FE5 PM 0% growths, SSS rank with commentary (complete)

dondon151

...Why would 0% growths make it easier?

It makes the optimal stratagies more reliable (even though they end up slower). Otherwise, there would be hours upon hours of reseting for 5% movement star procs, or 3% mov growths. You also just don't have to worry about hiting benchmarks with level ups in general, which can also cause quite a few resets. Heep in mind that dondon restarts the chapter from the beginning every time the optimal events to not occur. He does not savestate abuse in ant way, and each chapter was recorded in one cut with the commentary added on afterwards.

Edited by sirmola

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

given that i finish the run way under the turn buffer, i cannot understand the logic behind the statement that this game is easier with 0% growths. manster is like 100x easier with growths and you also wouldn't have to care as much about optimal deployment configurations when you have more viable characters to work with.

the point of this run is to demonstrate that growths are completely unnecessary for a successful ranked run

now i could buy the argument that getting the minimum turncounts is easier without growths than with growths because there's only so much that i could do, but if you're LTCing this game with growths, then you'd better be RNG abusing +mov on every level up and movement star procs on every character on every turn.

Edited by dondon151

given that i finish the run way under the turn buffer, i cannot understand the logic behind the statement that this game is easier with 0% growths. manster is like 100x easier with growths and you also wouldn't have to care as much about optimal deployment configurations when you have more viable characters to work with.

the point of this run is to demonstrate that growths are completely unnecessary for a successful ranked run

now i could buy the argument that getting the minimum turncounts is easier without growths than with growths because there's only so much that i could do, but if you're LTCing this game with growths, then you'd better be RNG abusing +mov on every level up and movement star procs on every character on every turn.

Oh. The point is to SSS rank? i thought it was to LTC. (and yes, by easier, i mean "more reliable", which movement star procs and mov growths are not. THe logic for this is that replaying a chapter until all such events occure has got to be incredibly tedious. I admit that "amount of planning required" is probably a better definition.)

Edited by sirmola

It's both. Also you do know that movement stars are still a factor in 0% growths, right? Dondon just chose to remove them, which anyone playing a growths run could opt to do as well (they could even opt to not use move procs as well, should reliability be a concern).

you probably need a tool to view the RNG. viewing the stat page and bringing up the battle forecast are two easy ways to advance the RNG.

Oh. The point is to SSS rank? i thought it was to LTC. (and yes, by easier, i mean "more reliable", which movement star procs and mov growths are not. THe logic for this is that replaying a chapter until all such events occure has got to be incredibly tedious. I admit that "amount of planning required" is probably a better definition.)

the point is to LTC while also SSS ranking. yumi_fujibayashi asked whether SSS ranking was easier without growths.

LTCing with growths always requires more RNG abuse, but i don't agree that more RNG abuse equates to difficulty.

Edited by dondon151

i don't agree that more RNG abuse equates to difficulty.

Probably a more consistent option than mine. I just really dislike tedium (although something like an RNGdisplay script might cut down on tedium a lot).

Chapter 5 is completed in 15 turns.

Chapter information

New characters

6mve3mK.png
Nanna (ナンナ) - Troubadour L1
5 > 8 mov | pursuit critical coefficient = 1 | 0 leadership stars
Skills: Charm

Every aspect about Nanna oozes support: she can deal hefty chip damage but isn't powerful enough to plow through enemies; she can use staves but not at a high enough level to do anything beyond basic healing; she has an ability that effectively supports everyone on top of having real supports with a handful of good units.

Where there is an available deployment slot, Nanna is typically great filler purely for the Charm bonus that she provides.

Important weapons and items

018.gifEarth Sword (だいちの剣)
Prf rank sword | 1-2 rng | 9 WT | 12 MT | 80 hit | 0 crit | absorbs HP

Nanna's special sword, much like Leif's special sword, is a relic of her deceased (or petrified) mother. The Earth Sword is essentially the ancestor of the Runesword in later games - it absorbs HP when it strikes an enemy target. Against sufficiently weak enemies, the Earth Sword makes Nanna virtually invincible, but it's much less useful against enemies who double or OHKO her.

8E.pngPure Water (せいすい)
Pure Water raises the users mag by 7; the boost decreases by 1 each turn.

The chief consequence of FE5's mag = res paradigm is that items that previously boosted defensive power now also boost offensive power. Chapter 5 is one of the rare instances in this game in which Pure Water is required for its defensive boost; it's better used to squeeze out up to 7 HP more damage per hit out of our magic users (up to 14 HP more if they get a critical hit).

