Out of These FF Games, Which One Should I Get?

CooledEvergreen

Which of These FF Games Should I Get First?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which One?

• FF1
    • FF2
    • FF3
    • FF4
    • FF5
    • FF6
    • FF8
    • FF9

Right now, the PSN is having a sale where you can purchase FF1-FF9 at a reduced price. I've been wanting to get into the series for a while, and I thought this would be a good time to start. As someone who is a complete newbie to FF and has already bought FF7, which of these FF games should I get first?

Like everyone here, 6 or 9 are your best bets.

9 is generally considered by actual critics (and not fans) as the best game in the series (based on gameplay, graphics, story and music during its existence). Yeah, even better than the mighty 7 (which is really only liked for its nostalgia at this point). As for VI, it's relatively easy, has an excellent story and lots of different characters to choose from.

Buy 7 or 5. I dislike 9 and don't care for 6, so I wouldn't recommend them.

7 is a classic, and 5 has the best gameplay in the entire series.

Alternatively, you could probably find a copy of 13 for like 5 dollars or easily get X/X-2 HD. I'd recommend them as well.

Since you're not very familiar with Final Fantasy, I'd suggest IV to start off. You can't really mess yourself over with wrong character setups or anything like that, finding out where to go next is much easier compared to most Final Fantasy games due to the game being very linear in terms of finding your next location, and level grinding is hardly needed as long as you don't run from battles too often (and job/AP grinding isn't an issue at all).

IV would be easier to get through but VI has a more interesting story/cast I feel. IX has some kind of good story as well.

But if you get IV you might as well get the complete story and get After Years for a full story experience....

i hate 4

that's all I can really say on the subject

so much of it is super tedious and also the story is bad and it feels like you're playing the same game over and over

a pretty decent game, but it's not fun playing it over and over

that's just me and most people I know like 4 but I don't

i've never finished a final fantasy so I won't comment on any others

I personnally started with IV and VI followed by V. Each are excellent games and you can't really go wrong (This FFIV comes with its sequel and an Interlude between the original and TAY. I'm no fan of TAY, but you have more content)

I haven't finished IX, because on my Vita it's slow as hell. All the rest is pretty excellent, especially the music.

There's a steam releases with a few adjustment, so wait for it instead, I'll say.
FFVII is good, though you already know the main twist now.

I, II, and III I'll avdise against.

FF2 - where you really do need a map, unless you want to randomly end up in a place where the monsters are strong enough to kill you just by looking at you.

I think Firion's funny, but I don't think he's beginner-friendly.

FF2 - where you really do need a map, unless you want to randomly end up in a place where the monsters are strong enough to kill you just by looking at you.

I think Firion's funny, but I don't think he's beginner-friendly.

Unless you spent hours hitting yourself punching yourself (I think the remake removed this option, but I can't confirm)

Yeah, FF2 is quite unforgiving, and different from most game (It is the spiritual ancestor of SaGa... Which means it's rougher.)

You can easily find yourself in deep trouble, even if you have good understanding of RPGs.

I won't advise for FF3 (the original, not 6 in the US) either. The original is quite old, and the Remake is hard as hell.

No save in dungeon, limited and archaic MP Pool, and an extremely restrictive Job System.

I couldn't finish the game without cheating...

I like V. It's not too tough, the Job System is fun to play with, and it doesn't take itself seriously so it's a wild ride through and through.

This.

A lot of people say stuff like "FF6 and FF4 are great for newcomers to the series" but I can argue that 5 is even better for newcomers, as the story is much simpler, I consider the game to be a bit easier than other FFs, and it contains the job system, allowing players to be more selective on how they play the game, and it's not like FF3 where the game can be difficult early on. Plus, 3 of the playable characters are 3 of my favorite FF characters so that's also a plus.

V is underrated, pretty much.

Oh FFV is a fantastic game that doesn't nearly enough attention, it would be my favorite FF if FFIV's DS version wasn't a thing. I don't think it's the best first game though.

For someone's second or third FF? Definitely.

