Is Fates skinship removal that big of thing?

Naziro

If they still talk to you as if you've already touched them, but skip the mini-game entirely, that'd be wonderful. I'll accept that with open arms. I don't want just a message to pop up saying, "You and X had a great conversation!" "BONUS BONUS BONUS!" It's the bonding aspect that matters to me the most, not the implications of it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly it's so incredibly unimportant that i'm more upset that people make such a big deal out of it. i mean i kind of really hate the fact that it was in the game in the first place but in the end it doesn't matter. it doesn't matter at all. it's optional, it adds nothing to the game but some cheap wish-fulfillment to the people who want it, and it takes nothing from the people who don't want it. it doesn't matter at all. i wouldn't care less if it was left in or removed, because i would have just ignored it

what really gets to me about this is people who say they wouldn't have used it but are still upset that they're getting "less" than the japanese version because it's just so inconsequential, it just. it just doesn't matter. at all. it adds nothing, it takes nothing. it doesn't matter.

it. doesn't. matter.

and i'm sick of people complaining about "censorship" too. i swear everyone on the internet acts like the colloquial use of the word "censorship" - voluntarily making something deemed inappropriate less inappropriate - is the same as/just as bad as the legal use of the word - the government telling you what you can and can't say. no one's infringing on your rights by not letting you pet your anime characters. this was just a business decision probably made to broaden appeal to people who think that stuff's gross. if you want it so bad go play senran kagura or something, those games have that, right? fire emblem doesn't need it.

i could go on about what localization means and why complaining about most changes is idiotic but that'd be getting off topic

(and i suppose it's worth saying i do understand why people who were looking forward to it are upset but as someone who wasn't i just couldn't care less)

tl;dr the removal of the feature itself doesn't bother me but peoples' reactions to it sure do

honestly it's so incredibly unimportant that i'm more upset that people make such a big deal out of it. i mean i kind of really hate the fact that it was in the game in the first place but in the end it doesn't matter. it doesn't matter at all. it's optional, it adds nothing to the game but some cheap wish-fulfillment to the people who want it, and it takes nothing from the people who don't want it. it doesn't matter at all. i wouldn't care less if it was left in or removed, because i would have just ignored it

what really gets to me about this is people who say they wouldn't have used it but are still upset that they're getting "less" than the japanese version because it's just so inconsequential, it just. it just doesn't matter. at all. it adds nothing, it takes nothing. it doesn't matter.

it. doesn't. matter.

and i'm sick of people complaining about "censorship" too. i swear everyone on the internet acts like the colloquial use of the word "censorship" - voluntarily making something deemed inappropriate less inappropriate - is the same as/just as bad as the legal use of the word - the government telling you what you can and can't say. no one's infringing on your rights by not letting you pet your anime characters. this was just a business decision probably made to broaden appeal to people who think that stuff's gross. if you want it so bad go play senran kagura or something, those games have that, right? fire emblem doesn't need it.

i could go on about what localization means and why complaining about most changes is idiotic but that'd be getting off topic

(and i suppose it's worth saying i do understand why people who were looking forward to it are upset but as someone who wasn't i just couldn't care less)

tl;dr the removal of the feature itself doesn't bother me but peoples' reactions to it sure do

The fact that it doesn't matter doesn't mean that having the option isn't nice. Having options is always better to me than not having options, especially when others have it. And that's the reason it bugs me. Not getting an option other people get really irks me, because I am paying the same for less content. I don't care if it adds nothing, or if I don't use it. I care that I MIGHT have used, and if it's gone, I've lost that option.

Have we even gotten any information yet besides Kotaku said so? -_-

Seriously have we even gotten any actual information besides this? Because until nintendo says something I'm treating this like a hoax though honestly I don't give a damn if we keep the feature or not but I would really like it if we actually know something and are not just parroting the same thing.

Seriously have we even gotten any actual information besides this? Because until nintendo says something I'm treating this like a hoax though honestly I don't give a damn if we keep the feature or not but I would really like it if we actually know something and are not just parroting the same thing.

IGN has a podcast that discussed it being removed, and Nintendo has made the entire direct including the My Castle stuff all private.

I think thats pretty damning.

