Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike this feature, but removing it, really? What the next thing they'll censor? We will also have no death?

i think core gameplay features that are in every other game in the series and a large fraction of the games in its genre are probably exempt from the rules that apply to optional gimmicky pandering mechanics, man

I don't think it's ok to straight up remove entire game mechanics like that, especially without a replacement at the very least.

I think it's especially unfair given that we have games like Senran Kagura where you can straight up grope girls and shit, yet skinship, which is way tamer than that, has to be cut for some reason. I'm hoping it's just Kotaku making things up.

Either way, I'll learn to live with it I guess.

In a just world, I would be able to touch Benoit in English. ;__; (Pretend there's strikethrough. I'm on mobile.)

Edited by Esme

derp what's happening with this post

On the one hand completely removing a feature and throwing away those character models is too much.

On the other it looked awful.

I hope they came up with a better use of the models.

MODEDIT: i deleted the other one already lol sorry bout that

Edited by Integrity

Firstly, I don't exactly trust Kotaku. Now, if someone posts a stream of a reviewer copy and shows what's actually available inside MyRoom, or after the game comes out, or if Nintendo releases a press statement in advance, then that would be far more compelling evidence.

Secondly, I kind of feel indifferent to the whole thing. My only hope is that seeing that a decent amount of VA work was associated with the MyCastle that they figured out some other way to use the VAs, assuming skinship was even removed in the first place.

I'm not sure this is true.

I mean, if there's no skinship, what the exclamation point over My House means?

It was for Skinship only and it was in an english trailer.

And honestly, I was sorta wanting to see skinship in english.

Edited by Water Mage

Maybe you can feed them sweets now instead of petting them.

But seriously though. I am so upset right now that I am writing my first post here despite being a rather quiet person.

I am okay with adjusting dialogues to different cultures,but cutting out content is really enraging me.

Let's just wait and see what's in the actual game.

Yeah, but being optional doesn't make it anymore appropriate to a majority of western people. And I feel that a majority of people out west WOULD find it inappropriate. Also, some of us would rather have a feature that we WOULD bother using instead of just leaving stuff untouched.

You're only rubbing cheeks, hair and shoulders, what is so inappropriate about that? Pokemon lets you fondle machoke's crotch just fine but nope, if it's anime graphics it's gotta be "creepy" and for "nerds". Treehouse has 0 standards as of lately, absolutely none.

You're only rubbing cheeks, hair and shoulders, what is so inappropriate about that? Pokemon lets you fondle machoke's crotch just fine but nope, if it's anime graphics it's gotta be "creepy" and for "nerds". Treehouse has 0 standards as of lately, absolutely none.

people and animals are different things; furthermore have you read some of the s-rank conversations? it's pretty explicitly a metaphor for something.

i mean sex, by the way.

you're not being persecuted because "it's anime graphics" man, this would have had the same reaction with any other styling.

okay actual suggestion

you might want to change the topic title to like

"skinship is out according to kotaku"

so people know it might not be true

thanks integrity

Edited by maybe

Posted by someone on the NeoGAF boards, and it gives an interesting perspective on why removing this feature isn't necessarily a good thing:

This is extremely disappointing. =/ I understand the complaints about the feature (but, like...just ignore it if you don't like it?), but I think a lot of people fail to realize that for gay individuals like myself, this feature was really nice because, as far as I understood, you could use this "petting" feature on any character, including characters of the same sex as your avatar. This was the only way to have any sort of intimacy with same-sex characters outside of the single male and female characters that you can marry with a same-sex avatar. While it's great that the same-sex marriage is still there, and it's certainly a big step up from Awakening that featured none of it, it's still extremely disappointing that there was even more that we could have had, but of course they cut that out of the localization. =/
Unfortunately, I don't think most other people have considered it, either. Everyone's so quick to say "fuck that, it's creepy and I don't need it," and yeah, I understand that the feature can be kind of weird, and I understand how it can seem unnecessary to straight individuals who already have the option to marry any character of the opposite sex, but it's so much more limited for people who are attracted to the same sex. I thought having this mini game was really cool because it allowed them to include intimacy between characters of all genders separate from the marriage feature so there'd be no need for controversy over gay marriage, but apparently this petting feature is even more controversial than that. I mean, that's cool that the extremely limited instances of gay marriage in the game are being accepted so well, but LGBT individuals are still getting the short end of the stick here. We could have had it better, but nope, gotta remove that bonus content from the localization just because people bitched about it. =/

Which is gonna be bitched about more, this or the bust slider in XCX?

This is a shame, I guess. Nothing can be done about it, so that's that.

Edited by Konnor97

I'm not gonna lie, a while ago I decided I was no longer going to get this game for multiple reasons.

One of them was the pandering that I would know to exist in the game and would just make me feel uncomfortable playing this game and no ability to take the characters as serious developped characters with knowledge that they were just to satisfy someones fetish.

With the removal of the biggest factor of this it's one of my bigger complaints gone.

And I've decided to buy it and support this franchise once more to show to nintendo that even though hundreds of people are whining about it, there remain people like me who support this decision and prefer Fire Emblem without fanservice.

Edited by saifors

What was so bad about that anyway? i get people may not like it but it's completely optional. Changing certain things because of cultural differences is one thing but entirely removing completely optional gameplay mechanics is entirely different.

Well it is Kotaku, so im still skeptical but still it looks like i'll have to import the japanese version anyway

Which is gonna be bitched about more, this or the bust slider in XCX?

This is a shame, I guess. Nothing can be done about it, so that's that.

Probably this. See my post above yours.

If this turns out to be true ill be disappointed not only because it is the removal of something original "And by original i mean done by the creators of the game" but it was something i wanted to test but okey people complains like always saing things like "every single day i touch my friends and our bond grows strong " and "i hate touching people ewhh " it is a game guys ! xD its ok btw idk if you noticed but in kotako it said that Tharja name will be Rhajat :D

Hopefully if this is true, they feature some other way to regularly interact with the live 2D assets. That would be a staggering amount of art assets to cut from the game. And seeing/unlocking more art is like 90% of why I play games, lol.

I kinda have to doubt Nathan Grayson asked the right questions, judging from the response:

“Yes, that is the case [that petting isn’t in the English version]. You might have heard somewhat misinterpreted or exaggerated information about the Japanese original game, but even in the Japanese original version, we have not included any features which are considered inappropriate in Japan.”

Notice the only reference to petting is in brackets, and the statement about "even in the Japanese original version". He probably asked something like "is there going to be groping in this game?", or the question was misunderstood.