The Weekly "Vicar of Music" Thread

Esme

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I completely forgot to post a song yesterday. Sorry 'bout that.

As a token of apology, you guys get two songs to enjoy today:

[spoiler=Goldmund - The Sonora Pine]

These guys disbanded a while ago, but the two (iirc) albums/EPs they did release are pretty great. A lot of their songs are this chill kinda rock with violins and somewhat drowned-out vocals, but they do have one song that's more ambient than the rest. I believe it's called "The Owl's Nest". It's got chimes and wind and it's really atmospheric.

[spoiler=Banana Shake - Humming Urban Stereo]

I love this artist! Dunno if this counts as k-pop or whatever, but all his stuff is awesome. Definitely the kind of music you'd play if you wanna dance.

Good stuff, good stuff. I checked out The Owl's Nest after listening to the first two and really liked it; I'm a sucker for more ambient music.

Me, too. I'll probably post an ambient song tomorrow.

I am forcibly taking over this thread because noted user Esme is an idiot and can't be trusted

Parrhesia is now the Vicar

My bad! I forgot about this thread. What a shameful Vicar I turned out to be.

Hopefully my last two songs will make up for it:

[spoiler=What Are We Waiting For? - Amiina]

[spoiler=Time, as a Symptom - Joanna Newsom]

I hereby declare Parrhesia to be the next Vicar of Music. He has procured five votes in total-- more than anyone else --thereby I deem him fit for the position.

Edited by Esme

HELLO

my Vicarage is set to be furious and powerful
I will take you through a shitton of my aesthetic during this
fucking
prepare

97b35e560205d8ec3b9ad92fefd34364.png

Look; I just really like this song, okay? I really like Kanye West and my aesthetic is when people think every Kanye West song is literally a song about Kanye West, because people don't fucking listen to lyrics.

This is a great song. At least for now, it's my favourite of West's. Ironically enough, it's the only one that the music video of has an epilepsy warning attached...

I looked up the video out of curiosity, and they certainly delivered with the lights

That aside, I like it. It's also the first song in the thread I've heard before but it bears listening to multiple times

e3e381d990cf2894cd1b71aedd9e6aed.png

The greatest of Christmas songs, a heartwarming tale of Irish-American love. My current probably first love is folk, and particularly Celtic strains of it were my first real experience with the genre (such as it is) before I expanded my horizons (which, in TYOOL 2010, were pretty narrow).

Also my vote for the next Vicar remains fuccboi.

b6be89b73a6df531b4126ac01a224608.png

Look. Sometimes you just need a song that makes you happy. This, for me, is that song, and it makes me think of Englishmen crying while Germans beat them in penalty shootouts. How can you not love that?

Good afternoon, thread. Today, I'm going to cheat.

0791ac21afc09aca7400127174289e4b.pngand also the dubliners !!

Whiskey in the Jar is an Irish folk song concerning the capture of a thief. Irish rock band Thin Lizzy, a good bad in general, made what I feel is my best song when they covered it. Right now, I'm feeling happy just listening to it, since I'm also in the kind of mood where I want to set the government on fire. Yet again, this concerns earlier music tastes, and this song is reassuring reminder that, hell, at least something I liked in 2008 is still good.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoiF7Qket_k

I think the more traditional rendition covered by a folk band, the Dubliners, is also worth a listen. Maybe not right after the other, I dunno. Pick one and come back to the other a day later. For what it's worth, the lyrics (the chorus is in Gaelic) are significantly clearer in this version.

To people who play ROM hacks, Do5's Captain Farrell was directly named for this song.

"ciaran too many of your songs are about football"
FUCK YOU

202372657e6a387f4f67dab975efa90e.png

A celebration of one of the world's greatest ever footballers who ended his career by nutting someone. Brilliant. I'm counting this as different to World in Motion because it's more about the sport itself than just singing happy things while happening to have (tearful failures of) English internationals behind them.

This is also precisely half the songs I know where a full extended version exists easily on Youtube and it's vastly inferior. (The other is The New Workout Plan. What the fuck even is the full uncut music video to that?)

Can't relate to the football aspects of the football anthems, but they're still fun songs and I really like the video on the second one, lol. As for the two different renditions of Whiskey in the Jar, I preferred the more traditional version- I'm a sucker for familiar things and Irish folk music happens to be one of those for me.

b153779337605d906920aa766e7a8b92.png

Look, vapourwave isn't normally my aesthetic, but if I have to do some really boring and mundane activity while being hyped by background noises, well, it's good at that. I'd do a fucking exam to this given the chance. And, hell, sometimes I'm just in the mood for it. Some music fits some days.

Tomorrow's the finale, and we're going back to basics. Stay tuned, and all.

And thus it ends; not with a whimper, but with
4f9d9530f0ef352ab939fce907c7ffcc.png

Mermaid Avenue was a compilation of songs written by Woody Guthrie - there were dozens of them found after his death, with lyrics and tempo but no music. So one of his descendants commissioned Billy Bragg, a working-class UK folk singer, and Wilco, some Canadians, to set these songs to music and release them. These albums - three volumes were released - are probably the most important albums to me personally. And this is maybe my favourite song in the world.

And, with that, I'm pretty sure the torch passes to fuccboi because I don't think anyone else got more than one vote.