALLY the scenario I didn't want to happen with this.

I can understand that people didn't like the convo, but man, I feel the reactions were over the top from both sides, and this might do the series more harm than good.

Oh well, I'm still excited to play the game next month.

Good. From what i hear this game's plot has enough stupid junk in it that i would welcome wholesale plot changes in large portions of the plot if that made it better. Changes to single convos like this are all the more welcome.

Edited by sirmola

I really have a hard time imagining why people would be up in arms about changing this support. Even if it didn't contain elements reminiscent of drugging and gay conversion therapy, it was still a stupid, anime trope laden support. Is it just "Glorious Nippon is perfect and changing the support is watering down their artistic genius"? Or perhaps it's just paranoia of SJWs ruining their entertainment.

Edited by NekoKnight

Good. From what i hear this game's plot has enough stupid junk in it that i would welcome wholesale plot changes in large portions of the plot if that made it better. Changes to single convos like this are all the more welcome.

Unfortunately I have to agree with everything you've said. It's so hilarious to me how they advertised mature story telling or whatever when they first showcased the game last year. I'm really putting a lot of faith in NoA and I'm actually happy they're changing things. Maybe the story will be slightly more coherent.

Unfortunately I have to agree with everything you've said. It's so hilarious to me how they advertised mature story telling or whatever when they first showcased the game last year. I'm really putting a lot of faith in NoA and I'm actually happy they're changing things. Maybe the story will be slightly more coherent.

I've been wondering for a while if NoA would be willing and able to pull off the localization in such a way that the story is better than the original's. I really hope so, because I want to have a good time. I'm mostly just here for the story and characters, after all. Sounds like they're already making good decisions.

I've been wondering for a while if NoA would be willing and able to pull off the localization in such a way that the story is better than the original's. I really hope so, because I want to have a good time. I'm mostly just here for the story and characters, after all. Sounds like they're already making good decisions.

Right?? I know I'm going to LOVE Fates, but I think it would be awesome if they could pull it off. IMO the original is pretty bad, this one change is already a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I'm also very curious as to how they're going to handle sibling marriages as well.

Right?? I know I'm going to LOVE Fates, but I think it would be awesome if they could pull it off. IMO the original is pretty bad, this one change is already a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I'm also very curious as to how they're going to handle sibling marriages as well.

I think the only thing they really CAN do is try and minimise the creep-factor of the S supports, particularly with the younger siblings and the Hoshido ones. With real-time childbirth time shenanigans Fates really dug itself into a hole for the former, and the entire

"I got a letter from our dead mother and we're not related! Let's get married!"

thing really just makes the supports skeevy so I hope they do SOMETHING (anything) to get rid of or change that.

One thing I can say is that they're not going to remove it. Could you imagine the shitstorm if they did?

Well, obviously judging by the thread so far I'm one of the minority anti-censorship purists, but I'm annoyed by the change. I'm not going to defend the actual quality of the support (because there's not much to be had) but removing things because people don't find them to be comfortable does really set a bad precedent, as several posters here show with renewed objections to Camilla's attire, for example. I doubt this alone will be enough to affect my purchasing of the game, but I've been pretty leery of NoA's localizations of late and this does little to reduce those fears. As it stands, I'll have to wait and see what all has been altered (hopefully very little...) once people have there hands on the product or we get more teaser reveals to decide if I want to vote with my wallet or not.

Yeah... outside of smoking and drinking booze, I'm not even sure that sort of drug use would fly in an M-rated game.

However, considering that NoA likes to involve Internet memes or pop culture references in localizations (they did allow Meme Run on the Wii U eShop before it got taken down due to copyright issues), I can't help but think of NoA somehow involving Illuminati-brand marijuana, Mountain Dew, and Doritos.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Usually I like things staying consistent, but this is a much welcome change, I just hope we don't get another random character personality change (Looks at Henry).

Well, obviously judging by the thread so far I'm one of the minority anti-censorship purists, but I'm annoyed by the change. I'm not going to defend the actual quality of the support (because there's not much to be had) but removing things because people don't find them to be comfortable does really set a bad precedent, as several posters here show with renewed objections to Camilla's attire, for example. I doubt this alone will be enough to affect my purchasing of the game, but I've been pretty leery of NoA's localizations of late and this does little to reduce those fears. As it stands, I'll have to wait and see what all has been altered (hopefully very little...) once people have there hands on the product or we get more teaser reveals to decide if I want to vote with my wallet or not.

Lmao have you read the story though?? I'm much more ashamed of Japan in regards to Fates. It's near unbelievable how terrible it is. At least NoA can do their best and make the game seem more mature and coherent. I understand the fear of losing things in translation, if I like the original work then yes it's something that really bothers me, however Japan REALLY effed up when they were writing this game, seriously. Even the Japanese players can be found complaining about it. Trust me, localization will be good.