Potential confirmation of no dual-audio

jabberish

Licensing is different depending on the country, this is partly why Sonic CD had two entirely different soundtracks, and also why to this day the west hasn't seen a Super Robot Wars game outside of Original Generation.

Its not unheard of for a musician or something to only give the licensing rights to say NoJ.

I always figured that Sonic CD was a similar case to Funimation having Bruce Faulconer rescore Dragonball Z, less to do with rights and more to do with localization.

It just seems odd to limit the odds to the Japanese release. I can't see what they would lose by selling the rights for other versions, and I'd think you'd be able to get a larger paycheck by giving up more, especially if what you're giving up isn't particularly useful to you. I know it happens, but it still strikes me as odd.

Edited by REL

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same situation with Valkyria Chronicles 3. In project X Zone, they couldn't use the opening music for VC3, and had to use an alternate game track "Valkyrian Awakening"... which played later on in the intro cutscene for Kurt and Riela in the original version, which sent mixed messages about the tone of the cutscene in the English version.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Response By Email (02/01/2016 09:14 AM)
Hello,

Thanks for writing. Similarly, thank you for your questions about Fire Emblem Fates. Unfortunately, this title will only be available in English for the US release. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, and appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Gavin Heflin

_
Customer By CSS Web (01/31/2016 04:36 PM)
I have a question about Fire Emblem Fates
I have a friend looking forward to the game, but her English skills are not the best. I live in TN if I pick up a copy for her at a local store will there be an option for Spanish text?
_______
This is the response I got,
well at least we know the text is in English!!!
Edited by Captain Karnage

Where do you contact them? I try to use the "contact us" feature, but it keeps directing me to selection what type of question i'm interested in and none of them apply.

What email do you use?

I wanted to ask about the replacement of skinship….

Where do you contact them? I try to use the "contact us" feature, but it keeps directing me to selection what type of question i'm interested in and none of them apply.

What email do you use?

I wanted to ask about the replacement of skinship….

I went through the series of support topic selections through 3DS Family Systems and then went with "Cannot Place Order" or whatever it was. It's the most basic way you can e-mail them.

Oh, I hadn't done that because it wasn't accurate. I'll try it.

Yeah, for whatever reason most places don't seem to have a general questions email option.

What I've asked; Now we'll see if we get a response.

This question is actually an inquiry about Fire Emblem Fates, but your drop-down menus didn't allow a clear option for that.

Anyways, I've heard about the removal of skinship/petting in Fire Emblem Fates. And actually, I'm kind of okay with that, regarding the petting itself that is.
But what I was actually worried about the most was the art and voice assets. Alongside the petting, the mini game made use of a lot of detailed character models/art (only seen in confessions otherwise, once per game and only for one character) and had a lot of voice acting associated with it.
Although skinship has been removed, has the character art and voice acting been retained, even if used in a new context? What happens in the Private Quarters now instead of the original petting? Are the detailed character models still used here, even if in a new way?
Many people seem anxious to know about this… any information you could provide would ease our nerves and let us at least know.
Edited by astrophys

Oh not at all, don't worry about it :P I just wanted to clarify since things are kind of heated everywhere at the moment. Nice to see other Fogu users here! Are you a user there too or an anon?

Fogu, huh? I remember seeing the name before... Is it...

EDIT: it's also why PxZ2 has me on the fence: no English voices afaik. No Carina Reeves as Fiora is a pretty big deal breaker, as is no Mercer or Bailey, and it had Igiari instead of Objection.

To be fair, Project X Zone does feature characters who either didn't have an English VA despite appearing in games that were released overseas (Reiji, Xiaomu, Saya, etc.), or were in games that DIDN'T get released overseas (the VC3 trio, Aty, etc.).

Because some people have gotten it into their heads that all subs automatically > dubs. Not that I can blame them, with all the subpar dubs that have been handed to them for about a decade. But times have changed. Dubs have much higher standards now. And not just in video games; in anime too. FUNimation and Viz have been top-notch as of late.

I won't say too much, other than that mentality generally pisses me off.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Well, since my e-mail has been contradicted after I received it, I guess there's still hope for dual audio.

maybe I got pretty much the same email though theory is that they think were talking about the text or maybe they just didn't all get the memo on what to say.

