FE5 PM 0% growths, SSS rank with commentary (complete)

dondon151

Chapter 8 is completed in 4 turns.

Chapter information

New characters

3JLW8uw.png

Carrion (カリオン) - Cavalier L1
5 > 8 mov | pursuit critical coefficient = 4 | 0 leadership stars

Carrion is garbage. We already have a handful of good mounted units, and even more will be joining in future chapters.

Mechanics notes

Formation

The ability to rearrange your units’ starting formation seems like a no-brainer in a tactical RPG such as Fire Emblem, but this simple luxury didn’t exist before FE6. Starting formation in FE5 depends solely on deployment order.

zBpp3EA.png

Above image is from FEWoD.

For example, in chapter 8, the deployed unit first after Leif in the unit order starts in slot 1, the next deployed unit starts in slot 2, and so on.

In many cases, starting formation matters a little less in this game because of how powerful staves are. However, in chapters in which Leif’s army is divided into multiple groups, the inability to rearrange starting formation at will is the source of much frustration for all but the most prepared players. The only way to influence starting formation at all is to carefully adjust unit deployment schemes in chapters leading up to an important chapter. This presents a unique challenge, but it’s not one that most players are keen on doing.

Elite.gif Paragon

Paragon has exactly the same effect in this game as it has in every other game: it doubles EXP gain for the unit with the skill. Paragon’s EXP multiplier stacks with Paragon mode’s EXP multiplier, leading to quadrupled EXP gain for units with the skill. Like in every other Fire Emblem game, the game caps EXP gain from any single action at 100.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone love Carrion so much? He's got decent enough growths, but it's not like you don't have better units than him at that point.

I think people like how he is a good lance user that they can continue to use indoors without having an entierly new weapon rank. (the 4 pcc helps)

Edited by sirmola

Not having played FE5 yet, is it possible to not be able to satisfy the minimum deployment requirement on this chapter if enough units (somehow) are too fatigued?

Edited by Radiant Dragon

I know for a fact that if you can't field enough units because of unit deaths, you get a game over. Makes me wonder if the same is true for fatigue. Especially since I imagine it'd be pretty hard for the game to see the option of using an S-drink on someone.

i used my chapter 7 movie to test this out, escaping only with nanna and leif and leaving everyone else behind. including orsin, halvan, and ronan, there are 5 total units available for chapter 8:

HkwFJv4.png

(the sixth guy on the map is carrion obviously)

needless to say, the game doesn't game over or otherwise prevent you from going into battle with fewer than the minimum deployment limit. however, you are not permitted to deselect any deployed units in this case.

there's a subtle difference that i noticed which is that normally, there are no units aside from leif selected for deployment in the unit select screen by default. but if you have fewer than the minimum deployment limit, all units (presumably only those eligible due to fatigue) are selected by default.

Edited by dondon151

Makes you wonder if you can cheat that through leaving units behind / killing units off and having units that still are fatigued for the next battle.

Probably more work than what it's worth, or someone answered it already.

Chapter 8x is completed in 6 turns.

Chapter information

Important weapons and items

8F.pngTorch (たいまつ)

A Torch extends a unit’s vision range by 10 tiles. This effect decreases by 1 tile every turn.

Torches are quite powerful at cutting through the prohibitively dark fog of war in this game. Recall that tiles must be first revealed before anything special can be done on them, so in this chapter, a unit wouldn’t be able to open a door or chest if it wasn’t already visible.

Mechanics notes

Duel.gif Charge

Charge is one of the few skills in FE5 that have not returned in a future FE game (it has returned in later Kaga games, though). Charge is a skill with nuance. When a unit with Charge enters combat, the game compares his current HP and AS with the opponent’s current HP and AS. If both are greater, then the Charge user will enter a second round of combat after the first. Keep in mind that these criteria are checked before the first round of combat, not after (where it would make more sense).

Novice players do not like Charge because there are common situations in which the skill is detrimental. If the unit with Charge satisfies activation criteria but can’t attack, then he’ll eat an extra attack. If the opponent has high atk or if both units have fairly low HP, then Charge activation can lead to premature death. However, instances abound in which Charge improves strategic reliability, so experienced players tend to have a better appreciation for the skill.

related content

i think i might go back and give thracia another run. dialogue like that is sort of complex which already builds on a mechanic heavy game. this might actually be the best fire emblem game.

Edited by Sparks