Did anyone else find FE9's story to be... less than compelling?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree. It just seemed to lack the spark of previous games. Didn't exactly get any better in 10, which is why I have such a hard time getting into it.

I'd have to agree that PoR's plot was uninspired. Oh boy, two races that absolutely hate each! How woefully cliché. It didn't bother me in the least, though. The dialog was solid, and the majority of the characters were developed fairly well. That's much more important to me than the overall plot.

I have to agree. It just seemed to lack the spark of previous games. Didn't exactly get any better in 10, which is why I have such a hard time getting into it.

I liked the plot in FE7... Admitidly, there wasn't too much originality in it, but I really like how they went in depth with a lot of the characters (including less important ones).

The only truly good FE story I like was FE4, which was pretty damn awesome. FE9 is lackluster compared to the rest of the series, as it was done before. If anything, FE9 was just a big setup for FE10, even if we didn't see it yet.

The story was fun but it definitely didn't live up to my expectations. I adored FE7 so when FE9's story seemed a bit contrived I was a little disappointed. That's not to say it was bad but it the dialog wasn't engaging the game didn't feel as epic as I believed it would. I quite liked FE10's story but it did suffer some of the same problems as FE9.

For example, the dialog between pirates in FE9 seemed way off kilter and ill fitted to the game. FE10 received some of that legacy ("Moldy onions!," Hector's "Blast," was much better) but I was pleased that the entirety of the story didn't read like that. Micaiah's reaction to

Sothe

's idolization of

Ike

made me laugh. I don't know how much of this is the fault of the localization team or of Intelligent Systems because I wasn't literate in Japanese when first playing them. Regardless, I believe that the dialog in FE9 could have been a lot more lively and realistic.

6-bland storyline. nothing else.

7-Great story, I just wish Leila had lived.

8-Semi-good story. Not long enough, and not enough development.

9-The one this topic is actually about. I found it very interesting, actually, and somehow didn't see a sequel coming?

10-Best story ever in a Fire Emblem. No sarcasm. I didn't even want to fight at certain times because I wanted to get to the rest of the story.

Clearly, guys, the problem you are all having is that you can't see mercenaries, hired soldiers, being moral, valiant champions of justice. I mean, everyone knows that mercenaries are supposed to fight for justice and good, not just the person who pays them the most.

Kind of reminds me of the air pirates in Skies of Arcadia. Pirates of justice.

Yeah but they weren't really pirates in the sense that they went around killing people and stealing their gold, it was more like Robin Hood. Ike sort of pans towards that, as not all mercenaries are good, but some of them just want to be good, while getting paid for it.

Yeah but they weren't really pirates in the sense that they went around killing people and stealing their gold, it was more like Robin Hood...

Not quite, if I remember correctly, Vyse says "we started off taking from the rich and giving to the poor. But now we just take from the rich and keep it for ourselves"

they show compassion to the poor, but they don't give gold to them (now)

Nobody wants to pay people to fight for justice, at least not anyone with enough cash to make it worth the effort. And in Skies, you took gold from everything, including those stupid random battle creatures who clearly had no idea what gold was and obviously weren't carrying any. And unless you consider buying new weapons giving to charity, my gold doesn't go to many charities.

*edit*

STOP STEALING MY THUNDERS!

z0mfg, you guys played Skies? D: I know like NO ONE who's even heard of that game.

Anyways... I found PoR's story more compelling than Stones, but that was about it. A lot of the time, the dialouge seemed kind of... cheesy. o_o';...

Plus, they're mercenaries. They're supposed (supposed to) fight for whoever pays them -- or whatever is in their best intrest. I believe Greil, Titania, and Soren (Ike?) had that convo in the beginning of the game, and found that it would be more to their finantial intrest to save their country, as that would allow for people to continue giving them jobs, over Daein who would just like... pwn them. >_>

First of all, if they got pwned, it really wouldn't matter if they had cash now would it?

Second of all, search on amazon. They have freaking everything.

Third of all, would this be a bad time to admit that I never actually finished the game? (social hour(s) > school > anime > drawing > videogames).

z0mfg, you guys played Skies? D: I know like NO ONE who's even heard of that game.

Anyways... I found PoR's story more compelling than Stones, but that was about it. A lot of the time, the dialouge seemed kind of... cheesy. o_o';...

Plus, they're mercenaries. They're supposed (supposed to) fight for whoever pays them -- or whatever is in their best intrest. I believe Greil, Titania, and Soren (Ike?) had that convo in the beginning of the game, and found that it would be more to their finantial intrest to save their country, as that would allow for people to continue giving them jobs, over Daein who would just like... pwn them. >_>

Skies was a fun game. I'm not sure I liked it's plot though. XD

Skies was a fun game. I'm not sure I liked it's plot though. XD

Roger, but it had an awesome combat system [etc.] :D. Plus, I liked a lot of the characters, I thought that they were really funny. The dungeon layout was pretty freaking awesome, though... @_@'...