The Weekly "Vicar of Music" Thread

Esme

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just say go for it now, as it's been 2 days since any song's been posted. Plus it'd be cool to get someone new in here for a change.

Edited by Disinnocence

So here is a blues song called St James Infirmary:

So I don't actually listen to blues a whole lot, but my dad gave me a blues mixtape (I guess? a customized CD with about 26 tracks) for my birthday back when I was in middle school or high school with this song on it. I don't actually know where that CD is. I don't even know if Josh White is the guy who sung the version of that song on that CD, but I like his version a lot!

According to wikipedia the origin of this folk song is actually from England, and Louis Armstrong's version is very well known.

I just love the way the singer takes the tradition of singing about lost love in the blues and extends it to death, not just mourning the passage of his lover, but actually singing as though her death is a form of skipping out on him. I did a little looking around, and other/earlier versions of the song imply or state that the woman and/or singer contracted or died of venereal disease, suggesting an affair prior to the death. But this song actually implies the man sees the woman as intentionally abandoning him by dying. I think. Feel free to share contrary thoughts.

I also like the music itself, but I don't really have enough of a musical background to say why. I just think the guitar sounds really good.

Edited by PP UP

Next up!

Mose Allison has a very laconic and ironic style, comes across as very witty and silly, I like listening to him a lot. He's about 89 and I believe he's still performing, I saw him perform twice, but it's been some years (I think I saw him perform sometime around 2007-2011 or 12).

...When I first listened to him I figured he was a black guy but he's a white guy.

I assume the song is about a 7th son of a 7th son but maybe the real reason he's special is because he's as special as a 7th son of a 7th son despite only being a 7th son of a 1st through 6th son.

Bonus track?

Also about a son with special powers. But country/folky not jazzy.

as long as we don't elect a mortal capable of dying midweek like a total klutz (r.i.p. pp up) we should be fine? tbh the thread only loses momentum when we try to install outsider candidates who don't get off on flaunting their eclectic tastes like we regulars do

what if electing vicars from the same kiddie pool of oligarchical music dorks every few weeks is cool and good

hell yeah, i'd totally be down for that endless circlejerk because it gives purpose to my life, but it still sucks that whenever someone new steps up, it doesn't go down well, so if receding back into the old general music discussion thread would be more convenient, then i guess that's fine, but either way would be decent. (being vaguely indecisive again)

also, if we end up sticking to this thread, should we come up with some sort of rotation or just vote whoever whenever?

Yeah, I reckon we might have come to the end of the natural life cycle of 'post music every day for a week' because everyone's submitted at least 15 songs by now - instead I'm thinking a new, open 'someone posts music every day' thread, and it's just whoever's first on a given day gets to, well, post music. Don't think closing the circle will help - particularly since, speaking personally, I'm kind of running out of suitable submissions. If I were Vicar again I'd definitely have to duplicate artists, which I've already sort of done.

I'll put the new thread's songs in the Vicar of Music playlist, though.

I'm happy to make the thread if this is the agreed course of action.

Edited by Parrhesia

a 'someone posts music every day' thread ("The Daily 'Usurper of Music' Thread"? "The Daily 'Anarchist of Music' Thread"?) with no voting is the move. people who wanna share a banger, but can't/dunwanna commit to banging a variety of musicians 7 days at a time while we look on, judging, will be more likely to post. having nodded my way through all this /thread sentiment, seems i agree