Soleil Support Changed in NA/Europe Localization + Shara/Syalla Name Change

stahl_gaius_fan

I can't even imagine NoA being suicidal enough to remove the homosexual romance options, after already leaking that they're in, it would just be a storm of insane proportions. No chance, in my opinion. I think the reason this is changed at all is because there were troublesome accusations of it being "gay conversion" which isn't accurate, but they obviously want to avoid even the veneer of being anti-gay, especially with how much it's been in the media in recent history. Still sad to see them give into fear-mongering, though.

3OWvUk.jpg

I just hope and pray that this is true.

The translation won't help since it's half assed and IK won't even be translated. Plus the translation is inaccurate. Sticking to someone elses vids that has real Japanese knowledge.

We can't just have an anti homosexual game since this is not what society is.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhajat reminds me of Rattata, that's what I'm going to start calling her from now on.

And now I feel tempted to make a Kamui named Joey.

Remember my super cool Rhajat? My Rhajat is different from regular Rhajat. It's like my Rhajat is in the top percentage of all Rhajat!

Normaly this make me angry but...i experience the support conversation and for me is MEH. I don't know is not my favorite support, even becouse after theese i can't know get access (for obvius reson) to Kanna and i don't find Zero intresting has character...at least for me (and don't get me start to the paralogue when you recruit Eponine, i hate that map). So even i screem miracle for the announce Zero is a bisexual character at the same time, to me, i don't make me angry know the Zero S-support with the Male Avatar is not in the European version.

Guys, the gay supports are in, don't worry about it. They not only confirmed it one more time this week, but assured us before the game released in Japan and even before Japan knew there'd be homosexual S supports in Fates. So let's not be doombringers all the time.

Shara

NOPE, BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

Rhajat

There we go! That seems easy to pronounce, more so than Tsubaki and the others.

I never heard of people calling her "Shara" until they announced her localized name. Before that it was always Syalla, since it was supposed to be an anagram, which is what Rhajat is (of Tharja). It has nothing to do with pronunciation.

I just hope and pray that this is true.

The translation won't help since it's half assed and IK won't even be translated. Plus the translation is inaccurate. Sticking to someone elses vids that has real Japanese knowledge.

We can't just have an anti homosexual game since this is not what society is.

This confuses me. What do mean Invisible Kingdom won't be translated? It was confirmed a while ago (I wasn't even aware that there was any doubt that it wouldn't). And that statement was an official statement from NoA; there's no need to hope that it's true.

I believe it's odd that people are against the Soleil conversation, to be honest.

It's not a "gay conversion", Soleil is not homosexual since she cannot marry any female in-game anyway, even if she were, the conversation does not imply anything of the sorts. She's simply her father's child mostly, and a Japanese trope AKA schoolgirl "lesbianism". You'd be right in saying Kamui slipped her the powder without knowing, but you're forgetting first and foremost, what are the main gripes with something like that happening IRL (since everyone's arguing that mostly):

1. Consequences. (E.g. slipping someone drugs can bring side effects that can damage considerably (depending on the dosage), it can also damage other ways like socially)

2. Intent (E.g. "good" or "bad" intent, I'll talk about this point a bit later).

In our case, what are the consequences of slipping Soleil a drug that changes male to female and female to male? Well, none. The drug isn't permanent, (Note, talking about a situation in which she does not know that she was drugged) she'll simply have "weak knees" for "cute" girls that are actually "buff" men for a short period of time.

Let's take intent, from the conversation, Kamui is trying to help Soleil, and immediately tells her that he drugged her (actually, this is stupid in itself, a therapy in which she doesn't know would work better). Soleil has no issue with this, because she knows this is important to her AND Kamui, since it influences her fighting capabilities. So his intent is to do GOOD. There's also another point to bring up here, which I'll bring up later.

The issue with arguing this from a real life point of view is that the drug, unlike most drugs, does not have any side effects. Soleil doesn't seem to suffer in any way, except that now she sees sexes as the reverse, and she's also aware of it because Kamui never had any intention of harming her. Her mental capacity is normal under the drug too, unlike most drugs, again.

So what would the best analogy be for this? Well, if say, Kamui's intent was not "good" but "bad", at most, this would be a childish joke, since the "consequences" of his actions will most likely not harm her in any way. Since there's nothing in real life that can change perception to this degree (accurately and specifically) without any side effects either, I can't give an exact analogy, so I'll make an analogy based on the degree of annoyance and situation.

It would be like slipping someone lots of salt in their drink without them knowing. What you yell after you do that is up to you, just don't go for "It's just a prank, bro.".

Eh, this will probably be like Xenoblade X all over again.

Name is revealed, people complain constantly, but by the time the game comes out, everyone gets used to it and stops complaining.

Yeah its always like that though, with just about every game.

What if they just removed part of it?

Delia?

