Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with the above. As much as people want to say their rage against Kotaku was justified, it doesn't sound like they were wrong. All they've confirmed is that the 'wake up' and 'post bath blow' (Phrasing!) events are in. We don't know if the full rubbing feature is back.

Edited by NekoKnight

Agreed with the above. As much as people want to say their rage against Kotaku was justified, it doesn't sound like they were wrong. All they've confirmed is that the 'wake up' and 'post bath blow' (Phrasing!) events are in. We don't know if the full rubbing feature is back.

I think what bothered me the most was that Kotaku did say it was 100% out - when technically, as it has been confirmed, it was not 100% out. So in some ways they did still jump to conclusions or it could even just be the fact that they interpreted what they heard as it being 100% gone. Because technically, the act of petting is still there - it just isn't the full blown skinship like it is in the Japanese version.

I think what bothered me the most was that Kotaku did say it was 100% out - when technically, as it has been confirmed, it was not 100% out. So in some ways they did still jump to conclusions or it could even just be the fact that they interpreted what they heard as it being 100% gone. Because technically, the act of petting is still there - it just isn't the full blown skinship like it is in the Japanese version.

Maybe, but as far as they've confirmed, skinship is still 99% out of the game and whether that last 1% counts or not is a matter of interpretation. I always associated 'skinship' with the rubbing of characters, while they mutter affectionate phrases, until their heart meter fills out, so I still consider Kotaku completely correct here. Getting on Kotaku's case about the subjective 1% is about as petty as attacking someone's typos to say their whole argument was worthless.

If the full rubbing feature is still in the game, I'll agree with the Kotaku bashers, however.

Edited by NekoKnight

My main punishment method is gone! xD Now I can only punish close people.

Indeed, I've been hearing that thing about "wake up" and such too. I guess we can wait for the game to come out before misunderstanding/fully understanding anything else, lest Soleil's mishap be repeated.

This makes even less sense as to why they took down the original direct.

Have to agree with Neko, it's not like they seem to be able to get a straight answer so I can't really fault Kotaku that much.

Is, Kotaku, really in need of hate for this one? Nintendo did say they removed it, themselves, through replied messages. So Kotaku were right at that point, and if it's only poking to wake them up, having convo's, then the skinship is gone, right? So Kotaku is right to a degree?

I have to say, this was all just a big confusing mess of rumours, leaks, incomplete statements, exaggeration, speculation, information, and misinformation. If only Nintendo had communicated better with the public and the fans, and been clear on what will and will not be present in the Western version, this whole mess could have been avoided.

Now that we have more proper information from people who have actually played review copies of the English version, it turns out the localization wasn't that bad, content was not removed, and that the censorship was very minimal. A few things are still unclear and uncertain and remain to be resolved.

Ideally we want full information before rushing to conclusions, but when we only have uncertain tidbits, we make do with what we have, and that's what fuelled this firestorm. When finally got actual solid information, whoops, it turns out the assumptions were wrong and there was no need for such an uproar after all. I'm tempted to say this whole affair was caused by a lack of information and communication...

I have to say, this was all just a big confusing mess of rumours, leaks, incomplete statements, exaggeration, speculation, information, and misinformation. If only Nintendo had communicated better with the public and the fans, and been clear on what will and will not be present in the Western version, this whole mess could have been avoided.

Now that we have more proper information from people who have actually played review copies of the English version, it turns out the localization wasn't that bad, content was not removed, and that the censorship was very minimal. A few things are still unclear and uncertain and remain to be resolved.

Ideally we want full information before rushing to conclusions, but when we only have uncertain tidbits, we make do with what we have, and that's what fuelled this firestorm. When finally got actual solid information, whoops, it turns out the assumptions were wrong and there was no need for such an uproar after all. I'm tempted to say this whole affair was caused by a lack of information and communication...

