How do I approach College?

IceBrand

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different people have different degrees of difculty dealing with university. There is definitely something to be said for starting off easy. I did this by taking a summer class or two, and then taking fewer classes in the fall. THis is highly recommended (i do it whenever possible), because 3 credits now and 9 credits latter is a LOT easier than 12 credits latter, and it breaks you in slowly. Additionally, the most popular classes in community colleges tend to fill up, leaving you unable to take requirements. This is a lot less true over the summer.

It also depends on the school and major

I can't speak for a major I wasn't in, but as far as I'm concerned Applied Math was a lot easier (still a lot of work, but generally alright) than Compsci in my school, which is generally regarded as "will kill you" "survival of the fittest" and "probably won't let you graduate in 4 years even though it's a 4 year program unless you really good at school"

I beat it in 4 years with a second major bc i git gud

But there's some especially hard roadblock (mainly theory) courses that otherwise very good programmers--and they're my coworkers, I can vouch for their ability-- have trouble completing on time.

My school requires 12 credits (3 per class, usually) per semester just to stay full time and get full time benefits, unless you're graduating. I usually did 15-17 per semester, once going up to 20 because that's when I got into the accelerated grad program and needed to shove a grad class in.

I've taken everything you guys said into consideration; it's definitely useful. Quick question though, is College food any better or worse than regular high school public meals? Cooking is a skill I really need to learn but am not good at. Instant noodles is like my lunch and dinner.

That's probably not the healthiest choice. I can only speak for where I go but meal plans are designed for profit so get off that when you can. Learn to cook because it'll save you money and weight.

as a teaching assistant

listen to your TAs instructions, visit their office hours, dont ask them questions the night before an assignment is due, don't hesitate to schedule an appointment with them, and check your email often

holy shit the amount of people sending me emails the night before a lab report is due is fucking bonkers, i was up for like 2 hours one time answering one email after another and i yelled at my class the next day to do their lab reports sooner because i get home at 10pm on monday nights and dont want to stay up until 12 answering emails. instead i want to eat and do my own work

furthermore, the amount of questions i get that i respond to with "i sent out an email on this day about it" is also fucking ridiculous, and the amount of people that don't follow the basic directions i send in my emails OR ask questions about it irritates me a significant amount more

so please don't make the graduate students that will be your TAs suffer. it should not be hard

do you ta intro physics labs? or upper div? if it's upper div then damn i am surprised. at my school people seem pretty on top of things in the lab, and don't need to email anyone except their own partners.

Intro Physics lab

upper level would surprise me though, from my understanding they're better there

Also, this site might save you time and heartache, but it's not always perfect so always double check.

Get used to citing everything you can, and using as many sources as possible. Get to know and love all the libraries and Co-op bookshops in your area. And, as I only learned near the end of my first semester, it's generally considered better to paraphrase than to quote directly.

Continuing on what parr said, I recommend https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/. I only used MLA while I was in college however. I think I was pretty good at citations though, because I caught a few formatting errors in class slideshows and stuff and I've never seen anyone else do that :smug:

you might as well but strunk and white's book at this point. one of your gen eds will probably make you buy it anyway.

Not necessarily. My school had a special grammar/style textbook.

More advice: Campus bookstores often overcharge for textbooks. the previous edition off amazon (which most teachers let you get) can be 1/5th the price (that number comes from an actual textbook i just purchased). Even the same edition is often 2/3rds of the price online.

Edited by sirmola

Along with previous editions of textbooks, "international editions" of textbooks are typically (always in my experience) in english, and identical in content to the standard edition of the textbook, but usually much cheaper. Int editions don't always exist though. They are usually in trade paperback binding instead of hardcover.

Branching off what everyone else has said, if you can find a pdf of a textbook, do that. It'll save you costs on books semester after semester, and on top of that, if it's on your computer, you can use the quick search function to find things quickly! It's great! Here's a link of websites where you can find pdf textbooks.

If you can't find pdf textbooks, then the cheapest option you can possibly do is rent used textbooks, but only if you can. Even better advice is to go to class twice and find out from your teachers if you even need the textbooks. If you don't, then don't bother searching. If you do, search online. Otherwise, rent if you can't find it. Never buy books. You'll get ripped the hell off if you try to sell them.

You'll get ripped the hell off if you try to sell them.

That only applies if you WANT to sell them. I want to keep all of my college textbooks, so i bought them all. I recomend doing this for basic classes like comp, calculus, and intro to comp-sci, as well as disciplines where you expect to have to look things up latter. YOu can also buy textbooks directly from previous beople who took the class, which is another time it may be worth buying. Otherwise, just rent. Also, some textbooks (like the commonly used calculus textbook) are so common that you may be able to borrow it from a friend. (My brother, for example, will go to the same school that i did, so he will probably borrow all of my basic textbooks).

Also, old textbooks are just good sources for essays and such in general, so cite them extensively. You will need a lot of sources.

Oh, another thing I only learned when it was too late. If they give you a textbook? They want you to cite it. It's the only reason I didn't get a High Distinction on my first ever lit studies essay ;.;

Also, old textbooks are just good sources for essays and such in general, so cite them extensively. You will need a lot of sources.

Oh, another thing I only learned when it was too late. If they give you a textbook? They want you to cite it. It's the only reason I didn't get a High Distinction on my first ever lit studies essay ;.;

I recently spent hours trying to research data for a class project and checking all kinds of journals and asking several librarians, before realizing that it was, of course, in the text book.

Also, you can often get away with checking out books for lit classes from the library, assuming you can find a copy that someone else in your class has not checked out already. This works because lit classes tend to do around a book a week (although lit classes use books with non-textbook pricing, they tend to use enough books per class that it adds up). Getting the right translation is also important in foreign lit classes. it matters a LOT.