Which is your Favorite and Least Favorite Pokemon Generation

Busterman64

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Pokemon Generation?

2. 2. Which is your least favorite Pokemon Generation?

My curiosity was recently sparked when on another discussion and I just wanted to know what you all think about the different Pokemon Generations (and share mine as well)!

:Joshua:

Edited by Busterman64

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite is gen 4, and not simply because it was technically the first one I played (Diamond and Pearl were the first mainstream Pokemon games I ever got to play). Sinnoh is my favorite region and it has a lot of Pokemon designs I like. It also has my favorite E4 member, Flint. And Looker debuted here and he's one of my favorite characters. :) Platinum is my favorite game in the series aside from X. I enjoyed the Distortion World part of the story and Team Galactic was pretty awesome too. Heck, my favorite Pokemon music is also in these games! Cynthia's champion theme is my favorite champion battle music and Team Galactic Battle is my favorite piece in the series. Oh, and Cynthia = best champion. The only issues I ever had were the slow gameplay and lack of Fire types in Diamond and Pearl, and Platinum fixed that stuff.

Gen 3 is my least favorite. I disliked almost everything. I don't like Hoenn or most of the Pokemon in it (Aggron and Mightyena are the only ones I really like). And this is coming from someone that usually likes tropical locations. The story is meh to me too.

Edited by Anacybele

I picked Gen V as my favourite- and weirdly enough it wasn't the first Pokemon Gen that I played (that would be Gen IV, which was a very close second). The reasons for this are:

1) Story- White easily has the best story in the mainstream Pokemon series. Honest to Naga, I loved it. N is an amazing character and Ghestis (whose name I can never pronounce correctly) was a villain that I loved to hate.

2) Region- Frankly I love Unova. The locations are really interesting and Village Bridge is one of my favourite areas in ANY VIDEO GAME.

3) Pokemon- White 2 has such a large Pokedex (AND YOU CAN CATCH EEVEES IN THE WILD OMN ITS AMAZING!) and the new Pokemon in Gen V are really cool! :) Zekrom, Tornadus, Melotta, Snivy, Oshawatt, Sawsbuck.... The list goes on and one for me. :)

4) Post-Game- White 2's Postgame is incredible. There is so much to do in that game it's crazy. Films? FIGHTING EVERY SINGLE GYM LEADER, ELITE FOUR MEMBER AND CHAMPION IN THE SERIES UP UNTIL THAT POINT? Catching a ton of Legendaries? There's a lot...

5) Music- Village Bridge. Enough said.

6) Graphics- I actually prefer the Graphics in Gen V to the 3D Models in Gen VI. They're pretty and they have a lot of character.

Least favourite, like Anacybele (I haven't played Gen I or II btw) is Gen III. I dunno. It just doesn't appeal to me as the others. Considering that Pokemon Ruby is the only Pokemon game I haven't completed (as it felt really tedious to play) it's an easy decision to make. Gen VI is my 2nd least favourite though, as it didn't have the spark which Gen IV and Gen V had.

tbh it's kinda tough to choose a favourite for me personally. in gen 6 i love ORAS and whilst i enjoy X and Y it's not nearly to the extent of ORAS. i adore BW2 but don't enjoy the originals all that much due to region linearity and forcing you to only use new pokemon and a bit of an overly complex story. gen 4 is overall probably my 2nd fav due to sinnoh, great new mechanics, characters, new much needed evolutions etc. also HGSS are great remakes. but my fav is gen 3 partly because it's my home gen but also because of how vast and interesting hoenn is as a region and the more tropical designs of the pokemon introduced. it also had good remakes of the gen 1 games. but what pushes it as best for me are the spin offs, the orre games whilst not perfect tried doing something diffrent (especially coliseum) in terms of gameplay and storytelling. it also introduced the mystery dungeon games which whilst i'm not the biggest fan of over more unique gameplay, great soundtracks and a decent challenge.

My favorite is gen 4, and not simply because it was technically the first one I played (Diamond and Pearl were the first mainstream Pokemon games I ever got to play). Sinnoh is my favorite region and it has a lot of Pokemon designs I like. It also has my favorite E4 member, Flint. And Looker debuted here and he's one of my favorite characters. :) Platinum is my favorite game in the series aside from X. I enjoyed the Distortion World part of the story and Team Galactic was pretty awesome too. Heck, my favorite Pokemon music is also in these games! Cynthia's champion theme is my favorite champion battle music and Team Galactic Battle is my favorite piece in the series. Oh, and Cynthia = best champion. The only issues I ever had were the slow gameplay and lack of Fire types in Diamond and Pearl, and Platinum fixed that stuff.