Edited by goldenlance7

Well there's been quite a few comments since my last post. Anyways, in response to that English-centric person that wrote a heated comment on my ruminations about why I would not buy anything anymore from NOA, it's not that I hated Awakening or Xenoblade's dub. In fact, I LOVED the British in OG Xenoblade (preferably more than the Japanese, which is rare for me on English over Japanese) and as for XenoX, I don't have the full game but what I've heard by far is mediocre at best. What I was complaining about is that a feature that was present in previous titles (AKA Dual Audio) was removed from later releases as the franchise left the niche territory and became popular. This ticks me off, especially since I'm accustomed to having Dual Audio in at least half of the niche titles that I have played (everything localized by NISA.) It's pretty much the principle that localization feels they should hand-feed us when they're getting more in return, yet they didn't practice this earlier when they weren't getting as much or didn't get as much. If you don't believe, just watch and wait for a single Fatal Frame release to be as much of a hit as Awakening was. I'll bet you that the release after that hit title will include much much less than just a few costume changes.

-Edit-

For a better analogy, it's pretty much like having a father that's never there for you while you are young, and then all of a sudden you get older and more responsible and suddenly he wants to start parenting you. That's really an asshole move, even more so on the fact that personally speaking, that's exactly the deal with my own father. So yeah, when I feel like I'm being hand-fed something now, but wasn't before, I get skeptical and angry.

Edited by Kanethedragon

Well there's been quite a few comments since my last post. Anyways, in response to that English-centric person that wrote a heated comment on my ruminations about why I would not buy anything anymore from NOA, it's not that I hated Awakening or Xenoblade's dub. In fact, I LOVED the British in OG Xenoblade (preferably more than the Japanese, which is rare for me on English over Japanese) and as for XenoX, I don't have the full game but what I've heard by far is mediocre at best. What I was complaining about is that a feature that was present in previous titles (AKA Dual Audio) was removed from later releases as the franchise left the niche territory and became popular. This ticks me off, especially since I'm accustomed to having Dual Audio in at least half of the niche titles that I have played (everything localized by NISA.) It's pretty much the principle that localization feels they should hand-feed us when they're getting more in return, yet they didn't practice this earlier when they weren't getting as much or didn't get as much. If you don't believe, just watch and wait for a single Fatal Frame release to be as much of a hit as Awakening was. I'll bet you that the release after that hit title will include much much less than just a few costume changes.

-Edit-

For a better analogy, it's pretty much like having a father that's never there for you while you are young, and then all of a sudden you get older and more responsible and suddenly he wants to start parenting you. That's really an asshole move, even more so on the fact that personally speaking, that's exactly the deal with my own father. So yeah, when I feel like I'm being hand-fed something now, but wasn't before, I get skeptical and angry.

Xenoblade 3D and Xenoblade X only lost dual audio because of space limitations. Nothing more, nothing less.

I sent another email this is the response I got;

Response By Email (02/03/2016 09:39 AM)
Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. It’s not surprising that you want to know more information about the upcoming Fire Emblem: Fates games. I can certainly understand why you'd like to have the option of dual audio languages, like in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Having said that, Nintendo is very careful to only show a product when the developers are ready to do so. This means that you know as much as anyone else outside the development teams about these games. We just don’t have any additional information to provide.

Eventually, we will pull back the curtain and share all of these details on our website (www.nintendo.com). In the meantime, however, we appreciate your patience and ask that you continue checking the website.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Chantelle Lao

_
Customer By CSS Web (02/02/2016 12:55 PM)
Hello I'm sure you've gotten this question plenty of times in past few days but will you be able to switch to the japanese voice set of fire emblem fates like in awakening? I would prefer listening to the japanese voices like I did in awakening with english text as opposed to the english voices or getting the japanese version. Thank you for your assistance and patience with this question have a nice day/evening.
Question Reference # 160202-001647
  • Date Created: 02/02/2016 12:55 PM

looks like there actually keeping things under-wraps/are not informed.

Hope will never die!

This seems like the most honest answer we've gotten in the past week and a half on all this pre release misinformation. I think I'll just be content to wait on when an official statement is given or when we physically have the game instead of jumping the gun. That said, I'm keeping my expectations low on purpose.

That's... a lot more open than the previous emails.

If this email is factual, then the original email deconfirming dual audio cannot be, as by this logic, the person who responded to the first email would not know whether dual audio was in or not.

the weird thing is that when I first asked I got the same email as them though. I think they were just misinformed.

I don't have a link to it, but Polygon's stream confirmed that there's no dual audio.

......THEN WHY THE FUCK IS THE FILE SIZE BIGGER

Localizers didn't bother to compress the sound clips?

The audio is dummied out rather than entirely cut?

Probably other explanations.

I don't like this one bit. I always use Japanese audio when i have the option. I hate dubs.

To be fair, I might not have been NoA's choice.

There are two are two VAs in the japanese version that are well-know singers.

They could not have managed to get the right for their voices as it was said earlier.