[FE7] How to make Chars List Bigger than FF

marlon0024

I was just trying to add more chars to my character list, the list is already expanded at an offset that has enough space to fill another 255 chars at least. But When i try to add a new char in Nigthmare, with the nmm and text lists ready to do so, it goes back to the list start, 0x00 None. I think if i just fill the char data, the game is gonna brick or it wont load anything. Is there any other way to add more characters?.

And another cuestion, How do i add more classes, the list is already expanded, and same than above, with enough space to doble the default class list, but when i load a new class in chapter, it just brick the rom, i think is has something to do with the map sprites list...

Edited by marlon0024

Class expansion patch

As for having more than 0xFF characters: You can't.

When the game loads a unit, it only reads 1 byte to figure which character to load. No more, no less (not without serious assembly modifications).

The highest value a single byte can have is 0xFF, and having more than that many characters would require 2 bytes.

bit of a headscratcher that FE7 and probably the other GBA games only have one character byte, I suppose they were more efficient (or more lazy)

in FE4/5 there are two bytes and it allows for that higher limit (65535) despite having much less ROM space, although there's data for only about 600 characters at most

I would suggest leaning on the end of more efficiency if you find yourself with a shortage of character space

Edited by Lamia