Is Fates skinship removal that big of thing?

Naziro

And no, I wont stop complaining. I have freedom of speech do I not? I am offended by the fact Nintendo has basically removed my right to the full product as consumer when Japan and I am sure Korea have/will get the full game without any feature removals while us in the west get a half assed version. Censorship is welcome in some places, but when a feature that has very little mature material is removed for little to no reason it's just plain idiotic.

Why, I ask, do you assume Korea is getting the full game without any feature removals?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's less the skinship and more the stupid over the top drama over it

I swear it's just been one thing after another with Fates. If all Fire Emblem is gonna do from now on is get people's panties in a twist then I don't think I want any part of it.

Why, I ask, do you assume Korea is getting the full game without any feature removals?

Maybe it is just me stereotyping or being a bit of a bigot, based on South Korea's and Japan's similar pop (Not sure if this is the proper term to use in this context) culture, I just assumed they would not have skinship cut. Also from what I know (Albeit very little), skinship is somewhat practiced in Korea and is not looked down upon or seen as odd when done in public.

I'm sorry but that kind of logic is extremely flawed.

'Just use your Japanese versions'. If I am going to get a game, I want to pay the price that is going to extremely high with the fact there is 3 games to get in order to experience it all for the full game. Not a game that was butchered because a company thinks I can't handle lewd lines. I may have a Japanese copy, but I am buying the localized version for a reason, I wish to support Nintendo.

And no, I wont stop complaining. I have freedom of speech do I not? I am offended by the fact Nintendo has basically removed my right to the full product as consumer when Japan and I am sure Korea have/will get the full game without any feature removals while us in the west get a half assed version. Censorship is welcome in some places, but when a feature that has very little mature material is removed for little to no reason it's just plain idiotic.

This is why I'm buying it as well as I wouldn't hold the other translation over water. Plus...not like I hardly ever use this feature anyway.

This is why I'm buying it as well as I wouldn't hold the other translation over water. Plus...not like I hardly ever use this feature anyway.

While that may be the case, others will, others do use the feature.

And ultimately, this will lead to lower sales and people will get pissed off (Such as myself). Despite what people may say on how this is only minor, us humans are an extremely stupid race when it comes to not getting what we want and we overreact and think the first thing, 'Fuck this shit, imma not buy it.'

Maybe it is just me stereotyping or being a bit of a bigot, based on South Korea's and Japan's similar pop (Not sure if this is the proper term to use in this context) culture, I just assumed they would not have skinship cut. Also from what I know (Albeit very little), skinship is somewhat practiced in Korea and is not looked down upon or seen as odd when done in public.

Maybe Korea practices skinship or not, I can't say I know anything about modern Korean culture to make that call. However, do NOT make any assumptions about Korea and Japan just because they have "similar pop" because it's a surefire way to make most Koreans angry -- even someone like me who's only Korean by parentage. For one, cousin marriage is illegal in Korea up to your fourth cousin, so already I'm question of how they are going to deal with certain cousin marriages that are possible in Fates.

Besides, skinship isn't the only feature of the game. How do you know that there won't be other things that Korea may cut? If you said that you made this assumption because other Japanese games released in Korea were uncut (I don't know whether this is the case or not), I wouldn't have an issue. But if you don't actually know anything about Korean culture and how it's different from Japanese culture, could you not.

I don't care for most of the feature but I understand why some people are upset and they do have a right to be upset, if it's true.

I do think some people make a bigger deal than it needs to be though--the ones cancelling SE over it, that is. I get the upset. That's fine. But is it really worth that much of a reaction over? I mean it's your money your life I don't have a say in it, just puzzling, is all.

Pop culture doesn't mean much. It's the most surface-level shit possible. Sure, there's some cultural exchange due to geographical proximity but I assure you shit that flies in Japan does not necessarily fly in Korea or China or any of the East-Asia-sphere countries and vice versa. Don't make such hasty assumptions. Different countries have different laws, as well.

Hell, China doesn't even ever get localized nintendo anything, and it's likely because of its very heavy censorship laws making it very difficult to deal with. Chinese FE players end up just either learning Japanese (or English) or wait for a Chinese fanpatch on literally every FE ever. One boat ride away means nothing.

Maybe Korea practices skinship or not, I can't say I know anything about modern Korean culture to make that call. However, do NOT make any assumptions about Korea and Japan just because they have "similar pop" because it's a surefire way to make most Koreans angry -- even someone like me who's only Korean by parentage. For one, cousin marriage is illegal in Korea up to your fourth cousin, so already I'm question of how they are going to deal with certain cousin marriages that are possible in Fates.

