Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you should be content with getting less and less.

I know, but I'm just happy enough to even be able to play the game overall.

I'm more focused on gameplay, and extra features are great, but I never end up using them often anyways so that's why I'm personally not really affected by their removal.

It's like with Pokemon Amie for example (for the sake of skinship being similar to it); I used it a couple times when I first got X and then never really touched it again.

Probably because NoA just has to appeal to the US while NoE has to appeal to a wide variety of countries that each have their own various views and vastly different cultures that NoE has to take into account. You can't make everyone happy but if you can make the vast majority happy then you win. However it's true, not many people like cut content, after all it's content that was originally placed into the game and then taken out, it's essentially a 'lesser experience' even if some of the things cut were a bit strange/controversial. Plus Fire Emblem is kind of a niche title to begin with, yes it's been somewhat steadily growing in popularity and has become more of a thing in recent years but it's still something that really only appeals to a select group of people. It's kind of funny because they take these risks to help the game escape from its niche and grow and appeal to more people and in turn end up having to cut a bunch of said risks to increase appeal, but it helps them figure out what they should and shouldn't do I suppose. As I stated earlier I hope IS is able to find a good balance that appeals to most and only upsets a few, though it might be awhile as they are currently still in the experimental stage. But yea, that is why things are cut, to appeal to more people who might be turned off by said controversial issues and thus help the community grow/make more sales. It might be lame to us who have been following this game for awhile now but to newcomers who are blissfully unaware of the cut content it's right up their alley. The game will still be good, I and many other fans and such will still buy it, play it and enjoy it, it'll just be a lesser experience for me is all knowing that certain content that I somewhat looked forward to has been cut. (granted we don't know the full details yet on what is and isn't in so I'll just be waiting here patiently with baited breath)

(0_0)

...Wow...I learned something (very interesting) today. Thank you! :3

I will say though...that's kinda rough. I can imagine that some people like to import stuff from here...and considering it's quite easier for some with english as a main or well known language.

Wow, just found out about this a couple minutes ago and can't even describe how incredibly disappointed I am. While this isn't wholly unexpected, I'm pretty upset that once again we're being handed butchered content because NoA can't handle even the slightest veneer of controversy over a mini-game. Maybe if the backlash is enough (which I sadly doubt) then it'll be enough to be released as DLC or something, but unless that happens I guess it's time to go look at the fan translation options.

If you think that Nintendo of America cares about Backlash, may I remind you that the only three games they were successfully pressured into releasing over in America were the Operation Rainfall games. As a gambler, I will give you the odds of NoA putting this petting minigame back into the game 4,592,112,381:1. You have a better chance of winning the jackpot in Mega Millions or Power Ball.

Again: Birds Fly, Fish Swim, Nintendo of America Censors Content. Which is really bizarre because they had Resident fucking Evil ReMake, Zero and 4 on the gamecube. And if you ask me, Resident Evil is far worse than being able to pet your fictional people.

Edited by Spartac

I'm gonna ask the same question I asked earlier.

What are you getting the game for?

I ask because some people seem to not want the game because of one or two small things that are (possibly) not in the game! I can understand if you're upset or disappointed or may not care a whole lot because some like the feature more than others, BUT...to not the game at all because a of minigame (that has never been in a FE game until now)? Something that probably makes up only 5% - 10% of a strategy rpg?! Did you want the "strategy rpg", the main thing Fire Emblem is known for, or just for the other extra stuff?!

Sorry if I sound rude, but this issue seems to be occurring constantly and it saddeneds (and kind upsets) me as I see more of it! I've been a big fan of the series since FE 7 (the first FE game released in the west) and while adding new extra stuff (or changes) in the series isn't always a bad thing (heck, it helps it a lot sometimes, like casual mode for newcomers of the series), I just hate it that people seem to be getting so enraged (or disappointed) to the point of not getting the game due to one (or two) small little thing(s) added in this new game to the series, when the core parts of the gameplay( that has pretty much stayed the same up to this point) is actually really good! I don't care if you have a waifu or husbino or whatever you may like or like to do, just don't act like the smaller new additions are more important than the main core game itself. Which is why I ask...WHAT ARE YOU GETTING THE GAME FOR?!

......I'm sorry if I offended or upset anyone, but it just...*sigh*...this whole thing is getting blown waaay out of proportion...for something that was never really that big of a thing in the first place...

It's several things really. If this does pan out to be true and we've lost content, then I have lost a feature I looked forward too because Nintendo made the decision that it wasn't worth courting controversy. They've done this before as well, even in situations where it was totally uncalled for, like censoring bonus costumes in the latest fatal frame. If you don't know, Fatal Frame was/is a very niche horror title rated M, and they still felt necessary to tone down bonus content. At the end of the day, I'm not okay with Nintendo essentially telling me what I can handle, and I really think in this specific case the controversy would blow over quite quickly.

The wider truth though, is I'm largely done supporting devs/publishers that chop up their games and content to try and make a few more bucks, or because they personally have a moral viewpoint at odds with the game materials. So as several others have pointed out, will this destroy the core game experience? No. But it really does because a slippery slope with what localizers are will to tamper with, and I won't be party to that.

