Fire Emblem: The Blade's Legacy (Poll Added)

Moliblazer

Which route did you play through?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of chapter 3 did you choose?

• Chapter 3A (the forest) and I enjoyed my choice
    • Chapter 3A (the forest) and I regretted my choice
    • Chapter 3B (the way around) and I enjoyed my choice
    • Chapter 3B (the way around) and I regretted my choice

Fire Emblem: The Blade's Legacy

So, about one year ago, after being a FE fan and lurking these forums for a very long time, I decided to try and make a Fire Emblem hack of my own. The hack's release was nothing short of a trainwreck, so I lost interest in hacking for a long time. However, the hack stuck on my mind, and I finally decided to work on it again and make a second patch, which ironed out some bugs, rebalanced some things, slightly changed some text, and added 5 brand-new chapters!

Oh, and I also changed the name of the hack, because Fire Emblem: Spreading Flames was a dumb name.

This hack has: custom events, story, maps, names, portraits, chapters, battle palletes and two custom animation made by me.

----------

The story follows an ongoing war where the eastern kingdons of the continent of Rozar band together to defend against Uhanda, a invading country from the Uhandan Desert, which is seen by the Rozarians as a country of barbarians. The story is about the struggles of Zofia, a petty kingdon in Eastern Rozar as it tries to survive the conflict despite all odds.

------Screenshots------

Spoiler

3NVMVP2.png

QQ6vZyT.png

-------Download-------

LINK TO THE PATCH

The patch goes up to Chapter 8 and contains 12 chapters, including the Prologue, a route split, and two gaiden chapters.

Patch it to FE7 btw.

-------Credits------

Arch, Blazer and Primefusion for their tutorials

Agro, Primefusion and others I can't think of right now for kindly answering my questions

circleseverywhere for the Enemy Range Display Hacks

Brendor for the str/mag animation fix

jjl2357 for the Weapon Rank Display Hack

eCut and Skitty of Time for the Female Berzerker animation

The Blind Archer for the Halberdier 2.0 animation

MarkyJoe1990 and Feaw for the Female Shaman animation

A Nintenlord for a few of his patches

The creators of FEditor, Event Assembler, GBAGE, FE Recolor, Nightmare Modules, FE Map Creator, BSPallete Assembler, NUPS, etc

Probably more people I forgot

And Blazer and MarkyJoe1990 for inspiring me to make this hack

------------------

I didn't have anyone else to do playtesting, debugging for me, so any feedback and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated, also, don't expect too much from the story, as I'm a terrible writer and didn't really have a vision while making it.

Edited by AsukaDrag

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from what I'm reading this looks very interesting, good luck!

You can add screenshots if you use the full editor and click on the "Image" Icon and then you have to insert the link of your image.

I personally upload my images to www.postimg.org and then I just copy the link and insert it.

LTjd2UZ.png

make an imgur account or another image hosting site

click the image and this window should come up

click the red circled link

it will copy automatically, then paste that link here and youll display them

Ghast and I playing through this right now. We expect good things!

I can't even describe how honored I am to hear that!

A multitude of mistakes were made

unknown.png

RIP everyone (and my hopes and dreams)

Also on turn 34(?) I'm not entirely sure what happened but the game soft resets because of something going on.

I've had the soft reset thing happen to me one or two times, but I'm not sure what causes it... The game just seems to give up suddenly and it doesn't always happen. There's no event whatsoever in turn 34. The only other time I've had the game soft reset lie that was when I messed with the AI, so it may be related to that, but I'm not sure.

If anyone knows what causes it and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I lol'd pretty hard.

Why does Derrick call Terra "Linda" in their talk conversation in the first map?

Random movement, crashing:

On t25 of the first map, I realized I had consigned Lucianna to death, and that was not-okay, so I started over.

Buuut when I was replaying... three things went differently:

Turn 20 Savestate

An Eliwood-lookalike decides to tour across from the top-left to the bottom of the map.

Turn 21, same thing happens, but moving to the top right.

Have a tour album.

Turn 22, game just decides to crash during enemy phase:

Savestate

...Am I supposed to be killing tons of the enemy units?

The only things I know I did differently were

a) Not sending Lucianna and Borivoj to the top right village (Iron Rune)

b) Getting the Emblem Bow

Resetting after the game froze up caused the Eliwood-lookalike to run from the top left corner of the map in a small loop before exiting on the tile south of the thicket on the left edge of the map, and not freeze.

... :???:

It froze again on Turn 26. No runaround, though.

And again on Turn 31, though this time it had the Eliwood-lookalike run around.

Why does Derrick call Terra "Linda" in their talk conversation in the first map?

Random movement, crashing:

On t25 of the first map, I realized I had consigned Lucianna to death, and that was not-okay, so I started over.

Buuut when I was replaying... three things went differently:

Turn 20 Savestate

An Eliwood-lookalike decides to tour across from the top-left to the bottom of the map.

Turn 21, same thing happens, but moving to the top right.

Have a tour album.

Turn 22, game just decides to crash during enemy phase:

Savestate

...Am I supposed to be killing tons of the enemy units?

The only things I know I did differently were

a) Not sending Lucianna and Borivoj to the top right village (Iron Rune)

b) Getting the Emblem Bow

Resetting after the game froze up caused the Eliwood-lookalike to run from the top left corner of the map in a small loop before exiting on the tile south of the thicket on the left edge of the map, and not freeze.

... :???:

It froze again on Turn 26. No runaround, though.

