Any characters you initially disliked, but grew to like over time?

Kaze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These opinions will change when I get the game, but...

• Azura/Aqua. At first I thought she'd be another Lucina, but she ended up being this graceful and thoughtful person in her supports.
  • Felicia. I really couldn't stand her at first, but some of her supports really made me chuckle, so in the end, I think she is alright.
  • ELISE. I initally really disliked her for being this obvious ass imouto fanservice (she is), but some of the things she says are very touching and smart. Plus she is probably one of the few characters whose love for Kamui I can deal with. It's common to idolize your older brother/sister.
  • Zero/Niles. Well, I never thought I'd like him after I heard he was a sadist, but his funny moments really get me; plus, like many Nohrians, he has that tiny hint of backstory that makes him more interesting. I only wish he did not mix his sexual perversions with his extremely sadistic ones.
  • Eponine. I'm not ever sure how she grew on me, because when I read her supports I thought they were stupid. But... look, I have never, ever been a fujoshi like Nina, but I am a fujoshi, and the flak she gets from others I understand, the flak she gets from the game I understand. Plus there is the fact that she is a female characters who does talk about her sexuality and what arouses her (very rare in Japanese media), and those are welcome for me, always, because girls are not perfect, pure flowers.
  • Pieri/Peri. I did not think good things about her until lolol backstory lolol. Plus it is sad how, even if she says she is happy and that it brings her joy, when she kills people she cries, it's almost evident she is lying to herself, or how

she sees her mother's killer in every servant or every enemy in her way, it's as if she is joyful because she is always avenging her mother.

It's like she is stuck in costant torment, it's depressing and I can't help but feel bad for her whole life. She is an eerie character. ALTHOUGH THEY COULD HAVE AVOIDED THAT DUMB HAIR COLOR.

• Asama. Cute asshole.

Whoa! Why didn't anyone like Niles? I'm genuinely curious; he always seemed alright to me.

For me it was his lack of an explanation for his sadism and also, I was not very fond of his design at first.

However, it did grow on me, and while his back story is never fully delved into, it was explained well enough for me to appreciate it.It also helped he was the gay (Technically bi) marryable option.

Just about everybody in Hoshido tbh. I mean, i never really disliked them to begin with, but i just didnt really feel too much about them. But now, everyone except maybe Asama, from the Land of the Rising Hinoka is pretty cool. I think once the game drops and i play that route, ill like them even more. The ones that stand out as growing on me the most are:
Oboro

Nishiki (especially him after the videos)

Sakura

Takumi

Kazahana

Shara/Rhajat

Camilla moreso than anyone.

I don't find her yandereness towards Corrin that off putting. I mean, Corrin blatantly chose another family over her on Birthright, and judging by her other supports, she's certainly a doting type. Corrin's just her main source of affection.

Her English voice being good only helps matters.

I found Niles weird when he was revealed, but now he's great. I was worried when he tortured people to join the army, but then he showed his wonderful side. I really enjoy his flirtatiousness.

Otherwise, I guess Takumi or Peri? I liked them from the start, but now I really like them.

At first, I was really, really not into Charlotte, who seemed to be nothing but a plain psycho... But she turned out to be way nicer and moving than I could possibly have guessed. (Her support with Xander... Greatness.)

Also, I don't know if it fits the topic, but I like Not!Owain more than Owain and Not!Inigo more than Inigo. Their characters are way better than they were back in FE13.

Well... not a lot, actually.

Oboro. I was sure I was gonna hate her cause her bio instantly made me think of the return of Cordelia, and now she's my favorite character.

Charlotte. Both her design and how she was stated to be a goldigger made me think she was gonna be benched, but her supports made me warm up to her.

At first, I was really, really not into Charlotte, who seemed to be nothing but a plain psycho... But she turned out to be way nicer and moving than I could possibly have guessed. (Her support with Xander... Greatness.)

Also, I don't know if it fits the topic, but I like Not!Owain more than Owain and Not!Inigo more than Inigo. Their characters are way better than they were back in FE13.

Well, as I said my reasoning for liking Odin more than I thought is because he's better than Owain was in Awakening despite them being the same character. I'm chalking it up to the fact that the Awakening trio matured over time.

Charlotte. I disliked her when I first saw her design and character description. I thought she was going to be a bad character. But ever since I read her support with Xander, I started to like her and she became one of my favs once I had read most of her supports.

Reading the replies of this topic, this makes me wonder how Charlotte would do on English polls for favorite character?

Hard to say. I guess the only way we'd find out is if Nintendo of America does a poll like they did for Awakening.

Pre-release, I was worried Oboro would be a squeaky voiced Takumi love-fanatic (seriously, terrible choice of voice clips on the Japanese website) but I was pleasantly surprised to find out her interest in Takumi isn't brought up very often and she actually has a more well rounded personality. 10/10 would waifu again.

I didn't like Hinoka's design at first and found her to be bland and forgettable but it slowly grew on me.I also like the strong older sister type, so it's a shame she doesn't get more attention in the story.

Probably Camilla, as weird as it sounds. I hated (and still do) her design and Kamuicentrism that all but destroyed her supports and any semblance of a unique personality, but I still find myself being really drawn to her as a character and these days I could probably give an essay's worth of analysis for her and why I love her. (And no, I haven't married nor would I ever marry her. I prefer the siblings to be siblings.)

