Which is your Favorite and Least Favorite Pokemon Generation

Busterman64

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Pokemon Generation?

2. 2. Which is your least favorite Pokemon Generation?

I might have posted here before but idc

Favorites: Gens II and III. Great main games, a lot of good Pokemon, great Spinoffs, interesting regions, and fun MCs.

Middles: I and VI. I love I, but it doesn't really hold up today. VI was short and kind of lacking in Spinoffs, which I consider very important.

Least Favorites: IV and V. I hate Looker and Sinnoh immensely. The Pokedex is bland even in Platinum, and even Platinum is slow. I love GSC but dislike HGSS. Unova was slow with a terrible experience system and I don't like the visual style. A lot of Pokemon have good designs like Maractus but are still utterly forgettable.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite: IV

Least Favorite: VI

Platinum is like...my 2nd favorite game right now. I love the more dark atmosphere of Sinnoh, it presented the attack/special attack split, it has my favorite roster of Pokemons, the gym leaders are memorable, the music is top tier awesomness, Team Galactic and Cyrus were g8, Cynthia is a really interesting character and I hold many fond memories from my childhood when I used to play Diamond and Pearl with my cousin all the time. HG is also the beat remake so far.

Gen VI started awesome but it declined in quality the more I thought and played it. The roster is really small but not awful, Team Flare is idiotic, Kalos cared more for visuals in your face rather than challenge, the music is just alright, Gym Leaders and Elite 4 were unmemorable and it only had 1 main series game and 1 remake before jumping straight to Gen 7 recently. Which is a shame since it could have done so much more.

Overall: 4>5>2>3>1>6

Gen V is my absolute favorite. I firmly believe that B2W2 are the best games in the series, and I hope that Sun and Moon take inspiration from it when it comes to content.

I feel that the worst gen is Gen VI. XY are awful, boring, overly-simplified shells of good Pokemon games, and ORAS is a lazily made cash grab directed to the biggest and most vocal fanbase in Pokemon for the nostalgia bucks. The only good parts of those games are the "applications," like DexNav, Amie, revamped EV training, and Wonder Trade. I also like Mega Evolution. ORAS has the best soundtrack in the series, though.

Competitively, Gen 3 struck this nice balance between agressive play and stall with how it played, even if it was janky due to no special/physical split yet and ability distribution being questionable at times

Gen 2 is so stall based its not funny, the addition of SkarmBliss and Curse was just ugh

In terms of gameplay, my favorite by far was generation 2. The sheer level of unbridled content, now that was a goddamned sequel. Seriously, getting to go back through the world of the previous game? And Lugia's my favorite Pokemon ever.

Gen 3... I didn't hate it, I had a ton of fun with it, but it had my least favorite legendaries and starters of any generation.

• 4 weeks later...

So I picked gen 4 as my favourite partially because they are great and partially because first gen that I played bias. Sinnoh had a really interesting lore behind it and all the legendaries and their roles where interesting (Dialga is the best). The plot was also really interesting for me and the difficulty was perfect because the game was actually a challenge. But Cynthias Garchomp can go die in a hole full of blizzards. and then you had the Gold and Silver remakes to top off the gen.

Gen 5 was easily my least favourite gen. For starters there was one region and speaking of starters they where horrible. The region has like no lore, the seasons where cool and I actually would have liked if that was added onto. Team Plasma are boring, and have stupid outfits. The rivals are horrible. I'm sorta mixed on the pokemon some where good. some where okay and some where horrible (looking at you Eelecktross). The metagame is plagued with bad weather and to top everything off Unova was the only region in the generation. And it was far too straightforward as a region

Edited by Mackc2

Favorite is V because I like its Pokemon designs. Yes even Trubbish, the little guy is cute. The story was great. I actually remember every gym leaders name and it has my favorite E4. (Also Bisharp)

I greatly enjoyed every generation up to 6. Boring as hell and way too easy even without the exp share. When the champion can be swept by a Bisharp we have a problem. I also hate Tierno. And Shauna.

• 4 weeks later...

Favourite is V because i love the designs of the pokemon(even garbodor and kligklang).The story was great.Pokestar studios was a great time killer.It had great music.And it had the best victory road and league.

Middle II,III,Iv

Least favourite is gen I.It hasn't aged well.Also some people say garbodor,kligklang and vannilish have bad designs but completely forget that voltorb,elecrode,muk and exeggcute exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Gen 4 is my favorite because it was the only one that I had when I had friends to play with. Most of my friends either got annoying, left or just stopped playing. Also, it is my first one, so that plays a part.

And my least favorite is Gen 2, because I like all the others in their own way and Gen 2 offered little even with the 16 gym leaders. Also, I found the lack of direction after jhoto's E4 really disconcerting. I like it, but it's still my least favorite.

