Potential confirmation of no dual-audio

jabberish

Ah that makes more sense. I never really though about voice actors receiving extra pay when their work is used in more continents. I just thought they received a set amount for lending their voice to the game.

For VAs it's one thing, but there was a big deal over Renka (Azura's singing voice) having her debut single be the game's theme song. Due to the fact that the English version has the song dubbed over that doesn't count as needing to do licensing fees, which is something seen often with certain games. For example, the first Project X Zone had to omit the song "Rocks" from its international version due to it being done by Jam Project, who has some pretty legendary anime song writers like Hironobu Kageyama (the guy who did the DBZ theme songs). Another was Yakuza 5 where a boss fight in it had a completely different theme song compared to the Japanese version due to it again being done by a musical artist. Better to just find away around it to keep royalties down.

Edited by Aiddon

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the VAs that are refusing, but rather the agencies they are working for.

Voice acting in Japan is a pretty big deal, and the agencies can be very possesive of their work.

Actually, when it comes to licensing, japanese companies are rather controlling of their rights.

Have you ever noticed how many anime in the west sometimes have a different opening or it's just the instrumental version?

This all because of licensing issues.

Hmm i see.

Looking back on it, from the moment we were told that VALSHE was going to voice someone in this game and that Hitori Omou was going to be Renka's debut single, we should have realized that we would most likely not have dual audio.

Licensing issues, my friends. We've got one singers debut single in the game (Renkah), and another doing voice work (VALSHE).

Keep any NOA hate spiels to yourselves, for the moment.

I am simply commenting on Nintendo's decision. I am rather indifferent toward NoA. It's bit sad that you are implying this as "hate spiels."

Whether they can't or won't, it is a fact that they made decision from including dual audio to no dual audio. Also, it is true that some will be disappointed since they expect have a dual audio just like Awakening. If Awakening did not have a dual audio, people wouldn't be too disappointed because they would not expect dual audio.

The only real problem I have with the voice actors I've heard is that Elise's voice from Corrin's smash trailer sounds really bratty. But Elise's voice from the actual Fates trailer doesn't.

On the other hand, I do just tend to like the Japanese voices, so I'm somewhat disappointed. Owing to the fact that they'd have to add dual audio, I'm not terribly suprised.

I am simply commenting on Nintendo's decision. I am rather indifferent toward NoA. It's bit sad that you are implying this as "hate spiels."

Whether they can't or won't, it is a fact that they made decision from including dual audio to no dual audio. Also, it is true that some will be disappointed since they expect have a dual audio just like Awakening. If Awakening did not have a dual audio, people wouldn't be too disappointed because they would not expect dual audio.

That bit was specifically intended towards BruceLee.

Really, I'm just personally a bit tired of seeing the same complaints about the localization and making the same arguments over and over; sorry if I offended you.

I wouldn't call that a hate spiel. I was just expressing my disappointment, and i didn't really understand the whole license thing so i wasn't sure whether Nintendo had any say on the matter or not.

It seems to me like you don't care about there being no dual audio but don't want anyone else complaining about it either.

Lack of dual audio = licensing problems with some of the Japanese VAs' agencies? Got it. That's a very reasonable reason for why dual audio wouldn't be in this game. NoA doesn't hate your guts and want to ruin your life. The amount of people jumping to conclusions and overreacting in this thread is astounding.

I'm glad dual audio is gone just because of a bad experience. People using Xenoblade's inferior Japanese voices and then people whining when the godly Xenoblade X dub didn't let them go to Japanese. People are utterly spoiled by dual audio, so it's nice to see Nintendo not cater to those crowds. Import if you feel that strongly.

The Persona Q and Ace Attorney undubs are still up and about so I don't imagine it will be a problem to do an undub. I mean if Atlus (basically Sega) and Capcom haven't taken those down why not try with Fates?

lol how petty can you get to undub Ace Attorney which has almost no voicework

I would usually never use the term weeaboo but here it seems appropriate

Edited by Ms. Andrews

I wouldn't call that a hate spiel. I was just expressing my disappointment, and i didn't really understand the whole license thing so i wasn't sure whether Nintendo had any say on the matter or not.