Gen 3 is my least favorite. I disliked almost everything. I don't like Hoenn or most of the Pokemon in it (Aggron and Mightyena are the only ones I really like). And this is coming from someone that usuallly likes tropical locations. The story is meh to me too.

My favorite is Gen 4 too. I've technically played Gen 3 first, but...that was only for like maybe 20 minutes when I was a kid (and traded it into GameStop). It wasn't until Platinum when I actually "played" a Pokemon game. Its pretty much where I started in the series and holds a special place in my heart. While it was a fun game, it was pretty challenging too. That and I had a lot to do in it too.

Also, Cynthia......COOLEST. GIRL. EVAR! :3

Even as kid I always found her so cool, and her Champion theme is golden (I love it so much. So you imagine me in Gen 5 postgame)! This game being my first pokemon game, I never really noticed how slower paced it was until I moved on to other games and came back.

Lastly, it's the only Pokemon game I've gotten my team to level 100 (I was getting close to beating it in Gen 6) since I only ever used 5-6 Pokemon most of the time! This is also the only Gen where I actually like using a certain legendary...Giratina! I've played the game more times than there are generations (I restarted this game many times as a kid)! I need to go back to it though, I haven't played it in years! Thanks to a certain Yotuber though (Chuggaconroy) and now I have a Job, I can actually do that! I did try Pearl at one point years later, but it didn't feel the same. The most apparent being the absents of Looker, who I also grew pretty attached to.

Now my least favorite gen, while kinda close, is Gen 6 (Gen 3 being close). I actually do really like Gen 6, but the challenge wasn't that high. I had a pretty easy time going through almost every part of the game. Heck, the Elite 4 was kinda a let down for me. I blazed through them pretty quickly (I beat 3 in like 10 minutes). I kinda got unlucky(and did something stupid) during the fourth fight and lost, but they were pretty easy. It wasn't like I was over leveled either (not that I remembered), it was just easy. The story was pretty ok in my books. It actually did surprise me at one point, so it gets kudos for that! ;3

There also wasn't much to do after the end of the game (except collecting Mega Stones, playing the "butchered" safari zone, and hanging out with Looker...ok, that one wasn't so bad).

Customization was pretty fun and I had a fun time hunting legendaries (Except the birds. Screw them! I could never catch or ever really find Articuno! It was a major pain...)!

Funny thing though, I will kinda prefer Gen 3 over Gen 6, but I've NEVER beaten Gen 3! That's mainly because I usually stop playing around the same point (after getting the sixth bagde...I think). Every. Single. Time! It never fails for me! I just lose interest at that point and I don't know why! I really want to finish it( with the remake and all), but I just always find a way not to! This game's completion is about 6 years over due (I've restarted this game...um...I've lost count after 3 or )! I'll beat this game...eventually.

3 is my favorite for many reasons, the main one being that it was the last time Pokemon was truly a community game for me. After that all my friends dropped out

I loved the secret bases, I loved the Pokemon introduced, and it was the last map in a Pokemon game that actually felt like I was on a journey rather than the most inconvenient hallway ever. and FRLG are the definitive Pokemon games for me.

5 is everything Pokemon could do wrong in my eyes. The progression is a literal straight line, the music sounds like cats vomiting in a house fan, the encounter rates are obnoxiously through the roof, Reshiram and Zekrom are the ugliest legendaries I've seen, not one of the starters was cool, the only thing I like 5 for is the introduction of post 100 EV training and Volcarona.

What exactly do you mean by Generations? As in the regions or the games?

I need to know because those are vastly different answers for me.

People mean each series of games that were released, not including remakes.

Gen 1: Red, Blue, Yellow

Gen 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal

Gen 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald

Gen 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum

Gen 5: Black, White, Black 2, White 2

Gen 6: X, Y

Gen III is my favorite, as it introduced a lot of cool features (secret bases, contests, diving, the Regi trio moon logic puzzle). It's also got many mons that I like, so that doesn't hurt. Honestly, it was pretty tough to decide between it and Gen V, which I also love.

Gen VI I voted as my least favorite... idk what happened there really, I just found Team Flare and the rivals uninteresting, and I didn't really like any of the new mons (except Xerneas, the Aegislash line, and Sylveon). I did like the new Exp. share and the new type match-ups though, especially the fairy type. Now if we could just get some more eeveelutions.

Edited by Griffonite

what exactly is a "generation"

because my favorite pokemon game is fire red

would that fall under gen 3 or gen 1

Gen 3. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Generation_III

It also lists what mainline games are in what generation at the bottom of that page if you still have any confusion.

