What Exactly Is Up With Setsuna

Vashiane

This thread is Exactly What It Says On The Tin.

Now, while the Fire Emblem wikia is a good source of information, it's not exactly something you'd call reliable as it can be edited freely and this is about a game that's not out in English yet. However, on said wikia, Setsuna's profile goes a little something like this, and I'm itching to find out if this has some actual merit.

Setsuna was born to a noble house in Hoshido and is a subordinate of Hinoka. In her household, she had everything she could have wanted, resulting in her lacking any sort of excitement in her life. One day, Setsuna was accidentally caught in a hunting trap. Despite the inconvenience, Setsuna found such excitement in the event, noting that it was the first time in her life that she felt alive. To this day, Setsuna regularly gets herself caught in traps, though often needs Hinoka or Asama to bail her out of them.

This seems to imply that Setsuna deliberately seeks out the traps she constantly falls into for the thrill of it. The problem is, though, that she often can't get herself out of them, which adds a whole new aspect to her personality that isn't just "complete and utter space case who is somehow competent enough to not die".

So basically I'm just wondering if there's actual in-game proof of her intent to fall into this traps and what y'all think about this, really. Discourse away, friends.

I don't really remember much from the game (Hoshido was the first play through I watched and that was months ago..)

But I remember in Fire Emblem Cipher one of Setsuna's artworks had her caught up in a trap:

B02-019_N-thumb-240xauto-1693.jpg So I'm sure there is some truth to that statement from the Wikia :o:

This thread is Exactly What It Says On The Tin.

Now, while the Fire Emblem wikia is a good source of information, it's not exactly something you'd call reliable as it can be edited freely and this is about a game that's not out in English yet. However, on said wikia, Setsuna's profile goes a little something like this, and I'm itching to find out if this has some actual merit.

This seems to imply that Setsuna deliberately seeks out the traps she constantly falls into for the thrill of it. The problem is, though, that she often can't get herself out of them, which adds a whole new aspect to her personality that isn't just "complete and utter space case who is somehow competent enough to not die".

So basically I'm just wondering if there's actual in-game proof of her intent to fall into this traps and what y'all think about this, really. Discourse away, friends.

Thanks for letting us know.

She is very timid and naive. But...to this level...hoo hoping that Nintendo doesn't change her in the localized versions. Editing out the bear trapping scenarios. Heads will roll if they make Hoshido/Birthright more rebellious to Nohr when they are supposed to be carefree and devoid of evil!

Edited by Lin_Lee_Koo

I think we've stumbled on a SLIGHT misunderstand here folks, sorry about that.

While yes, this is information I can find on the wikia (actually it's stated twice), I was informed that not everything on the wikia is 100% accurate so to clarify, I made this topic asking if anyone HAD found canon evidence of this, not that this IS canon evidence.

Note to self, Vash, English better. ;;; Sorry if I confused anyone!

I think we've stumbled on a SLIGHT misunderstand here folks, sorry about that.

While yes, this is information I can find on the wikia (actually it's stated twice), I was informed that not everything on the wikia is 100% accurate so to clarify, I made this topic asking if anyone HAD found canon evidence of this, not that this IS canon evidence.

Note to self, Vash, English better. ;;; Sorry if I confused anyone!

It's alright.

It's all that we've got for the time being. I'd take their information along with real Japanese knowledge over that half assed translation patch.

It's alright.

It's all that we've got for the time being. I'd take their information along with real Japanese knowledge over that half assed translation patch.

See, here's the thing.

Do we have actual Japanese knowledge confirming that? And if we do, I'd sure love to see it just to confirm it's a thing. I'm in no way spoiler-free about Fates but there's a lot I know nothing about still so I'm a bit clueless.

See, here's the thing.

Do we have actual Japanese knowledge confirming that? And if we do, I'd sure love to see it just to confirm it's a thing. I'm in no way spoiler-free about Fates but there's a lot I know nothing about still so I'm a bit clueless.

Only thing we can do is hope that people who knows Japanese can put the videos up with subtitles. It's all that we can do to know the real truth to some things since the game is going to get edited and changed some.

Well, in the Hoshido Anthology there is chapter in which Hinoka request Takumi and Setsuna to go hunting, and Setsuna keep falling in the traps. She talks a bit about it with Takumi, but as I don't understand too much japanese, I don't know if it have information about your question

Here is a page from that chapter:

LvoEz8f.jpg

Edited by SniperGYS

It's not relevant to the plot because Setsuna is not relevant to the plot. However, when two units are talking to each other in My Castle and someone asks Setsuna what she does in her free time, she says she just heads into the nountains to fall into traps.

I read through all her 1st gen supports but didn't find anything that points to her doing it on purpose. Some things that may be of interest though...

In her support with Mamui, she says that getting caught in traps doesn't bother her that much because she's sure that Hinoka will come to save her. In the S rank, she says that she'll be troubled if she doesn't fall in traps anymore, since it means Mamui won't come to her aid.

In Takumi's support, she says that his hunting trap that she got caught in was cramped, dark and calming like a futon.

In other supports, she does mention that it's not as if she likes traps, and refers to herself as unlucky, clumsy and dumb, so it doesn't really seem like she likes it.

However, in My Castle, she does say something like "I have free time... Would have been nice to get caught in a trap..." but also "I hope I don't get caught in a trap during the next fight". To S ranked MU she says "Thanks to you, the chance of me falling into traps has greatly decreased" and when it's a support increasing convo, "I'm happy but embarrassed, if there were a hole I'd like to hide in it".

So to me it seems like she isn't doing it on purpose and does ask others to help her out of it, yet doesn't mind it that much, or maybe even finds it comfortable? But yeah she's a noble, and spent her days just stoning in her castle, using her bow everyday, until Hinoka saw her, asked her to become her retainer, and Setsuna just somehow agreed.

Edited by bearaby

Are you telling me there is a character whose gimmick is purposely falling into traps?

What even

In her support with Mamui, she says that getting caught in traps doesn't bother her that much because she's sure that Hinoka will come to save her. In the S rank, she says that she'll be troubled if she doesn't fall in traps anymore, since it means Mamui won't come to her aid.

That's one more character to the bench.

Edited by Book Bro

Someone needs to draw a Yugioh character saying "You activated my trap card" and show a picture of Setsuna swooning.

I wish I could art, so I could do this

Eh, it's not the stupidest gimmick I've seen in this series, and it honestly sounds like something I'd get a laugh out of, so I may like this chick.

I read through all her 1st gen supports but didn't find anything that points to her doing it on purpose. Some things that may be of interest though...

In Takumi's support, she says that his hunting trap that she got caught in was cramped, dark and calming like a futon.

In other supports, she does mention that it's not as if she likes traps, and refers to herself as unlucky, clumsy and dumb, so it doesn't really seem like she likes it.

However, in My Castle, she does say something like "I have free time... Would have been nice to get caught in a trap..." but also "I hope I don't get caught in a trap during the next fight". To S ranked MU she says "Thanks to you, the chance of me falling into traps has greatly decreased" and when it's a support increasing convo, "I'm happy but embarrassed, if there were a hole I'd like to hide in it".

So to me it seems like she isn't doing it on purpose and does ask others to help her out of it, yet doesn't mind it that much, or maybe even finds it comfortable? But yeah she's a noble, and spent her days just stoning in her castle, using her bow everyday, until Hinoka saw her, asked her to become her retainer, and Setsuna just somehow agreed.

Oh! Oh, okay I see then.

So it's a bit like Harold... er, Arthur, and his terrible luck. At this point they're just used to it.

Got ya! Thanks a ton!