It seems to me like you don't care about there being no dual audio but don't want anyone else complaining about it either.

I second this.

Also, I get that the problem lies within licensing. But what's the problem of people being disappointed with the game not having dual audio? It's true that some complain about every little thing but not everyone's like that. Besides, in this case, the info came out not even a month before release. And there's nothing wrong with liking japanese dub over english dub, it's a matter of preference (I always prefer to play the game with the original voices). So calling people a 'weeb' because of this is not very nice.

I'm glad dual audio is gone just because of a bad experience. People using Xenoblade's inferior Japanese voices and then people whining when the godly Xenoblade X dub didn't let them go to Japanese. People are utterly spoiled by dual audio, so it's nice to see Nintendo not cater to those crowds. Import if you feel that strongly.

man all I got out of this was "people didnt like something i did so they shouldnt have that anymore"

like really dude?

I second this.

Also, I get that the problem lies within licensing. But what's the problem of people being disappointed with the game not having dual audio? It's true that some complain about every little thing but not everyone's like that. Besides, in this case, the info came out not even a month before release. And there's nothing wrong with liking japanese dub over english dub, it's a matter of preference (I always prefer to play the game with the original voices). So calling people a 'weeb' because of this is not very nice.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference. The problem is that some people are blaming NoA (If I had a penny for every 'fuck NOA' or 'boycott NOA' post I've seen on other forums...) for the lack of Dual Audio even though the decision was not theirs to make and the only alternative would've been to not localise the game at all

Edited by Phillius

I second this.

Pretty much what Phillius said.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your guy's preference; I'm just a bit tired of people over-reacting and misblaming NOA for things in the localization that were probably beyond their control.

Now that i understand how this licensing predicament works i realize i should have worded my earlier post better.

Though i am noticing some childish behaviour in this thread. People who don't care for the japanese audio being happy that others don't get it either.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference. The problem is that some people are blaming NoA (If I had a penny for every 'fuck NOA' or 'boycott NOA' post I've seen on other forums...) for the lack of Dual Audio even though the decision was not theirs to make and the only alternative would've been to not localise the game at all

That's not cool either. I can understand getting angry at NOA as a first reaction when you just receive the news (because they don't know the actual reason yet). But yeah, not good to put the blame on them. They should at least inform themselves of what might have happened. What I would tell NOA, though, is that these changes should be shared beforehand and not less than a month before release.

Edited by amaicherii

That's not cool either. I can understand getting angry at NOA as a first reaction when you just receive the news (because they don't know the actual reason yet). But yeah, not good to put the blame on them. They should at least inform themselves of what might have happened. What I would tell NOA, though, is that these changes should be warned beforehand and not less than a month before release.

If NoA wants to inform people of the changes that are going to be made and the reasons why, that's their prerogative. But they're not OBLIGATED to, and I am a bit tired of seeing this general attitude that NoA has to tell the consumers every little detail about what they've changed. We all expected changes. I don't recall people on SF being incredibly outraged because they didn't hear about Awakening's localization changes before they happened. (If that even happened at all, Awakening's release feels so long ago.)

If NoA wants to inform people of the changes that are going to be made and the reasons why, that's their prerogative. But they're not OBLIGATED to, and I am a bit tired of seeing this general attitude that NoA has to tell the consumers every little detail about what they've changed. We all expected changes. I don't recall people on SF being incredibly outraged because they didn't hear about Awakening's localization changes before they happened. (If that even happened at all, Awakening's release feels so long ago.)

That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. But it's a fact that many people complained about not knowing these stuff beforehand. This isn't about who's right or who's wrong. It's about debating.

Also, there are overreactions from both sides. I've seen comments like "f*ck NoA" but I've also seen comments like "you're a f*cking weeb".

That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. But it's a fact that many people complained about not knowing these stuff beforehand. This isn't about who's right or who's wrong. It's about debating.

Also, there are overreactions from both sides. I've seen comments like "f*ck NoA" but I've also seen comments like "you're a f*cking weeb".

While you are right that it is just both of our opinions and neither of us are right, I find it questionable because I'm almost certain that every FE that was localized had cut content in some way, some games with even bigger cuts than what Fates got, and I do not recall seeing this kind of outcry over NoA not informing its consumers over the cuts.