Besides, skinship isn't the only feature of the game. How do you know that there won't be other things that Korea may cut? If you said that you made this assumption because other Japanese games released in Korea were uncut (I don't know whether this is the case or not), I wouldn't have an issue. But if you don't actually know anything about Korean culture and how it's different from Japanese culture, could you not.

And apologies. I should not have made assumptions and I am sorry.

Know what, I am just gonna leave the topic before I offend someone else. Again though I apologies.

The removal of skinship on its own isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that it is the removal of an option that allows me to further interact with my characters. I THRIVE on character interaction in Fire Emblem and RPGs in general. The characters make these games worthwhile for me. Taking away something that would allow me to learn more about these characters is infuriating.

Awakening had the Scramble maps that allowed characters with no support amongst each other to chat amongst each other, and even provided special conversations for the avatar and specific characters. If you married those characters, you'd get more intimate dialogue, which was nice but not exactly fair for everyone. It had the Future-Past maps that provided UNIQUE conversations among the children and their many potential parents.

Maybe we'll get more cool stuff like this as DLC again, but right now, this looks like one feature I will never have the pleasure of experiencing. It looked like a funny feature that would be good for laughs. It's a damn shame if it's gone. I want it to stay, but if it doesn't stay, I want it to be replaced with something equally meaningful. If it's gone and not replaced, I will be very VERY disappointed.

Skinship is pretty stupid, but I don't think it was necessary to cut it. I'm not that broken up about it though since we've had bigger, more important things cut in prior releases and it's not uncommon for some localizers to simply not bother localizing certain optional content. I'm pretty sure that this was done for financial reasons though, given how cheap the localization is; I don't think morality has anything to do with it, especially when there's much creepier shit in the game.

This is assuming that skinship has indeed been cut though, which I have my doubts.

My friend googled skinship in lieu of the news and all she got were Korean results. They're still up if you check google images, MOST of the results are all from Korean reality shows and whatnot. So whoever said that it won't be removed in Korea is probably right.

I'm not opposed to it but it's not my cup of tea.

I mostly feel bad for the people who were looking forward to it. Feeling disappointed freaking sucks.

^This. I think I would feel uncomfortable using that feature, especially if my parents were around. But some people will miss it, and that is not great.

I was definitely not looking forward to this feature, so I am personally glad it won't be a thing. I mean, Fire Emblem was never meant to be some sort of waifu simulator game. I never want it to go that route...

But it does suck for the people that did want it. Though I do not believe it's anything for them to truly fret over.

From what I've seen, I think it's just the prospect of censorship that gets people up in arms because it's almost as if they're being babied if that makes sense? I've seen a lot of people say how they feel like Nintendo is doing this because they think their target audience wouldn't be mature enough to handle content like this. In many ways, I agree because missing out on things purely from a cultural stand point or what have you can be extremely disappointing but at the same time, sometimes the situation is not just about us and that there are so many things happening behind the scenes that influenced this decision that we just don't know about.

Edited by carefreejules

Like many here, I probably wouldn't use it much/at all, but I am disappointed that the game has been reduced (if it actually was removed).

A question for those who played the Japanese version: Was there anything really that bad in the dialogue?

Not really bad moreso really suggestive.

Here's an example via a gif set.

Ah. I can understand why Nintendo might be wary of having that stuff in America (where many would freak out about it). I still think that if they feel changes needed to be made, they should either have it as a feature you can disable or simply scale it down some.

I couldn't give a damn if the feature is removed specifically since it seems strange in a Fire Emblem game of all places, though I don't approve of censorship either at the same time.

Edited by DragonLord

Honestly, if they remove any content then they are not going to do it for no reason. If skinship is removed then it was removed because Nintendo probably had data showing that something like skinship would not go over well in the US and would result in loss of sales. I mean, they have acess to a lot of demographic data, there is no chance the choice was made without consulting it. So if taking out skinship means the game sells better over here and we keep getting fire emblem games released in the US, I am totally for it. Losing a feature is a lot better than losing future games.

The IGN podcast confirmed you can still invite people to your room to get supports and other benefits, so nothing's changed in terms of the core gameplay.

Even in the worst-case scenario, the assets will still be around and the minigame will be untouched in the Japanese version.