Soleil Support Changed in NA/Europe Localization + Shara/Syalla Name Change

stahl_gaius_fan

Regarding Soleil: Having read a translation of the support, there is nothing that I could possibly construe as a conversion. It was merely Kamui trying to be a good friend and trying to help Soleil out, he just did not choose a very good means to do it. He was trying to assist her in her problems with speaking to women, he was encouraging her, not the opposite.

I think there has been a lot of misinterpretation and misleading information out there.

The quote from Nintendo itself doesn't simply says that there will be no conversion or drugging. There was no conversion in the original Japanese to begin with, so that's not a change or censorship. There was a drugging, if that part is changed that's not so bad, perhaps Kamui asking Soleil's permission first before doing so, but I still would not like that to be changed, it's not that bad really and this isn't something that people should be making such a big fuss about.

Thank you for this sensible and well explained article. I agree with most things written here, and you stated things better than I could.

As for Rhajat, it's okay. It sounds too much like "Rat" to me but it does have a nice exotic Indian vibe to it which would have suited Tharja at least.

The problem is the information that got out there was a really bad translation from 4chan, then Tumblr SJWs picked it up and went crazy over it, then it reached the rest of the Fire Emblem fan base. The support was in no way about turning her away from being a lesbian, it was about showing her that she shouldn't look at people as objects to collect, and look at them as someone she wants to be in love with. She really isn't a full lesbian to begin with because the only reason she is hitting on women is because here father, Inigo, was a lady's man. She wants him to be proud of her so she tries imitating what he does. The magic powder part that was used was only minor, and for the most part once Soleil knew about it, which was after the first time, she was completely fine with it, and wanted to use it again.

Like I said though, there was a shit ton of misinformation starting from 4chan, and no one got the true content of the support.

Edited by Tolvir

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Soleil: Having read a translation of the support, there is nothing that I could possibly construe as a conversion. It was merely Kamui trying to be a good friend and trying to help Soleil out, he just did not choose a very good means to do it. He was trying to assist her in her problems with speaking to women, he was encouraging her, not the opposite.

I think there has been a lot of misinterpretation and misleading information out there.

In what way is this a misinterpretation?

Kamui purposely spikes her drink without her consent, this is in no way ever an okay behavior nor is it excusable, good intent or not.

It kind of reminds me of this one time during my teen years when I was at a party with a few friends. At the party there was a quiet girl (I guess she was brought by some friend, and wasn't really feeling the party) that didn't drink alcohol (pretty normal). Now there was a guy that had the ingenious idea to spike her non-alcoholic drinks with alcohol to...make her more social so she could enjoy the party more (in his words).

To make a long story short, it didn't end well for him.

Finally I'll end with a cute reference (10 points for anyone who knows the source):

"I might have spiked her drink, but it was with good intent"

"Oh forgive me and my baseless accusations, please go on and continue to being a non-threatening member of society. You and your desire to be a fictional drugger, you righteous and just individual." - Some dank dude on the internet.

I'm pretty sure Rajat is a guy's name. At least, when I looked it up on wikipedia I only got male results. That said, "Kjelle" is basically the masculine Norwegian name Kjell with an "e" attached to the end of it.

Just a heads up, it's a Nordic European name as in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Germany.

the more you know....

Kamui purposely spikes her drink without her consent, this is in no way ever an okay behavior nor is it excusable, good intent or not.

It kind of reminds me of this one time during my teen years when I was at a party with a few friends. At the party there was a quiet girl (I guess she was brought by some friend, and wasn't really feeling the party) that didn't drink alcohol (pretty normal). Now there was a guy that had the ingenious idea to spike her non-alcoholic drinks with alcohol to...make her more social so she could enjoy the party more (in his words).

Finally I'll end with a cute reference (10 points for anyone who knows the source):

"Oh forgive me and my baseless accusations, please go on and continue to being a non-threatening member of society. You and your desire to be a fictional drugger, you righteous and just individual." - Some dank dude on the internet.

Just a heads up, it's a Nordic European name as in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Germany.

the more you know....

That is the problem though, the misinformation out there is not true at all. Here is the real part of the conversation that was mistranslated.

Soleil: H-Huh!? So I can see you as a girl!!?

Kamui: Yes. After what you said, I wanted to resolve your concerns, so I thought it over a little. And it led me to a conclusion. Seeing me as a girl, you can use me to overcome your issues. From now on I’ll get closer to you until you can tolerate being around me without fainting.

http://cha0ticmusic.tumblr.com/post/123063523790/soleilkamui-support-conversation

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/fire-emblem-fates-info-on-the-soleil-controversy/

The issue that Kamui is talking about isn't the fact that she is attracted to women, in which I went over in my other comment that she really isn't, and that he is trying to help her not faint around women as that can lead to her or others being in danger in battle.

Edited by Tolvir

That is the problem though, the misinformation out there is yes, he put the powder in her drink at first without her knowing, but after she found out she was completely fine with it, was happy that you did it, and wanted to try it again.

That still doesn't make it acceptable behavior. The end doesn't justify the means.

the more you know....

The misinterpretation was people believing that the support had Gay Conversion and Date-Rape implications

Yes, spiking her drink was a shitty thing to do and that's part of the reason why NoA was changing it, but it's a bit of a stretch to compare spiking someone's drink with alcohol (or date-rape drugs for that matter) to making someone see males as females.

Edited by Phillius

Yes, spiking her drink was a shitty thing to do and that's part of the reason why NoA was changing it, but it's a bit of a stretch to compare spiking someone's drink with alcohol (or date-rape drugs for that matter) to making someone see males as females.