Favorite : Gen 2 because 16 badges and best rival. But I like 4G, 5G and 6G a lot too. Gen 1 is like whatever.

Least : Gen 3 because
1. Too much water. (This is serious)
2. Blaziken (It's the only 'mon I hate and that since it's first appearance, also Fuck Game Freak bias for this 'mon, Charizard and Greninja too)
3. So easy it hurts, with the worst gym ever a.k.a. Double is bad and GF should feel bad to make this the official format.

Edited by Tharne

GF should feel bad to make this the official format.

They did that for a reason. Wobuffet was such a problem in Gen III competetive with Leftovers, as there was no way to end a battle with two leftovers wobuffet. Neither could escape, and both would just struggle forever than heal all the damage they took from it. Doubles also tend to have more viable Pokémon, as assists are more usable.

It also lets for more complicated strategies involving teamwork between two Pokémon.

They did that for a reason. Wobuffet was such a problem in Gen III competetive with Leftovers, as there was no way to end a battle with two leftovers wobuffet. Neither could escape, and both would just struggle forever than heal all the damage they took from it. Doubles also tend to have more viable Pokémon, as assists are more usable.

It also lets for more complicated strategies involving teamwork between two Pokémon.

Seeing Primal Legendaries + Xerneas + Mega-Kang and Mega-Salamence left and right doesn't seem to be really "more viable Pokemon".

And I hate that in ORAS they gave some Mega shit talents because of 2V2 :

They gave Mega-Gallade Inner Focus because they thought for some reason that it would stop Mega-Kang...fools, and now in some other format he's bad because of that.

Same with the poor Mega-Sceptile getting Ligthning Rod with an already impressive x4 resist to Elec...

For Megas, imo, Talents are maybe the most important thing, they should all receive something good.

Oh yeah, I'm salty. Really hope 7G brings balancing but I don't think so.

Too much water is a terrible complaint. The water routes are easily skippable and they exist so you can get stuff like Starmie, Corsola, Lanturn, Wailord, and Kingdra without cramming them all in the same routes. It's actually incredibly admirable.

A better complaint would be that Hoenn pushes all of its water to one place, thus making many Pokemon that are actually really cool be too late to be usable. 3/4 of Hoenn's water types come after Lilycove. This sort of applies for Walrein and Glalie, who also come too late because of a lot of the water.

Doubles balancing is a perfectly fine thing because so many Pokemon are already balanced for Singles. Gallade, Sceptile, and Audino all have abilities that may be more fit for Doubles, but why does it matter? Abilities are variable for a reason. Stuff like Stench and Run Away don't even work outside of single player.

I still have to go through them to reach certain areas, and some required places can only be reached by water before registered for fly. Like, say, Sootopolis. Water routes are incredibly boring and generally have nothing interesting.

So yes "Too much water" is an understandable complaint.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Too much water is a terrible complaint. The water routes are easily skippable and they exist so you can get stuff like Starmie, Corsola, Lanturn, Wailord, and Kingdra without cramming them all in the same routes. It's actually incredibly admirable.

A better complaint would be that Hoenn pushes all of its water to one place, thus making many Pokemon that are actually really cool be too late to be usable. 3/4 of Hoenn's water types come after Lilycove. This sort of applies for Walrein and Glalie, who also come too late because of a lot of the water.

Doubles balancing is a perfectly fine thing because so many Pokemon are already balanced for Singles. Gallade, Sceptile, and Audino all have abilities that may be more fit for Doubles, but why does it matter? Abilities are variable for a reason. Stuff like Stench and Run Away don't even work outside of single player.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Water_route Look the number of sea routes. If they were not at the same place it would be even worse imo, I don't want to surf every three routes. (I hope that 7G will be boat travels for the main part)

Gallade, Sceptile and Audino have abilities that fit Doubles but are not even played in Doubles because those are bad abilities to begin with. Mega are the top of the top, they shouldn't have bad abilities imo, especially when they give broken shit to others.

Edited by Tharne

Favorite Gen is III. It was the Gen I enjoyed most, specially because I got my favorite type since the beginning! Psychic!! It also had Poochyena as a dark pokemon and I love these types. I was bored of standard Normal pokemon from Gen I and II, so I totally loved the twist. The mix of Blaziken, Gardevoir and Mightyena was super cool!! Later on in ORAS I chose Sceptile because Blaziken was already marketed enough in X/Y. I loved the OST, the feels, it was so vivid and colorful, and the themes of land/sea was appealing to me. Although it had a lot of water but I think that's the core part of the game. If only they would've improved notoriously the gameplay on water, things would've been better. But I regret nothing.