Saizo too. I thought he was boring and a generic red-knight archetype, and even preferred Kaze probably because I'm a Nohr-whore but, well, take a look at my display picture. There's plenty more crappy sketches of him on my computer too.

I have quite a few:

Kaze- At the time I really didn't think to highly of him, but ever since I played my lunatic run in awakening he actually sparks some of those memories back up. That, and I was ecstatic to find that Conquest gives you at least 1 ninja (Other than Laslow). So much so I swapped pairing my avatar up with Niles to him.

Charlotte- While at first it did unearth some bad memories from me, as a looked closer at her character I realized she was more badass than I thought. She is easily the strongest female unit by STR in the game, and I really like her motives and backstory.

Arthur- He is perfect. His English VA is perfect, his design is perfect, his child is perfect. If Odin wasn't in the game then he would defiantly take his spot.

Benny- ...I don't know. When he was first revealed he reminded me a lot of Chespin from pokemon and his evolution line. Knight is already one of my favorite classes, I adore the general class, and Benny soon enough became my favorite FE fates character.

Characters that went the other way:

Hinoka- I was cool with her in the first trailer of fates, I thought she was just going to be your regular Sky Knight...and then I find out she is royalty...and after that I proceeded to hate her. I don't think it is necessary for her to be a princess, heck I think she is a worse character just because she is royalty. Then again, that's only me

Kagero- Nothing too big, but the fact that in 2 plots she acts as a damsel in distress made me dislike a little bit. Funny thing is, out of the 3 ninjas the game gives you, Kagerou is the glass cannon and is the 2nd fastest, this shouldn't be a problem for her.

Charlotte because when I first looked her up, I thought of her as being a blatant gold digger. It wasn't until I looked into her more when I saw that she wouldn't necessarily marry only for the money, and that she cares about her parents a lot for taking care of her even while poor (most likely the biggest reason that she wants to marry somebody wealthy since she gives money to her parents) when I like her more.

Eponine? I don't really like her, but my opinion of her has improved a lot since the game's release. I thought all of her supports were about BxB, but her supports with Zero, Kanna, Velour and Matoi were actually cool. I find her annoying most of the time though.

Edited by Matt-hue

The only characters I disliked as they were revealed were Orochi, Nyx, Charlotte and, to a certain extent, Kagerou.

After playing the game a milion times:

- Orochi and Kagerou are two of my favourite female characters

- I'm neutral towards Nyx

- I still really don't like Charlotte because I, personally, can't see the character development in her supports people keep talking about

Leo and Azura.

I didn't particularly care about Azura and everyone everywhere kept saying she had zero personality and stuff, but now she's really grown on me and I like her lots!

As for Leo, I thought he was just this super clever, annoying character, so I really disliked him initially. Now he's my favorite character along with Takumi.

Oboro at first. After finding out she had feelings for Takumi, I thought they would pull a Sumia and, more or less, revolve her character around that. Surprisingly, they handled her quite well and I dual ship her with Takumi and Hinata. Her Japanese voice and appearance had a sort of dissonance between them but, over time, I grew to like them very much.

Arthur, I was skeptical about. His design threw me off but, then I looked at him for a really long time and fell in love with him and his superhero chin. Again, I thought they would make him revolve around his unlucky, justice-seeker gimmick but I was pleasantly surprised that he turned out to be more astute than he appeared--particularly in his support with Zero. y u no let me S-rank them, IS? y Zero gotta be Kamuisexual?

I didn't like Felicia at first but her support with Zero changed that tune real quick. I didn't much like Saizou but his man cleavage, ninja mask and missing eye made me prefer him over Suzukaze.

I'm shocked that so many people disliked Zero at first. How could one scoff at the sight of eyepatch DIO-sama? What is wrong with you people?

I didn't exactly join the hate train but I was very wary of Takumi. From all that was revealed about him we knew Takumi would be a tsundere and the aggressive tsundere character is a very tricky one to get right. Its very easy to fall in the trap of making such a character eternally hostile and a jerk with little justification 90% of the time. The train of thought is that we should forgive them for that because they are vulnerable and potentially devoted when you get to know them better which is not something I'm willing to do. Severa would be a good example of this and Samurai warriors' Mitsunari as well.

Takumi has a justification in his attitude towards Corrin because he has a 50% chance to be right in his distrust but the typical tsundere doesn't pick on just one character, he's a jerk to everyone equally so that's what I thought Takumi would be.

But unless the dub decides to pull a Severa and make him more aggressive that does not seem to be the case. Takumi is certainly stand offish and a bit hostile to some but he turns nice pretty quickly, has plenty of good supports and a lot of chances to show his nice side. I think I warmed up enough to Takumi that I think a comparison between him and Leo is no longer the incredible one sided affair in Leo's favor. People seem to agree because the position of best male character is often given to either of those two.

When I first saw Nohr's awakening trio I immediately hated them. I considered them cynical pandering which took away three spots from Nohr characters and thus gave its roster a handicaps compared to Hoshido. It turned out they actually have a valid excuse and a chance for some good character development. On the other hand Hoshido's Awakening trio do not have such an excuse so they now get the same scorn I showed to their Norhian counterparts.

Let's see, I disliked Leo because I initially thought he was an asshole. He seemed to be a prick, but that was just me playing the game without plenty of Japanese knowledge. Once I read more about his character and used him in my main team in conquest, including PVP because this boy is amazing in terms of stats, I realized he was a good character all around. He's a lot nicer than he seems, and he seems to be rather composed and cool about things, I'd even say he's my fates man crush.