Just out of pure curiosity, in what way is this a stretch?

As far as my story, he only wanted her to relax and enjoy the party, there was (to my knowledge) no sexual agenda to his decision, just felt I should make that clear.

Usagi is a cute anagram for Gaius.

Usagi was the first name that came to mind when I though of an anagram for Gaius.

I'm all for it!

I know people are complaing about Rhajat not sounding japanese, but was Syalla a japanese name in the first place? In fact I don't think it's even a real name.

Edited by Water Mage

Rhajat, huh? It's not a bad name or anything. In fact, I don't have a problem with the name at all. I just think it sticks out way too much, like if this was any other FE game then I don't think it would stick out that much but since it's for a character who is supposed to be of Hoshidan origin when all other Hoshidan characters have Japanese-sounding names... It just doesn't fit unless Tsukuyomi and Fuuga's names are now going to be something like Anil and Kavi and the Wind Tribe's cultural references are changed to match that.

I don't have much to say on the Soleil thing since I thought they would do something about her and male!Kamui's support anyway and everyone has already said more then enough on this topic so I don't need to put my any thoughts on here.

I just love how they're talking things about Localization etc but they won't talk about relese date for EU, preety legit :S

I feel your pain, it's pretty sad that it's itching ever so close to NA release and not a single word on EU release.

Just out of pure curiosity, in what way is this a stretch?

As far as my story, he only wanted her to relax and enjoy the party, there was (to my knowledge) no sexual agenda to his decision, just felt I should make that clear.

Because alcohol (ethanol specifically) is a drug that has been scientifically proven to have a number of impairing effects on the body's ability to function, including poorer judgement and decision-making skills, impaired motor control, vomiting, confusion, disorientation ETC. Not only that, but it has been proven many, many times that alcohol intoxication, even in minor cases, can lead to crippling or even fatal accidents. Just go onto google and look up how many people have made stupid decisions because of the negative effects alcohol has on judgement/decision-making and severely hurt themselves or others, or how many people have killed someone because they decided that they're not that drunk and perfectly capable of driving home, or even how many people have passed out and choked to death on their own vomit. Here, let me tell you a story now; there's a friend of a friend I know who got drunk and had his drivers license suspended for:

a) driving home drunk

b) doing almost, potentially more than three times the speed limit (140+ in a 50 zone)

and c) driving down the wrong side of the fucking road

It's a miracle that he didn't get himself killed (and a part of me kind of wishes he did). That it was alcohol does to people.

Now let me ask you this, what effect does this powder have on people other than making people see men as women? Does it cause anything to happen to Soleil other than what Kamui said it would? No. It's not a powerful drug with well-documented side-effects, it's a freakin' novelty item! It doesn't even change the sound of their voices! If it had been used in a support by Orochi, or Lissa from Awakening, or whoever the hell you want as a prank. Like tricking someone into believing they'd entered an alternate reality where everyone's gender was reversed, would you be comparing it to spiking someone's drink with alcohol? No, it'd be a prank. More like spiking someone's tea with salt or lacing their food with ground-up chili peppers than anything else. Would they be a dickhead for doing that? Yes. I would definitely be mad (if only for wasting perfectly good tea), but I would in no way make any comparisons to an attempted drugging with alcohol or Rohypnol.

Edited by Phillius

Well, I hated Tharja in Awakening, so this name change means NOTHING to me if they don't fix all the issues I had with the original's personality, but I doubt they will because fanservice.

For the most part, the name changes don't bother me, likely because I'm spoiler free, so I never got used to them in the first place.

Seriously tho, why couldn't Gregor and Tiki win that fricken Japanese poll, instead of FLIPPING Tharja

Whose name got changed to Rhajat? or was that someone's name already and they changed it to something else.

Syalla's, or Shara's, name is currently localized to be Rhajat. She is the Tharja expy who can be romanced by a female Kamui, or Corrin, in this case.

Edited by Raumata

Syalla's, or Shara's, name is currently localized to be Rhajat. She is the Tharja expy who can be romanced by a female Kamui, or Corrin, in this case.

and she's daughter of Tsukoyomi, don't forget that~

That is an Indian name though, how does that make sense? Odd choice of naming there.

That is an Indian name though, how does that make sense? Odd choice of naming there.

Rhajat is the anagram of Tharja, a character from the FE Awakening game.

It's like switching the letters of the word "evil" around to spell "vile".

That's how I chose to understand the name change, though you may reach a different understanding.

Edited by Raumata

To be fair, Shara isn't a japanese name either, I did some research and it's actually a name of hebrew origin.

So either way, Tsukuyomi's daughter doesn't have a japanese name.

Edited by Water Mage

I don't understand why people thinks Kamui drugs Soleil. I mean, it's magic powder. MAGIC. Yes she didn't know, but it's not like he gives her something bad. It's not alcohol neither. It's magic, like a cast, but Kamui isn't a sorcerer. It's more like you give at your friend something spicy with her food for a joke than a drug to rape her. Or it can even be compared to medicine in this case.

(besides I recall you are in a game were you kill people)

Censoring is bad anyway, because if you let translators do what they want, they'll censor also good points. Changing one aspect of the game would not change de writing of the story who is bad. The game is already published in Japan, and changing one thing into the occidental versions will not change the new spirit of the franchise, who is more and more fanservice.

Some people consider Opium to be Magic Seeds, and Cocaine to be Magic Powder.

He gave her something, involuntarily, which forced hallucinations. That's a Drug, man.