Least Gen: it's a mix between V and VI. I have pretty much no solid reason to dislike Gen V because I didn't play it, but the pokemon spread in general is not appealing to me nor interesting. I found Gen VI a bit lacklustre: the pokemon were a mix between cool and totally meh, the overworld was decent at best, nothing impressive, I also found Lumiose City laberynth-like which confused me when reaching certain areas. But overall, it's not a huge hatred, just some nitpickings here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

lolwut? Hoenn's water routes aren't skippable. Okay, maybe a couple are, but you have to go through most of them to reach Sootopolis City, Evergrande City, and where Kyogre/Groudon is. I hated this. Too much water is a perfectly fine complaint against Hoenn. I just wouldn't use it as the only argument for why the games are bad. That would indeed be stupid.

Water routes are boring too, like Glac said.

Edited by Anacybele

Hoenn doesn't have too much water, but does have too many Tentacool.

Yeah, the lack of variety in the Water route is my main complain about them.

They're honnestly boring and annoying (Going Underwater was fun, though.)

My favourite is Gen V by far. Except Hugh, everything about BW and B2W2 is great. I probably wouldn't be a Pokémon Fan anymore without it.

​There may be some issues here and there. BW is weirdly constructed with half the map being post game only. But, there are many great parts. And I respect Game Freak a lot for doing something so different.

My least favourite is Gen IV (sans HGSS).

Pokemon could have ended after it, and I won't have been surprised or even sad. I know I'm incredibly harsh towards it, and I always have bad faith towards this game. I can't help it, because my reproach isn't really against this generation (I had my first Shiny adn PokéRus, so I have good memories about it.), but what it implied about the future of the franchise (and thankfully, Game Freak proved me wrong. Another important reason I like Gen V so damn much.) I was getting older and Pokémon stayed childlish. And after Gen 3 had such bombastic, flambloyant music, they opted for a simpler track (it isn't a bad track, just different.). I would continue to buy new games, but I feared I would ever feels the same way about Pokémon again.

Again, HGSS was the perfect remake so it doesn't counts here. HGSS are some of my top games with BW and B2W2 (B2W2 being a mix of Gen II and BW made me love it immediately)

...And that's why i'm awaiting a Gen IV Remake so much. I want to give this game the chance it truly deserves.

• 3 years later...

After some serious consideration, I have come to the conclusion that my favorite gen is gen 2. Not for any specific reason, more because I genuinely enjoy most of the pokemon from gen 2. This may also be slight bias as I started with gen 2.

My least favorite is gen 5. I played Black, disliked most of the pokemon's designs, and the story in Black wasn't enough to save the game to me. It was the first and only time I didn't buy the different games of the new gen (B2W2) because I disliked the base game so much.

Gen IV is easily my favorite~

Gen II (and HGSS) is an abomination. Story is worthless, level scaling is atrocious, and Pokemon that were literally introduced in this game are held off until the post-game in an entirely separate region that didn't even need to be in the game in the first place. 

Gen V is a close second, in large part due to the characters: Bianca, Hugh, and N are some of the worst characters in the entire franchise and and the story (for BW) as a whole is massively overrated for being so "deep, complex, different" etc. when it's literally just as one note as any other generation, maybe even moreso simply because of the climax of the games.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:23 AM, Landmaster said:

Gen IV is easily my favorite~

Gen II (and HGSS) is an abomination. Story is worthless, level scaling is atrocious, and Pokemon that were literally introduced in this game are held off until the post-game in an entirely separate region that didn't even need to be in the game in the first place. 

Gen V is a close second, in large part due to the characters: Bianca, Hugh, and N are some of the worst characters in the entire franchise and and the story (for BW) as a whole is massively overrated for being so "deep, complex, different" etc. when it's literally just as one note as any other generation, maybe even moreso simply because of the climax of the games.

It seems our Pokemon opinions could't be more different😀. Gen 4 is just all a big blur to me with me not finding any of the places, teams or the rival very memorable. The battle with Cynthia is the only real standout moment that still comes to mind.

Meanwhile I can see gen 2 (and HGSS) flaws and it has a lot of them. On the other hand I think the Johto region has a lot of charm. The old Japanese style gives the region a unique vibe and it has a lot of memorable inclusions such as Kanto and things like the bug hunting contest. Nostalgia probably plays a big part, but Johto is one of the only regions where I can name every location and still remember how they look like. The selection of pokemon now is really solid now too. Its flawed, but I can easily look the other way when playing heartgold.

Meanwhile BW2 is my favourite game in the series with Hugh and Bianca being pretty high on my list of favourite characters.

I don't remember much about gen 4, but I think gen 6 is my least favourite. It had a lot of quality of live improvement which I liked and the selection of pokemon was great too. The game itself was way too easy though and I did't like any of the trainers at all. Gym leaders where back to being statue's in their gyms and their teams had never been less interesting.
team flare is the worst enemy team by far, the rivals where pathetic and Lysandre's deal is undermined by Kalos essentially being one big utopia.