I really hope it's just a ruse by kotaku for clicks, though, if it's still in and I've just been getting fooled I'd call it a second Christmas.

I feel like Kellam in this thread

nobody quotes anything I have to say

I think it's still in the game, maybe they want to suprise us by not letting on to what goes on in myroom

hell they haven't even told us about how pair up has changed or you can change your hairstyle

Edited by Captain Karnage

At this point, all a petition would do if Nintendo actually followed it would be to delay the game even longer. =\ They've likely already finished all matters of localization and bug-testing, given how close the release date is.

a bit off topic but didn't the EU version of Awakening use the english dub?

Not really sure about the EU version but Awakening sold here in México used the english dub, no changes at all to put in spanish. That being said i bought it here like two days after launchdate and sometimes translated games or with at least spanish subs come out some months after.

Not really sure about the EU version but Awakening sold here in México used the english dub, no changes at all to put in spanish. That being said i bought it here like two days after launchdate and sometimes translated games or with at least spanish subs come out some months after.

Us Mexicans just get the NTSC-U versions of the game so they're the same as the US retail copies.

It's several things really. If this does pan out to be true and we've lost content, then I have lost a feature I looked forward too because Nintendo made the decision that it wasn't worth courting controversy. They've done this before as well, even in situations where it was totally uncalled for, like censoring bonus costumes in the latest fatal frame. If you don't know, Fatal Frame was/is a very niche horror title rated M, and they still felt necessary to tone down bonus content. At the end of the day, I'm not okay with Nintendo essentially telling me what I can handle, and I really think in this specific case the controversy would blow over quite quickly.

The wider truth though, is I'm largely done supporting devs/publishers that chop up their games and content to try and make a few more bucks, or because they personally have a moral viewpoint at odds with the game materials. So as several others have pointed out, will this destroy the core game experience? No. But it really does because a slippery slope with what localizers are will to tamper with, and I won't be party to that.

I really hope it's just a ruse by kotaku for clicks, though, if it's still in and I've just been getting fooled I'd call it a second Christmas.

Wait, they cut out some of the extra stuff in that game? Weird...I would think that an M-rated game would not need to do that...even if it is Nintendo.

...I've been thinking and I can kinda see where you're coming from. It isn't fun when someone else gets content that's kept from us because of a "we can't handle it" mentality(or something along those lines), that's kinda unfair for those who may want it. It's kinda like how some games seem to have different default difficulty settings. For example, apparently Crash Bandicoot 3 is somewhat harder in the European version (I heard this from a game reviewer, Somecallmejohnny, who did look this up). Why do that? It doesn't make sense when you think about it.

However, the thing that probably separates me and you( and some others) is that...well... I'm behind console wise.

I've pretty much grown on Nintendo consoles(always one console generation behind) and most games I've played, I never thought about what other countries got, I just cared about what was in front of me. Then again, I didn't really start looking this kind of stuff up until I started High School and I thought more about this kind of stuff. So, I guess it's because I'm so behind I don't exactly feel the same way as maybe you or some others do.

Now that isn't to say they should cut content for different places, it kinda sucks, especially if it's for no good reason or said cut content is good. Quite honestly, if they cut content, it should be before announcing it worldwide or see how everyone reacts around the world and if the majority don't like it, cut it from all versions so no one feels alienated......, but then that creates a whole new problem all together since then if said cut content is good or a good amount of people who actually wants it, then you're still kinda alienating people.

.....No one seems to win in the end(completely anyway).

And on the skinship thing, if it is cut, ...ehh...I still kinda stick with what I said earlier, but I'm kinda looking at it from both perspectives now (more or less). I love the Fire Emblem series greatly too, so that kinda fuels it too.

...I feel like I've been soooooo negative in this topic. :(

Why is everyone so upset about this?

How is it that a franchise that used to boast interesting gameplay mechanics, well-written storylines and characters, is now pandering to weird bestiality/loli etc fetishes? Fire Emblem isn't supposed to be a waifu simulator anyway but this is just way too far and in super bad taste.

It IS pretty funny lol.

And Nocturne is right. So while those who are upset for whatever reason whine and cry, I'll just be sitting over here enjoying my improved version of the game. <3

Censorship is a beautiful thing (most of the time).

Edited by Anacybele

Why is everyone so upset about this?

How is it that a franchise that used to boast interesting gameplay mechanics, well-written storylines and characters, is now pandering to weird bestiality/loli etc fetishes? Fire Emblem isn't supposed to be a waifu simulator anyway but this is just way too far and in super bad taste.

That's part of why I find this ironic.

There was no shortage of panning when the feature was revealed, but now people are panning the decision to take it out even more. People are strange.

And Nocturne is right. So while those who are upset for whatever reason whine and cry, I'll just be sitting over here enjoying my improved version of the game. <3

Uh, even though I'm one of the people who's in favor of skinship being cut, you're making yourself sound like a compete snot. Are you trying to start a fight?

Also, I'm having a REALLY hard time keeping up with this thread or what's even being cut. Has a source independent of kotaku actually confirmed that it's out yet or are we still up in a tizzy over something we don't even know whether to believe yet?

Edited by Sunwoo