And again on Turn 31, though this time it had the Eliwood-lookalike run around.

The "Linda" thing was most likely a typo, and I've fixed it already.

As for the random movement crashing, I have no clue what caused it, but just reassembling the chapter seems to have fixed it.

Here's a link to a new patch with those issues(hopefully) fixed:

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k9wjsji86tgb6t/Fire%20Emblem%20Spreading%20Flames%20v.0.12.ups?dl=0][/url]

I'll update the link in the first post too.

Btw, you are supposed to be really outnumbered throught the chapter. The strategy I used is to:

try and advance as much as possible so I have room to retreat later on when I get overwelmed.

. . .just how many enemies are on that map?

Also, were any save states involved before the game reset?

(basic debugging, but I'm weird like that)

There are probably 50 enemies on the map most of the time.

As far as I remember, of the two times I had the game reset on me, one I had used save states and the other I hadn't.

Edited by AsukaDrag

One or two quick things: Mug quality is all over the place

Some are good (like Leonidas), quite a few aren't (like everyone who's missing a neck or has a head too big for their body or vice versa

Also pls change all the zoomed in faces to chibis for the minimugs

They're better.

And less lazy.

One or two quick things: Mug quality is all over the place

Some are good (like Leonidas), quite a few aren't (like everyone who's missing a neck or has a head too big for their body or vice versa

Also pls change all the zoomed in faces to chibis for the minimugs

They're better.

And less lazy.

The mug quality being iffy is kinda to be expected considering I make all of them myself. I have a lot of experience in splicing, but I really can't say I'm good at it, and I can't make sprites from scratch for the life of me. There are mugs I hope to remake someday, like Marik and Lucianna, but considering I also have to make everything else, I don't know when I'll get to it.

Either way, I'm really not a good judge of my own work, so I'd love to get feedback on which mugs are considered to be the worst, so I can iimprove and work on slowly replacing them.

Also, as for the zoomed in faces, not only am I unable to make chibis (because I suck at it), but I also quite like the zoomed in faces, so I probably won't be replacing them unless I magically get someone do make them for me... Sorry...

Edited by AsukaDrag

The mug quality being iffy is kinda to be expected considering I make all of them myself. I have a lot of experience in splicing, but I really can't say I'm good at it, and I can't make sprites from scratch for the life of me. There are mugs I hope to remake someday, like Marik and Lucianna, but considering I also have to make everything else, I don't know when I'll get to it.

Either way, I'm really not a good judge of my own work, so I'd love to get feedback on which mugs are considered to be the worst, so I can iimprove and work on slowly replacing them.

Also, as for the zoomed in faces, not only am I unable to make chibis (because I suck at it), but I also quite like the zoomed in faces, so I probably won't be replacing them unless I magically get someone do make them for me... Sorry...

It's (apparently) ezpz

Link!

Damn it, the soft reset thing happened to me too..

But the game resets again everytime I resumed the chapter.

Am I supposed to restart the chapter now.. ? :sob:

This reset thing is starting to get on my nerves...

In which turn did it happen? I want to gather as much information on it as possible.

If enough people keep running into that problem, I just might have to post a save state to the end of the chapter... (This is the only chapter in which this happens)

Edited by AsukaDrag

Make a topic in the Sprites section! You can also find some help with how to make a proper chibi in there, too.

Done: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60315

It's (apparently) ezpz

Link!

This method may seem easy, but it's still some work, and considering there are like 30+ portraits in the game, I probably won't be changing the zoom ins into chibis unless there is enough popular demand...

Then again, you are like 25% of my playerbase, I'll think about it.

Encountered the soft reset at Turn 33

Just give us a savestate

I've encountered the soft reset a couple more times while trying to make this save state.

It appears that the reset is somehow tied to that last reinforcement wave (the warriors and berserkers), but removing their AI didn't have an effect... Looks like we're still far from the solution...

In the meantime here's a savestate for anyone who runs into the glitch: DOWNLOAD

The state takes you to turn 35 and I haven't activated any of the talk conversations, so you can view them if you wish, but, if you don't care about that, just move Borivoj into a fort and End your turn, and you should win.

This method may seem easy, but it's still some work, and considering there are like 30+ portraits in the game, I probably won't be changing the zoom ins into chibis unless there is enough popular demand...

Then again, you are like 25% of my playerbase, I'll think about it.

It's worth it fam

. . .okay, that IS weird.

When everything calms down, I'll give this a shot. Not sure if the logging capabilities of VBA will catch this, though.

EDIT: Made it to turn 8, no crash or errors thrown. Made it somewhat further before someone or other dies. Running out of weapons is A Thing, which kinda sucks. Might want to get someone to edit the script, because it's a bit clunky right now.

I have half a mind to use Armor Guy as a Nomad choke point, have him arm the Silver Lance, and sit there until the turn limit is said and done.

Edited by eclipse

MINOR SPOILERS

Still playing the first chapter and all I can say is WOW this is awesome. I love how the first chapter starts with high level units its refreshing and creative and different from almost all the other Fire Emblem games out there. The characters fit their roles well ....Lucio is powerful but not invincible and can get doubled. Leonidas is a killing machine but that allows more enemies to attack him at once, so he's also not invincible. Lucianna is exactly how a Paladin should be in my opinion, high movement but not super strong or tanky. Even the healer has the perfect amount of dodging ability while still being a one or two shot kill.

I am super excited for the rest of the game and wanted to say keep up the great work!! FOR ZOFIA!!!!!