While you are right that it is just both of our opinions and neither of us are right, I find it questionable because I'm almost certain that every FE that was localized had cut content in some way, some games with even bigger cuts than what Fates got, and I do not recall seeing this kind of outcry over NoA not informing its consumers over the cuts.

Radiant Dawn comes to mind. That game got slaughtered in the localisation and I'm pretty sure there wasn't anywhere near as much backlash.

Are we sure it's because of licensing issues, though?

As I've said, Nintendo of America has shown no interest in providing dual audio for the games they localize. It was all NoE and 8-4.

NOA probably won't come right out and say it, possibly because of an NDA, but it's very likely that it was a licensing agreement that prevented dual audio. Hitori Omou was Renka's debut single, so her agency would've been very interested in licensing it and then there's VALSHE and her agencies. Still, even without that, Japan takes VA work much more seriously than the West does, to the point where some contracts forbid the use of their work outside of Japan at all.

Edited by Phillius

This is just a guess but maybe it's because many more people were looking forward to the game (with there being new fans and all). And the fact that the game isn't cheap (and most are probably buying the three paths to enjoy the whole story) might had fueled their outcry.

Radiant Dawn comes to mind. That game got slaughtered in the localisation and I'm pretty sure there wasn't anywhere near as much backlash.

NOA probably won't come right out and say it, possibly because of an NDA, but it's very likely that it was a licensing agreement that prevented dual audio. Hitori Omou was Renka's debut single, so her agency would've been very interested in licensing it and then there's VALSHE and her agencies. Still, even without that, Japan takes VA work much more seriously than the West does, to the point where some contracts forbid the use of their work outside of Japan at all.

Funny you mention Radiant Dawn. .It also had no dual audio.

What else was "slaughtered" in the localization? News to me.

This is just a guess but maybe it's because many more people were looking forward to the game (with there being new fans and all). And the fact that the game isn't cheap (and most are probably buying the three paths to enjoy the whole story) might had fueled their outcry.

I think it's more that the Internet is much more developed nowadays, to the point that even the tiniest minority can make their voice heard, as well as the fact that people were following the Japanese version of this game much more closely.

All these complaints is somewhat good news to me. Seeing two disappointing DS FEs, people did not have a high expectation of the series. Awakening was so great hit that people have all kinds of expectation. In other words, people care more about what they will have instead of silently waiting and not giving much of thought.

I totally agree that Nintendo is not obligated to inform customers about their changes. But they should also expect consequences of not telling. As far as I see omitting dual audio will not be detrimental to the selling, and guys on top probably know that as well. Consumers do want to know what they are getting, and if they are not informed until it is too late, they begin to not trust a company. What I am concerned is that being silence about not-so-helpful information is not always ideal selling strategy.

I still remember how Nintendo's silence about half ass localization of Smash Brothers 4 in Korea caused such a huge ruckus.

lol how petty can you get to undub Ace Attorney which has almost no voicework

I would usually never use the term weeaboo but here it seems appropriate

You're like a textbook definition of "the pot calling the kettle black."

Funny you mention Radiant Dawn. .It also had no dual audio.

What else was "slaughtered" in the localization? News to me.

I think it's more that the Internet is much more developed nowadays, to the point that even the tiniest minority can make their voice heard, as well as the fact that people were following the Japanese version of this game much more closely.

I guess that's true. When people follow the original version closely, they tend to get disappointed when there are too many changes.

I totally agree that Nintendo is not obligated to inform customers about their changes. But they should also expect consequences of not telling. As far as I see omitting dual audio will not be detrimental to the selling, and guys on top probably know that as well. Consumers do want to know what they are getting, and if they are not informed until it is too late, they begin to not trust a company. What I am concerned is that being silence about not-so-helpful information is not always ideal selling strategy.

I still remember how Nintendo's silence about half ass localization of Smash Brothers 4 in Korea caused such a huge ruckus.

True that. Not telling isn't always a good selling strategy.

Btw, I also heard the ruckus of the petting game started with a tumblr post, not sure though. But I think the petting game issue was resolved pretty well, the animated scenes are still there and the relationship is improved too.