Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

This is going to look so awkward once it will inevitably confirmed that our little chikan minigame is going to stay untouched, no pun intended.

Is it wrong of me to want to see people's reactions when they find that it's still in game?

I know it´s not good, but there's something about this that make me want to see their reactions.

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess localizations are immune to being criticized now.

What? No. You are certainly free to criticise and be pissed at a poor localisation that removes features etc.

You're not entitled by right to a perfect localisation though xD That's all I'm refuting.

Oh joy. Our favorite journalist Jed Whitaker (who wrote the Soleil article) has jumped on the bandwagon of perpetuating this rumor.

Of course, considering he wrote an article that got over 2000 comments entitled "There should be more safe places in gaming", cherry-picked the most negative responses and blocked people on twitter who had any form of criticism, it's expected.

"Hmm, I wonder if anything new has been said about the Fates localisation. What's this, Skinship is out according to Kotaku? Well that's a little concerning, but I'll take it with a grain of salt. I wonder what Serenesforest had to say about this Revelation (Bah-dum tss!)? I mean, this land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind. I'm sure they wouldn't-"

Qes4R4j4n7A.jpg

Nevermind...

But seriously, I know it's probably been different people, but I find it both amusing and deeply infuriating that so many people were complaining about how terrible FE Amie was and how the game was 'no longer a Fire Emblem and more like a dating sim', and now people are complaining about it being removed. Also, this is an article from Kotaku people. The conversation probably went something like this:

What Nintendo said- We've noticed that Skinship was a controversial addition in the West, so we're changing it to be more appropriate for Western Audiences

What Kotaku said- SKINSHIP IS OUT GUYS! GET YOUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS READY!

So just calm down and wait for Nintendo to address the fallout.

Yes.

I mean, ok, sure, in Nohr you can grind until everyone is S and A supported with everyone else if you really want, and in Hoshido you can grind until the game is pointlessly easy. You can also buy full teams of Copycat-Warp characters from undefended castles, and pay for DLC to get infinite money and edit your save to give everyone 99 in all stats.

My point is that Private Quarters is a "natural" source of support. I make the assumption that the developers balance (lol) enemy difficulty with only the natural sources of support in mind.

I want them to ax the touching minigame. It sucks. I want them to keep the good aspects of Private Quarters. Support points between missions (a la Normandy conversations or something) and poignant dialogue.

But it will suck if we get nothing for the base as has been pointed out already. You go in and just leave the base will get many people to return the game back to the store.

Damn. Is this what Niles's backstory was? He was sold... into face petting?

You're free now, Niles.

Also liking his "sigh" when he defeates a foe in battle.

Fitting for his character as you only live once after all, or if rebirth exists. If it did, we'd lose memories of our old lives and have a new body.

I've made peace with my salt so I'm rather indifferent to it coming back (I still don't approve but whatevs) or not.

I don't believe they would remove it. Looking at the quote, they don't specifically deny there will be skinship. They basically defend the Japanese version, saying "There isn't anything weird in the Japanese version either", It sounds more like they are saying "The English version won't have inappropriate (in their mind) groping, just like the Japanese version! It's all above the shoulders!"

I'm going to laugh at you all later for overreacting.

...And quieting this topic once it does.

'WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! We can't touch people anymore! Fuck this game and fuck nintendo in general! I'm buying a Playstation 4!!! This game is now offically worse than Satan himself!!!'

Some folks have already started!

That's a pretty terrible argument.

Yeah, I have a right to Mother 3. I have a right to Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I have a right to New Mystery. So what? Those games should have been localized, so a totally good concept being axed because people whined about it is an absolutely perfect analogy.

Yeah.

Those were letdowns. Can't make AAI2 playable since I hate using emulators.

What's considered appropriate in Japan may not be considered appropriate in the west, you know. Different cultures and beliefs and all that. Did you know that certain people in the world find a thumbs-up gesture offensive, while us in the US use it to say they approve of something in a "great job!" or "awesome!" manner? I forget which country views the gesture as offensive, but I read somewhere that one does. I think it was Thailand or Taiwan or something. But you get the point.

The Soleil mess came about from a tumblrkin lacking knowledge of an element of Japanese culture (see "Class S Relationships"). So yeah, localizations surely fo have to take into account culture.

