Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

Just wanted to say that I heard one of the reasons why Matt Mercer had an awkward time recording the confession lines for Awakening was because the voice director, whom I believe was Patrick Seitz, told Matt that he wasn't allowed to break eye contact with him while saying his lines, lol.

In any case, if a person was sensitive enough that they'd have issues saying lines like these to the point where they'd refuse a job, they probably shouldn't be a voice actor. I hear finding jobs as a VA is difficult enough as it is, let alone if you're going to be picky about it. So I very much doubt that voice actor discomfort was a reason for skinship being likely removed.

That sounds pretty funny. Could you imagine if that is what we get in the western release?

"Lord Corrin, do you need something from me?"

"I just want to... stare at your face."

"Um... OK?"

"Please don't talk."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since I added this late in my last post I think I might have come across some hope

I found out that the english version of Awakening is SMALLER than the japanese version

US 8,759 blocks

JPN 9,784 blocks

so maybe NoA is better at compressing games than IS (consider that the US version contains both English and Japanese audio, as well as redone cutscenesfor the english cutscenes)

___

I think they are giving out stock responces when any questions about skinship ( for the pourpose of damage controll)

and remember in all of those emails they mention not being able to touch body parts (notice the plural)

"It feels so good Patrick. Pet me again."

Anywhos, I think I'm in the acceptance phase. I find myself not terribly caring whether it's in or not anymore. Either it's in and I get to enjoy Fates as intended, or it's not in and I get to enjoy some other game as it was intended.

^

...And now worried on how to snag a Special Edition.

since I added this late in my last post I think I might have come across some hope

I found out that the english version of Awakening is SMALLER than the japanese version

US 8,759 blocks

JPN 9,784 blocks

so maybe NoA is better at compressing games than IS (consider that the US version contains both English and Japanese audio, as well as redone cutscenesfor the english cutscenes)

___

I think they are giving out stock responces when any questions about skinship ( for the pourpose of damage controll)

and remember in all of those emails they mention not being able to touch body parts (notice the plural)

Which raises a few questions, since the US version of Fates is larger by 2028 blocks.

US: 26694 blocks

Jap: 24666 blocks

So either they've replaced skinship with something or it's here to stay in an altered manner.

imagine flannel's voice actor

"okay, next is 'Right here and now... can I eat you?'" "try not to laugh this time"

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you want to make a mess of me, right here and right now."

Worth it.

Awakening had dual audio and still had less blocks than the Jap version though.

On the other hand, dual-audio is what led to Xenoblade Chronicles being a dual-layer disc for the Wii internationally due to space.

Don't underestimate how much space audio can take.

In regards to that tumblr post... well, I'm surprised. I thought that original post was from GameFAQs was just a hoax, but it's looking to be a bit more real now... Given all the evidence suggesting that the petting simulated has been removed or at least modified, I hope we can all finally admit that skinshipping is gone.

Hahaha... some of these hypothetical scenarios are priceless.

I was personally at the Matthew Mercer Q&A in ColossalCon 2015 last June, and he basically said what you said. It wasn't so much that he was uncomfortable with the lines, it was how he had to deliver them with eye contact and a straight face, since the director felt that this was the best way to get the proper emotion into the recorded lines. I think it worked. X3

It was a very funny story and he was laughing about it since he and Patrick Seitz are very good friends. I wish I could hear all the confession stories from other actors and actresses!

With them being friends and all, I can't imagine how many takes they had to do of that one line. Hilarious... It's really too bad none of the other actors have said anything about it, maybe Patrick didn't troll them as hard.

--

Curious that the US version of Fates is larger... fingers crossed for skinship having been replaced with something that still utilizes the models, if it's really been replaced.

Was it IS that was responsible for writing the supports? The actual plot-writing went elsewhere, and I'm not sure if it was the same deal with the scripts.

Or they could solve the support problem forever by having Team Folgore Writers create 'em all

So in other words that'd be you, me, Imp, and Shin with a side of Darros? I dunno about that, Imp would make everyone gay, I'd write everyone with so little romantic inclinations that the S-supports would be even more forced, and Shin's writing would have everyone be fabulously British

You know, I've been wondering … is it really that big of a deal whether we know for sure or not? I mean, either way the decision has been made and if the game is going to drop on February 19 I doubt they have time to go back and change anything either way regarding skinship. It seems like it might be a better idea to just calm our collective selves and see if Nintendo says anything about it or not.

Edited by Sunwoo

Awakening had dual audio and still had less blocks than the Jap version though.

