FE style 32x32 tileset (compatible with SRPG Studio)

mcmagister

Because SRPG Studio's default tileset is ugly, I am building a new 32x32 tileset in a style similar to Thracia and the GBA games.

Here is a crude map I threw together to showcase the features currently included in the tileset:

Mountains

Rivers

Cliffs

Animated water

Forests

Four different types of open ground

[spoiler=The map running in SRPG studio, Large gif]

5D4DHbe.gif

More to come: houses, villages, castles, etc.

32x32FETileset.zip

Edited by mcmagister

I really like that dark grass -> light grass -> dirt -> sand transition, and the island with some trees and grass.

Thats the part Like the least... its fucking with the illusion of my veiwing angle/depth perception... But the map is gorgeous needless to say.

As somebody who used to make maps in Thracia's style, damn that's sexy.

You've done a great job and I can't see any flaws.

Thanks!

That looks pretty good, I assume the mountain tiles are still work in progress.

If it's the grid you're talking about, I have since reduced the grid's visibility:

oMR3I2O.png

I really like that dark grass -> light grass -> dirt -> sand transition, and the island with some trees and grass.

Thats the part Like the least... its fucking with the illusion of my veiwing angle/depth perception... But the map is gorgeous needless to say.

I wouldn't recommend using all four ground tiles in the same area, that area is to showcase the various ground transitions. Normal usage would be more like the paths on the west side.

If anything, I am missing diagonal "beach waves" to fill in the corners where the beach and water meet.

Damn this is good.

If I actually start a project, I'm using this.

Are you planning on making tiles for snow, indoor and lava/cave maps too?

Feel free to use it. I am looking at licenses and will probably use CC-BY-SA as the license. I'll be making indoor tiles for sure; can't have a Fire Emblem game without 'em. Snow and lava tiles (and ship tiles) are lower priority l'll get there eventually I hope. For now you can download a complete set of tiles from http://d.hatena.ne.jp/JAPANweb/ which covers everything.

Neuschwanstein colours:

a2yfzL8.png

These are awesome; makes me almost want to go back to 32x32 in xna...

Would I be able to modify these or is this not an open source project?

CC BY-SA 3.0

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

You can modify, but I will feed any changes I like back into the tileset for my own use.

Question: does FEXNA support tileset size larger than 16x16? Can the UI be modified to match the obviously higher resolution that would be required?

Edited by mcmagister

Question: does FEXNA support tileset size larger than 16x16? Can the UI be modified to match the obviously higher resolution that would be required?

Since it's created by actual code (and graphics), I would assume it can be changed; it would just take rejiggering to do so.

---

Really love the detail and graphics on the tiles. My only "gripe" is a bridge being the size of a fortress. Yes, yes, it's like that in the 16x16 tilesets, but at that size, you have less room and detail so it doesn't look as goofy. I'm wondering if it might not look a little more in line size-scope if it was like a quarter less wide? (So, 4 pixels on each side of the bridge.)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi copyleft,

you probably just found the most beautiful FE-like tileset there is out there. 🙂
I don't have the cursor animation, but you could consider extracting it from this image. 

There are actually some tiles missing here (castle, sand ect.). If you want to download all files you can get them in the ANB Toolbox:

pNz4bIm.png

(this image shows this 32x32 tileset from CMagister and two map sprites from FE7x,)

Link: Download and discussion at FE Universe

I will most probably add tiles (snow, hills ect.) to that in the future. But first I want to make sure that Tactile (FEXNA) is be able to use 32x32 tiles (again).

If you don't know what Tactile is, make sure to check out this topic: Tactile SRPG Engine and FEXNA

Edited by Poridur