Edited by Jedi

whatever I don't really care either way though I am sick of it being the only thing anyone wants to talk about it -_- getting the game next month I'll find out then. Guess I'll just stay off the site until then because this constant insanity is like listening to screaming children bickering over who started it.

whatever I don't really care either way though I am sick of it being the only thing anyone wants to talk about it -_- getting the game next month I'll find out then. Guess I'll just stay off the site until then because this constant insanity is like listening to screaming children bickering over who started it.

And we're apparently one of the most level headed sites on the subject.

IGN has a podcast that discussed it being removed, and Nintendo has made the entire direct including the My Castle stuff all private.

I think thats pretty damning.

Wait, what Direct?

that is terrifying XD

You should see the Conquest GFaQ board, it is insane over there. /r/FireEmblem isn't doing very well with it either since KiA has gotten pretty involved with the whole thing. The whole thing is being confined to a Mega-Thread for the time being so there is that.

The GameFAQ's drinking game:

-Take a shot every time someone says they're cancelling their pre-order

-Take a shot every time they say they won't be getting the game because Skinship is out

-Take a sip every time you see the word 'censorship', 'weeaboo' (including variants like weeb), 'otaku', 'waifu', 'husbando' and 'pandering'

Edited by Phillius

Wait, what Direct?

I'm assuming it's a Japanese Direct from a long time ago before the game came out that featured Fates in great detail. Regardless, the original version of this is gone as well.

Also, for reference, this is the IGN podcast: https://youtu.be/7jkVQGJ8Zms?t=3176

Skip to 52:56 if the link doesn't take you there.

-Take a shot every time they say they won't be getting the game because Skinship is out

-Take a sip every time you see the word 'censorship', 'weeaboo' (including variants like weeb), 'otaku', 'waifu', 'husbando' and 'pandering'

Die from liver disease before the game comes out XD

Honestly, if they remove any content then they are not going to do it for no reason. If skinship is removed then it was removed because Nintendo probably had data showing that something like skinship would not go over well in the US and would result in loss of sales. I mean, they have acess to a lot of demographic data, there is no chance the choice was made without consulting it. So if taking out skinship means the game sells better over here and we keep getting fire emblem games released in the US, I am totally for it. Losing a feature is a lot better than losing future games.

I'm sure the sales won't end up going bad for such a niche feature being removed that has absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever.

The removal of that thing should've been a minuscule concern at best and that stupid kotaku thread about it should've stopped growing a long time ago. It's currently just people wasting their time bickering over something they have no control over and should just wait for bloody confirmation. It is pitiful to see how big that thread has gotten.

Those who say they refuse to buy the game because of skinship removed strike me as foolish, were you looking to buy the newest Fire Emblem or "Kawaii desu ne: rub me" the game?

Edited by Sirius

The removal of that thing should've been a minuscule concern at best and that stupid kotaku thread about it should've stopped growing a long time ago it's currently just people wasting their time bickering over something they have no control over and should just wait for bloody confirmation. It is pitiful to see how big that thread has gotten.

Those who say they refuse to buy the game because of skinship removed strike me as foolish, were you looking to buy the newest Fire Emblem or "Kawaii desu ne: rub me" the game?

As far as I understand it, most people are upset more about an entire feature being from the game and censorship than they are about missing the feature itself. I personally am happy to see the rubbing aspect gone, but I can understand why people would be upset even if I don't necessarily agree with their opinion.

Edited by Phillius

As far as I understand it, most people are upset more about an entire feature being from the game and censorship than they are about missing the feature itself. I personally am happy to see the rubbing aspect gone, but I can understand why people would be upset even if I don't necessarily agree with their opinion.

I'm aware. It's the stance I would've taken if not for the fact that the feature in question is one of the most stupidest fucking thing ever conceived in the series. It's not a core mechanic or interesting item, character, etc being removed, it's just a stupid mini-game. Are we humans so sad that some of us are actually so adamant about not being able to rub a set of pixels? Cut content through localization happens all the damn time, it's just really fucking sad how much attention such a thing is getting.

As for the comments regarding the wasted models: c'est la vie. In anything that involves creativity, there will be effort that will essentially have gone to waste or not used in the final product. It happens and it's just something the people involved have to accept and move on.

Edited by Sirius

You should see the Conquest GFaQ board, it is insane over there. /r/FireEmblem isn't doing very well with it either since KiA has gotten pretty involved with the whole thing. The whole thing is being confined to a Mega-Thread for the time being so there is that.