It sounds to me like characters in Fates' have more or less actual lines rather than just grunts and groans, whereas in Awakening maybe only a few select characters said actual sentences. Combined with dual audio, that could be why Fates takes up more blocks.

Which raises a few questions, since the US version of Fates is larger by 2028 blocks.

US: 26694 blocks

Jap: 24666 blocks

So either they've replaced skinship with something or it's here to stay in an altered manner.

not to mention but the cutscenes were redone for the english audio

and it also contained the OG JPN cutscenes

On the other hand, dual-audio is what led to Xenoblade Chronicles being a dual-layer disc for the Wii internationally due to space.

Don't underestimate how much space audio can take.

I can't tell if this comment is in support of skinship being in the game or not

anyway, those large file sizes give me hope

edit: correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bravely Default roughly the same size as it's japanese counterpart, I'm going to check I'll be back in a few

you can't even download it in japan, I'll have look for other examples

Edited by Captain Karnage

You know, I've been wondering … is it really that big of a deal whether we know for sure or not? I mean, either way the decision has been made and if the game is going to drop on February 19 I doubt they have time to go back and change anything either way regarding skinship. It seems like it might be a better idea to just calm our collective selves and see if Nintendo says anything about it or not.

Doesn't really matter, no, since as you say it's too late to do anything about it either way. It'd just be nice to know for sure one way or the other.

Edited by capmalachi

Doesn't really matter, no, since as you say it's too late to do anything about it either way. It'd just be nice to know for sure one way or the other.

I suppose it'd be nice to know for sure, at least for some people, but from what I'm seeing you guys are just causing yourselves more stress than anything else right now over this. Go play outside and smell the roses! Or rub someone's face IRL, that'll make you feel better *shot*

I suppose it'd be nice to know for sure, at least for some people, but from what I'm seeing you guys are just causing yourselves more stress than anything else right now over this. Go play outside and smell the roses! Or rub someone's face IRL, that'll make you feel better *shot*

There's so much snow outside so I don't think there's any roses growing around here hahaha.

I can't tell if this comment is in support of skinship being in the game or not

Draw your own conclusions if you want. I'm of this opinion: "Shut the fuck up and either play the game or don't."

AKA I don't really care either way.

Whoever said this thread reached enlightenment is completely right

It's not so bad now. That's why I don't believe the whole 'damage control' thing. If NoA was up front about it right from the start, this would have been handled a lot better. It's like anticipating ripping off a band-aid.

Anyway, it might just be me but I feel like the whole blocks thing is a little useless. There are a myriad of reasons why it there be more or less space.

Whoever said this thread reached enlightenment is completely right

It's not so bad now. That's why I don't believe the whole 'damage control' thing. If NoA was up front about it right from the start, this would have been handled a lot better. It's like anticipating ripping off a band-aid.

Anyway, it might just be me but I feel like the whole blocks thing is a little useless. There are a myriad of reasons why it there be more or less space.

Why would NoA say anything when this is, ultimately, going to get the game more noticed? Bad publicity or not, this kind of thing makes people curious.

Or rub someone's face IRL, that'll make you feel better *shot*

Are you volunteering? Because I'll rub your face if you want. :P

Like I said before, I have largely stopped caring. It will be what it will be. I just like running my mouth on internet forums about inconsequential crap, apparently.

Edited by capmalachi

No, the outside is scary. I can't invite people into my house to pet their faces without people screaming "the fuck is wrong with you" or "you're getting sued" or "i'm calling the cops." smh some people.

Are you volunteering? Because I'll rub your face if you want. :P

Like I said before, I have largely stopped caring. It will be what it will be. I just like running my mouth on internet forums about inconsequential crap, apparently.

Get away from me weirdo I hate physical contact

And yeah, I totally get the tendency to do that. But haven't you guys gotten exhausted of doing that too? I really have no idea where some of you get your energy because that got boring to me too.

it snowed too much there are no roses and i probably can't rub anyone's face without getting arrested

help

Im on mobile right now, otherwise this would be me responding to walls of quotes.

If this turns out to be BS, im with CRK with watching Kotaku drown and choke.

Honestly though, i feel like we're getting a version of this where the characters appear in your room, you can choose to interact with them. But instead of petting, we use the mic to SPEAK to them and thats how the heart fills up. And they talk back depending on existing support level, their responses change. If this is indeed what we get instead, it would actually be pretty cool and kinda innovative. Literally talking to your guys.