As for me, Gen 5 is my favourite. BW have the best story in the series and BW2 have the best single-player gameplay in the series. I love the animated sprites, the overworld graphics, the music, the new Pokémon (special shoutout to BW taking the gutsy decision to use all-new Pokémon for the whole story), I love it all.

As for least favourite, well... It wouldn't be fair of me to say Gen 1 just because it hasn't aged well at all, so, Gen 3. I didn't like the GBA graphics or music, and most of the Hoenn Pokémon designs aren't to my taste at all.

Gen 6 comes a close second because I can't stand Mega Evolution and everything in XY/ORAS felt super shallow. It was the first generation that made me have to get away from Pokémon for a while because I just hated it so much. Still, they're the most accessible games for competitive battling by far, and that's enough of a plus to get over Gen 3 for me.

My favorite is gen V because not only did it basically remind me of why I like Pokemon it has one of my favorite stories.

Least is gen 3 it's mostly because of the legendary Pokemon in it

Wait are we just taking the Pokemon in the generation or the games too...

Cause if it is just the Pokemon then,

Gen 1 has my favorite Pokemon designs (cause they are just classic)

Gen 5 has least favorite Pokemon designs (some are just ugly see Vallinite and Trubbish)

If we are taking games then,

Gen 3 (R/S/E) is my favorite, runner ups Gen 5 (B2/W2) (I played Yellow as a kid, but it wasn't till Ruby that I got back into the Pokemon games so it holds a special place in my heart)

Gen 6 (X/Y) is my least favorite (I snored though X's campaign, is it just me or is X/Y just easier then most Pokemon games)

Edited by Locke087

Gen 5 has least favorite Pokemon designs (some are just ugly see Vallinite and Trubbish)

If we are taking games then,

Gen 3 (R/S/E) is my favorite, runner ups Gen 5 (B2/W2) (I played Yellow as a kid, but it wasn't till Ruby that I got back into the Pokemon games so it holds a special place in my heart)

Gen 6 (X/Y) is my least favorite (I snored though X's campaign, is it just me or is X/Y just easier then most Pokemon games)

I largely assume it's more about the games themselves.

Anyways, Gen 1 is my least favorite for the reasons Yoshi stated. and Gen 6 my favorite (in all honesty, however, I like all the generations from the third after; I skipped GSC, so can't say anything on those).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Gen1: Really like this gen, the anime is also great even with some mistakes but I only played Firered (I also like a lot of pokémon in here).

Gen2: Unfortunately, I can't say something about this gen since I never played a single game but at least it introduced 2 new eevolutions.

Gen3: I like the legendaries of this gen and the story but the pokémon are meh sometimes

Gen4: I had fun... I think, my level 100 torterra and my 3 shinies say hi (and 2 eevolutions).

Gen5: I wish I could see something good about it but nothing really surprised me in this gen.

Gen6: Too easy but fun (hi Sylveon).

Edited by Nym

I only dislike IV, and I love II more than the others

HGSS ruined Johto omg, and Sinnoh was boring.

I liked BW because I enjoyed a ton of Pokemon like Vanilluxe, Haxorus, Sigilyph, Simisear, or Zoroark, but B2W2 was bad. also garbodor is good and people need to find a new pokemon to complain about like binacle

The rest of the games are really good.

Gen 3 will always be my favourite because of the secret bases, Battle Frontier, Rayquaza, Jirachi, etc.

Gen 4 is my least favourite - it was really boring imo and I didn't like a lot of the Pokemon in this gen. Like the idea of myths and folklore are interesting, but I'd rather hear it, than read in game books about it.

Edited by carefreejules

Gen 4's my favourite, partly because Platinum was my first game, but also because it has my favourite Gym Leader, starter and Pokemon. If you can't tell by my signature.

My least favourite's gen one because of how slow the movement is and some of the Pokemon designs are boring. Like how Muk is just a pile of sludge with arms and a face.

That's just how I personally decided which is my favorite. 1 has most of my favorite designs, and 5 has most of my least favorite, so they are my favorite and least favorite, respectively.

If I were to base it on my favorite games, then FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and X/Y would be the contenders. So I guess that'd be 1, 2, and 6.

Like how Muk is just a pile of sludge with arms and a face.

And an ice cream cone with a face and a living pile of trash get a pass...?

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

My fave is Gen 3!

Everything about is so amazing!

Hoenn is by far the most colorful and unique region, with so many interesting things! So many different things that the other regions lack!

It also introduced Secret Bases and Contests, which I really like!

Many of my favorite pokemon are from Gen 3, and it has one of my favorite characters, Steven!

Also, many of my favorite spin-off are from Gen 3.

There's not a Gen that I dislike.

I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1 (my first Pokemon game was Red) and all the Gens have a special place in my heart.

Edited by Water Mage