Translation patches

VincentASM

Thats wut you were talking about I was trying to use the English patch to hard-patch the Japanese version of the game. I can't soft-patch it cuz its a .srl file and the only gba emulators that read .srl don't work on soft-patching right now I'm getting feedback on the site that gave me the file on how to chaing that but your help is still nice. I hope this info can help I'm not actually good at explaining stuff. lol

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its alright, I was sort of in a hurry before so I didn't realise I hadn't properly explained myself ^^;;;

You need to use the American version of the game/ROM. The patch will change it to the Japanese Prototype version.

Also, it probably doesn't matter anymore, but .SRL and .GBA files are the same thing (I think .SRL is the official name though). You can just remove the .SRL extension and change it to .GBA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Um, so I got the ROM of Thracia 776.. and I tried to use the patch, but none of the versions worked. When I use either ROM or HIROM both just show up as a black screen, and when I use the NP version, it loads, but with a yellow, glitchy-looking screen, and it goes to the title, and doesn't load from there. And when I don't use any of the patches, the game works just fine. Also, I couldn't find out what version of the game I had. Either I wasn't looking in the right place, or the site(coolrom.com)doesn't show it. So I don't know, and help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rangerred

4,097 Kb.

And by the way, I am also having problems with Gaiden. Nothing really happens, and I did the soft-patching with it, but each time I load the game, it's still in Japanese, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I also tried to check if my emulator(fceuxd)was enabled for patching, but I couldn't find where that was, so I don't even know if my emulator can do that... I am at such a loss.. lol, again, thanks in advance for any help for this one as well.

4,097 Kb sounds about right, but can you tell me how many bytes exactly that is (eg. 4,192,082)? Also, can you send me a screenshot of the opening title, with the company name, dates and everything?

For FE2, I'm guessing your emulator doesn't support soft-patching. You'll want to try a patching program like ISPWin or LunarIPS (remember to keep a backup of your ROM in case it doesn't work).

I was referring to when it shows the "Fire Emblem" logo, but that will do I suppose.

Hmm, isn't that a FE4 ROM? Weren't we trying to patch FE5 before? In any case, it seems like your emulator supports auto-patching.

Judging by the size of the ROM, your ROM has a header, so it should patch fine (if you're patching FE4 that is). If you're definitely sure that's FE5 (or have a FE5 ROM with the exact same file size), use the HI-ROM patch.

Edited by VincentASM

You've got the Chinese fan translated ROM; you need the Japanese ROM.

For reference, the original Japanese ROM doesn't have any spash images. The title screen also looks like this (I can't remember what the Chinese title screen looks like, but I remember it looks fairly different).

Edited by VincentASM

• 1 month later...

Sorry if the solution is stupid simple, since I don't know if anyone's been having similar problems...

I've been trying to run FE3 with a patch for a couple hours now-- I tried three different emulators (one just crashes during battle sequences with or without the patch, like the readme file said, so that's a no-go). When I load the game unpatched on either emulator, it runs fine; one one, when I try to run it patched, one just gives me a black screen while the other can get to the title screen, but nothing past that (I get something like a black screen/static, I guess?). I tried both versions of the patch and nothing's changed; I tried hard-patching the ROM and trying that once-- would it make a difference even though the emulators are able to soft-patch?

Tried another ROM, same results. Should I just keep trying different combinations of ROMs and patch versions or is there a less headache-inducing solution?

• 5 months later...

Hello, I'm having a similar problem to Rangerred, I've tried patching at least 5 or 6 different roms for Fire Emblem 5 and they are Japanese versions, when the patch isn't present they run fine, when it is I just get a black screen and nothing happens. Help please.

Hello, I'm having a similar problem to Rangerred, I've tried patching at least 5 or 6 different roms for Fire Emblem 5 and they are Japanese versions, when the patch isn't present they run fine, when it is I just get a black screen and nothing happens. Help please.

What's the typical size of the ROM in bytes?

Edited by VincentASM

There's a few things I'd like to check right now, but I don't yet have time. So before that:

1) Are you using the latest version 0006 patch (the one found here?

2) Have you tried using the HIROM version of the patch on that ROM?

3) Can you upload a screenshot of the game's title screen for me to see (where it says "Fire Emblem: Thracia 776" and "Press Start")?