Mechanics notes

Eyvel's deathmatch

The trickiest aspect of reliably completing this chapter is properly managing the fight going on in the gladiatorial arena at the map's center. Raydrik and Veld are playing with their food, testing Eyvel against a wave of promoted enemies. Here's what you need to know about this part of the chapter:

• Eyvel is still invincible. However, she can be captured, and she is petrified immediately after getting captured.
  • Opening the door to the arena will also trigger the cutscene in which Eyvel gets petrified.
  • Reinforcements appear at the start of each enemy phase depending on how many arena enemies are alive. The reinforcements that appear are a swordmaster, a berserker, and Galzus.
  • There are 2 conditions for Mareeta showing up: she appears either at the start of enemy phase after Eyvel kills her first arena enemy, or she appears immediately after a player unit ends his turn in the corridor on the right side of the map. Mareeta counts as an arena enemy, so spawning her on player phase prevents an arena enemy from spawning. Eyvel will not counterattack Mareeta.
  • After Eyvel is petrified, Mareeta is warped away and Galzus will leave if present. All other remaining enemies will proceed to chase after Leif. This is bad.

For the fastest possible completion, I want to avoid spawning extra enemies before Eyvel is petrified. Eyvel can only afford to kill 1 enemy before turn 2 enemy phase. She then has an enemy and player phase to kill the 2 remaining enemies.

Enemy/NPC stat variation

If you've played any other game in this franchise, you'd be accustomed to enemies having predictable stats. A particular L10 enemy armor knight, for example, will always have a particular amount of HP, spd, def, etc. +/- 1 point, maybe 2 at maximum in some games.

FE5 doesn't offer this consistency because its auto-level system is wacky. Almost all enemies in this game have 1 of 6 possible growth rate spreads, 4 of which are used for physical classes and the other 2 of which are reserved for magical classes. On top of this, the game adds a random 0-3 points to each non-mov stat after applying auto-levels. It's not surprising to see any given enemy have up to a 5 point range in any of their stats between resets. This large variation complicates devising reliable strategies.

f75YOR5.png
These are from the same priest that I checked in the video. Appreciate the variation in his stats, especially bld.

If that wasn't bad enough, all enemies have a 10% chance to have an extra point of mov. This can be devastating because some strategies rely on skirting an enemy's predicted range. It's unreasonable to always design strategies to account for events that happen only 10% of the time.

Continue.gifAdept

FE5's version of Adept is identical to FE10's version: it grants an AS % chance of getting an extra attack for every one of the users normal attacks. Adept is innate to all sages and swordmasters in this game.

Charisma.gifCharm

Charm is a simple skill: it gives +10 hit and avo to all allies within a 3 tile radius. Think of it as a support bonus that affects everyone. Unlike support bonuses, Charm does not take effect if the unit with the skill is being carried by someone else.

Edited by dondon151

Nice chapter. I'm pretty sure Ch.5 always has the longest turn count in any kind of run due to lack of Warping, no mounting and the long "Go Around The Block" design style that's quite notorious in other maps in the series. (Most notable FE3-II Ch.3 and FE6 Ch.8)

For the record, the two chests above the Dark Mages have a Lockpick and a Skill Ring.

Rest in Detention Center

It's actually a lot less effort than walking along with Leaf's crew with that armor, come to think of it.

Chapter 6 is completed in 7 turns.

Chapter information

New characters

cmxPufB.png

Hicks (ヒックス) - Axe knight L6
5 > 8 mov | pursuit critical coefficient = 2 | 0 leadership stars

Hicks is a family man.

Mechanics notes

Skill manuals

Skill manuals are pretty self-explanatory. They permanently teach a unit the skill specified. There doesn’t appear to be any capacity system for skills in FE5, so a unit can learn as many skills as the game provides.

Is facing crit on your units a common occurrence in FE5? How relevant are these scrolls?

it's pretty common because skl == crit and luk/2 == crit evade

like orsin and dagdar need one at all times, and there are a handful of enemies here and there with killers to watch out for

if you look through the list of base stats, a good amount of combat units have 6 or less base luk: asvel, fred, glade, dean, ralph, xavier in addition to the pair listed above

Edited by dondon151

Based Hicks and his meaty 30 HP and 15 con. He's kinda crap but I still love him anyway.

Anyway, this run has been a joy to watch so far. I had no idea how the Eyvel in the arena stuff worked. I would be terrified to see Galzus there on a blind run, especially not knowing that Eyvel has perma-miracle.