Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

Well we won't know anything until Nintendo makes an official statement, so let's all just calm down and wait. Kotaku bringing this up indeed raises concern, but it's also likely that they are exaggerating the truth i.e. mentioning that Skinship is out when Nintendo merely stated that they were changing it to be more appropriate for Western Audiences.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made peace with my salt so I'm rather indifferent to it coming back (I still don't approve but whatevs) or not.

I don't believe they would remove it. Looking at the quote, they don't specifically deny there will be skinship. They basically defend the Japanese version, saying "There isn't anything weird in the Japanese version either", It sounds more like they are saying "The English version won't have inappropriate (in their mind) groping, just like the Japanese version! It's all above the shoulders!"

I'm going to laugh at you all later for overreacting.

Except it's not, it's more like, you asked for sriracha sauce and they said "you can't handle it so we're not offering it" at which point you had an option of continuing with the purchase aware it won't come with sauce, or backing out.

If you know this isn't in the game and buy it anyway, then don't complain that you paid for it, because you didn't.

Japan had it. We have a right to it too. I don't get how this is so hard to understand.

"The salt" is funny for a little while but then it just devolves into people offending each other, making monolithic statements, and strawmanning, which just gets depressing. This isn't the only forum I go to that's been up in arms about today's article, and it's just as vitriolic there.

I don't know, it is pretty enjoyable. Maybe I will tire.

I ain't a betting man, but can we quote this if it does happen?

Edit: Nevermind, I believe I misread.

Edited by Tryhard

Well. I learnt something today...never trust kotaku(pardon my ignorance).

If the petting is actually removed but replaced with a simple button press to play the conversation then I would be okay with it. Don't know how possible that is though. Basically pls don't remove the conversations Treehouse.

RcGUXKp.png

Why is the most important phrase in brackets, which signify that the text has changed?

Also what does the lines after that have anything to do with the localization?

I think it's very likely that (if this is true) the conversation probably went like.

Kotaku: Has face petting been removed from Fire Emblem Fates?

Nintendo Rep: Yes, that is the case.

Not necessarily a change in text, but a way to fill in context for direct quotes that would not be there otherwise.

Still taking it with a grain of salt, but I don't think it's all that important unless they really did remove some of the quote.

I've made peace with my salt so I'm rather indifferent to it coming back (I still don't approve but whatevs) or not.

I don't believe they would remove it. Looking at the quote, they don't specifically deny there will be skinship. They basically defend the Japanese version, saying "There isn't anything weird in the Japanese version either", It sounds more like they are saying "The English version won't have inappropriate (in their mind) groping, just like the Japanese version! It's all above the shoulders!"

I'll be laughing alongside you.

If it's not true, good. Up yours Kotaku.

If it is true: "Removing that minigame from Fire Emblem Fates is like if you order a hotdog with sriracha sauce, and they give you just a regular hotdog and tell you that you can't handle the spicy sriracha sauce, and then charge you for the sriracha sauce anyway."

Its more like ordering a sandwich with like 20 different ingredients and then you complain because they left one out because it turns out most people are allergic to it, but the sandwich tastes exactly the same anyway

Japan had it. We have a right to it too. I don't get how this is so hard to understand.

That is some entitled bullshit lol. Would you also say you have a right to an English version of a game that has no plans to be localised? xD

If you want what Japan got, import.

I think it's very likely that (if this is true) the conversation probably went like.

Kotaku: Has face petting been removed from Fire Emblem Fates?

Nintendo Rep: Yes, that is the case.

Not necessarily a change in text, but a way to fill in context for direct quotes that would not be there otherwise.

Still taking it with a grain of salt, but I don't think it's all that important unless they really did remove some of the quote.

I realized that after I posted. Now I feel embarrassed.

I don't believe they would erase this feature for 3 simple reasons:

1- The 2d models aren't used anywhere else so it would be a huge waste not to include them, they know better than to piss people AND Nintendo Japan off by outright cutting them out.

2- This feature, albeit weird, is a key component for boosting supports. It is an IMPORTANT GAME MECHANIC. It would be simply ludicrous to remove an entire part of gameplay for censorship. Even Nintendo is better than this.

3- Kotaku. Nuff said.

I think we should all just chill, stop putting so much stock in rumors, and wait until we actually have the game to judge ourselves. The worst that could happen to this featurem realistically speaking, is a bit of tone-down, make the lines less lewd maybe. But it would be illogical to remove it entirely.

'WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! We can't touch people anymore! Fuck this game and fuck nintendo in general! I'm buying a Playstation 4!!! This game is now offically worse than Satan himself!!!'

Literally no-one is holding this position. When you try to be sarcastic, you should try to parody actual opinions, otherwise you are having the opposite effect as intended.

Its more like ordering a sandwich with like 20 different ingredients and then you complain because they left one out because it turns out most people are allergic to it, but the sandwich tastes exactly the same anyway

but skinship is the bacon of the sandwich

That is some entitled bullshit lol. Would you also say you have a right to an English version of a game that has no plans to be localised? xD

That's a pretty terrible argument.

Yeah, I have a right to Mother 3. I have a right to Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I have a right to New Mystery. So what? Those games should have been localized, so a totally good concept being axed because people whined about it is an absolutely perfect analogy.

That's a pretty terrible argument.

Yeah, I have a right to Mother 3. I have a right to Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I have a right to New Mystery. So what? Those games should have been localized, so a totally good concept being axed because people whined about it is an absolutely perfect analogy.

You don't have a right to localised versions of them. Please tell me what law gave you that right, or what divine morals you are deriving this right from?

Edited by Relick

RcGUXKp.png

Why is the most important phrase in brackets, which signify that the text has changed?

Also what does the lines after that have anything to do with the localization?

That quote sounds weird.

It sounds like the mini-game is still in when you remove the bracketed text. Plus touching mini-games are pretty common in Japanese games and aren't deemed "inappropriate" in Japan.

Literally no-one is holding this position. When you try to be sarcastic, you should try to parody actual opinions, otherwise you are having the opposite effect as intended.

i think there are some people that actually do have this opinon

Edited by Dandragon

If there is, these people are A) not worth listening to and B) not indicative of most of the people who would be upset with these changes. So you probably shouldn't sarcastically stereotype it as if people are.

That's all I really meant.

Edited by Tryhard

I've seen people saying they aren't going to buy a game because it's been censored. If it's little stuff like say... boobs and asses, then google images is their best friend.

It sounds like the mini-game is still in when you remove the bracketed text. Plus touching mini-games are pretty common in Japanese games and aren't deemed "inappropriate" in Japan.

What's considered appropriate in Japan may not be considered appropriate in the west, you know. Different cultures and beliefs and all that. Did you know that certain people in the world find a thumbs-up gesture offensive, while us in the US use it to say they approve of something in a "great job!" or "awesome!" manner? I forget which country views the gesture as offensive, but I read somewhere that one does. I think it was Thailand or Taiwan or something. But you get the point.

I guess localizations are immune to being criticized now.

Honestly, I don't see why they would take it out. I mean it's weird, but I think most people will just accept it as Japan being Japan.

Edited by RobbieRotten