Edited by DavidSW

I don't think being beginner friendly is really important here. You probably can get into any of them fine (as long as they don't bore you out)

Besides, if you have already purchased FFVII, you could start with it very well.

As for another, I second the people recommending V, it's really fun.

And because I feel kinda sorry I will add that I really liked VIII too.

Finally, I will recommend against FFVI because... I didn't like it much.

A lot of people say stuff like "FF6 and FF4 are great for newcomers to the series" but I can argue that 5 is even better for newcomers, as the story is much simpler, I consider the game to be a bit easier than other FFs, and it contains the job system, allowing players to be more selective on how they play the game, and it's not like FF3 where the game can be difficult early on. Plus, 3 of the playable characters are 3 of my favorite FF characters so that's also a plus.

V is underrated, pretty much.

Sorry, but with a good amount of boss battles that are near impossible if you have the wrong team setup (like the Purobolos group, Omniscient, the Pig Triplets Phobos, Nereid, and Triton), random encounters that are really grueling and tough for novices of the Final Fantasy series (especially the Red Dragon and all the zombie status inflicters), and being a game where a first-timer would practically want a guide for the whole thing regarding how to approach many boss battles and how to level up characters job-wise (as opposed to Final Fantasy IV, VI, and VII where you'll still have an easy time making it through the game without game guides, since a majority of the bosses in those games can be defeated with practically any team/magic setup) I have to disagree.
Even after defeating the game at least 3 times already (and getting a 100% Bestiary in the Advance Version and completing the Cloister of the Dead), I still find certain areas like Exdeath's Castle, The Barrier Tower, and The Great Sea Trench to be very tedious and cruel areas in regards to the random encounters. And yeah, I know that for the boss battles that are impossible with the wrong team setup, you can just reset, but I find it to be bad game design when you're stuck in a battle like the Purobolos battle and you didn't bring any magic casters and you have to reset or kill off your team because you didn't know what was coming up and there's no way to back out of it without quitting the game. Being underlevelled in a situation like that is one thing (especially if the player has been intentionally stinging out on experience), but the game being that demanding on having a very specific kind of team is another thing. It doesn't help that there's more instances of those kind of situations in Final Fantasy V than in any other Final Fantasy game. At least things like having all dragoons for Garuda or all magic casters for the Tower of Kefka were one-time deals in their respective games.
I apologize if I sound like I'm bashing on Final Fantasy V, but the point I'm trying to get at is that it's not as beginner friendly as you make it out to be. I do agree with David about it being a good game to play for his 3rd Final Fantasy and onward. I do enjoy the game and really like the job system and all the possibilities with it (I know I really enjoyed having fighters who could heal and revive or mages that could do heavy physical damage and be useful in random encounters).
Edited by Randoman

I don't think being beginner friendly is really important here. You probably can get into any of them fine (as long as they don't bore you out)

Besides, if you have already purchased FFVII, you could start with it very well.

As for another, I second the people recommending V, it's really fun.

And because I feel kinda sorry I will add that I really liked VIII too.

Finally, I will recommend against FFVI because... I didn't like it much.

FFVIII is probably really great, but the awkward controls makes it hard for me to continue playing it (Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to completely disturb the way we're used to play for no good reasons.)...

FFV is really great and fun. Definitely worth playing.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll be interrested if you developped your opinion.

Don't get an NES game, they haven't aged well. Similarly, don't start with FE8, it weird and quirky.

You can't really go wrong with any of FF4-6, FF9 though. I'd say FF6 is probably one of the best - if not the best - RPG games ever, so if you're looking to start with the best one, I'd say that's probably a good choice.

Otherwise, FF5 gives you a really classic FF/RPG feel, so pick that one if you want to experience what the original NES games were like but with an actually good story and decent graphics. FF4 and FF9 are great because of their stories, not exceptional gameplay (though it's not bad either), but they're still awesome games. FF6 has both, so yeah.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll be interrested if you developped your opinion.

So basically, the problem I have with FFVI is that it starts too slowly, both in gameplay and story and it... well, bored me out.

As for FFV and FFVIII, I like customizing my party and those two allow that the most.

That's basically it.