Delia is nice, but not Hoshidan. It would work if Matoi was Nohrian. Matoi is already an anagram of Cordelia's Japanese name (Tiamo), so....i dont think it would hurt to keep it. Rhajat feels a bit out of place in Hoshido, but ehh i dont mind it that much. Did you guys realize that Luna's localized name is actually Severa's Japanese name?

Does it count as being offended if the support offends me as a writer? Because while I can see why the subject matter of the support is controversial, my bigger problem with the support is that it's just really dumb and poorly written.

Yep :P: I think its icky for all the reasons everyone else thinks its icky, but also because its written like garbage.

I knew that support would change. Like, i really knew it. Im just curious as to if its a full rewrite, or minor editing. Im leaning on the former tbh.

I like how people still think gay marriage in Fates is IS trying to be "progressive", and not realizing it's just Yaoi and Yuri bait to attract more weebs and fujos. You don't even get a Kanna or Eponine (it'd be weird if you could, though).

Having played the game I think they can get by with the Amie thing just by telling the VAs not to moan too much. It's, in fact, very benign and not that pervy at all. the real issue is that it's stupidly tedious. There are only so many lines the characters say and they want you to do it 30 times, FUCKING 30, of them saying the same stock lines over and over in order to unlock everything and nothing you get has any impact on gameplay.

Normaly this make me angry but...i experience the support conversation and for me is MEH. I don't know is not my favorite support, even becouse after theese i can't know get access (for obvius reson) to Kanna and i don't find Zero intresting has character...at least for me (and don't get me start to the paralogue when you recruit Eponine, i hate that map). So even i screem miracle for the announce Zero is a bisexual character at the same time, to me, i don't make me angry know the Zero S-support with the Male Avatar is not in the European version.

I know.

That's what makes him likeable than most characters. Plus he's a kidnapper...too. But...to butcher his S support with the male avatar...D:

Guys, the gay supports are in, don't worry about it. They not only confirmed it one more time this week, but assured us before the game released in Japan and even before Japan knew there'd be homosexual S supports in Fates. So let's not be doombringers all the time.

They did say that.

I hope and pray that this is totally true.

I never heard of people calling her "Shara" until they announced her localized name. Before that it was always Syalla, since it was supposed to be an anagram, which is what Rhajat is (of Tharja). It has nothing to do with pronunciation.

This confuses me. What do mean Invisible Kingdom won't be translated? It was confirmed a while ago (I wasn't even aware that there was any doubt that it wouldn't). And that statement was an official statement from NoA; there's no need to hope that it's true.

Folks here have said it in another topic that there won't be no IK translation.

I believe it's odd that people are against the Soleil conversation, to be honest.

It's not a "gay conversion", Soleil is not homosexual since she cannot marry any female in-game anyway, even if she were, the conversation does not imply anything of the sorts. She's simply her father's child mostly, and a Japanese trope AKA schoolgirl "lesbianism". You'd be right in saying Kamui slipped her the powder without knowing, but you're forgetting first and foremost, what are the main gripes with something like that happening IRL (since everyone's arguing that mostly):

1. Consequences. (E.g. slipping someone drugs can bring side effects that can damage considerably (depending on the dosage), it can also damage other ways like socially)

2. Intent (E.g. "good" or "bad" intent, I'll talk about this point a bit later).

In our case, what are the consequences of slipping Soleil a drug that changes male to female and female to male? Well, none. The drug isn't permanent, (Note, talking about a situation in which she does not know that she was drugged) she'll simply have "weak knees" for "cute" girls that are actually "buff" men for a short period of time.

Let's take intent, from the conversation, Kamui is trying to help Soleil, and immediately tells her that he drugged her (actually, this is stupid in itself, a therapy in which she doesn't know would work better). Soleil has no issue with this, because she knows this is important to her AND Kamui, since it influences her fighting capabilities. So his intent is to do GOOD. There's also another point to bring up here, which I'll bring up later.

The issue with arguing this from a real life point of view is that the drug, unlike most drugs, does not have any side effects. Soleil doesn't seem to suffer in any way, except that now she sees sexes as the reverse, and she's also aware of it because Kamui never had any intention of harming her. Her mental capacity is normal under the drug too, unlike most drugs, again.

So what would the best analogy be for this? Well, if say, Kamui's intent was not "good" but "bad", at most, this would be a childish joke, since the "consequences" of his actions will most likely not harm her in any way. Since there's nothing in real life that can change perception to this degree (accurately and specifically) without any side effects either, I can't give an exact analogy, so I'll make an analogy based on the degree of annoyance and situation.

It would be like slipping someone lots of salt in their drink without them knowing. What you yell after you do that is up to you, just don't go for "It's just a prank, bro.".

They need to learn that it's just a game!

I like how people still think gay marriage in Fates is IS trying to be "progressive", and not realizing it's just Yaoi and Yuri bait to attract more weebs and fujos. You don't even get a Kanna or Eponine (it'd be weird if you could, though).