Edited by Alazen

Yeah, I have a right to Mother 3. I have a right to Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I have a right to New Mystery. So what? Those games should have been localized, so a totally good concept being axed because people whined about it is an absolutely perfect analogy.

Rights lol

I don't believe it's the people who aren't interested in the feature who are whining, but the ones who insist on having it. If you look around the internet, the majority of this games audience isn't interested. As out of touch all of Nintendo is, they seem to know their western audience majority. At the end of the day, it's about what they think will make them the most money, not how any one group feels about things.

Honestly, I don't see why they would take it out. I mean it's weird, but I think most people will just accept it as Japan being Japan.

That's what I've been starting to think as well. Them taking it out would only the hurt the people who would use the feature. The people who think its weird won't use the feature and will ignore its existence while those who would want to use it will have a lesser experience than what they could of had. Its mostly likely in is what I think. Possibly an alteration to it so its more accessible to people.

except that you don't have a right to any of those things though

I'm more sad than angry. I'm super into things like PDA and being able to be affectionate with Niles my spouse was something I was looking forward to. But since this isn't a reputable source, apparently, I'm not going to get my hopes completely down. After all, there is still something there, because of that exclamation point.

Oh joy. Our favorite journalist Jed Whitaker (who wrote the Soleil article) has jumped on the bandwagon of perpetuating this rumor.

Of course, considering he wrote an article that got over 2000 comments entitled "There should be more safe places in gaming", cherry-picked the most negative responses and blocked people on twitter who had any form of criticism, it's expected.

Of all the places to see my first name...

I tried asking him about his sources on twitter, and then was immediately blocked.

soooooo, I'm going to asume he is lying, and that he's a dick

his twitter handle is @Vahn16 if you all feel like pestering the author about his sources

I tried asking him about his sources on twitter, and then was immediately blocked.

soooooo, I'm going to asume he is lying, and that he's a dick

his twitter handle is @Vahn16 if you all feel like pestering the author about his sources

That's Nathan Grayson’s twitter, Not Jed's. Edited by Hunter Nightblood

As out of touch all of Nintendo is, they seem to know their western audience majority. At the end of the day, it's about what they think will make them the most money, not how any one group feels about things.

Maybe I haven't got the market research statistics like they do, but is it really conclusive to say that it would sell better with or without this feature? Somehow I didn't really think that a bunch of people would buy/wouldn't buy it based on this decision, and though there would be some at least, there would be losses either way.

Classic.

Dunno if this got posted already because the thread got swamped so quickly, and if the search bar hasn't been lying to me, this may or may not have been shown yet.

A IGN mod furthers up that the skinship removal is real.

http://imgur.com/JerusoZ

I figured it wouldn't be removed.

That's Nathan Grayson’s twitter, Not Jed's.

my bad

Dunno if this got posted already because the thread got swamped so quickly, and if the search bar hasn't been lying to me, this may or may not have been shown yet.

then I wonder what they replaced it with

I'm more sad than angry. I'm super into things like PDA and being able to be affectionate with Niles my spouse was something I was looking forward to. But since this isn't a reputable source, apparently, I'm not going to get my hopes completely down. After all, there is still something there, because of that exclamation point.

I'm...sorry. Your spouse?

Huh? My post implied that it is.

Still don't know if this is a story to swallow, but I think it's here to say something.

(If we're talking about the same thing, at any rate)

Oh oops. I thought it said it was still in. My bad.

Well, shit.

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

Maybe I haven't got the market research statistics like they do, but is it really conclusive to say that it would sell better with or without this feature? Somehow I didn't really think that a bunch of people would buy/wouldn't buy it based on this decision, and though there would be some at least, there would be losses either way.

I assume in a niche series like FE, word of mouth is pretty important and with Fates following the trend of appealing to the mainstream, social acceptance is a much bigger deal than in the core audience. If Fates discussion came up between casual game players, one of the first topics would be to chastise the "awkward face rubbing stuff". Because basics casuals find everything awkward.

Even if it is, what matters is if they're replacing it with anything. If they do, I'm sure people will still be a little upset but at least there's something else available. If they took it out without replacing it with anything...

pyriniki-bomba.jpg