Mario and Luigi Paper Jam

Knife

But damn it, Peach is so mean. This is a reason I never liked her. She gives the Marios kisses, but leaves Luigi in the dust. He even expected a kiss and got nothing. Peach didn't even say anything to him. Both Peaches were kind of making fun of him earlier too. Peach is such a bitch. :(

i want to say that's nitpicking but tbh that's the reason i've never liked peach

hell I used to not like mario because of it until i realized it's technically not his fault

And therein lies the kicker. In Thousand Year Door, ALL of Mario's Partners (except Ms. Mowz) had character development. Nintendo raised the bar, and it looks like they've lowered it right back down. I ain't buyin' it. Literally.

zera, if your decision to buy a mario game, even an rpg, hinges on its story and character development, you play mario games for the wrong reasons

they don't try with that shit because like five people actually care about the development of the characters

besides, it's not like mario and luigi, the series that focuses on two characters, has ever had character development unless you have a really loose definition

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario also seems oblivious to the fact that Luigi is getting this poor treatment and I've made this a plot point in my Luigi fic.

I'd argue that Luigi has had some degree of development, btw. Not much, but in games where he has a major role, especially Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, he's cowardly at first, but through finding enough courage, becomes brave enough to get the job done. Dark Moon shows his fear of ghosts easing up as well.

Edited by Anacybele

if your decision to buy a mario game, even an rpg, hinges on its story and character development, you play mario games for the wrong reasons

And therein lies the kicker. Thousand Year Door had a great story AND great gameplay! If Paper Jam lacks one or the other, then it is an inferior game and therefore obsolete.

And therein lies the kicker. Thousand Year Door had a great story AND great gameplay! If Paper Jam lacks one or the other, then it is an inferior game and therefore obsolete.

Wow, you're really closed-minded. But it's your loss. Have fun missing out on a great game. And personally, I think Paper Jam has better gameplay.

I've heard through the grape vine that Paper Luigi is mostly absent in this game.

This disappointed me as well, being a big Luigi fan. But I'm enjoying the game anyway, and Luigi still has comedic moments, especially where he starts crying. lol

Edited by Anacybele

personally i found the story good especially when it came to the writing and comedy but i would've preferred to see the original characters of both universes as i find them very interesting and like their interactions with the core cast a lot.

also if you want to see luigi development dream team has plenty of it but then again he was the focus character of that game.

personally i found the story good especially when it came to the writing and comedy but i would've preferred to see the original characters of both universes as i find them very interesting and like their interactions with the core cast a lot.

also if you want to see luigi development dream team has plenty of it but then again he was the focus character of that game.

It felt more like a mechanic than actual character development to be honest. Sure there were cute little brother scenes but the overall story didn't really show much with Luigi. Yes there are interactions but it was more or less a way to hide extra areas than actual story telling. It never really changed my opinion of Luigi at all.

It felt more like a mechanic than actual character development to be honest. Sure there were cute little brother scenes but the overall story didn't really show much with Luigi. Yes there are interactions but it was more or less a way to hide extra areas than actual story telling. It never really changed my opinion of Luigi at all.

well there is dreams deep which explorers his inner psyche and the fact that the intro to most of the giant battles starts with him running away before becoming giant but for the final one he does it by choice not by accident showing growth in confidence. but i do understand where you're coming from though

Okay, I feel I'm in need of a little advice here. Any tips for the Bob-omb boss? My problem is that it's freaking TIMED. I can't seem to finish him before time runs out. Maybe my Mario bros. are underleveled? They're all level 30ish.

I just got this game just last week, and I have to say, I'm really loving it so far! Toadette was always one of my favorite Mario characters, so I'm super pumped to see that she's back in Paper Jam. I just wish there was a paper Toadette too, just like there was in TTYD. Overall, the game is really cute, I have nothing bad to say!

Took a while to get that drill power-up! Longer than I expected, at least. I saw so many drill spots and I was dying to uncover them XD!

there's two ways to beat king bob omb you can either counterattack the attack in which he kicks the giant bomb to increase the timer or just survive the explosion. also i would advice using short attacks as well.

By "short attacks", he means simple jumps and hammers instead of long trio or bros attacks.

And you can survive the explosion with the correct piece of equipment (an accessory who has a 75% chance of protecting the wearer by using a mushroom. I had it on Luigi and managed to beat the boss on my first try with it, with great amusement)

you can get away with a few bros attacks(shells,drill and fire flower) but it is more risky.

i was also able to survive the explosion on my first run but i think i remember living it because luigi had tons of HP at the point (i think it was at least 300 but probably more)

i could also be a good idea to have the battle card that lets you regain all of paper mario's copies instantly if you don't have the ability to copy then attack yet.

300 HP at that point?! My Luigi doesn't even have 200, I think, and he has the highest HP level of my party by far. I really must be underleveled. And I even grinded a little! Ugh...

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, I see... I really don't know if I made smart enough choices on my rank-up bonuses, but I did my best. I didn't give anyone the HP bonus yet, I was focused more on boosting the amount of damage they could do. I gave Mario the jump bonus, Luigi the hammer bonus, and Paper Mario the counterattack bonus. I'm better at counterattacking with PM than the other two, so...

Sorry for another double post, but now I'm at the final battle and I could use advice on that. ._.

Can't believe I managed to beat all the Koopalings without having to go easy mode tho. Anyway, this fight seems impossible. Every time I get close to breaking Bowser's paper armor, he heals it up! I don't get what I'm supposed to do about this.

i don't remember much about the strategy i used other than wailing on the armour and not using trio attacks until the armour was gone other than that just have a good battle deck and good items and it should be simple enough.

Yeah, maybe I should look at my battle card deck again, or use the Amiibo cards I whipped up. I was finally able to use my Amiibo after getting a New 3DS XL. :D

I definitely need to try using the card that lowers Bowser and Bowser Jr.'s levels, that's for sure.

EDIT: Ugh, screw this. It's just not possible for me to win. I spend more of my turns healing everyone than attacking because it's not possible for me to dodge a lot of Bowser's insanely fast attacks. I even used the Bowser level lowering card. I'm not good enough and never will be. I'm not going to go back to other M&L games either, because if I can't finish this one, what's to say the same won't be true for the others? I don't like to play games without finishing them.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, Paper Jam is, I think, the hardest M&L game (not counting DT hard mode).

His attacks are indeed hard to dodge. If you have enough expert points, I would recommend buying the 1Up glove (or whatever it's called in english).

Its effect is very powerful, at the beginning of the character's turn he uses automatically a 1Up mushroom on a fallen ally. That way, you can basically only heal Luigi and let him regenerate the Marios.

Frankly, without it I would have never been able to beat the final boss on my first try as I did, I would probably have needed to grind a bit.