Having played the game I think they can get by with the Amie thing just by telling the VAs not to moan too much. It's, in fact, very benign and not that pervy at all. the real issue is that it's stupidly tedious. There are only so many lines the characters say and they want you to do it 30 times, FUCKING 30, of them saying the same stock lines over and over in order to unlock everything and nothing you get has any impact on gameplay.

It absolutely is yaoi and yuri bait. I was excited when I saw IS/Nintendo being all "we're getting with the times and being more inclusive" and patting themselves on the back over including gay marriage. But then I saw the actual characters they chose for it are directed at straight people and was like "nope". I don't think I know any gay people that are excited about the options. I personally was the most annoyed that they couldn't have even made a new character for lesbians. Like uh, thanks for the half assed attempt?

It absolutely is yaoi and yuri bait. I was excited when I saw IS/Nintendo being all "we're getting with the times and being more inclusive" and patting themselves on the back over including gay marriage. But then I saw the actual characters they chose for it are directed at straight people and was like "nope". I don't think I know any gay people that are excited about the options. I personally was the most annoyed that they couldn't have even made a new character for lesbians. Like uh, thanks for the half assed attempt?

The only reason I'm excited for Niles is because he's my type. When he was first leaked I was 100% prepared to play as a girl just to marry him. But I agree, honestly. Both Niles and Rhajat are terrible people who are just made to pander to fetishes, and even though I love Niles I honestly want other options. I think that all of the units who choose to follow you regardless of what side should've all been bisexual. Like.. Silas and Kaze are wholly devoted to Corrin. So, why not?

The only reason I'm excited for Niles is because he's my type. When he was first leaked I was 100% prepared to play as a girl just to marry him. But I agree, honestly. Both Niles and Rhajat are terrible people who are just made to pander to fetishes, and even though I love Niles I honestly want other options. I think that all of the units who choose to follow you regardless of what side should've all been bisexual. Like.. Silas and Kaze are wholly devoted to Corrin. So, why not?

Some Japanese people are very homophobic and will dismiss anything that has legit homosexuality in it as a game for fujoshi, afaik. I remember Conquest on 2ch got flak for simply having Zero.

Therefore... yeah... baby steps.

If Kaze was a gay option I would totally go for him, cuz I dislike Midoriko, lol.

I always feel apprehensive when people say "inclusive" or "progressive" in reference to something being included in a video game. I don't feel a game should deserve any more praise for choosing for a character to be a different sexuality. If developers want to include gay characters, that's absolutely fine with me and I do encourage it if it's truly what they want to do. Sometimes it seems like people actually want to pressure developers into throwing in a character who is different from the norm solely for the fact that it would make some happy, without even thinking about why they are doing it.

Of course, I also feel that pairings shouldn't be such a focal point of the series as it is now, so I suppose I can't get what I want either.

Some Japanese people are very homophobic and will dismiss anything that has legit homosexuality in it as a game for fujoshi, afaik. I remember Conquest on 2ch got flak for simply having Zero.

If Kaze was a gay option I would totally go for him, cuz I dislike Midoriko, lol.

Kaze is literal perfection. Totally would've hit that

I understand that baby steps are a thing but also half the characters in Fates are actually gay but none of the writers realize that, you can trust me because I'm a certified homosexual and can smell other gays. Silas and Kaze are totally bi and would get it with m!Corrin.

Yup. Homosexuality is apparently impossible unless you are either a sociopathic pervert or are so unnaturally obsessed with someone that you ignore their gender. Not to mention that both S-Supports include the requisite anime "You do know we're both guys right!?" line. Gay marriage is also objectively worse than straight marriage from a gameplay perspective because you get no kids and Corrin gains no class options that they couldn't gain from an A-Support with the same unit.

Still, so many people are showing interest in Corrin × Niles that I'm certain that any gay material in the future will be less depraved. Fixing Soleil's stupid support is the first step.

Goodness...this thread really has been...ahem...illuminating. ;/

[spoiler=Shara/Rhajat]

Isnt she really into the MU because MU saved her from a Nosferatu in her paralogue? I mean, from what i hear about people who've played, she really doesnt sound like an abusive stalker.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

I understand that baby steps are a thing but also half the characters in Fates are actually gay but none of the writers realize that, you can trust me because I'm a certified homosexual and can smell other gays. Silas and Kaze are totally bi and would get it with m!Corrin.

You are not being serious, right?

..Have you ever seen somebody say "certified homosexual" in a serious tone? Or better yet, "I can smell other gays?" I mean, there is scientific evidence backing up the idea that gays can smell other gays, but.. Really?

Interesting... That's certainly something I didn't know. I'll have to... test it out some time.

I think that if I could make any changes to Fates's pairings, it would just be to allow Silas, Kaze, Azura, and Soleil as candidates. Of course, that really is probably asking a lot from a Japanese company.