Really? I got a headache from the youtube comments about the latest FE commercial which is almost 80% about skinship and getting emails from nintendo confirming its removal. Now one person is claiming they even took out support convos with younger characters. These people probally would have reacted the same way if they took out the scene where you run into Camilla's breasts. Although I half expected Serenes Forest to be most vocal over Skinship. Now I wonder what in the world I was thinking. I need some air..........

........Make that a trip to the hospital. :p

I'm aware. It's the stance I would've taken if not for the fact that the feature in question is one of the most stupidest fucking thing ever conceived in the series. It's not a core mechanic or interesting item, character, etc being removed, it's just a stupid mini-game. Are we humans so sad that some of us are actually so adamant about not being able to rub a set of pixels? Cut content through localization happens all the damn time, it's just really fucking sad how much attention such a thing is getting.

As for the comments regarding the wasted models: c'est la vie. In anything that involves creativity, there will be effort that will essentially have gone to waste or not used in the final product. It happens and it's just something the people involved have to accept and move on.

By the sounds of it, it appears the models aren't going to waste. The IGN podcast made it seem like only the touching aspect is gone of the MyRoom minigame. With this in mind, doesn't the controversy seem all the more needless? You're still getting the assets, the conversations - everything people were worried about being taken out. Only the skinship, which was prior to release almost universally panned, is being removed.

I'm aware. It's the stance I would've taken if not for the fact that the feature in question is one of the most stupidest fucking thing ever conceived in the series. It's not a core mechanic or interesting item, character, etc being removed, it's just a stupid mini-game. Are we humans so sad that some of us are actually so adamant not being able to rub a set of pixels? Cut content through localization happens all the damn time, it's just really fucking sad how much attention such a thing is getting.

It's the tension more than anything I reckon. If Nintendo had just come out and said that they were taking it out, people would've gotten all the anger out of their systems early and moved on. But the fact that they only confirmed it to Kotaku (with every other site reporting it using Kotaku as the only source) and no other information released aside from some edited images of emails, an IGN mod saying so (IGN also not having the best reputation) and Nintendo refusing to clear the air kept people wondering if it was true, a lie or simple misinterpretation kept people anxious and prolonged the debacle to the point where people would've gone nuclear no matter what the truth was.

Edited by Phillius

we'd all die of alcohol poisoning then

By the sounds of it, it appears the models aren't going to waste. The IGN podcast made it seem like only the touching aspect is gone of the MyRoom minigame. With this in mind, doesn't the controversy seem all the more needless? You're still getting the assets, the conversations - everything people were worried about being taken out. Only the skinship, which was prior to release almost universally panned, is being removed.

All we really know is something that serves the same support function is still there. We don't really have confirmation that either the conversation, nor the live2d models will still be there.

EDIT: Owing to the fact that it's finally been confirmed that skinship isn't there, I'm taking a negative stance on everything around it, so I can be pleasantly surprised, or just have it meet my expectations.

Edited by AsherCrane

Let's see what has been removed here:

-A gameplay mechanic that allows the player to interact with characters.

-Very well done art assets which might not be used elsewhere

-A siginficant amount of voiced dialogue

-Characterization and minor story bits (some of the lines tell you information about the characters you can't get anywhere else, others are very touching and really reflect the character well - Nyx's is a really good example of it showing off her actual character development.)

Yes, there are some lew lines. If that makes someone uncomfortable, they could simply not use the feature and leave it for those who would enjoy it. But that would be too easy, too sensible, no, it must be removed for everyone.

In the end, we pay the same amount for an inferior product with a significant amount of content removed. I am not okay with this.

The above is assuming there is no replacement feature that utilizes the models, involves voice acting, and preserves at least some of the dialogue and development. At the moment, we do not know what there is in its place.

Depending on what they have replaced it with, it may be more or less egregious of a change. If they kept it as is but only removed the touching part and had it be only a conversation with the animated models, that would be acceptable, but anything more removed and it's cutting content, plain and simple. Cutting content that does not improve the game; it makes the game less enjoyable for those who wanted to make use of it and is neutral for those who didn't as those people could have simply ignored the feature and been no worse off.

Edited by XaosLogos

It shouldn't have been, IMO. It sounds like more of a flavor feature, with its support bonus being somewhat trivial. While I would've wanted to test the effectiveness of it for myself (while muting my game out of shame), it's not the end of the world.

Now, if they removed half the weapons instead. . .