The Weekly "Vicar of Music" Thread

Esme

Yo!

Earlier today, a notable SF user had an excellent idea: Why don't we make a thread in which we vote for a user who will post one song daily for a week? I, along with several others, thought this was a pretty neat idea. Unfortunately, this user seemed to be plagued by laziness, so I volunteered to create the thread for him-- and you guys!

So here's how this is gonna work:

[spoiler=THE RULES. PLEASE READ THEM.]1. Throughout each week, we shall vote for a user. The user who receives the most votes in that time period will be dubbed the Weekly Vicar of Music.

2. The Vicar will be tasked with posting one song every day for a week.

3. The Vicar may talk about the song, the genre, why they like it, etc. Others may discuss the song, too, of course.

4. In the meantime, other users may vote for who they want to be the next Weekly Vicar of Music.

5. I, Esme, will keep track of the votes. No need to worry!

6. Preferably, the Vicar should put his or her song in a spoiler tag for the sake of making things look neat.

7. In order to vote, simply make your text blue and bold and type out who you wanna vote for.

Also, here's two small things that I encourage:

a. The Vicar must try his or her best to make their seven-song selection as diverse as possible. This is to ensure that we do not get bored.

b. BE NICE, WIENERS.

[spoiler=Vicar Hall of Fame]Esme (Pages 1 - 2)

I might add more rules in the future if necessary, but I think I got all my bases covered. Anyway, let's get this started! I'll be this week's Vicar so we can get things started.

Edited by Esme

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler="All I Wanted Was the Moon" -- Josephine Foster]

I'll start this thread with one of my most favorite songs of all time. It's by Josephine Foster. She's a guitarist (And apparently a harmonica... ist (?), too!) who plays folk-y stuff. This song in particular is kinda psychadelic.

Again, it's one of my favorites and I hope you all enjoy it.

spoilers do not reduce loading times but even so, spoilers make it look neater

i will be listening \o/

h-haha let's just forget I said that

[spoiler="All I Wanted Was the Moon" -- Josephine Foster]

I'll start this thread with one of my most favorite songs of all time. It's by Josephine Foster. She's a guitarist (And apparently a harmonica... ist (?), too!) who plays folk-y stuff. This song in particular is kinda psychadelic.

Again, it's one of my favorites and I hope you all enjoy it.

this is a great fuckin song, i remember you recommended her to me a couple times but i never got around to getting something from her but you just convinced me to try. where do you think i should start?

this is a great fuckin song, i remember you recommended her to me a couple times but i never got around to getting something from her but you just convinced me to try. where do you think i should start?

I first listened to her song "I Am a Guest In Here". From there, I found "Little Life" and decided to give her album "Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You" a listen. I'd recommend listening to that one first, if only because I did.

The one I posted is particularly unique. I don't recall any of her other songs being quite like it.

Edited by Esme

thanks, im gonna give it a spin

If you like her, definitely check out Karen Dalton and Cat Power. Karen's more similar to Josephine, but is more bluegrass, while Cat Power's kinda got a more modern sound.

this is a cool idea i will listen because i need more music

I'm hoping this thread will introduce people to a lot of new music.

_____

Anyway, tallying up the votes:

Parrhesia: 4

Fuccboi: 1

Also, here's Monday's song:

[spoiler=To the East -- Electrelane]

This band is composed of four ladies from the UK, and they are awesome. They've got catchy songs like this one, to much harder rock songs like "Take the Bit Between Your Teeth" and even some more interesting ones like "I Keep Losing Heart" and "The Valleys" which have choir singing.

Edited by Esme

This is a fantastic idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what people end up sharing! Of course what's been shared thus far is also great, especially the Josephine Foster one. top notch

Voting Parrhesia

This is a fantastic idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what people end up sharing! Of course what's been shared thus far is also great, especially the Josephine Foster one. top notch

Glad you liked that one!

Here's a new one:

[spoiler=Janet -- New Look]

This husband-and-wife duo is funky as hell, and the vocalist is incredibly good. Also, their songs are pretty damn catchy. Definitely one of my favorite artists.