I agree with this. People all over the internet have been crying "censorship" and disliking videos of Fates and claiming that the localization is a "butchered" version of the game when in reality, very, very little has been changed or removed. I mean thinking about it, the only things that have been confirmed to be changed would be Soleil's supports (and let's be honest, that was for good reason) and the ability to rub everyone's faces, which really got old fast. That's about it, isn't it?

I almost feel bad for Nintendo due to all the heat they've been getting over all this when it's really not that bad, but they certainly should have been more open with the fanbase as opposed to being all tight-lipped about the whole thing. They left people to stew in their own anxieties and assume the worst.

Edited by Delfino

Well I'm glad the tap/rub to wake up events are still there, which is NOT the same as skinship, but still provides a nice bit of interaction.

What I'm even more interested in from the Gamespot review is where they talk about looking up and down at the character models in My Room. My main complaint was that it looked to be fixed on their face, and lasted like two seconds. But maybe if you input with the circle pad it lasts longer? I don't know if this sounds lewd or whatever but I want to take the complete models in, and at my own pace dangit!

I think that what she says is that the petting feature is in, just exclusive to your waifu/husbando. She clearly states when they ask her about the new features when someone gets married that "there is the petting and..."so yeah petting is still in. I think?

I agree with this. People all over the internet have been crying "censorship" and disliking videos of Fates and claiming that the localization is a "butchered" version of the game when in reality, very, very little has been changed or removed. I mean thinking about it, the only things that have been confirmed to be changed would be Soleil's supports (and let's be honest, that was for good reason) and the ability to rub everyone's faces, which really got old fast. That's about it, isn't it?

I almost feel bad for Nintendo due to all the heat they've been getting over all this when it's really not that bad, but they certainly should have been more open with the fanbase as opposed to being all tight-lipped about the whole thing. They left people to stew in their own anxieties and assume the worst.

I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for Nintendo because they brought it all on themselves. They could have gotten out in front of it pretty damn quickly, and given a proper explanation, but instead they stood mute and gave non-answers to folks, fueling speculation and distrust.

I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for Nintendo because they brought it all on themselves. They could have gotten out in front of it pretty damn quickly, and given a proper explanation, but instead they stood mute and gave non-answers to folks, fueling speculation and distrust.

They don't owe people answers though. I highly doubt that they intended Kotaku to go reveal it in the first place. They already addressed Soleil, so I don't think that they need to clarify everything because some people feel the need to fear monger. By this point, it's barely a problem and a lesson learned. No need to actually remember this debacle. Nintendo has too much amazing stuff to get caught up in some tiny little instance like skinshipping.

They don't owe people answers though. I highly doubt that they intended Kotaku to go reveal it in the first place. They already addressed Soleil, so I don't think that they need to clarify everything because some people feel the need to fear monger. By this point, it's barely a problem and a lesson learned. No need to actually remember this debacle. Nintendo has too much amazing stuff to get caught up in some tiny little instance like skinshipping.

I don't think it's a matter of owing people answers. It's a matter of good PR. If a month before the release of a game that's a big enough deal that it gets a special edition that sells out in minutes, a special 3DS, and its main character included in Super Smash Bros' final push of DLC, the general press about said game suddenly becomes about either people not being able to get the special edition because Nintendo failed to meet demand (again) in addition to Gamestop's screwup (not on Nintendo but still a point against the game) or about the game being censored and how we're not going to get the full experience and such and such, I think it's in the company's best interest to try and get control over the story. Sitting on your hands and hoping things will play out in your favor is an idiotic move when you can put out the fire with a two sentence explanation and a 30 second video.

And if they didn't think that a games journalist would write articles about them cutting content out of their games after they told them that they were cutting content out of their games, their PR is even dumber than I think it is.

9:16-End

You guys are in for some wonderful news. The skinship isn't completely gone. It is marriage only. You can still use the stylus to wake your wife up! GOOD! THANK YOU, NINTENDO. Not that I care but Japan should have done it this way.

Edited by PuffPuff