Continuation of "How many positive and well-made female characters can you think of?"

deltanine

I adore shiki misaki from the world ends with you! While admittedly not the most focused on character in the game she does go through with a lot of great character development especially with coming to terms with her own flaws and insecurities she kept hidden and coming to accept herself and realize her own talents and worth instead of seeing herself being in someone elses shadow

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore shiki misaki from the world ends with you! While admittedly not the most focused on character in the game she does go through with a lot of great character development especially with coming to terms with her own flaws and insecurities she kept hidden and coming to accept herself and realize her own talents and worth instead of seeing herself being in someone elses shadow

While I haven't played the game. I agree she's a good character to put here. Plus, her (slightly) sexualized design is actually her part of her character, as it's relates to how she saw the real her as inadequate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also, I'm surprised at how nobody on the older thread mentioned Lara Croft.

50a08255e8d9e930da39b3fdd0dadde6.jpg

Shame we have sex-negative people calling her a "sex object" despite the sheer amount of ass she kicks.

Tomb+Raider+Lara+Croft+Sex+Object.png

Edited by deltanine

Also, I'm surprised at how nobody on the older thread mentioned Lara Croft.

Shame we have sex-negative people calling her a "sex object" despite the sheer amount of ass she kicks. (*cough* Masked And Dangerous *cough*)

Did someone call my name?

And Lara Croft's original creator was horrified by her usage as sex icon by media. In her original game, she was supposed to embody a combination of 90s riot girl feminism and a touch of austerity, best exemplified by the iconic sequence where she blows away a baddie with a shotgun and silk bathrobe. But the media hijacked her and used her in an endless parade of sleazy advertisements which whittled away at the core of her character.

And considering the franchise itself has decided to move away from the short shorts in favor of cargo pants, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to claim. Kicking ass and being treated like a sex object are not mutually exclusive. If it were, Barbed Wire would be a very different movie.

But hey, whatever. deltanine's trying to pick a fight.

Back to the topic, I'd nominate Princess Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon, aka the Lion Cub of Citra, aka Ciri.

QCprC7p.jpg

For people have read the books, it's really no understatement that she is the true protagonist of the story, with Geralt as the viewpoint character and her mentor. In the games, she's still a very important character, although being on the run from the Wild Hunt made her unavailable to appear until the third game. However, her arc has her deciding whether to continue on the path of a Witcher or to embrace her heritage and become Empress.

Edited by Masked And Dangerous

Did someone call my name?

And Lara Croft's original creator was horrified by her usage as sex icon by media. In her original game, she was supposed to embody a combination of 90s riot girl feminism and a touch of austerity, best exemplified by the iconic sequence where she blows away a baddie with a shotgun and silk bathrobe. But the media hijacked her and used her in an endless parade of sleazy advertisements which whittled away at the core of her character.

And considering the franchise itself has decided to move away from the short shorts in favor of cargo pants, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to claim. Kicking ass and being treated like a sex object are not mutually exclusive. If it were, Barbed Wire would be a very different movie.

But hey, whatever. deltanine's trying to pick a fight.

Oh. Yeah. Sorry about that. Maybe if the media advertised her in ways that took the character more seriously, she probably would have been less controversial. At least Tomb Raider: Legend was advertised in a way that took Lara's character more seriously.

• 4 months later...

Liana K had a statement on the whole thing about sexy women in gaming:

She said “There is a huge difference in saying that this creator made an attempt to make us question our assumptions about the way a particular woman dresses and saying ‘No, they shouldn’t be doing that at all. Anytime you put a woman in a skimpy outfit, because she’s not real, you’re taking away her agency.’ That’s kind of foolish, because if we do what Anita Sarkeesian does and take movie and mass media analytical techniques and transfer them into video games, we have to look at the fact that one could claim that every actress who ever wore an article of clothing has no agency; the wardrobe department determined she was gonna wear that, but the point is we’re supposed to believe the character chose to dress that way. And that’s a character point. Saying none of these women are real and so it’s not a real person’s decision, that’s a breaking of the fourth wall and a misplaced sociological analysis as opposed to looking at it like a piece of art. That’s not fair. That’s shifting the paradigm that’s moving the goalpost to create the most negative impression no matter what the scenario and I have a real problem with that. I think we have to be consistent in our analytical tools. I think it’s fair to take the reality that a piece of art has created and examine that reality on its terms. For instance, Quiet [from Metal Gear Solid 5] only wears so much clothing because she has to breath. Now the question is ‘Why isn’t she more naked? Why is she wearing those pants on the bottom?’ I’m not sure about that but we can accept that ‘Okay, in this fictional reality, (because it’s science fiction. I mean the whole parasite treatment and breathing through her skin, that’s not something that the average, ‘normative’ woman does) so we have to accept sci-fi on sci-fi’s terms, so, all right. Fine. Here is a woman who breaths through her skin. In this fictional world of Metal Gear Solid, Quiet has different norms. And you can claim that they are silly (and yes, they are) and you can claim that artistically it doesn’t work for you. That’s valid. But this idea that we’re supposed to dismiss the assumption that this particular character dresses in a certain way because she wants to… well… that’s not fair because you can’t then do a deep analysis about what everything else means. Well, it means nothing. If we’re gonna treat these characters like dolls for the sexual stimulation of a presumed male audience, well, we might as well forget about story and forget about emotional engagement, forget about all the interactivity that the game developers bend themselves into pretzels to try to get.”